mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Best 1x10 or 1x9 setups on the Mojo SL?

Looking at building a Mojo SL this Winter. My current bike is an older SC Superlight, and I am running 1x9 with XT cranks (little and big rings removed), a RaceFace 'light' bash ring, and an N-Gear Jump Stop. I really like the 1x9, and the Jump Stop has worked great for being such an inexpensive part.

For the SL I will build it as 1x10. I'll probably go with SLX or XT cranks and remove rings, since I don't see any great singlespeed crank options out there (?). What chainguide/bashguard systems fit and work well on the Mojo SL?

I searched a little and didn't see this exact topic addressed, but it may have been buried someplace.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Check out the MRP Mini G2 SL, on their website the picture of it only shows the iscg model but they make a BB mount model specific to the Ibis. I just installed one yesterday and will post pics of it later today so you can see it set up on my Mojo SL. If your in or near Southern Cal call the Bike Co. in Lake Forest, they're the ones who dialed me in on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

pics of the mrp mini g2

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best 1x10 or 1x9 setups on the Mojo SL?-mrpg2.jpg  

Best 1x10 or 1x9 setups on the Mojo SL?-mrpg2_2.jpg  

Best 1x10 or 1x9 setups on the Mojo SL?-mrpg2_3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The new MRP Mini G2SL mentioned above looks sweet (supposedly 30% lighter) but also check out the Ibis/MRP Mini G2 (220g) in the Ibis store. You can also think about the Lopes SL one if you just want chain tension and not protection.

http://store.ibiscycles.com/shared/S...unt2=695685982

The chainguide adapter lets the Ibis Mini G2 attach directly to the SL in the same manner as the HD which is really nice vs just a standard BB mount (eliminate rotation on impact).

http://store.ibiscycles.com/shared/S...unt2=695685982

-Shane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best 1x10 or 1x9 setups on the Mojo SL?-minig2.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Seleniak, after your post I checked mine out a little closer and it mounts to the linkage as well as the BB so I'm assuming it's either the mojo sl specific one or the modified HD one. Hence, I am stoked. I didnt see the Ibis specific one on MRP's website(?) I wasn't familiar with these until yesterday when I brought my bike into Bike Co in Lake Forest for a rear shock warranty repair issue (separate thread to come describing the AMAZING customer service, technical expertise, and general awesomeness of the guys and gal over there) while there I was checking out the various set-ups of the staff bikes and most of them seem to like the 1x10 or 1x9 drivetrain so I decided to jump in with both feet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Looking closely at your photos it definitely looks like the Ibis/MRP G2 that fits both the Mojo SL and HD. There is an adaptor for the Mojo SL that replaces the lower pivot shaft in the front triangle with a threaded shaft that allows you to bolt the chainguide right onto the frame. The MRP site used to show the MRP G2 up until a few weeks ago when it was replaced by their new G2 SL which is a bit lighter.

-Shane

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The Ibis specific one was never on the MRP site though just the Ibis store (best way to get it and the SL adaptor)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks to both of you for the help and the photos.

It looks like what Record has on his bike is what I would want.

Seleniak - I actually couldn't find the MRP G2 that fits the SL in the Ibis store. Both of your links just took me to the top level in the store, and when I went through the Mojo stuff I only saw the Lopes chainguide and the Mini G for the HD (which says at the bottom "We are working on a retrofit for the Mini G for mounting to the Mojo and Mojo SL. The Mini G's that are currently shipping don't mount perfectly and will require a small modification (filing) to make them work with the Mojo and Mojo SL"

It's good to know there's a solution out there anyway, and that chainguide looks like it would do a great job. I wonder a little about how many hits the guard would take, but at least it is tied to the frame well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The G2 guide is the same for the SL as the HD and is the one you want (and the one Record owns). The mod is the Mojo SL-MRP Chainguide Adapter which is also in the store. You change it out for the stock pivot shaft and you are good to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm not an expert on SS crank options, however I have been interested in building a SS out of the Tranny. My searching led me to Homebrewed Components and he has just made the only bashguard and SS chainring for Sram XX cranks. Looks awesome, check out his pictures.

Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There is also Widigt who do single chainring conversions and are supposed to work quite well:

http://www.widgit.com.au/product-single-chainring.html

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeldog
    "We are working on a retrofit for the Mini G for mounting to the Mojo and Mojo SL. The Mini G's that are currently shipping don't mount perfectly and will require a small modification (filing) to make them work with the Mojo and Mojo SL"
    Sorry I'm late to the thread.

So the current Ibis-specific G2 does require a bit of modification to work on a standard Mojo or Mojo SL. I don't know the specifics of that modification.

The new Ibis-specific Lopes guide does not require any modification, but does require the pivot adapter to work with a standard Mojo or Mojo SL.

...and as Ibis eluded to, a full chain guide with bash protection solution that works without modification (but again will require the pivot adapter) on the standard Mojo and Mojo SL is in the works.
    Last edited by NoahColorado; 11-24-2010 at 08:48 AM.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

screamer
    Whoa, I didn't realize that the Lopes guide was a custom number that bolted to the pivot: cool! No more constantly scooching BB mounts. That would also explain why it's $20 more on the ibis website than from other retailers. I just thought Ibis blew it on the OEM negotiation with MRP.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Any one else find it odd that Ibis chose to use DW-Link on his bikes, but not to partner with DW's E13 chainguides?? Not saying anything, just pointing out how interesting it is. Maybe its cause of Lopes??

Guess its my ADD, if Im on a DW bike, Id want a E13 guide.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

Members who have read this thread: 0