mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Converting to to a 2 X 10 or a 1 X 10 ?

I am looking into going to a 2 X 10 or perhaps even 1 X 10 on my precious Mojo SL.

This relies on roughly three things being compatible:

Will a 10speed cassette fit on my CK hub currently running 9 speed?
    (I believe so.)

For a 1 X 10 is there an aftermarket sprocket that can bolt onto (3 X 9) XTR crank spiders with the correct chain line?

I am guessing that for a 2 X 10 the front setup may need a dedicated crankset, but hopefully not, as once again having the correct chain line would be the issue.

Cheers,

Rob

Where will I be riding this? www.makarapeak.org/northface

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    the 10sp cassette should bolt right up to your CK hub just fine. most hubs these days will take 10sp if it takes 9sp. i cant really think of any exceptions but im leaving that one open.

not sure about any chain ring rec's. i am thinking about going 2x10 myself

www.derbyrims.com
    2/10 next time for me. Check out the Drivetrain "sticky" post on Shimano's Dyna-sys 10 speed compatibilities. 10 speed chains work with 9 speed rings, cranks, front der, and shifter. The Shimano 10 speed front shifter works with 9 speed too, using a 10 speed chain. A 10 speed chain is required for the cogs. There is no hub fit difference from 8 and 9 speed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As far as your crank is concerned, for 2x10 just get rid of your big ring and put on a bash guard, old rings will work fine with the new cassette and chain (unless they have wear, in which case you should replace everything for consistent performance). For 1x put your ring of choice (likely the old middle ring unless you're gearing up or down from there) where the middle ring would usually go and use singlespeed chainring bolts (with shorter stack height) to hold it there. If you go 1x you should consider a guide of tensioner of some kind, the MRP 1.x is light, simple and popular, or there are many more DH-oriented guides out there with more protection for the ring. If you go 2x10 get a medium cage rear changer, short cage for the 1x. Depending on spacing/clearance on your guide you may have to shave the sockets that the small ring bolts into down or off for the single ring. The change is super easy are really worth it. I say go to the 1x, get a good guide, and toast all your buddies up the hill as they sit and spin their 22t and you hammer up in the 32...at least that's how it's been going for me, and I only have 1x9 =)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

1x9

I went 1 x 9 in the beginning of the season. I was alittle nervous about it because I was going to start racing. Once my legs got alittle stronger there's no going back, ever. After thinking about using the granny gear, most people that spend big bucks on a Mojo should at least ride/train enough to never need the granny. As for the big gear, we aren't road riding our mojo's so what is the sence of it?

my2c

Mojo

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ugh. I see some of you have not had knee issues. Grunting it out 1x style or single speed style may make you look manly now, but wait until you get older. Maybe you won't ever have knee issues in old age, but statistics say you will. I used to stand and pound the pedals uphill in 32t ring. But lately, I'm starting to use 22t granny as protecting my knees is becoming more important than looking cool or manly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, I don't think I would be doing 50+ mile epics with steep climbs with just a 32t...not gonna happen. I see a lot of guys on single speeds and 1x setups doing a lot of walking around here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    In new products and inovations forum ther is a 38 tooth conversion kit to fit XT casettes.I'm thinking about it.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I've found 1x9 to be great, I can't wait to move up to 10 in the back and grab a 12-36t. I guess it largely depends on where you ride, but I've found a 35t chainring to work pretty darn well.

What generation XTR do you have? If it's 960 it may require a pretty specific ring if I remember correctly.

The new generation double cranks are different bolt spacing than whats been standard for several years, if you want a combination like those offer, you'll need a new crankset. Traditional triples have been 22-32-44, some folks replace the big ring with a bashguard and run them as 22-32 or step up to 24-34 (or even 36). The new SRAM double-only cranks offer 26-29 or 28-42. There is currently no way of setting up bash guard on those, except in some cases a BB mounted bash like the MRP XCG.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had been riding 2x9 and then converted to 1x9 tw seasons ago, just convertewd to 1x10 and couldn't be happier. Sorry to say manlier or cooler wasn't my main motivation. As long as I have a little momentum and RPM's I can actually climb more efficiently. I am currently pushing a 28 tooth front Widgit chainring/guard, and a Sram 11-36 in the rear. I would never go back. Makes things much simpler up front too.

Members who have read this thread: 0