Bottoming out Ripmo with DPX2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Bottoming out Ripmo with DPX2

I recently got a brand spanking new Ripmo with the DPX2 and I am stoked with it in almost every way! However, I am bottoming it out fairly frequently, without taking huge hits. I am about 190-193lb in kit, and I am running 15mm of sag.

I have some volume reducers ordered, but I was wondering if I should try running a bit less sag in the meantime.

Any advice would be appreciated!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    As I understand it the next larger size spacer (.6) is also the largest allowed.

I am not bottoming out but getting close. I am currently 205#. Been considering upsizing the spacer as well.

I will be interested in your results.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I’m 225 in kit and jumped to the .8 spacer on my V3 Ripley and its been the ticket.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    According to Ibis the .6 is the biggest for the Ripmo.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You’re running too much sag.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I've got a 0.8 in my ripmo dpx2

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post

And a .4 comes in it, right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    You’re running too much sag.
    I kind of thought this might be the case. Do you think 13-14 mm would be a better setup?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hmmm kinda odd being same shock but I’m no expert. Yes mine is on a Ripley so maybe. I did speak directly with a friend at Ibis when I was about to pick up the shock to ask about any issues.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Ibis recommends 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lgmoto356 View Post
    I kind of thought this might be the case. Do you think 13-14 mm would be a better setup?
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Ibis recommends 25%.
    The owners manual says to shoot for 14mm of sag, so I assumed this was 25 percent. Maybe I am missing something?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

They said this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you go to the Fox website, they have a chart on there that tells you the largest spacer you can use for each shock/shock size. For the 210x55 DPX2 Fox says you shouldn't use anything larger than the 0.6 volume spacer.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=568

FWIW - I put in the 0.6 volume spacer and reduced my sag to 14mm (25%) and it seemed to help the bottoming issue.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Bigger spacer will make a huge difference. You can run the .8 spacer too, but will need to limit your max PSI by about 30-40.
    The ripmo likes a lot of sag to feel comfortable and fast. Nothing wrong with running 14-16mm.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    They said this?
    There is a chart

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    There is a chart

Thanks!

I've seen those charts before but didn't look. I emailed Chuck to see what they have to say but I'll put a smaller one in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thanks!

I've seen those charts before but didn't look. I emailed Chuck to see what they have to say but I'll put a smaller one in.
    Let us know what he says if you don't mind!

mtbr member
    From the Ibis setup guide:

For the Mojo HD4 and the Ripmo, sag should be about 14mm for XC and 17-19 for gravity rides. Experiment and see what works best for your trails and riding style.

mtbr member
    Sorry to muddy the waters here but I have a HD4 and really want a more supple ride. Seeing as I have gotten mixed feedback on whether or not the HD4 is progressive enough to run a coil (yes, I know Ibis doesn't recommend it), I am going to try more sag and bigger spacer. I have been running 14-15mm and I totally missed the 17-19mm for gravity oriented rides. Looks like the HD4 DPX2 (7.875x2.25) is limited to a 0.6 spacer as well. Anybody know what comes in it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Let us know what he says if you don't mind!
    This is what I got back.

“Dale,

Why did your LBS put that spacer in there before you even rode it? Are you heavy or a huge hucker? I'm not sure where the 'can't use a .8 spacer in there' rumor came from. We have ridden it but didn't like it. So we recommend .6.

I'd just throw a .6 in there and see how it goes.

chuck”

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    This is what I got back.

“Dale,

Why did your LBS put that spacer in there before you even rode it? Are you heavy or a huge hucker? I'm not sure where the 'can't use a .8 spacer in there' rumor came from. We have ridden it but didn't like it. So we recommend .6.

chuck”
    Thanks for sharing! My understanding is that a .4 normally comes in it. I should have the kit by tomorrow night so I'll try the .6 and go from there.

mtbr member
    Ibis recommends 25%.
    Is the sag that critical on the Ripmo? I'd have thought 27% (15mm) would be fine, especially given their recommendation of up to 19mm of sag.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Is the sag that critical on the Ripmo? I'd have thought 27% (15mm) would be fine, especially given their recommendation of up to 19mm of sag.
    My guess is no. And after checking it again, my sag is actually closer to 14mm than 15mm. I think the volume reducer is going to be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    This is what I got back.

“Dale,

chuck”
    I would say according to Fox it's more of a shouldn't rather than can't, especially if you are a heavier rider who is getting close to the max PSI already.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    As a followup, how can I tell exactly where the shock bottoms out? It never really feels like a harsh bottom out, but the o-ring is at the same point very near the end of the shock after both medium and bigger hits, so I assume that is it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    As a followup, how can I tell exactly where the shock bottoms out? It never really feels like a harsh bottom out, but the o-ring is at the same point very near the end of the shock after both medium and bigger hits, so I assume that is it.
    You could just let the air out and bottom it to check that.

And by the way, if you don't feel the bike bottoming out, is it really an issue? 🤔

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tlechnow View Post
    I would say according to Fox it's more of a shouldn't rather than can't, especially if you are a heavier rider who is getting close to the max PSI already.
    I'm not anywhere close to the 300psi limit but I'm going to change it out for the 0.6 anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by lubb1 View Post
    You could just let the air out and bottom it to check that.

And by the way, if you don't feel the bike bottoming out, is it really an issue? 🤔
    Yea, I plan to do that tomorrow when I change the volume reducer. As for whether or not it is an issue, this is my first FS bike, so I am not really sure how a hard bottom out would feel. I am just comparing to how bottoming a fork out feels. And I really don't know how bad it is to repeatedly bottom a shock out, but I figured that it could not be good for it.

mtbr member
    You should use all your travel as long as you aren't feeling harsh bottoming under normal circumstances. If you have ridden how you would ride on trails you would normally ride, I would say it is setup pretty well. If you can't use all your travel there is no sense in having it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    You should use all your travel as long as you aren't feeling harsh bottoming under normal circumstances. If you have ridden how you would ride on trails you would normally ride, I would say it is setup pretty well. If you can't use all your travel there is no sense in having it.
    That is part of the issue. I am only three rides in and getting used to a new bike and getting it set up. So much harder hits are in store than the ones that are currently using all of my travel. I am also holding back a bit because if I am blowing through the travel on the features that I've already done, I don't want to hammer it on bigger ones.

mtbr member
    That is part of the issue. I am only three rides in and getting used to a new bike and getting it set up. So much harder hits are in store than the ones that are currently using all of my travel. I am also holding back a bit because if I am blowing through the travel on the features that I've already done, I don't want to hammer it on bigger ones.
    Ride normal until you start having issues with harsh bottoming. At that point is when you want to add a bigger spacer. You always start soft and work your way firm with suspension.

mtbr member
    I regularly use all my travel on my HD4 but rarely hit bottom harshly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

bottoming out

I regularly use all my travel on my HD4 but rarely hit bottom harshly.
    I frequently use all of the travel on my ripmo, but in the year i have had it, I can only recall bottoming it out harshly once or twice. Are you getting a harsh bottom out, or just using all of you travel? Using all of your travel once or twice on a ride just means the shock is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sra1218 View Post
    I frequently use all of the travel on my ripmo, but in the year i have had it, I can only recall bottoming it out harshly once or twice. Are you getting a harsh bottom out, or just using all of you travel? Using all of your travel once or twice on a ride just means the shock is working correctly.
    I have only really had one harsh bottom out, but I use all of the travel probably 10+ times a ride. The reason this worries me is that I am only a few rides in and frequently ride much bigger trails with harder hits, so I figured these will give the harsh bottom out. But maybe they won't. I guess I'll just ahve to wait and see.

It is just new and I am probably just babying it super hard tbh.

May contain nuts
    Sorry to muddy the waters here but I have a HD4 and really want a more supple ride. Seeing as I have gotten mixed feedback on whether or not the HD4 is progressive enough to run a coil (yes, I know Ibis doesn't recommend it), I am going to try more sag and bigger spacer. I have been running 14-15mm and I totally missed the 17-19mm for gravity oriented rides. Looks like the HD4 DPX2 (7.875x2.25) is limited to a 0.6 spacer as well. Anybody know what comes in it?
    I went from a 0.2 to 0.8 in my HD4.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    They are cheap and easy to install

Give the .6 a try. If that's not enough go .8.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    I went from a 0.2 to 0.8 in my HD4.
    So the HD4 DPX2 definitely comes with an 0.2? How much pressure do you run in your shock?

I have been looking for a leverage curve chart of the HD4 but can't find it. Found the Ripmo but I am curious to see how the HD4 compares to it.

May contain nuts
    So the HD4 DPX2 definitely comes with an 0.2? How much pressure do you run in your shock?

I have been looking for a leverage curve chart of the HD4 but can't find it. Found the Ripmo but I am curious to see how the HD4 compares to it.
    Mine is a Factory DPX2 so not sure how Ibis ship them.
    Supposedly the HD4 is more progressive than Ripmo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Mine is a Factory DPX2 so not sure how Ibis ship them.
    Supposedly the HD4 is more progressive than Ripmo
    It supposedly being more progressive is what made me start looking for actual numbers. LOL

Thanks. I will give Ibis a ring on Monday and ask.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    UPDATE:

For anyone interested, I went ahead and put in the .6 spacer. After double checking my measurement, I was really at about 14mm of sag before and ended up at 15mm of sag after without changing air pressure too much. I pumped it up to around 255-260 and just checked it and that is where it was.

Anyway, all of that said, on fairly hard but not absolute max landings (jumps or drops of 2-3 feet with no or very little decline to the landings) the shock uses virtually all of its travel but stops within a millimeter of bottoming out.

Overall, I am very happy with the result!

mtbr member
    I know this is kind of old news, but I had a Pivot 5.7c (DW link) that would use almost all of its travel on just about anything I rode, and it never bottomed out. I think DW might be FM (Friggin' Magic).

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" 200lbs naked. Should I even bother to try 0,4 spacer or switch to 0,6 (already bought one after reading this thread)? I built a small jump for my son and I can get maybe 2 feels of air and already using 85% of travel (sag at around 14mm). I'm riding a mix of flow and gnarly trails with some jumping/drop 4-5' max. Trails are still at least 2 weeks from opening...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Personally, I would probably move on to the .6, since you are even heavier than me and it sounds like you do about the same type of riding. As the commenter below said, the DW Link does appear to be "friggin magic" as I use up all of my travel on just about everything, but also rarely bottom out.

At your weight I would recommend the .6. You can get more sag and bottom out with the bigger spacer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Has anyone noticed reduced pedal strikes with the 0.6 spacer?

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
    Sep 2010
    Ripmo is on my short list for a new bike, but the pedal strikes are pretty vicous. I rented a Small Ripmo in Oakridge Oregon last weekend, and wanted to buy the bike after the first DH. Really great bike. But the next day I was thrown off the bike by a pedal strike on a visually hidden root. I was talking to another friend, he rented Ripmo in Downieville last fall, had the same issue, ended up buying Santa Cruz (yuck!) instead. We are super advanced riders (40 yrs riding), so very strange to be surprised by pedal strikes that buck you off the bike. I love everything else about the Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Ripmos need alllll the spacers. the end stroke progression is just not there. i don't know if this was intentional or a necessary side effect of the excellent leverage rate for the rest of the curve, but it needs alot of help from the shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Ripmo is on my short list for a new bike, but the pedal strikes are pretty vicous. I rented a Small Ripmo in Oakridge Oregon last weekend, and wanted to buy the bike after the first DH. Really great bike. But the next day I was thrown off the bike by a pedal strike on a visually hidden root. I was talking to another friend, he rented Ripmo in Downieville last fall, had the same issue, ended up buying Santa Cruz (yuck!) instead. We are super advanced riders (40 yrs riding), so very strange to be surprised by pedal strikes that buck you off the bike. I love everything else about the Ripmo.
    it's a low BB. somehow, for me, on a 160 lyrik with a firm sag and MUCH firmer super deluxe shock over that boingy DPX2 and XR4 2.4 tires, i haven't had any probs. static bb height is over 345. that said, the demo i spent time with was a good 10mm lower and i definitely had probs with pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You shouldn't bottom out a fork or shock with big drops or huck, they gauge for full travel is at speed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    You shouldn't bottom out a fork or shock with big drops or huck, they gauge for full travel is at speed.
    I'm sorry, but this is bs. It's exactly at big drops and hucks when the suspension should be used to the full extent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    At pro level speeds, Schril has a point.

Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    Ripmos need alllll the spacers. the end stroke progression is just not there. i don't know if this was intentional or a necessary side effect of the excellent leverage rate for the rest of the curve, but it needs alot of help from the shock.
    End stroke progression is mostly controlled be the forward shock mount on the Ripmo style suspension. This is from the engineer at ibis that designed the bike.
    If they moved it lower then a water bottle wouldn't fit. It also works great with medium volume air springs as it cancels out the beginning ramp and mid wallow. Large volume air springs don't ramp up enough and need all the spacers as you have said. Not a big deal with any of the current air shock, but the 2018 X2 was a bad design and did not match with the bike. Of course you can't run a coil either if that is your thing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Obviously most users are not pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    At pro level speeds, Schril has a point.
    No, your suspension should not bottom out from a jump or hucks. Think about it why that would be undesirable.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    No, your suspension should not bottom out from a jump or hucks. Think about it why that would be undesirable.
    I bottomed out HARD on that 'diving board' or what is also called 'the biggest 4-footer to flat' in Moab. It was highly undesirable, but really unavoidable in that situation (for me).

I think folks are fighting over semantics. You should use all your travel occasionally on most every ride. You should not bottom out hard on drops you hit often. If you are doing that you need to modify your settings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    talking past each other. schril is saying, and i agree, that on a fast, choppy course an aggressive rider will put more load on their suspension than they would from the average drop. obviously, if you're Josh Bender, this would not apply.

edit, or hes saying to set your bike up for the trail, not the huck, which is also accurate.

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, the Ripmo is a great bike. The feel of the bottom bracket dipping low, is like my old Turner 5 Spot, so I would be able to adjust to it. I was just surprised (on my ass in the bushes).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The Ripmo is my first full suspension bike so needless to say I was pretty shocked by pedal strikes, especially in sweeping turns where I was pedaling hard and not leaned over very much. With 25% sag on my DPX2, I was using most of my travel but had enough left over for bigger jumps. The only thing that fixed the pedal strike issue was to up the air pressure to 20% sag or run the compression in the middle setting. I have a Manitou McLeod on order and hopefully that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That is weird. I have no issues with pedalstrikes and run it at 25 % sag. 18 X2. May I be so bold and suggest that you should adjust your technique?

Just a flesh wound
    I have about 10 rides on my Ripmo. 2.5 DHF front and 2.5 Aggressor rear. I have had a few pedal strikes, but I have adjusted my pedaling a bit to make that go away. I measured my BB to be 13.5" high. I'm coming from a 650b Prophet that was 14.25"! A lot of the 27.5+ bikes are even lower than the Ripmo, which I don't think is that low. The awareness of where your feet are becomes muscle memory. I haven't had any trouble rolling downed trees or rock walls that I have been rolling for years.

Evan, let me know how the McLeod works out. I have been running one on my old Prophet for years. My favorite shock ever! I was going to order one, but I finally got the DPX2 dialed in. Not as nice as the McLeod though. And last time I checked, the 210 x 55 was on back order. Where did you find it?
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I ordered a few weeks ago direct from Hayes. They said it was on back order and should ship 7/1. I havent seen a shipping confirmation yet though.

Just a flesh wound
    Let me know how it works out. Did you get the king can too or just stock? I didn't need the king can before. But the Ripmo is different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    You dont want king can on ripmo. Stock can and probably some grease in the positive chamber to boot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Stock. Ill see how it rides first before tearing into it.

Just a flesh wound
    You dont want king can on ripmo. Stock can and probably some grease in the positive chamber to boot.
    Good to know! Thanks!