Can't get original grips off my Ripley- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Can't get original grips off my Ripley

I'm trying to get the original Lizard Skin grips off my V3 Ripley and I can't get them to budge. Screws must have been tightened by a Bulgarian weight lifter at the Ibis factory!

I'm about to run out and get some PB Blaster to soak overnight but are there any other ideas or techniques I should try? It's 2 screws per grip right? They're not reverse threaded are they? I simply can't get them to come loose at all without stripping the screws.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Know this doeasn't help right now..always a good idea to loosen and re-tighten components every year.

Id try some WD-40 first..if not then youll have to drill out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    not reverse threaded. use a punch or straight allen and hit the allen (inserted in bolt) head on with a metal hammer a couple times.

drill them out and install some push-on grips with clearcoat as adhesive for better feel and longer life.

https://lizardskins.com/mtb/grips/si...-charger-evo-1

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    OK, sounds like drilling it out is an option if the overnight PB soak doesn't work. I'm installing new handlebars so I can also just take a hacksaw to the bars just inboard of the grips and get them out of the way in that manner. I just hate to destroy something if I don't have to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle View Post
    OK, sounds like drilling it out is an option if the overnight PB soak doesn't work. I'm installing new handlebars so I can also just take a hacksaw to the bars just inboard of the grips and get them out of the way in that manner. I just hate to destroy something if I don't have to.
    I had to cut a pair of lockring screws with a hacksaw on Lizard Skins grips before to get them off. When/if you install some new locking grips, take the screws out and liberally coat them with some grease to help facilitate removal in the future. Also, as mentioned above, it is probably a good practice to exercise the bolt (loosen then tighten) annually.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    You could try relieving the pressure on the screw by clamping the lock ring with vice grips or channel lock pliers. Might be enough to loosen the screw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I appreciate all of the suggestions but I'll have to save them until next time. I ended up stripping the lock ring screws so I had to saw the grips off and toss them and the original handlebars in the trash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Bummer. I was in the same situation the other day. I used a dremel with a thin cutoff wheel to cut the lock ring bolt. You simply cut the bolt in half at the gap in the lock ring.