mtbr member

Bearings and links

In doing some winter maintenance I completely stripped the frame down. When I removed the lower link the bearing on the drive side fell out of the link and now fits loosely. Does this mean I need to order a new link?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

flow where ever you go
    You might as well pick off the seals and pack the bearings with grease while it's easy. I'd put a bit of blue locktite on it and press it back in. If it holds well, I'd think you are good to go.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i agree. no sense in putting anything more than blue...if it does not work, you could use green which i believe is made for press fits.

but don't let it stress you, it's not a big deal. the link, bearing, and your bike will work fine when all done up

aka dan51
    Mine fall out of my lower link like that too. I haven't seen any adverse effects from it.

bike rider
    Hmm, seems like they should be a tighter fit. Even after tightening the hardware this could be a source of flex. I'd like to hear Hans' take on this.
    Keep the Country country.

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    I think green loctite is what you are supposed to use. Green loctite is for filling in gaps/spaces. blue loctite is only for threaded fasteners. My Ventana El Saltamontes had a bearing that was like that and Sherwood (the owner/designer/builder) suggested green loctite and when I looked in to it I found out why.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999
    I think green loctite is what you are supposed to use. Green loctite is for filling in gaps/spaces. blue loctite is only for threaded fasteners. My Ventana El Saltamontes had a bearing that was like that and Sherwood (the owner/designer/builder) suggested green loctite and when I looked in to it I found out why.
    we knew this. we were trying to avoid any strong bond for ease of future removal. although there could be some question of cure with blue if it is not in a threaded situation

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    we knew this. we were trying to avoid any strong bond for ease of future removal. although there could be some question of cure with blue if it is not in a threaded situation

sorry, must have missed your post. I didn't know how strong green is, I have not yet had to remove something put in with green.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999
    sorry, must have missed your post. I didn't know how strong green is, I have not yet had to remove something put in with green.
    it is usually not that bad to remove, but i do recall it being a pain once.

i would see what hans says too, i don't want to tell you to do something they do not approve of

Members who have read this thread: 0