mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Bought SL Mojo - What will work off 05 SC Blur?

Trying to make sure I get all of the parts I need here by the time the frame lands. I currently have a nice 05 Blur, all XTR, Crossmax wheelset, etc. Since reading this forum gave me the hots to go buy the SL, I am hoping the insight from the technicians in the group can help get me lined out......trying to do this on the cheap as much as possible and simply sell the Blur frameset and whatever won't directly swap.

Here is the stuff that I believe won't crossover
    Seatpost
    Front derailleur (SC is top swing top pull - Ibis is down swing down pull)
    Fox Talas RL 120mm fork

Here is a couple of things I am not sure about
    Bottom bracket - 68 mm - is this a straight swap?
    Headset - Currently have 1-/18" Chris King - should work, huh?

For those things that won't cross over, any ideas on the best 'value' front derailleur and seat post? Part number or supplier would be good....

Any other things to think about before swapping? I am curious if there exists a kit or something that would allow me to run a 20mm axle type fork with my 05 Mavic Crossmax front wheel?

Thanks for any help. Took a nice ride on the Blur today, and very much looking forward to getting the SL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here is the stuff that I believe won't crossover
    Seatpost
    Front derailleur (SC is top swing top pull - Ibis is down swing down pull)
    Fox Talas RL 120mm fork

The fork might work but the steering would be very quick and twitchy.

Here is a couple of things I am not sure about
    Bottom bracket - 68 mm - is this a straight swap?

Bottom bracket should be OK.

Headset - Currently have 1-/18" Chris King - should work, huh?

Sorry bur the headset wont work. You need a an internal headset with 36/45 degree chamfers(spelling). Most people us cane creek is series headsets. The mojo build usually uses the IS-2, but I would recommend one of the higher up models that has stainless steel catridge bearings as my IS-2 lower bearing was destroyed by rust.

For those things that won't cross over, any ideas on the best 'value' front derailleur and seat post? Part number or supplier would be good....

Any other things to think about before swapping? I am curious if there exists a kit or something that would allow me to run a 20mm axle type fork with my 05 Mavic Crossmax front wheel?

The only hub that know of that converts between QR and 20mm thru is the hope pro II. I own 2 of them but there are probably others if you look around. On another forum somewhere I remember reading the the Mavics cannot be converted.

Thanks for any help. Took a nice ride on the Blur today, and very much looking forward to getting the SL.[/QUOTE]

I envy your new machine.... I'm waiting on a set of of manitou minute absolute 140mm 20mm thru axel forks, pitty they will be white (spit, cough).

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Don't know if you had a chance to ride the Moj before you bought it. I too came from the bike I really liked a 05 Blur classic. They ride very similar but Moj SL takes it to a new level. Liked blur allot, love Moj ! (Also frame about 1 pound lighter !)
    I'm going to use a travel adjustable fork with QR axles on mine as I love riding moj at around 100mm for climbs and long descents at 140mm. Thru axle forks on Moj SL I don't know how much they really help as you already have an IS headset standard and then add bearing that are "floating" on molded carbon races. So it may add weight and not that much improved steering precision. << That's all speculation on my part. I'll be going with the 110 in matched topcap ano color to match (note:short cover and lighter carbon spacers) once I can find it somewhere. I speculate that this headset's captured compression ring will help with bearing load managment placement on the carbon races. http://www.canecreek.com/cane-creek-110-is-headset.html I'm really not sure I would run much else very long in headsets with the sl....
    I beleive the Minute Elite 20mm comes with IT which could be fun I would love it. Also if the weights are true on the fork you won't have to add a bunch of weight from your 120mm fork.
    (If you are not running Disc brakes it's time to upgrade.)
    Cranks and bottom bracket will work.
    Seatpost won't work,31.6mm Moj is same size seatpost as Trek Fuel I'm using my 33mm setback<(a good thing imho on moj) carbon Fsa K-force light off of my Fuel.
    Pedals will work
    I can comment on crank if you want and are running m960 xtr ?
    Last edited by glovemtb; 06-08-2008 at 02:44 AM.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Can't convert the Crossmaxes to 20 mmTA. Some optoins for 20 MM: Hope Pro II's, I9's and Kings. There are also some other smaller brands that will work of course. If you're looking for the best bang for the buck, the Hopes are it.

Since you're also looking to buy a new fork, the cheapest way to get the Mojo built would be to buy a traditional QR fork of course. But if you're going to stick with FOX, make sure you ordert the models with the QR since they're making a 15 mmTA for '09.

Thru axle forks on Moj SL I don't know how much they really help as you already have an IS headset standard and then add bearing that are "floating" on molded carbon races. So it may add weight and not that much improved steering precision
    A the headset has nothing to do with how the fork will perform. A 20 mm TA will absolutely stiffen up the front end and make it much more precise in terms of steering. Headsets don't add steering precision. The choice of headset may determine how long they will last before needing to be replaced but it's not going to have anything to do with how well the bike tracks through rough ground. Once you try a 20 MM TA fork, you'll be hard pressed to go back to a normal QR. There will be some added weight but a 454 PIKE which is the "standard" 140 mm TA fork are in the 4.5 - 5 lb range. Not too heavy IMO.

What kind of crank do you have? Outboard style BB's will work on any bike as long as you use the appropriate spacers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the help....it sounds like I can use the Pike with a TA and still utilize the Crossmax, just not in a 20mm setup? I am not counting grams, so that should work fine. I have an 05 XTR crank and bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    A the headset has nothing to do with how the fork will perform.
    Ya ever ridden around with a loose headset that sometimes feels similar to worn bushings in the front shock or a loose or flexy qr ?
    IS headsets float more than traditional I would think.
    Last edited by ghawk; 06-08-2008 at 04:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have an 05 XTR crank and bottom bracket.
    You will probably want to change out the cassette a 2008 xt is a cheap fairly light alternative to xtr and chain and then look at the middle and granny rings for any hooking because the M960 has priopriatory spacing and (trust me) standard won't work even though it looks like it will. You can find the m960 middle going for about 50 bucks now.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-XTR-Chai...QQcmdZViewItem
    Note, 2008 xtr spacing is compatible. It is a great crank, btw but the qfactor is slightly more with not a huge weight savings over the m960.
    Why the chainring change ? The new chain will not mesh well "click" and potential chain suck. So replace the ones that are hooked. Also, 2 spacers drive-side and one non-drive side for out-board bearings. Also, I don't like buying a whole new group for a bike as I love to change out to fun new stuff after interbike, so I don't synk a ton on a new groupo when I buy the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I bought a new FD-M971 front derailleur....if I am understanding correctly, you are suggesting new front middle and granny ring with new chain when I do the new setup and new cassette for the rear. I am not understanding 'standard won't work, even though it looks like it will'? Also, I thought I remember seeing a whole aftermarket (read not Shimano) front sprocket set?????

Thanks for the tips on the correct spacers.

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Ya ever ridden around with a loose headset that sometimes feels similar to worn bushings in the front shock or a loose or flexy qr ?
    IS headsets float more than traditional I would think.
    No I haven't....and that's because I wouldn't ride with a loose headset. Again, the headset has nothing to do with steering precision. Any improperly set up component would make the bike handle incorrectly and be potentionally dangerous.

Your analogy is an tune-up/set up/maintenance issue.

Quote Originally Posted by workitjr
    Thanks for the help....it sounds like I can use the Pike with a TA and still utilize the Crossmax, just not in a 20mm setup? I am not counting grams, so that should work fine. I have an 05 XTR crank and bottom bracket.
    That's not possible. The PIKE is only a TA fork and is incompatible with normal QR wheels. The only possible way you could use your Crossmaxes with a PIKE would be if you were somehow able to convert your hub to a 20 mm which I highly doubt. I'm sure Mavic doesn't make a conversion kit. Did you contact Mavic to see if they have such a conversion kit?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by workitjr
    I bought a new FD-M971 front derailleur....if I am understanding correctly, you are suggesting new front middle and granny ring with new chain when I do the new setup and new cassette for the rear. I am not understanding 'standard won't work, even though it looks like it will'? Also, I thought I remember seeing a whole aftermarket (read not Shimano) front sprocket set?????
    Sorry, you don't need to do all that if they are not worn, it is not a conversion issue with the moj.
    I would be careful not to have much chain suck that can be caused by worn rings.
    What I was trying to say is the ring spacing on the m960 crank is not standard spacing.
    http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...t=30&brand=226
    With the xtr m970 they went to industry standard 104mm.
    Also, chainring reviews widths etc are a whole nother issue. My mechanic always does oem parts replacement to minimize problems. I usually don't because I am too cheap, but can usually get myself out of trouble, not always....Blackspire I believe makes the middle m960 ring but I have never tried it I just got the oem at cheap price of 50.00 yikes.. If you get sick of dealing with the m960 crankset and don't really care too much about the trick out and weight factor the 2008 xt stuff including crankset is really great 98% of performance at 80% of the $.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 06-09-2008 at 03:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Well, that was easy.....I just sold the Blur this evening, frame arrives tomorrow, and got the full XT kit from an Ibis dealer who will be installing everything Friday including the Manitou. After reading everything on the forum, I threw caution to the wind and decided I might as well get the kind group......Got good value on the Blur, so what the heck. Riding by Friday afternoon and can hardly wait. Thanks for all of the input.

Members who have read this thread: 0