mtbr member
    Jun 2010

The breaks that comes with the XT kit

Hi,
    I have a question regarding the breaks that come with the HD XT kit. What I have is Formula The One breaks, but it appears these are the FR model which do not have all the optional setting in the levers and they are also a bit heavier. Looking at some of the build picture I see that some bikes have the better model and other don't. Can someone clarify this point - what one should get with the XT build - the FR model?
    Thanks,
    Itay

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    brakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The XT kit comes with the FRs, says so in the parts spec, a way for Ibis to make it a little cheaper most likely.

Everyone that has full "The Ones" bought them aftermarket.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Oopps... thanks for the correction on the typo... I guess, breaks, thankfully, don't really come with the XT kit...
    I went back to the Ibis website and if you look at the kit description - on the HD it does say FR, however on the HD 140 it is not mentioned... "Formula The One RX"...
    Thanks of the replies!
    Itay

bike rider
    The difference between "The One" and "The One FR" is the latter comes with the cheaper to produce and slightly heavier "RX" lever. No performance difference, just not as pretty and a couple extra grams. Saying "The One RX" is just a typo meaning "The One FR".

You have the best brakes on the market, enjoy.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Double-check with Ibis. There were a number of discrepancies between what was on the web site and what Ibis shipped when I bought my X9 build a couple of months ago. My LBS got confirmation on the exact components that it would come with prior to my ordering the bike. Don't know if there are still discrepancies as they were focused on Interbike and getting their new web site up, so stuff on the web site at that time was a little dated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    for me it is not that relevant since I already have the bike for over a month now, but clearly there is something which is not clear. If you look at this page in Ibis website:
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/about/news/ibis_2011/

"HD XT kits get RX/The One brakes (The One calipers with RX levers) with “tool free” reach & contact adjustment" - I don't believe I have those levers... as I have the FR ones

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by irousso
    "HD XT kits get RX/The One brakes (The One calipers with RX levers) with “tool free” reach & contact adjustment" - I don't believe I have those levers... as I have the FR ones
    That's exactly what you have. "The One FR" is The One caliper with RX lever. It saves some money while not taking away performance. Just adds a couple extra grams and not quite as pretty.

The typo is the "tool free reach & contact adjustment". As of now those aren't offered on Formula brakes. By sometime in 2011 "The One" will come with these adjusters and maybe "The One FR" will too. The adjusters are the gold things in the photo. They will be retro-fittable to our brakes.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    ok - thanks for the explanation. Even though - not a really big issue - the breaks are great

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Are these the breaks?
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9YD3zN-Uk_s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9YD3zN-Uk_s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Members who have read this thread: 0