mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Brakes Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Hi All,

Just recently bought a Mojo SL XX build.

I've noticed a loud squeek in my front brakes.

Any recommandations? I have Formula R1 brakes.

BTW, this is an awesome bike.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    brake squeek is a b8tch to deal with.
    It can cause by many things. the most common are

- dirty pads. clean them up. sometimes the only fix is new pads. Pads that have oil on them is a pain, and may need replacement. Oily pads will make a very very nasty nasty squeel! I've cleaned them up by soaking them in light acid (like citric) and just letting them sit, and then dumping baking soda over them.

- alignment. you may need to use shims to align the caliper correctly. It took me months to finally figure out the right number of shims to use, and in my case the optimal number of shims to use are DIFFERENT on each post! As you can imagine, that's a lot of combinations I had to experiment with.

If the rotor is warped, then this is also a b8ch too! Rotors with carriers (you know, the fancy ones looking ones) will tend to warp less than rotors without carriers.

- pad material. organic pads squeel less than semi-metallic ones. Organic pads also have better braking power but won't last as long as semi-metallic. Personally, i like organic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i had R1s on my tracer and loved the stopping power but tried EVERYTHING and couldnt ditch the squeel. Brakes are now sold!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chauzie
    brake squeek is a b8tch to deal with.
    It can cause by many things. the most common are

- dirty pads. clean them up. sometimes the only fix is new pads. Pads that have oil on them is a pain, and may need replacement. Oily pads will make a very very nasty nasty squeel! I've cleaned them up by soaking them in light acid (like citric) and just letting them sit, and then dumping baking soda over them.

- alignment. you may need to use shims to align the caliper correctly. It took me months to finally figure out the right number of shims to use, and in my case the optimal number of shims to use are DIFFERENT on each post! As you can imagine, that's a lot of combinations I had to experiment with.

If the rotor is warped, then this is also a b8ch too! Rotors with carriers (you know, the fancy ones looking ones) will tend to warp less than rotors without carriers.

- pad material. organic pads squeel less than semi-metallic ones. Organic pads also have better braking power but won't last as long as semi-metallic. Personally, i like organic.
    +1. If you want quickest/easiest/likeliest fix, install new pads (clean rotor w/ alcohol before using new pads). If that doesn't work, then move on to the other troubleshooting tips (see brakes forum too).

mtbr member
    the brakes may need to be broken it for a while to set the pads to rotor better. if it still squeaks, what i do that sometimes works is use very light metal sandpaper 300 grit or higher and just sand the rotor. if you can get the right abrasiveness to rotor then the pads can slide more smoothly.

Members who have read this thread: 0