mtbr member

Anyone have trouble threading in Mojo HD rear maxle?

Just building up my new Mojo HD (I'll have pics for you tomorrow!) and I'm finding EXTREMELY difficult to thread in the rear maxle with the wheel on. Without the wheel on it is relatively easier, but does not go in easily by any means; I am forced to flex the rear stays and twist the maxle until the threads grab.

Do I have an issue here or is this common place? I wanted to check with other's experiences before contacting Ibis or getting too worked up.
    Evil Insurgent/Purple Hope Hubs.Brakes.Pedals/35mm 12k LB Wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Mine threads easily.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    From my experience it should not take any sort of great effort, might be a little fiddly at times but I haven't had to physically persuade the stays into alignment.

mtbr member
    Mine is pretty tight, it goes in easier if u screw it in, even if its not threaded yet, I think the tolerances are really tight

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have the same problem.

mtbr member
    If you are having the same problem I would recommend removing the derailleur hanger and reinstalling it, making sure it sits flush and is centered on the hole. There was a little room for play in mine and a little debris from somewhere (tiny carbon slices??). I removed the debris, cleaned up the area, and remounted the derailleur hanger with a dab of grease and the maxle slides in MUCH better now.
    Evil Insurgent/Purple Hope Hubs.Brakes.Pedals/35mm 12k LB Wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is this a warranty issue or not? Mine is also the same but I find it harder to remove the maxle than threading in. The wheel needs to be pulled backwards in order for the maxle to be removed quickly.

the refurbished one
    what hubs are you using?
    with my ck wheelset i do have the same problem. hope and dt work just fine.
    cant find out wheres the problem because on my second bike all three work flawlessly...
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Chris king hubs as well. I noticed that when the maxle gets out of thw thread the wheels move because of the tension of the RD. Tried pulling the rd pulley forward to reduce stress and i can now remove te maxle easily because it no longer misalign.

Are you installing the axle with the bike in the work stand? If so try it with both wheels on the ground.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I tried doing it in the workstand, on the ground and upside down. Same results. Onche the maxle is out of the thread, the maxle will not totally be removed unless i align the wheels again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had trouble with this issue on my Ripley. The axle was hitting the derailleur hanger.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did they replace your hanger? Its actually not that of a concern because once i align the wheel the maxle can already be removed easily. I just did not experience that from my Intense and Turner 142 spacing bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    Did they replace your hanger? Its actually not that of a concern because once i align the wheel the maxle can already be removed easily. I just did not experience that from my Intense and Turner 142 spacing bikes.
    I just loosened the hanger and repositioned it. Problem solved.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice. Could you do me one favor?could you check your seatstay (driveside and non driveside) if it has equal gap in relation to the seattube? My left seatstay has 3mm gap whil the right has at least a millimeter. Perhaps thats the reason why my maxle is hard to release because my frame has a bit of misalignment issue

Members who have read this thread: 0