Anyone running a Ripmo with Maxxis Assegai's ?- Mtbr.com
    Ride On!

Anyone running a Ripmo with Maxxis Assegai's ?

Expecting my Ripmo next month and noticed that the bike is no equipped with Maxxis Assegai 29Ē x 2.5Ē WT stock front/rear vs the DHF/Aggressor combo of when I ordered it. Anyone running the Assegai's yet ? Looks to be a good tire, but I am not sure that it is the best fit for the terrain I ride as a rear tire. The option is Nobby Nic's which I have ridden before and had a blast on them, the downside being they were not that sturdy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Personally, I would keep the Assegai on the front, but replace it on the rear with something else depending upon your requirements. Then save the rear Assegai as a front replacement when the original is worn...

mtbr member
    My Ripmo just showed up about a week and half ago. I ordered the 2.6 Nobby Nic and it came with 2.6 Hans Dampf front and 2.6 Nobby Nic rear. I don't expect these to last forever and will probably go with XR4 2.6. I really like the 2.6 tire size.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlhrd View Post
    Personally, I would keep the Assegai on the front, but replace it on the rear with something else depending upon your requirements. Then save the rear Assegai as a front replacement when the original is worn...
    That's what I am thinking and getting an Aggressor for the rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    That's what I am thinking and getting an Aggressor for the rear.
    What makes the Assegai's bad as a rear tire? My Ripmo came with them front and Rear and so far I have not had any issues with them. But I was riding a 26" with 2.3" specialized tires with narrow rims. So everything this big feels like it is stuck to the ground... ;-)

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iweiny View Post
    What makes the Assegai's bad as a rear tire? My Ripmo came with them front and Rear and so far I have not had any issues with them. But I was riding a 26" with 2.3" specialized tires with narrow rims. So everything this big feels like it is stuck to the ground... ;-)

It's a great tire... just possibly a bit overkill as a rear tire, depending upon your needs. It's quite possibly a good tradeoff to replace it with something a bit lighter and faster rolling for the average rider's terrain and usage. If you're shuttling or racing enduro tracks 80% of the time, run it front and rear. (I've only experienced it as a front tire, not on the rear).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Depends on your terrain. They are great for steep, loam, or mixed muddy stuff. I wouldn't run one on the rear for anything resembling trail riding, so if most people run nobbys then you probably won't want as much tyre as the assagai.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I agree on front only for the Assegai, unless you are:

-mainly doing DH
    -are super duper strong
    -or don't care about climbing/flat terrain speed

It's a beast with tons of traction, but not a fast roller.

mtbr member
    Just driving back from a week in the french alps with Assegai MaxxGrip DH f&r. Amazing tyre. Tonnes of grip - was able to take stupid lines without worrying about grip. But it is really slow. When my front HR wears out Iím going to replace it with an EXO Assegai. In my non-scientific but side by side comparisons, the DHR2 2.4 rolls just as fast as the 2.5 Aggressor... so I run a DHR on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlhrd View Post
    It's a great tire... just possibly a bit overkill as a rear tire, depending upon your needs. It's quite possibly a good tradeoff to replace it with something a bit lighter and faster rolling for the average rider's terrain and usage. If you're shuttling or racing enduro tracks 80% of the time, run it front and rear. (I've only experienced it as a front tire, not on the rear).
    Thanks. My wife and I dont race and are not concerned with how fast a tire is.

It does look like DHF and DHR run a little cheaper. So that is a factor.

Thanks for the insight!!!

Whatever
    I've had my Ripmo for 14 months now, it came with DHF/Aggressor. I've used that combo on bikes for several years, kind of a standard go to combo. Just got an Assegai MaxTerra 2.5 EXO+ for front and it is 2x the traction of DHF. DHF is good if you lean all the way, but there's that middleground where there's little traction.

I've been curious about Assegai for rear, as the Aggressor 2.5 isn't super fast (and I tried Aggressor 2.3 and it was too sketchy, didn't seem faster). Anyhow I read everywhere the Assegai is slow rolling...note that the MaxxGrip is very slow rolling. My riding has big climbs (Breckenridge, CO) but I'd rather optimize for going down. I'm going to give it a try and if it's too slow, it'll be my front next year :-)

PS...don't believe all the marketing blah on weight. Assegai EXO+ is something like 100-150 grams heavier than the DHF EXO 3C both in MaxTerra...I don't notice it. And the Aggressor feels way faster going down, rolls just as good, corners are insane.
    just ride

Ride On!
    Well, my Ripmo got my Ripmo sooner than expected, LBS owner told them that I bought a a few Ibis's over the year and managed to get it in a month early . The bike came with a Nobby Nic 2.6 & Hans Dampf 2.6 on the front. Not bad tires, I have ridden both before, good for some conditions, but I am riding in Chico and it there is a WHOLE lot of lava cap and rocks, Schwalbe's have not held up too well for me in the past, so I decided I would save them for conditions better suited for them. They might float good on sandy stuff, but they are just too balloon like and tend to bounce more in the rough than I am comfortable with. I decided to take the bike with the tires it came with to get ridding and ordering some new rubber.

I ended up get a Aggressor 2.5 WT for the rear and the Assegai for the front. Seems to be a great combo for around here, the Assegai grips like no ones business and the Aggressor performed as expected, sold braking, corning althogh not as fast rolling as the NN.

Happy with the current setup, it felt much more like the bike I demoed at Santa Cruz, where the bike had DHR/DHF 2.5's. Let the fun begin

BTW, while the tires were not the Aggressor/DHF combo I had thought would come on it, I am more than happy... you see... I got the GX Build with the Fox Grip2 and was suppose to get the SLX 4 piston brake... I was surprised to find a nice pair of 4 piston XT brakes!!! Well worth the tire replacement.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just got my Ripmo, was expecting the DHF/Agressor combo, but got double Assegai. Wow are they hard to climb! It feels like when you have a brake pad rubbing and there is the extra resistance. Downhill they are awesome, but they absolutely zap your energy going up and/or even flat. Needless to say, I ordered some faster rolling tires that I hope will be here this week. I am much more of an all around rider, so climbing is definitely equal to going down for me.

Ride On!
    Now I have been riding the Assegais/Agressor combo for a few weeks I am feeling that the Aggressor is too slow for a back tire and plan to use it when I doing shuttles and or big mountain riding at Tahoe.

I am thinking about going with a Rekon 2.4WT, ran the Rekon before when I had an HD3 and liked it. Wondering what others think about the switch and/or any suggestions. I mostly ride Bidwell Park in Chico, for now, it is very rocky (lava caps) While the Aggressor had given me exceptional traction, it does come at a high price.

Whatever
    I've now had my Assegai for 4 weeks on the front, and it is so much better than the DHF. I'm in the same boat, tore my Aggressor so I got a Maxxis Dissector 2.4. It's just....OK....not super fast, doesn't have great climbing traction (less than Aggressor). Had high hopes but I'm not sold on it. So I've ordered a 2.4 Rekon. I use CushCore in back so I'm hoping it'll hold up. Will report back...
    just ride

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just got my Ripmo, came with 2x 2.5WT Assegai. I was wondering why the wheels felt so heavy, and actually looked up the weights after this thread. Damn. I think I'll be swapping to something else. May keep the Assegai on front and swap to something more rollable on the rear.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Also another new Ripmo owner here with an Assegai. I ride CO front range primarily. For my regular rides, I think it's a bit heavy. I have the 2.5 Aggressor on the back. I've always run a 2.3. The weight diff between the 2.3 and 2.5 is minimal, but man the bike feels a bit heavy compared to my old V2 Bronson.

I'm swapping out the Assegai for my tried and true DHR2. Been running that for a long time and always been happy with it as a front tire.

As for the rear, I'm not sure yet. Sounds like people like the Rekon 2.4 WT for something faster.

You guys mind sharing what wheels you're running too? I'm currently on a stock set of Ibis aluminum wheels/hubs. Planning to upgrade in the near future to something a little sexier. Think that should make a decent difference as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I run a Rekon 2.4WT on the back of my Ripmo in the summer dry blown out dust in California and it rolls fast and breaks traction predictably. 29id carbon rim. I really like it for whipping the rear end around but it's not the ultimate in traction and probably even worse in the wet or mud. I like it more than the Aggressor for loose climbing traction but I'm comparing to 27.5 for last Aggressor I rode so maybe not apples to apples. If you're used to an Assegai in the back it's going to be a huge difference in every way.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by yagr68 View Post
    I run a Rekon 2.4WT on the back of my Ripmo in the summer dry blown out dust in California and it rolls fast and breaks traction predictably. 29id carbon rim. I really like it for whipping the rear end around but it's not the ultimate in traction and probably even worse in the wet or mud. I like it more than the Aggressor for loose climbing traction but I'm comparing to 27.5 for last Aggressor I rode so maybe not apples to apples. If you're used to an Assegai in the back it's going to be a huge difference in every way.
    Assegai on the back in dry dusty conditions just makes my lungs hurt. Wet/rooty/muddy... sure maybe?

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by MINImtnbiker View Post
    I've now had my Assegai for 4 weeks on the front, and it is so much better than the DHF. I'm in the same boat, tore my Aggressor so I got a Maxxis Dissector 2.4. It's just....OK....not super fast, doesn't have great climbing traction (less than Aggressor). Had high hopes but I'm not sold on it. So I've ordered a 2.4 Rekon. I use CushCore in back so I'm hoping it'll hold up. Will report back...
    Have you mounted your 2.4 Rekon's yet ? I got one for the rear tire and it was too small sitting on the S35 rims and looked way out of balance with the Assegai 2.5WT. I think I will try the 2.6, for now, I switched over to a Nobby Nic 2.6 (came with bike) which seems like a more appropriate match size-wise. Will be better rolling then the Aggressor, which now is relegated to shuttle/downhill duty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Have you mounted your 2.4 Rekon's yet ? I got one for the rear tire and it was too small sitting on the S35 rims and looked way out of balance with the Assegai 2.5WT. I think I will try the 2.6, for now, I switched over to a Nobby Nic 2.6 (came with bike) which seems like a more appropriate match size-wise. Will be better rolling then the Aggressor, which now is relegated to shuttle/downhill duty.
    Yes - got with Rekon 2.6 it measures to 2.5 max..if not smaller. I actually quite like it up front.

Ride On!
    Just a quick update, finding that, for now, the NN 2.6 in back is not a bad choice. Rolls faster and grips decently.

mtbr member
    I found my new front tire. I replaced the 2.5 DHF for the 2.5 Assegai on my Ripmo. Five rides in and Iím loving it on my home trails. Cornering traction is incredible and I donít notice any more rolling resistance. Itís a porky tire for sure, but Iíll live with that for the traction.

Iíll try the Dissector on the rear at some point to see if it can dethrone the DHR2.

Ride On!
    Just a quick update, finding that, for now, the NN 2.6 in back is not a bad choice. Rolls faster and grips decently.
    OOOPS... while it does roll better, it is starting to show a bit too much wear for me. I live in Chico, CA and the trails are on top of lava cap and very rocky. Assegai is holding up better. While I really like the NN and Hans Dampf, they both seem to lack in the durability department.