Coil shock on mojo 3?- Mtbr.com
    Got rocks?

Coil shock on mojo 3?

So Iím considering doing this out of curiosity and since Iím always on the search for a smooth ride. Has anyone tried a coil shock on a M3 with MRPís progressive coil? Any pro/cons or would it be a waste?

My cup runneth over
    I read somewhere on this forum that the M3 isn't designed for a coil shock - I don't remember the reasons or if that meant it would perform horribly. Maybe reach out to Ibis and see what they say. I also ride an M3 and would be interested to hear the response.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Suspension kinematics are set up linear, won't work with a linear (coil) shock.

Got rocks?
    Thatís why I asked about the MRP coil. Itís a progressive spring designed so frames with linear curves can run a coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    It probably wonít work that well. The MRP springs are not that progressive; the end of the travel will be similar to a regular spring rate about 50lbs higher. A bike as linear as an M3 will still bottom out on reasonably large hits. You may also find itís firmer through the midstroke than a more progressive air can would be, but since thatís not addressing a complaint typically made about DW Link bikes, it would probably be a negative. Most of the appeal of springs comes their predictable ramp up and their easier breakaway due to a lack of air seals. The latter is overblown and the former isnít really true when theyíre used in combination with the strongly progressive leverage ratios needed to prevent the bikes from bottoming out. Your money would be better spent on a decently adjustable air shock with a good size negative spring, or maybe just a custom tune on what youíre running now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    Thatís why I asked about the MRP coil. Itís a progressive spring designed so frames with linear curves can run a coil

You would probably need something like the Push ACS3, an air assist that controls the end of travel progression. I have a HD3, that I suppose is quite similar to the Mojo, and the rear is very linear, based on the graphs I have seen around. Fact is that even at my weight, 168 with gear, I need volume spacers in my RP3/DPX2 to avoid blowing through the travel.

Why don't you try a DPX2? The need for a reservoir is questionable, but the main problem with the DPS is the lack of adjustability, and the DPX2 has more of it.

Got rocks?
    I have a tuned DPX2 on it now but always curious about different things. Thought a coil would be interesting. I ran them back in the day but that was a long time ago.

mtbr member
    I have a tuned DPX2 on it now but always curious about different things. Thought a coil would be interesting. I ran them back in the day but that was a long time ago.
    Where did you tune the DPX2? I used it on my HD3 fro about two weeks but it am basically keeping it all open for compression (it was an aftermarket M/M), might benefit having the option to go softer ...

Got rocks?
    The bike company custom tuned it and I run lsc open and climb switch open. I feel like it still lacks compliance on real rocky trails in general.

mtbr member
    The bike company custom tuned it and I run lsc open and climb switch open. I feel like it still lacks compliance on real rocky trails in general.

Do you mean that Ibis sent you the shock? FOX custom tunes are still designed for an average rider, you probably have the DPX2 S/M. You might want to talk with Avalanche Downhill Racing or www.dirtlabs.com. I never use the climb switch on DPS or DPX2, but I do run them close to, or fully, open ... that's why I am curious about having a softer compression/faster rebound.

Got rocks?

Coil shock on mojo 3?

No the bike came with a dps. I bought the shock after and the bike company did their pro-tune on it. It was an improvement for sure. But I feel like there is room for a bit more. Feels like it could be smoother in areas with lots of small rocks.
    I had a Ellsworth epiphany before with a push tuned shock and that think felt great .

Got rocks?

Coil shock on mojo 3?

So the shock I have on now had a custom tune in it already, but still stiff. A buddy of mine serviced it and revalved it and from the drive way test it made a HUGE difference. Gonna ride it this weekend but it feels way more responsive than before. Not maxed out on any clickers LSC/rebound. I ave a lot more wiggle room for tuning. Hopefully satisfies my itch for different suspension.