Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mojobeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    106

    Bearings and links

    In doing some winter maintenance I completely stripped the frame down. When I removed the lower link the bearing on the drive side fell out of the link and now fits loosely. Does this mean I need to order a new link?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,520
    You might as well pick off the seals and pack the bearings with grease while it's easy. I'd put a bit of blue locktite on it and press it back in. If it holds well, I'd think you are good to go.

    "I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,440
    i agree. no sense in putting anything more than blue...if it does not work, you could use green which i believe is made for press fits.

    but don't let it stress you, it's not a big deal. the link, bearing, and your bike will work fine when all done up

  4. #4
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    Mine fall out of my lower link like that too. I haven't seen any adverse effects from it.

  5. #5
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,267
    Hmm, seems like they should be a tighter fit. Even after tightening the hardware this could be a source of flex. I'd like to hear Hans' take on this.
    Keep the Country country.

  6. #6
    YRTRNRSHVY
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    553
    I think green loctite is what you are supposed to use. Green loctite is for filling in gaps/spaces. blue loctite is only for threaded fasteners. My Ventana El Saltamontes had a bearing that was like that and Sherwood (the owner/designer/builder) suggested green loctite and when I looked in to it I found out why.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999
    I think green loctite is what you are supposed to use. Green loctite is for filling in gaps/spaces. blue loctite is only for threaded fasteners. My Ventana El Saltamontes had a bearing that was like that and Sherwood (the owner/designer/builder) suggested green loctite and when I looked in to it I found out why.
    we knew this. we were trying to avoid any strong bond for ease of future removal. although there could be some question of cure with blue if it is not in a threaded situation

  8. #8
    YRTRNRSHVY
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    we knew this. we were trying to avoid any strong bond for ease of future removal. although there could be some question of cure with blue if it is not in a threaded situation

    sorry, must have missed your post. I didn't know how strong green is, I have not yet had to remove something put in with green.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999
    sorry, must have missed your post. I didn't know how strong green is, I have not yet had to remove something put in with green.
    it is usually not that bad to remove, but i do recall it being a pain once.

    i would see what hans says too, i don't want to tell you to do something they do not approve of

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.