Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    59

    Anyone with a HD in Texas?

    Anyone considering the HD140 in Texas? I was about to pull the trigger on the SL, but with the HD140 out I'm back into the "which one" dilemma. Most people would say it's overkill for the trails here. I'm coming from a 90mm, 73HA, hardtail so I like the fact it has a 69HA for a slacker geometry.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: txnrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by phidailo
    Anyone considering the HD140 in Texas? I was about to pull the trigger on the SL, but with the HD140 out I'm back into the "which one" dilemma. Most people would say it's overkill for the trails here. I'm coming from a 90mm, 73HA, hardtail so I like the fact it has a 69HA for a slacker geometry.
    Overkill for Houston - yes. But the bike offers so much flexibility and who knows you may want to vacation with it in Colorado or New Mexico. I have an SL but if I do it over I'm on board with the HD140. For me, the biggest downside of the Mojo is the bottle holder on the other side of the downtube and I can live with that. I know have three hydration packs.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,349
    HAHA! You know you're a Mojo Texan if'n yur *****in about water bottle placement and camelbaks. I'm with you 100%.
    I'm in Austin, and I'm super interested in the HD140 w/ 650b wheels. My std Mojo w/ 650b front is not too much bike at all for the fun-ner (ie, steep f'n rock gardens) trails near home. I asked one of the guys at BSS about the HD, and he said they weren't planning on stocking it because it wasn't right for this area...... What? How they could say that with a rack full of Remedys and Enduros is beyond me. Everybody's 29er crazy around here these days.... and they do roll over the limestone chatter realy well.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: txnrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    66
    Yeah another thing I should have mentioned - I'm here in Austin and I run 650b front and rear. The clearance in the rear is very tight and it can be a pain putting the rear wheel on if you don't do it all the time. Which is another reason for going with an HD (slightly longer chain stays if you choose 650b). I'm guessing it would probably much easier to line up and get that rear wheel on with a maxle rear axle as well.

    I thought Yody's review was a great comparison between the SL and HD140 and he gave some compelling reasons to make the switch.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,349

    650b mojo rear tire choice for Austin

    Hey txnrider, what 650b tire are you running on the back of your Mojo? I love the Nevegal 2.35 up front, and I'm getting ready to build a 650b wheel for the back. I've ordered a Neo-Moto 2.1 so I'll be giving that a try.... I've run the 2.3 version so I'm not expecting any big surprises. Was tempted by the higher volume Racing Ralph, but I don't think it would last more than a week on my usual routes. You?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: txnrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    66
    Did have Nevegals F&R. The clearance on the back is very close and I even had to snip the side knobbies. Now I am running the Racings Ralphs which is a smaller width and give me better clearance. I personally like this tire better than the Nevegal. For me, it seems to roll better and hook up just as well. Maybe lighter?? I don't know. I just know I like this one better even though it is somewhat pricey.

    BTW, I've never had any problems with either of these two brands shedding TX mud and clogging up the rear triangle.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    59
    I agree txnrider that Yody's comparison between the two bikes is great...that's why it's hard to choose, especially not being able to demo the HD. From what people are saying, it's very similar to the standard/sl mojo but maybe not as snappy. That is my only concern....I rode a Turner RFX in norcal and although it was a great bike, it felt heavy and sluggish, so if the HD feels anything like that I'll have to pass.

    I need to go check the trails out in ATX....I've been there once before but was just leisure riding with my wife around Zilker Park

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by phidailo
    I agree txnrider that Yody's comparison between the two bikes is great...that's why it's hard to choose, especially not being able to demo the HD. From what people are saying, it's very similar to the standard/sl mojo but maybe not as snappy. That is my only concern....I rode a Turner RFX in norcal and although it was a great bike, it felt heavy and sluggish, so if the HD feels anything like that I'll have to pass.

    I need to go check the trails out in ATX....I've been there once before but was just leisure riding with my wife around Zilker Park
    For sure, give a shout if you're coming to Austin... most of the best trails aren't really on a map.

    This is just an educated guess, but I'd be really surprised if a HD140 didn't feel quite a bit snappier than a heavier, longer travel RFX would. Early reports are that the HD160 feels lighter and snappier than a Firebird, right?


    I have a theory about the "snappy" feel people report on the SL & classic, based on my experience with my own. Obviously the DW antisquat gives them a better acceleration feel than a system with a lot of bob or squat will have. In this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=660685
    Miatagal96 describes it as feeling turbocharged when she steps on the pedals. I feel that too, and so do friends of mine who've ridden my bike. But based on the fact that even my Ti Mojo hardtail (which is a much lighter cross country rocket) doesn't have that feeling, makes me think that it really is a "feeling" more so than any measurable performance gain. Anyway, here's my point... I think that the "light" anti-squat of the SL/Classic allows enough very subtle squat in the rear, and lift in the front, that it gives it some of that feeling you get in a sportscar, or on a motorcyle, under hard throttle...the back-end squats slightly, the rear tire bites hard, the front end rises a bit, and the grins and giggles commence. I could be smoking crack (if I had some), but that's what it feels like to me.... makes me make "BWWRRRAAAAAA-AAA-AAAAAH" dirt bike throttle noises.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by txnrider
    Did have Nevegals F&R. The clearance on the back is very close and I even had to snip the side knobbies. Now I am running the Racings Ralphs which is a smaller width and give me better clearance. I personally like this tire better than the Nevegal. For me, it seems to roll better and hook up just as well. Maybe lighter?? I don't know. I just know I like this one better even though it is somewhat pricey.
    Was that a 2.35 Nev you had on the back, or a 2.1? I'll bet a 2.35 would be really tight. I'm really intrigued by the RR's, but after destroying another Nev 2.35, I'm afraid the RR wouldn't hold up... pretty much all my rides are on all the rocky side trails off the BCGB, and I've destroyed lots of tires.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.