mtbr member
    Oct 2008

In between sizes for HD. What to do?

So im 5-10 and 175lbs. I just came off a medium tracer vp over the last year with a 70mm stem. I am ordering my hd frame and unsure if i should go medium or large frame. I plan on running a float 160 and a 50mm stem. Essentially this is going to be my only bike and i need to do everything from trail rides to super d. There is no dealer locally so im unable to throw a leg over one to really determine what i should do. I dont want to drop $2400 on something that may be all wrong on the fit so please help.

Well Biked
    So that's a 23" top tube on the Tracer? How did it fit you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    fit was pretty good with a 70. was a bit to tight with the 50. I am not opposed to running a 70 on the hd but once you get use to the 50 for climbing, it gives me a ton more confidence on the DH

ride your bike
    I'm 5'10" and can't see how I'd ever want to run a large.

Fitting a frame around a 50mm stem doesn't make much sense (if that's what you're doing).
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    I'm 5'10" and can't see how I'd ever want to run a large.

Fitting a frame around a 50mm stem doesn't make much sense (if that's what you're doing).

So do you have an HD or are you just being general? I understand that its not about buying a bike around a 50mm stem but if thats also your only imput, i guess i could buy a small frame and put on a 120mm stem so it fits correctly. Should be able to flick a small frame like it wasnt even there..............

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tintr
    So do you have an HD or are you just being general? I understand that its not about buying a bike around a 50mm stem but if thats also your only imput, i guess i could buy a small frame and put on a 120mm stem so it fits correctly. Should be able to flick a small frame like it wasnt even there..............
    I was just trying to understand your intentions. In your OP, you stated you had decided on a 50mm stem and wanted to know if the MED or LG frame was appropriate.

My response is still the same: fitting a do-it-all bike around a stem length is inappopriate. Buy the correct frame for your size and try a few varied stems. Buying a LG frame to "fit" your 50mm stem makes as much sense as putting a 120mm stem on a SM frame.

As an aside, if the difference between a 50mm and 70mm stem kills your confidence on the DH then you've got bigger fish to fry.

I've demo'd both MED and LG bikes. The MED had a 70mm stem and I'm not positive what stem length the LG had.

And right back at you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    sooooo, getting back on subject since Jubilee is so nice in thinking i cant ride a effn bike down a hill.

Are there any HD owners that can chime in with some of your thoughts on frame size and stem combo that are around my height?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am 6' riding a large with a 50mm stem.

ride your bike
    nevermind....

Actually, I just looked at your post history. 6 days ago you asked the same question about a 70mm stem.

A few days before that you said Lopes riding A-Line was a great example of DH thrashing on the frame.

I have been led to believe you A) have no idea what you want, and B) don't understand what riding DH is.

That is all.

aka dan51
    My response is still the same: fitting a do-it-all bike around a stem length is inappopriate. Buy the correct frame for your size and try a few varied stems. Buying a LG frame to "fit" your 50mm stem makes as much sense as putting a 120mm stem on a SM frame.
    Buying a frame size around a desired stem length makes sense to me.
    If he knows he likes the way a 50mm stem bike handles, why get a frame that won't work well with that size? In the past stem length to me was just another "fitting" component. Only recently have I realized just how much of an impact stem length has on handling and bike feel.
    When I was looking into an HD I was wavering between LG and XL. I knew I wanted a short stem for a more DH oriented bike, so I went with an XL. I have no regrets.
    I did demo a LG with a 90mm and knew I did not want a 90mm on my HD. The cockpit feel on both bikes was very similar, but the shorter stem bike is more fun to ride IMO.

The "correct" frame size is going to depend. Have a XC guy fit him and it will probably be a MED with 90-110mm stem, and DH guy would likely specify a LG with 50-70mm stem. So just saying get the correct size is what he's trying to figure out now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    nevermind....

Actually, I just looked at your post history. 6 days ago you asked the same question about a 70mm stem.

A few days before that you said Lopes riding A-Line was a great example of DH thrashing on the frame.

I have been led to believe you A) have no idea what you want, and B) don't understand what riding DH is.

That is all.

You my friend are a ******bag. I have been using this forum to detrermine what is working best for everyone and to get ideas on how it would work for me! I race DH and super D every year and have several 1st-3rd place finishes. I frequent whistler and would love an opportunity to take you down a goats gully run and have you follow! If you would shut your vag and read my op you would know, that i dont have a local ibis dealer and am trying to get as much info as possible with many different oppinons and variations of HD setups that i may want so i only spend my $2400 once on the right frame! Soooooo, Get out of my post and go ride your own POS bike

aka dan51
    So im 5-10 and 175lbs. I just came off a medium tracer vp over the last year with a 70mm stem. I am ordering my hd frame and unsure if i should go medium or large frame. I plan on running a float 160 and a 50mm stem. Essentially this is going to be my only bike and i need to do everything from trail rides to super d. There is no dealer locally so im unable to throw a leg over one to really determine what i should do. I dont want to drop $2400 on something that may be all wrong on the fit so please help.
    Another thing to keep in mind is the seat tube length. Going with a LG may prevent you from being able to drop the seat as far as you want, or keep you from running whatever adjustable seatpost you might want. That's the one area that the LG would have been an advantage for me over the XL. The TT length is only 3/4 of an inch, but the seat tube length is 2" longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks for that d-bug. thats the kind of things that i need imput on so i dont make a mistake with my purchase.

Homer's problem child
    OP,
    You are going to need to post some more useful info. For example, some things that would help us help you:

1. What's your inseam?
    2. How much seat post is exposed on your meduim Tracer?
    3. Are you planning to run an adjustable post, and if so which one? (GD, AMP. CB, etc..)

I'm kinda with Jubilee on this one, stem length is not something I build/size my bikes around. That is one of the components I am happy to swap out within reason, i.e. want a frame that fits within a 30 and 70mm stem.

More info would help. I'm 6'1" to 6'2" with a 33" inseam and am on a large HD, wouldn't want a medium, but don't have a ton of seat post exposed on my KSi950R to lower it.

For example depending on your answers above, you may not be able to run a 5" drop post and get your seat low enough on a large at your height.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

ride your bike
    You my friend are a ******bag. I have been using this forum to detrermine what is working best for everyone and to get ideas on how it would work for me! I race DH and super D every year and have several 1st-3rd place finishes. I frequent whistler and would love an opportunity to take you down a goats gully run and have you follow! If you would shut your vag and read my op you would know, that i dont have a local ibis dealer and am trying to get as much info as possible with many different oppinons and variations of HD setups that i may want so i only spend my $2400 once on the right frame! Soooooo, Get out of my post and go ride your own POS bike
    Sure, I'll follow you on my POS Highline. I only logged 10 days up there last year, and none this year but I can probably still hang.

You'd think a $2400 frame would justify the 180 mile drive to any of the 3 Portland dealers, but instead you blather about a 20mm diference in stem length in this forum.

If you were 1/2 the rider you claim to be, with all that experience, you wouldn't be asking such stupid questions....would you?

Carry on.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sure, I'll follow you on my POS Highline. I only logged 10 days up there last year, and none this year but I can probably still hang.

You'd think a $2400 frame would justify the 180 mile drive to any of the 3 Portland dealers, but instead you blather about a 20mm diference in stem length in this forum.

If you were 1/2 the rider you claim to be, with all that experience, you wouldn't be asking such stupid questions....would you?

Carry on.....

With over 9000 posts you have logged on mtbr it makes me wonder if you even own a bike or if your just some 12 year old kid with nothing other to do than ***** and moan about something that doesnt concern them. Still never answered my first question to you. do you even own an HD???? Thats what i thought, now stay off my post! And if you would like to continue this rant, PM me your info, ill drive up and finish it in person! Oh, unless you want to come my way, and then id be happy to give you my info.

ride your bike
    With over 9000 posts you have logged on mtbr it makes me wonder if you even own a bike or if your just some 12 year old kid with nothing other to do than ***** and moan about something that doesnt concern them. Still never answered my first question to you. do you even own an HD???? Thats what i thought, now stay off my post! And if you would like to continue this rant, PM me your info, ill drive up and finish it in person! Oh, unless you want to come my way, and then id be happy to give you my info.

Yes, I used to waste a LOT of time in the now defunct political forums. Those days are long gone man. Looong gone.

Dude, you need to work on that short fuse. I already told you, I demo'd a LG and MED.

Good luck with your stem conundrum!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm 5'10 and 180lb. The way I figure it was I could always lengthen a med but not shorten a large. I demo'd a large with my bars and stem (at the time 50mm) and felt that there was no way I'd go longer, so I plumped for the med with the view that I could always switch to a 70mm stem. I am 5'10 but long legged ie more leg than torso so if you are shorter in leg and longer in torso but still 5'10 I'd go med.

mtbr member
    I'm a freak of nature--5'11" with a 34" inseam and long arms. I rode a medium around a parking lot for a couple of minutes, but I am still not sure. Is top tube length more important that seat tube length? From med to large the tt length has only .7" difference, but the seat tube is 2" more.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The large is more stable at high speed. Brian Lopes is not really a big guy and rides a large HD when going downhill.

The MTB Lab
    I think it comes down to personal taste. Do you like an old school layout, with a long top tube, or a shorter cockpit? Inseam does gives us an idea on your upper body length. Stem length is a very personal choice, but an All Mountain rig is going to be a 50-70mm stem. Regardless of the stem length, their is an inherent synergy on how a frame size feels, reacts and rides.

I am 5'9" and prefer a large with a 65-70mm stem, but that is me. I tried a 45-50mm and hated it. Again, personal preference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    my inseam is 32-33 inches and my reach from shoulder to palm is 24 inches. I have always been on medium frames and felt a little cramped with a 50mm stem but right at home with a 70. I do have a GD Turbo i plan on running until the rockshox post is available. I run a 175mm SixC crank and 28.5" bars. Hope that gives a little more insight on how things may effect me.

mtbr member
    I am almost exactly your dimensions and I have owned both med and large standard Mojo (2 years medium, 1 year large). Long story short, I am much happier on the large and I bet you will be too---especially if you want to run a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    What is Frame Reach on M size HD frame with 160mm fork?

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Would using longer handle bars with a short stem help with a cramped cockpit? I'm just wondering if you go with a medium and want to run a shorter stem, would wider bars help stretch you a bit so it isn't so cramped?

Anyone have experience with this?

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    As a point of reference...

I'm a smidge under 6'0", 165 lbs, and "average/athletic" body type (i.e. not a twig, but not exactly Arnold Schwarzenegger) and opted for a Large. My cockpit is setup with a 50mm, 0-rise stem, 760mm wide 30mm rise bars, with 10mm under the stem. The bike fits me great and the extra wheelbase of the Large over the Medium is crucial for high-speed stability imo.

My buddy who borrowed my bike for a day (for trail-riding) is about 5'10"-5'11" same body type and he said he had no problem fitting on my bike.

Realistically, if my arms were shorter, or if I was simply an inch or two shorter, I would probably opt for a 35mm stem instead. (As somebody mentioned above, all of this boils down to personal preference)

Where are you located??

mtbr member
    I got to this post and had to stop reading this thread. Your youth is showing, grow up Jubilee wasn't out to attack you.

Members who have read this thread: 0