Any tall riders on Mojo HDs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Any tall riders on Mojo HDs?

Hey there,

Was hoping I could get a bit of advice from any tall guys riding a Mojo HD at the moment.

It's top of my short list for a new frame in the new year (also looking at Nomad, SB-66 & Tracer 2).

I'm 6ft 6 and have a 35" in-seam, and weigh about 110kg (240 lbs).

At the moment I ride a 21.5" Trek Fuel Ex and the bike fits me fine. I want to get the Mojo HD as more of an 'all mountain' rig, though I've been struggling to find bikes with this about of travel in a size I can still pedal back up the mountain on.

I've noticed a lot of folk in the HD build thread have XL frames. Is there anyone else out there riding a HD who's my size, and if so, how do you find it?

I'm hoping to get a test ride at some point (not sure what size) but as I live in the UK my LBS says they won't have anything available now until the new year. I'm not in a rush so it's not a big deal, but I'd like to hear others experiences.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

bummer

At 6'2 the XL still feels a bit small to me.

One thing I would highly recommend for you is a 750 or larger handlebar whatever bike you get, especially with your wingspan. I have a 750mm Havoc uncut on the HD, and an 760mm Chromag on the rigid Niner singlespeed......wide bars rule!

Lots of larger guys ride Turner Sultan's here in SoCal, so you might want to put that on your bike shortlist.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The Specialized Enduro is probably the biggest sized XL frame on the market. I found the mojo hd way too small for me (6-5, 36 inch inseam). I'm selling an Enduro frame to upgrade if anyones interested

mtbr member
    6'2 and ride an XL and to be honest if I was any bigger it would be to small. Totally agree on the wider bars mentioned above, im running 745's right now and will switch to 750's when I go to the Havoc bar.

mtbr member
    also 6'2 XL frame, originally installed 780 handlebars which were too wide, cut down to 760 and perfect now.

mtbr member
    Hello Jambo13,
    Tom from Ibis posting. I'm 6'6" as well (38" inseam), and ride an XL HD. The XL HD's top tube is shorter than your Fuel EX by approximately 20mm. The Trek's tend to follow the 'long top tube, short stem' mode of frame design, and if this is the kind of set-up you like, the HD may not be appropriate for you. You may need to compensate with a longer stem, wider bars, or offset seat post to get the same fit as your EX.
    We like to make our bikes nimble. And while the long TT/short stem thing does give you straight line stability it also can make steering the bike like driving a a truck. Also, in general, it seems like cornering is more of a challenge than going in a straight line. So we tailored the geometry to excel at going around corners.
    Personally, I run a 110 stem and a zero offset seat post. Given current trends, I know that a 110 stem sounds 'gigantic', but I've found that being a taller rider I have a more dramatic rearward weight bias than smaller riders and the longer stem puts me a little bit more on the front wheel. Which keeps me from pushing the front end in corners. That said, I could probably run wider bars, and go as short as a 90 stem.
    Ultimately, if you're really interested in the Mojo HD, the best thing you can do is try one through a demo ride. Hopefully, you'll have the opportunity to get it fairly well set up for your ride (appropriate stem size and shock set-up), and decide for yourself whether or not it will work.
    Happy Trails!
    Tom

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam. I went from an Enduro Pro to a Mojo HD last year and have been completely happy with the change. Like Tom, I'm running a longer stem -- 100 MM; I've thought about going down to 90, but my Answer Pro Taper handlebars are already pretty wide. The only time the bike has felt too small is on tight uphill switchbacks when I've occasionally hit a knee on the bars while pedaling seated.

_____
    Jul 2007
    I'm 6'5 with a 36" inseam and have been on a XL HD for a year now and had a XL Mojo SL before that. I like to ride as aggressively as I can (how aggressive can a 6'5 freak really ride?) and I want a bike that does not flex and can turn on a dime. I ride an average of three times a week for an hour and a half and climb between 1000 to 1500 feet per ride over 10 to 12 miles. My trails are chunky and rocky with steep hills and tight high and low speed single track turns. I run a Joplin 20mm set back drop seat post and an 80mm stem with 750mm Havoc bars. The cockpit feels a little cramped for long XC rides but handles great with the seat post dropped. Over the last two years I have shortened my stem from 110mm to 80mm and I have widened my bars from 710mm to 750mm. I am very happy with the fit and handling of the bike for my riding style. In my opinion the HD is built stiffer and heavier than the SL because it is intended to be driven hard and fast. I switch to a 90mm or a 110 mm stem if I am do longer less aggressive XC rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Good job! Thank you all very much

Hey,

Thank you all very much for sharing your experiences, I really appreciate it

It sounds like it'll come down how I get on with the sizing personally but it's good to hear there are others my size rocking on the Mojo HD. Hopefully I'll be able to find an XL to take a test ride on somewhere in the South of England.

I have to admit one of the things attracting me to Mojo is all the good thing said about them on here and their customer service. When your spanking that much money on a frame you want to feel like if it all goes shitsville your not going to be ignored by the manufacturer. I had that experience with Trek when my chainstays snapped (ironically, the only aluminium part on the carbon bike) and it took them a month to fix despite a lifetime warranty.....

Thanks for the comments also on stem length and bar size; I hadn't realised that bar width could make such a difference for tall guys. I've got a 720mm bar tucked away already for the build that I might try slapping on my Trek for the moment to see how I get on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    6' 4" 36" inseam and ridding an XL Mojo HD with a 90mm stem. I have demoed all the bikes you mentioned including the Nomad Carbon, but none climbed as well as the HD. My biggest concern was climbing abilty when shopping for an all mountain bike. The technical trails I ride are 50% climbing. I've been ridding a FS 29er for the last 3 years because every all mountain bike I demoed was disappointing for climbing. I was not interested in a 5" travel bike because my FS 29er performs just as good or better. The HD is an amazing bike. Being able to climb the mountain to reach my favorite downhill trails is awsome.