mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Chain suck plate

Hi, I'd Iike to know if anyone's tried to order in the chain suck plate? Mine got scraped clean off in the first month I had the bike (that was May) due to uh, chain-suck, and I've ordered up a new one

But my LBS says they haven't received their shipment yet. Is this an item that is out of stock or long on the back-order list? It's now July

Any info wld be great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    They are on a boat. Should be in stock in a couple of weeks.
    Hans

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Spares

I have a few of these as spares so if you live in Canberra, Australia I could sell you one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ordered a couple and still have one left.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I JB Welded my plate on but it has popped off. Anybody have tips on preparing the inside of the plate and the patch of JB Weld now stuck to the frame before I try again? I assume roughing up both surfaces and cleaning well is all I need to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    They are on a boat. Should be in stock in a couple of weeks.
    Hans
    Could you please ask them to stop rowing and turn on a motor? That would be lovely...thanks!

I need that and a stiff upper lip (well, link) as well.

mtbr member
    Ok.. though this might be intresting since I am sitting currently with the same problem... I have come across this...

A new epoxy product from Cotronics Corporation is both versatile and flexible. Duralco4538N is a super-flexible, rubber-like epoxy that provides the chemical stability of an epoxy and the flexibility of a silicone, as well as having excellent shock resistance and sound absorption properties (Fig.3). Furthermore, by adjusting the ratio of resin and catalyst, it is possible to vary the cured epoxy's hardness from 100 to 30 ShoreA. This unusual material adheres to most plastics, metals, ceramics, glass, rubber and even treated PTFE, curing in 16 to 24hours at room temperature. Its operating temperature range is -73 to 232C and it is suitable for bonding, sealing and encapsulating.

wonder if this will work... if not perhaps a acrylic adhesive ?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP
    A new epoxy product from Cotronics Corporation is both versatile and flexible. Duralco4538N is a super-flexible, rubber-like epoxy that provides the chemical stability of an epoxy and the flexibility of a silicone, as well as having excellent shock resistance and sound absorption properties wonder if this will work...
    I mentioned this in your thread but I suspect it is flexing where the guard is located hence the problems. A flexible adhesive should do the trick if it is indeed caused by frame flex.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 08-04-2008 at 02:09 PM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    I'm not 100% sure but don't think that is the area of flex. I think the glue/epoxy used may be softening up with heat and making the guard move if the chain scrapes it. I believe the main area of flex is the upper link junction. The frontal area of the swingarm appears to be very stiff but I think it is the upper linkage area that may exhibit some flex under the proper conditions. A seat tube brace MAY help as well. However, after running the Mojo for a few months along with a couple of solid bikes, I think the frontal and lower area of the swingarm is pretty solid.

Now that the SL is out, the regular Mojo could be beefed up a bit to not only make it stiffer but to also increase the tire clearance to accept 650B tires. As Derby pointed out in another post, that would bring the BB height up to "normal" height for those of us who like it that way. It would also keep the lower-BB fans happy since they can simply use 26" wheels and forks. Some of us could opt to use 650B wheels/fork and really rip on this thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Glue

A couple of comments on chain stay plate adhesion:
    1. roughing up the surfaces with sandpaper helps
    2. slightly flexible glue helps

We've have great luck with JB weld. It is a metal filled 2 part epoxy that is very strong and easy to find (at least in the US). Also Hysol DP 420.

I've tried RTV and for some reason it did not work well. I thought it would be great but....

Let us know if we can help.

via email hans@ibiscycles.com or phone 831 461 1435

H

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    A couple of comments on chain stay plate adhesion:
    1. roughing up the surfaces with sandpaper helps
    2. slightly flexible glue helps

We've have great luck with JB weld. It is a metal filled 2 part epoxy that is very strong and easy to find (at least in the US). Also Hysol DP 420.

I've tried RTV and for some reason it did not work well. I thought it would be great but....

Let us know if we can help.

via email hans@ibiscycles.com or phone 831 461 1435

H
    Thanks- I'm going to go ahead and do this proactively before that guide falls off during a hotter-than-hell ride. I should have ordered one during my last order but I can think off some more goodies and order them all at the same time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hans,

What part did the RTV NOT stick to?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think even after scuffing both surfaces it let go of the stainless.
    If I remember right it did stick to the clear coat.
    H
    Quote Originally Posted by burkut
    Hans,

What part did the RTV NOT stick to?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    When the current epoxy/JB fails, what does it stick to?

I've been using clear RTV for 20 years to hold these plates in place. It sticks to just about everything so it's a surprise it didn't adhere to the SS. Both Imron painted steel and brushed Ti work just fine. My Ti frame plate has been on for 10 years and is much more abused now than in the picture.

I think a smooth surface is actually better for the silicone than a roughed up one. The plates I've used in the past were made for the Trek carbon frames. I beat them with a hammer until the shape was right. They came with a adhesive already applied; just pull the backing and press into place. I didn't trust the adhesive alone so I just spooed some RTV on it and the rest is history. Very low tech. Never removed the old adhesive sticker.

Hans, prior to your experiment, I would have told these guys to not even bother sanding the frame or removing the old epoxy. Just put enough RTV on so it just squeezes out from under the guard. Wipe the excess but have enough under the edges so that dirt/water won't get in. That's a lot of surface area, I would think it would work.

Did it really not stick to the steel?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Yrmv

There are probably variations in the material? I don't know... I've had very good results with RTV in some other applications as well. Like you mentioned, smooth / shiney = good surface for it to stick to.
    Regarding the factory glue, I don't recall seeing one of them come off. If so, it was probably contaminated by oil or something prior to glueing or put on when the glue had already started to cure.
    H

mtbr member
    Hi, I'm having trouble with my chain suck plate - it's fallen off twice. It's been VERY wet in the UK so I'd like any recommendations for a product which will hold the plate on and won't damage the carbon. Suggestions?

Unpredictable
    Hans suggested those 2 compounds when mine came off and although we are supposed to be able to get them in Australia I could not, so I bought a plastic-specific 2 part adhesive which has done the trick. When the plate came away it caught between the swing arm and chain (very musical) and there was an area of colour missing on the swing arm. I cleaned it, scratched the area lightly (back of the plate had visible scratches from the factory) and used some zip ties to secure it. One of these is still in place acting as a pseudo-suck guard. So far all good with no suckage or fall-offage. Should get the beast up to a total of 3000km of fun riding this week or about 75km per week in 10 months. I am happy for that given full-time work and lack of daylight saving here in Summer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well Chain suck plates still not here in Singapore

Hi Hans,

I checked with my Ibis dealer in Singapore and we thought we were going to get the chain suck plates soon, judging from your last update, but apparently they weren't included in their last shipment.

I've been riding without a chain suck plate since June, and I'm getting worried that I might be doing irreversible damage to my chainstay!

Should I stop riding my Mojo for now? I don't want to break anything!

And oh yea thanks for all the offers to hook me up with spare plates, but I don't want to bypass my LBS, they do a great job for me here already with the Mojo - you know, apart from the chain sucky plate. Keep the wheel spinning!
    Last edited by filmlab; 09-15-2008 at 02:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

contact us directly

We would love to mail you one
    H

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Good job! Woohoo!

Outstanding! Thanks!

You have a PM, Hans!

Members who have read this thread: 0