mtbr member
    Apr 2009

classic Mojo no more ? only SL / HD

came across this while reading a posting talking about MTBR reviews. Guess makes sense as people were wondering about Mojo/Mojo Sl/Mojo HD 140 having a ton of overlap... wonder if the entry into the Mojo land just went up $200 then ?

-----
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/allmtn...7_1547crx.aspx

from petiot:
    I managed to get one of the last Mojo classic frame. for info, Ibis stops the production of the Mojo classic, but keep the SL (and will add the classic's colors to the SL range), to make room for the HD140 (all this confirmed by Scot Nicols himself).
    -----------

Alain "happy to be a classic owner"

bike rider
    It came out like 5 years ago. Since then they found better material to make it out of (SL) so why keep making the original. It's already a $2000 frame so it's not like this was a "budget" version.
    To me it's not a surprise since the Tranny and HD are made of the high modulus fabric it's obvious Ibis prefers it.
    Keep the Country country.

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    It came out like 5 years ago. Since then they found better material to make it out of (SL) so why keep making the original. It's already a $2000 frame so it's not like this was a "budget" version.
    To me it's not a surprise since the Tranny and HD are made of the high modulus fabric it's obvious Ibis prefers it.
    Not quite 5 years, a tad over 4, as consumers were able to start getting the classic in mid 2006. Also I wouldn't call it a 'better material', it is still carbon fiber made from the same precursor PAN, they have done some more refining to increase the MSI, so they could use less material during the layups

Edit: oops 2006 not 1996, my Specialized Epic Ultimate (carbon tube & ti lugs) is that old!
    Last edited by pastajet; 09-19-2010 at 12:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    can't say that I'm surprised either (doesn't make sense to produce 3 overlapping models).

Are SL parts interchangeable with the regular mojo ? rear and front triangle - so we can have spare parts in the future if something breaks ?
    I assume so since they use the same links... that also means having the same colors (shinny clear carbon, not just matt, and pesto/orange) or it could look ugly mismatch
    that's a LOT of colors...

any official words on this ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    All parts are compeletly interchangeable

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Good news! Awhile back I posted how I love my 07 Eddie Orange but now I'm digging my wifes new SL. Can't buy a blue one cause she has one and the other colors aren't my fav. Looks like a Eddy Orange SL is in my future. Thanks Ibis!!!
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by straw
    Good news! ..... Looks like a Eddy Orange SL is in my future. Thanks Ibis!!!
    Me too Straw (you know how we like the orange!) but only if I break my "classic"
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So it got me thinking... all the regular colors are now available on the SL *except* the nude shinny carbon (instead of matt on the SL) which I would think was the most popular 'color'.

That means if you break a front/rear, you'll be left with a matt black SL replacement part which doesn't match... Oh no! my stylish carbon bike could become frankenstein.... bummer.

Members who have read this thread: 0