Comparing Ibis Ripley LS V2 vs the Ripley V4?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Comparing Ibis Ripley LS V2 vs the Ripley V4?

I have been riding an Ibis Ripley since 2014. I bought the original Geo V1 and then upgrading to the LS V2 and have had that since 2016. So this is my 5th season on the LS. I have an itch to buy a new bike. I live in Michigan so I don't have any huge uphills or huge downhills just alot of rolling terrain with alot of technical and tight twisty single track with some steep technical switchbacks.

So I was thinking of looking at the Pivot Mach 4 SL because not sure I need the extra travel. However I have been so happy with Ibis the past 7 years I think it might be hard to switch brands. I have also owned the Tranny 29 and Mojo 3 in the past. But I have settled on the 29er wheelset and not really interested in hardtails anymore because I like the way FS takes the edge off.

So besides the Pivot I am looking at the Ripley V4. My concern is that the Mojo 3 had the slack HA like the Ripley V4 and I found it somewhat sluggish on my singletrack trails compared to my Ripley LS. Also concerned the Riply V4 will not climb as well as the Ripley LS. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Ripley is better for more open, up and down terrain IMO. I replaced my Ripley LS with the new Ripley and didn't like it as much for local, tight, flattish terrain. GREAT for out west, though. Picked up a Mach 4SL for the local stuff. The Ripley V4 is fine for the flatter twisties, just not as quick or fun in that stuff as the 4SL. If you thought the Mojo 3 was sluggish at 67.5*, you don't want the new Ripley. It COULD have been that the Mojo 3 had plus tires on it, which also doesn't help in the sluggishness dept.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've owned the Ripley V2 and currently on a V4, I do think it is a little slower in the tight turns, but it's very very close to the V2. I am not the normal rider as I like a slower turning bike, the V4 feels less twitchy to me(I consider this 'less fast' in tight turns) but that's just my personal style. It isn't a game changer vs the V2 though and feels almost exactly the same as a Pivot 429(not 4SL).

Climbing V2 and V4 are exactly the same, I felt no difference really.

I am also in Michigan, where ya at?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had an OG Ripley, went to a V4 and back to an LS. For me, the V4 isn't as good for rolling terrain. I ended up with a lot of wrist/hand pain. I personally think it's an out west bike.
    It might have worked for me if I had gone medium instead of large, but that would have defeated the point.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    depends on what you ride. i ride in front range co, you ride up then you ride down, some the trails are steep, a lot of the trails are chunky, most of them are both. i feel like v4 is ideal for this terrain. a year before v4 came out i was in market for ripley LS but passed on it after local demo ride. glad i did. but like others have stated, V4 might not be as good as LS V2 for flattish, rolling terrain, but we dont have much of that here so it doesnt bother me much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Agree with both TwoTone and Cavo. I own both a V3 and V4 and I love both for different reasons. V3 is very comfortable on flats and on rolling terrain and climbs great, I can ride all day without issue. DH on the V3 is fun as its poppy and entertaining ride. I am not as confident on steep DHs or when Im really pushing it as it feels like it wonders a bit. Because of where I ride I have gone to a 140 36 fork and a DPX2 which really made the bike shine. Im 220lbs and changing the fork and shock made a huge difference.

The V4 is fine on flats and rolling terrain and also climbs great, but I am not as comfortable on it on longer rides. After a couple hours I start to feel pressure on wrists, thankfully the majority of my rides are 2hrs. On DH runs the V4 really shines, very confident feeling and holds its line fantastically. I have not changed the fork or shock like on the V3, but I did order it with traction tune.

I have looked at my rides and the only place Im noticeably faster is on the V4 on DHs. If I could only have one Id stay with the V3.
    (I live in N CA so most if not all my riding is up or down, not a lot of flat)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxrick View Post
    I've owned the Ripley V2 and currently on a V4, I do think it is a little slower in the tight turns, but it's very very close to the V2. I am not the normal rider as I like a slower turning bike, the V4 feels less twitchy to me(I consider this 'less fast' in tight turns) but that's just my personal style. It isn't a game changer vs the V2 though and feels almost exactly the same as a Pivot 429(not 4SL).

Climbing V2 and V4 are exactly the same, I felt no difference really.

I am also in Michigan, where ya at?
    I am in Bloomfield Hills. Where are you at?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks guys for all the honest answers. Nice that people don't just try and justify there current rides. I really like the honesty. From reading this post seems to me I have the perfect bike with my LS V2 and no need to look farther. It would cool however to add a Pivot 4SL but me thinks I don't have the money that Bman in the D has. LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I worked at a large dealer with a big demo fleet until the shutdown. So I got employee pricing 😀
    I had taken a V4 demo out several times before I bought but I never took it out on a 2+ hr ride so my wrist issues never popped up. I might add Ive had surgery on both wrists due to nerve damage so my experience might be unique to me. I still love the bike as it flies on DHs and most of my rides are under 2hrs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    I am in Bloomfield Hills. Where are you at?
    I'm in Madison Heights, usually ride up at Bloomer. What size bike you ride? I have a medium if you wanted to meet up one day and give it a try.

I did 18 miles Monday, 11 on flat, and had no wrist pain at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Thanks guys for all the honest answers. Nice that people don't just try and justify there current rides. I really like the honesty. From reading this post seems to me I have the perfect bike with my LS V2 and no need to look farther. It would cool however to add a Pivot 4SL but me thinks I don't have the money that Bman in the D has. LOL
    4SL is nice bc Cocalis and Pivot haven't bought into the ultra-steep seat tube angle hype. they are not very long either, for better or worse. probably works better out east than the V4 Ripley; not that the ripley is a bad all-around bike by any means.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxrick View Post
    I'm in Madison Heights, usually ride up at Bloomer. What size bike you ride? I have a medium if you wanted to meet up one day and give it a try.

I did 18 miles Monday, 11 on flat, and had no wrist pain at all.
    Bloomer is actually the one place I never go. It always seems wet and I got lost there. My favorite places are Pontiac Lake and Island Lake. But I also like Bald Mountain north and Addison Oak. PM me your cell and when all this craziness settles down I will hit you up. I ride a medium so it would be perfect. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I rode a trail yesterday near Glen Rose, TX with my buddy to whom I sold my Ripley LS while I rode my V4. The trail was typical west-of-Ft. Worth terrain, pretty flat with a few short ups and downs with loose shale and rocky ledges and some tight stuff through the trees back and forth across a creek. There is NO doubt in my my mind that his bike was better than mine for that trail. Shorter WB, quicker, less steep STA and steeper HTA all contributed. Newer geo is not ALWAYS better. My 4SL might have been better than the V4 there but the extra travel of the LS would have been perfect.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This thread is really helpful.

I am with the same dilemma: change to v4 or maintain my v2 LS, which is an excellent climber and a correct downloader. I wonder if opening the head angle a degree, I can get a behavior similar to v4 (I know reach is much different) and make it a better descender.

My LS has a 120 Pike, so I suspect that the head angle now is around 68 degrees, and it would go to 67. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tols View Post

I am with the same dilemma: change to v4 or maintain my v2 LS, which is an excellent climber and a correct downloader. I wonder if opening the head angle a degree, I can get a behavior similar to v4 (I know reach is much different) and make it a better descender.

My LS has a 120 Pike, so I suspect that the head angle now is around 68 degrees, and it would go to 67. What do you think?
    I run my LS with 140mm fork, I wouldn't run it with a 120mm.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I run my Rip LS V2 with a 130 mm Pike and it feels perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tols View Post

I have a 140 Pike on my LS v2 and that slackens HTA to 67 degrees. Feels pretty good. I test rode a V4 and man it felt like riding a Harley it was so slack. I think i just prefer a bit steeper HTA for better handling. But like everybody is saying, pick the bike best for you and your area you ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Linuxrick was kind enough to meet me today for a ride. I test rode his V4 and what I came away with is it is better at everything over my LS V2. His is even slacked out more than a standard 130mm V4. I really, really loved that bike. And I found a new guy I can ride with which is even more important than knowing I really love the V4. Now just gotta test ride the Pivot Mach 4 SL, sell my V2 and then decide between the V4 and the Pivot. The journey is as fun as the destination. Thanks again Rick great meeting you and so great to find someone to ride with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Linuxrick was kind enough to meet me today for a ride. I test rode his V4 and what I came away with is it is better at everything over my LS V2. His is even slacked out more than a standard 130mm V4. I really, really loved that bike. And I found a new guy I can ride with which is even more important than knowing I really love the V4. Now just gotta test ride the Pivot Mach 4 SL, sell my V2 and then decide between the V4 and the Pivot. The journey is as fun as the destination. Thanks again Rick great meeting you and so great to find someone to ride with.
    Did you notice the different seating position in the V4 vs your LS? When i jump on my old hardtail with its slack SA vs my V4 with the steeper SA and overall more aggressive geometry, i really feel like im sitting waaaayyy back over the tire (i'm 6'4" on XL frames) and its always an adjustment. So much so, it takes a bit to adjust in my riding to ride the bike the way it needs (more or less attack stance).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Comparing Ibis Ripley LS V2 vs the Ripley V4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks. Finally, no angle headsets and no new Ripley - Ive got the new YT Izzo. Lets see how this thing rides!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JonF1 View Post
    Did you notice the different seating position in the V4 vs your LS? When i jump on my old hardtail with its slack SA vs my V4 with the steeper SA and overall more aggressive geometry, i really feel like im sitting waaaayyy back over the tire (i'm 6'4" on XL frames) and its always an adjustment. So much so, it takes a bit to adjust in my riding to ride the bike the way it needs (more or less attack stance).
    Yes and I loved it. That is exactly what I told Rick I liked the most about the new Ripley was that the new seating position puts you in such a better pedaling position. But when going downhill the slacker head angle brings confidence. My lbs is getting me a demo Mach 4 SL in the next couple of weeks so excited to get out with Rick again with both bikes to make a final decision. Best part is Rick and I are the same height and weight so when we switch back and forth there is no adjustments to be made.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Dad View Post
    I worked at a large dealer with a big demo fleet until the shutdown. So I got employee pricing 😀
    I had taken a V4 demo out several times before I bought but I never took it out on a 2+ hr ride so my wrist issues never popped up. I might add Ive had surgery on both wrists due to nerve damage so my experience might be unique to me. I still love the bike as it flies on DHs and most of my rides are under 2hrs.
    Have you tried a bigger sweep on your bar? 12˚ or more?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    @Woodstock MTB-
    I have not tried it (more sweep bar) specifically on the V4. I hated the Ibis bars, which I believe have more sweep then what Im currently using. Currently run Renthal Fatbar Carb Riser which I think is maybe 8 backsweep. I have ridden a few bikes with 12 plus sweep bars on just parking lot spins. Always felt comfortable but on more tech type DH runs Im not sure Id want it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    4SL is nice bc Cocalis and Pivot haven't bought into the ultra-steep seat tube angle hype. they are not very long either, for better or worse. probably works better out east than the V4 Ripley; not that the ripley is a bad all-around bike by any means.

So, in the road bike world, steep seat angles were used for TT bikes but never for general use as the lore was that they were associated with knee issues. Maybe for mountain biking, with the generally shorter seat times and more overall movement on the bike, this may not cause a problem but am surprised it is not discussed.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.