Bearing and bushes longevity?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Bearing and bushes longevity?

I'm thinking of replacing one of my old Turner (DW) with an Ibis. I'm based in the UK so riding in wet and muddy conditions is a fact of life. How well do Ibis bearings stand up to those sort of conditions? The Turners have grease ports on all the bushings to keep them moving smoothly. I haven't spotted them on the Ibis models, how are you guys finding they are performing with out that option? Thanks in anticipation.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    145 views and not one response - have I said something wrong or am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Bearing and bushes longevity?

I havenít seen anything bad come up, I donít ride in wet conditions and I have zero problems at 2000 miles on a Ripmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have been riding a Mojo 3 in the Lakes 12 months a year since mid-2016 and they have by and large been very wet years. I bought a spare set of pivots so I can service the bearings in the spares and then swap the pivots out in about an hour. I have done this every year in the spring and I would say that the bearings needed servicing after a year of wet riding. Even without spare pivots, removing them and servicing the bearings is pretty easy - all you need are good allen/hex keys. The Ibis website has instructions on removing the pivots from the bike. I have ridden several full-suspension bikes in the Lakes and the Mojo is no worse than the others for bearing longevity and much easier to service than most. For me, it's the bottom bracket bearings that have the shortest life. Puddles, ponds and rivers everywhere!

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Ibis also advises not to wash your bike to minimize pivot issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Also not riding in wet conditions but I just serviced my Ripmo bushings for the first time after nearly 12 months of use and things were spotless in there. TBH I can't notice the difference after doing it, which speaks to how well they do their job

Ride On!
    One thing that might be construed that the Ripmo's bushings are built to last with minimal servicing is that they are not listed on the parts page. Guess you have to order them as a Z-Part request if you need them or go to a dealer. Over 1200 miles on my Ripmo and not a problem from the bushings so far and I do wash my bike every few rides to keep it purdy looking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Two of the selling points of the bushings are they're supposed to be lower maintenance and longer lasting. I'm guessing the reason they aren't listed on the parts page is because Ibis offers free lifetime replacement. Just call or email them, and they'll send you some new ones.

While my only experience with bushings on mountain bikes has been shock hardware, I can say that I've never felt the need to replace them, whereas I typically only get about 1-2 seasons of So Cal riding out of my linkage bearings before they start to feel notchy and grimy and need replacing.