Chain gaurd, tensioner.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chain gaurd, tensioner.

I ride an SL. I have a full 2011 XTR drive train with triple chain rings. I recently starting increasing the intensity of my descents. During one hard descent my chain come off the middle chain ring. On another descent the chain came off the cog. I foresee this happening often.

Would a chain guard, bash guard, or tensioner help? I'm not clear on what a chain guard's purpose would be. I want to keep the small and medium chain rings. Would a chain guard and/or a tensioner adversely affect my climbing? I assume the SL can except these components.

mtbr member
    Check out the XTR shadow plus RD (RD-M985), possibly adding a bash guard to replace your large chain ring.

Commit or eat sh!t
    You would need a dual-ring chainguard, BB mount. You would replace the big ring with a bashguard. Blackspire Stinger and e13 DRS work well. Truvativ just came out with one too. Very little drag and will increase weight a bit, but better than dropping chains.

You could also look into the new Shimano derailleur as robertj mentions above.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Picking up my new hd, tomorrow. x9 3x10. Already considering a dual position chain guide. I, too, would like to keep my middle and small rings. It was my understanding that the mojo is not compatible with such a claim guide. If I'm wrong, what do you all suggest?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    2 wheelsnotfour - Removing your big ring and using a bash guard protects your chain rings from obstacles - rocks, logs ... etc. A dual chain guide prevents you from dropping your chain. Two are used together. Good dual guides are the e13 Heim 2 w/Turbocharger or Gamut Dual Guide.

circlesuponcircles - Both the e13 Heim2 and Gamut Dual are also great guides for the HD that fit without dremeling

-Shane

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I used to run a Triple Chainring up front but after dropping my chain a few times going down rough portions of the trail, I decided to remove the Big Ring and replace it with an e.13 Turbocharger bashguard and I also added a BB Mount Blackspire Stinger to help tension the chain. I've been running this setup for a year now and so far, no dropped chains, quieter ride (less chainslap) and added protection for my Mid-Chainring. Here's what it looks like...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    hi tandem, when u installed the stinger, did u replace original spacer with stinger, or u also put the spacer and stinger together?
    i think without the spacer, the chain would rub the stinger on granny gear and largest cog. thats wht happen to my other bike, not mojo.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into the various products mentioned here. Would you say my chain coming off during rough descents is an indication I am pushing my SL past what it is designed for or is this a common problem? Prior to the SL on my Yeti-ASR, I used to descend pretty slowly and rarely had chain issues.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't say your riding pass the SL design it's the design flaw of the derailleur and is why chain tensioners were made. It forces the chain to wrap more around the chain ring which decreases the chance that slack in the chain and a lateral bump force will throw the chain off. Added benefit of the bash guard is no more chain ring in you calf scars and more clearance.

With my stinger I replaced a spacer with it on my bottom bracket.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into the various products mentioned here. Would you say my chain coming off during rough descents is an indication I am pushing my SL past what it is designed for or is this a common problem? Prior to the SL on my Yeti-ASR, I used to descend pretty slowly and rarely had chain issues.
    It will happen on every bike when things get rough. No way you're pushing the bike beyond its limit.

Haven't dropped my chain in ages since going to a roller and bashguard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Check out mrp's 2x guide, it has just been released. Supposed to be pretty sweet,ordered one up for my hd, cant wait.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by jo$#nya View Post
    Check out mrp's 2x guide, it has just been released. Supposed to be pretty sweet,ordered one up for my hd, cant wait.
    That looks pretty sweet. Something like this may finally get me to consider the new 2x10 stuff.
    http://spokemagazine.com/2011/06/13/...ide-spy-shots/

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    hi tandem, when u installed the stinger, did u replace original spacer with stinger, or u also put the spacer and stinger together?
    i think without the spacer, the chain would rub the stinger on granny gear and largest cog. thats wht happen to my other bike, not mojo.
    I replaced the spacer with the stinger. I'm using Shimano SLX Cranks with two 2.5 mm spacers on the drive side. I started off just replacing one of the spacers with the stinger. However, the stinger has a width of 3mm so there was slight rub on the stinger with the chain in the smallest chainring and biggest cog. I then replaced the remaining spacer with a 2mm spacer and everything has been fine eversince.