mtbr member

bearing kits :-)

hi guys,

gonna start by saying my mojo has last on 1 set of bearings the same time as my SJ went throught 3 sets!! amazing bike!

Question:- where can I get a bearing set for the mojo sl? i can't seem to find the option only on the ibis site. i have a LL and i dont wanna fork out on new upper or lower link when I'm saving for a tranny! (anyone wanna buy a left kidney?? )

thanks

mojo marty...
    Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Kinesis FF29

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hi Mate

you get a whole link kit with the bearings already pressed in so easy swap. And I might add for less than many manufacturers charge for bearings alone.

From Ibis or local dealer

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You can also get bearing kits from Enduro

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id245.html

www.derbyrims.com
    The Lope's link bearings should wear at least twice as long as the lower link bearings. The upper bearings have far lighter forces on them. Save some effort and possible misalignment problems by just replacing the inexpensive lower link kit. Separate bearings plus shipping aren't much less in cost. Although upgrading bearing quality could bring longer wear life.

Peal away the exposed seals of the Lopes Link bearings and clean and repack them. If they are starting to get notchy acting think about replacing them next time the lowers are replaced.

JMO

mtbr member
    thanks lads!
    Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Kinesis FF29

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Mine got some creaking sound... Can it be service? Or have to change all the bearings? Its only 4 months old.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by anglers republic
    Mine got some creaking sound... Can it be service? Or have to change all the bearings? Its only 4 months old.
    It's unlikely the creaking is coming from the Mojo bearings after only 4 months. And unlikely after 14 months, maybe after 24 months.

But you can service the pivot bearings. Remove the links. You have to remove the shock to get to the upper link bolts. Use a point of a knife or sharp item and carefully lift and hand peal away the rubber seal from the outside edge of each bearing. If dirty or water fouled, clean the grease out with solvent. Pack the bearings full with any automotive, marine, or bicycle grease. Press the seal back on with your fingers, the seal will snap back into place. Replace links.

Spraying or dripping water on one moving or pivoting area at a time can often quiet a creaky dry or dirty seal until the water dries out, to isolate and identify what area needs lube or cleaning. Seat-rail ends and cable-end ferrules and pedal surfaces and seals are notorious for making suspension rhythm creaks.

mtbr member
    could be the saddle rails as Derby pointed out to me a few months back and was right! :-)
    Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Kinesis FF29

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by anglers republic
    Check for dirty cable ferules. They rotate and grind dirt in them as the suspension compresses and it echoes in the carbon and can be mistaken for many things including creaking bearings. Especially check the ferule too the right of the seatpost. Hold it tightly in place with your thumb while pressing down on the seat and see if the creaking stops.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

aka dan51
    Has anyone been able to get the bearings out of their Lopes link yet?
    I tried last night and they would not budge. The 4 bearings in the lower link came out with little to no force. I was applying enough force to the LL ones that I backed off afraid I'd end up with a damaged bearing in the LL.

aka übermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Has anyone been able to get the bearings out of their Lopes link yet?
    I tried last night and they would not budge. The 4 bearings in the lower link came out with little to no force. I was applying enough force to the LL ones that I backed off afraid I'd end up with a damaged bearing in the LL.
    I haven't tried to get the bearings out of the Lopes Link yet. But, if memory serves me correctly, the old 2 piece upper link bearing were having issues with wanting to come out. I believe the fix was to loctite them into place. The bearings on the LL may have had loctite put on them and that is why you couldn't get them out. I could very well be wrong of course, but it's a thought.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by übermensch
    I haven't tried to get the bearings out of the Lopes Link yet. But, if memory serves me correctly, the old 2 piece upper link bearing were having issues with wanting to come out. I believe the fix was to loctite them into place. The bearings on the LL may have had loctite put on them and that is why you couldn't get them out. I could very well be wrong of course, but it's a thought.
    That is exactly my thought as well. I know I used loctite on my old links....

mtbr member
    I tried for a while this weekend to get the lopes bearings to budge and nothing. Lower links were easy. Anyone successfully do a lopes link bearing replacement?

aka dan51
    Got a reply from Ibis regarding the LL bearings.
    The bearing in the links are press-fit and lock tighted into the housing. It is usually easier to replace the entire link when needed.
    That's kind of a bummer. I'd hate to have to throw away an $80 piece just to get new bearings in them. They don't have a trade-in program either.

Bradv5
    Oct 2005

Removing Bearings

Although I haven't tried it on these links, one old trick for freeing bearings and adhesives is just to heat it up. The heat will weaken the adhesive and expand the links' aluminum bore more than the steel bearing housing, relaxing the press fit. A heat gun might be enough to do the trick. Just be careful not to get burned...

MPI
    mtbr member
    Removing the bearings is as easy as Strike30 described. To put the new ones in just put the bearings to the freezer for an hour, add some bearing bond, press the bearings in. You can also heat up the LL before installing the bearings. Just make sure that the bearings wont warm up, so be quick.

One good thing is to add some proper bearing grease under the shields in new bearings also. No need to panic about too much grease. These bearings does not rotate 9000 rpm.

Greets
    MPI
    Last edited by MPI; 11-04-2009 at 03:16 AM.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

Members who have read this thread: 0