Best adhesive for Chainstay Protector- Mtbr.com
    Ride On!

Best adhesive for Chainstay Protector

I noticed while cleaning my Ripmo that the chainstay protector is starting to separate near the front. I am cautious about which adhesive to use that will fit the bill and not hurt the carbon. I am hoping that Ibis will eventually make them available in the store

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Either helicopter tape, or I prefer rubber mastic tape for chainstays.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Shoe goo works well.

EAT MORE GRIME
    any thin doublesided clear stuff...3m preferably

you won't hurt crabon with anything you can find on a roll

use a smear of lexel if you can find it...the only issue with lexel is cure time...you'll
    need to wrap or tape down what you are sticking, --for 3 days straight--, for proper lexel cure that will stand up to bike duty and hits (lexel can be peeled off later if you want to remove it, but cured properly will hold that protector down hard)
    ---

adhesive in jars, tubes, or bottles, stay away from those,
    or you'll need to investigate the solvent carrier vs yer crabon bits
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    I noticed while cleaning my Ripmo that the chainstay protector is starting to separate near the front. I am cautious about which adhesive to use that will fit the bill and not hurt the carbon. I am hoping that Ibis will eventually make them available in the store

My protector came off off my ripley4. I contacted ibis & they recommended a permatex weatherstrip adhesive as they couldn't send out a replacement. Here's the response from chuck & the link they sent to amazon & the permatex stuff. I ended up getting a replacement that has stuck on thus far so did not end up trying the permatex.

"We don't have any replacements for those, but we hope to at some point. The best thing to do now is get some weatherstrip adhesive and reattach it. Super quick job. Something like this.
    https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8185...RED9F79G4TQD5M
    Chuck Chuck Ibis, Customer Service, Ibis Cycles 2240 Delaware Ave, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 tel: (831) 461-1435 | Call us, we pick up.[/I] "

mtbr member

Best adhesive for Chainstay Protector

Get it at Home Depot, high strength mounting tape, the outdoor gray stuff is better. I have also used it to remount the stainless steel chain stay protector.

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by nebio View Post
    My protector came off off my ripley4. I contacted ibis & they recommended a permatex weatherstrip adhesive as they couldn't send out a replacement. Here's the response from chuck & the link they sent to amazon & the permatex stuff. I ended up getting a replacement that has stuck on thus far so did not end up trying the permatex.

"We don't have any replacements for those, but we hope to at some point. The best thing to do now is get some weatherstrip adhesive and reattach it. Super quick job. Something like this.
    https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8185...RED9F79G4TQD5M
    Chuck Chuck Ibis, Customer Service, Ibis Cycles 2240 Delaware Ave, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 tel: (831) 461-1435 | Call us, we pick up.[/I] "
    Thanks, everyone for the responses. Thinking I will give this a go for now as it is only separating about an inch from the chainstay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    Thanks, everyone for the responses. Thinking I will give this a go for now as it is only separating about an inch from the chainstay.
    That's the best move, I tried all of the above and the Permatex works much better than 2 sided tape in this application. I have a variety of very good tapes, but the rubber material just doesn't adhere to the tape well enough in this case, where the weatherstrip adhesive is so far working great. It is significantly more of a messy PITA to apply, though.