Bar end/plug for new Hi-Fi/Lo-Fi adjustable width bars?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Bar end/plug for new Hi-Fi/Lo-Fi adjustable width bars?

The new Hi-Fi/Lo-Fi carbon bars coming on Ibis bikes have the removable threaded extensions to take the bars from 800mm to 750mm without cutting. There is a (female) threaded insert built into the bar which receives the extensions. If you take these out and are using a foam grip, the standard push-in bar ends aren't an option as the ID is much smaller since the threads are right there. They mic out to be 14.5mm ID but i have no idea what the thread pitch is.

Are there any other bar ends or plugs that would work with these? Ibis doesn't sell a solid threaded plug as of yet. Don't want to muck up those soft aluminum threads leaving them exposed, we all know bar end hits are inevitable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Since there were no suggestions, i decided to experiment with some cheap, expanding bushing style bar plugs. I'll post back when i get them as there's gotta be others curious about this.

https://www.amazon.com/Fyxation-Bar-..._dp&th=1&psc=1

Apparently these also come with a 15mm bushing which is just a hair over the ibis bar ID at the threads. I'll try to shave it down a bit if it cant be shoehorned in there as-is.

mtbr member
    If the plugs have a plastic base like these, use scissors and cut the discs to make them like “fins”. This will make the base flexible enough to go in without damage.

https://www.amazon.com/Domain-Cyclin.../dp/B01N1TW0S1

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    No, this plug has a rubber expansion barrel--tighten the screw, the rubber barrel compresses and expands outward (like a drum sander mandrel if that familiar).

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    The result is that these Chiner expansion style bar ends off amazon do work here. They come with 2 expansion rubber barrels, the smaller of which is 15mm OD which is just .5mm larger than the 14.5mm ID of the Ibis threaded bar end. I shaved a small amount of material off 4 sides of the small barrel which was just enough to easily insert (and remove) the barrel in the threaded bore. Once tightened down, they engage the threads and are very snug.

So if you're looking to pull the 800mm extensions and run foam grips such as ESI, Red Monkey or any open end grips, this is a viable bar plug solution. Any of the Chiner or otherwise rubber expansion style (not flange style) plugs meant for smaller 15mm road bar ends should work here. I would avoid the plastic style plug as you may not be able to reduce the diameter without destroying it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bar end/plug for new Hi-Fi/Lo-Fi adjustable width bars?-img_20191205_221625-collage.jpg