Any New RIPMO Rumors?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Any New RIPMO V.2 Rumors?

Just curious if anyone has heard anything about Ibis updating the Ripmo with the Ripmo AF geo numbers and possibly new colors? I've heard a few shops saying some things but nothing substantial. Anyone hear anything out there at the moment? What would you like to see Ibis do with a new Ripmo?
    Last edited by Rev. 14; 01-12-2020 at 11:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I don't want a redesigned Ripmo. The Ripmo is already exactly what a daily do-it-all bike should be. (The AF looks pretty damn sweet too, but the longer reach on the medium doesn't fit me.)

What I do want is a 170/160mm+, 64ish degree, no compromise, no middle-ground, kick-ass race 29er. I don't want a sort of progressive but only sort of suspension design like the AF or the Ripley 4. Forget "can" use a coil shock. I want "should" use a coil shock. I want the kind of bike that writes a Pinkbike classified ad for my DH sled and puts Robin Wallner on top of a podium. I want a Mojo HD9er!

(And since we're making wishes here, is the Ripmo pork chop ready yet? Three new bikes released and still no love for the swine sack?)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This^. As much I a thing the AF is BA, it would be my second bike and I want something just a little bigger. I think 160 rear is gonna be the standard for future trail bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Any New RIPMO Rumors?

Personally I donít want multiple bikes. I could see adding an inexpensive 29+ hardtail to the mix but I donít see the need for multiple ds bikes. Funny how many megatower riders want to add another 5k tallboy to the mix when a hightower would be the best fit. Just my .02 and I guess the perfect number of bikes is N+1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    Personally I donít want multiple bikes. I could see adding an inexpensive 29+ hardtail to the mix but I donít see the need for multiple ds bikes. Funny how many megatower riders want to add another 5k tallboy to the mix when a hightower would be the best fit. Just my .02 and I guess the perfect number of bikes is N+1.

lol...i have HT2 and now really want the TB4/MT combo instead. N+1 for life!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ribbs76 View Post
    lol...i have HT2 and now really want the TB4/MT combo instead. N+1 for life!

Ha! Sick bikes either way.

banned
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    This^I think 160 rear is gonna be the standard for future trail bikes.
    Sounds like you are confusing Trail with All Mountain? So 120-130 is going to be the future standard for all XC bikes, right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just a few a tweaks to the Ripmo would be all it needs. The option to run coil would be nice. Ability to run brake lines cleanly for those that run the rear on the left and fully internal router dropping and a bolt on linkage guard like the HD5. Oh and an all black colour with no sneaky colours added to it.

Geometry wise I canít comment as still riding an old Mojo but they will probably be only minor tweaks as Ibis have said the Ripmo AF is aimed at a different rider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I don't really see them doing anything other than maybe some new colors like the Mojo 3. An angleset headset takes care of the only issue most seem to complain about.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    No way would they update geo on the AF and not offer it in plastic eventually. What would be cool, and perhaps a likely possibility, is an 'LS' Ripmo option down the road...
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

Ride On!
    I am a very happy Ripmo owner. For me, it is a bike that is fun, challenges me to be a better rider and gets me through most of the shit I get myself into on the trail. I know that the current trend is toward longer/slacker geometries and that every bike should be a downhill slayer, however, for the average joe rider who wants to go out and have fun IMHO it would be very hard to beat the Ripmo. Maybe some new colors with some of the brake cable routing features of the HD5 mentioned would be a good thing. Personally, I really like the black/olive color scheme. I am a cold war Veteran and the olive drab color brings out the "soldier up" feelings of yesteryear.

mtbr member
    think 160 rear is gonna be the standard for future trail bikes.
    I certainly hope not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVV View Post
    What I do want is a 170/160mm+, 64ish degree, no compromise, no middle-ground, kick-ass race 29er. I don't want a sort of progressive but only sort of suspension design like the AF or the Ripley 4. Forget "can" use a coil shock. I want "should" use a coil shock. I want the kind of bike that writes a Pinkbike classified ad for my DH sled and puts Robin Wallner on top of a podium. I want a Mojo HD9er!
    Yes to all of this. I nearly pulled the trigger on a Banshee Titan because it's so close but I keep thinking "what if Ibis have a long travel 29er coming".

We can dream.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    Yes to all of this. I nearly pulled the trigger on a Banshee Titan because it's so close but I keep thinking "what if Ibis have a long travel 29er coming".

We can dream.
    Rode a Titan in Rotorua a couple of weeks back. That is a kick-ass bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    Sounds like you are confusing Trail with All Mountain? So 120-130 is going to be the future standard for all XC bikes, right?
    I remember the Judy DH fork at 80mm!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Some good comments in here, seems majority agrees it should be slacker with a steeper STA. April this year, 2020, the RIpmo will be two years old. I'm curious what's up the sleeve of Ibis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm happy with my Ripmo. I'd like a bike with more travel, but then it would be too much on the tame rides I'm sometimes forced to do. I did settle on a -1 degree headset fulltime, although on those tame rides the regular headset is great (just got tired of swapping). A more progressive suspension would be nice, not for coil but so I don't have to pack my air can to the limit.

If they came out with a big 29er, I'd put the old headset in my ripmo and make it more trail (less capable) and get the big one too

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Pretty confident there is a new plastic-fantastic Ripmo about to drop... most online retailers have little to no stock of current model, and a local dealer just posted they are throwing in IBIS carbon wheels w purchase of in-stock Ripmo frames which can be had w any Ibis build kit available... tells me Ibis is clearing out Ripmo inventory and left over previous version of Carbon wheels (pre-Stans collaboration)... all in prep for a new Carbon Ripmo drop.

All speculation and hard to say if it will land exactly as the AF or if they decide to find something unique but seems they tested the waters of an update at low cost but great execution and success. Maybe they will call it the Ripmo CAF.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I really hope they come out with a CAF and leave the AF option where you can spend money on suspension and not plastic.

El Mirador
    I was ready to get the carbon Ripmo in December and my shop said to wait as a new one is coming out in February. Hard to say if the info is solid, but he delayed his sale based on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    Pretty confident there is a new plastic-fantastic Ripmo about to drop... most online retailers have little to no stock of current model, and a local dealer just posted they are throwing in IBIS carbon wheels w purchase of in-stock Ripmo frames which can be had w any Ibis build kit available... tells me Ibis is clearing out Ripmo inventory and left over previous version of Carbon wheels (pre-Stans collaboration)... all in prep for a new Carbon Ripmo drop.

All speculation and hard to say if it will land exactly as the AF or if they decide to find something unique but seems they tested the waters of an update at low cost but great execution and success. Maybe they will call it the Ripmo CAF.
    kamper11 --
    Which local dealer are you referring to? I'd be a buyer.

Mike

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Iíd like to see some revised colors. I love the new Ripley blue on black. Still digging my current Ripmo, best bike Iíve ever owned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'll be bummed if its more than a color change ... since I waited all summer to get a ripmo and now its sitting in the shed waiting for the spring!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    I'll be bummed if its more than a color change ... since I waited all summer to get a ripmo and now its sitting in the shed waiting for the spring!
    There is a solution to that. Ignore all articles and threads about the new Ripmo and ride your bike like its the latest and greatest. I am on an HD3 I bought just when the HD4 came out and the Mojo 3 was new as well. it still rides like teh latest and greatest bike i've ever owned

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    totally right - and I will as soon as i am able.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If something new comes out Iíll prob upgrade. That said, I wouldnít necessarily call the AF numbers better. You may gain a little in stability but lose some of the Ripmoís all around trail capabilities. I guess Iím saying the grass isnít always greener.

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    There is a solution to that. Ignore all articles and threads about the new Ripmo and ride your bike like its the latest and greatest. I am on an HD3 I bought just when the HD4 came out and the Mojo 3 was new as well. it still rides like teh latest and greatest bike i've ever owned
    Well put, enjoying the hell out of my Ripmo and miss the hell out of my HD3, great bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    Maybe they will call it the Ripmo CAF.
    When they do drop it, I'm really hoping they call it the Ripmo RE (ha, geddit?).

AF is really only for the Aluminium Frame, have a Carbon with AF just seems lazy, but a Ripmo that Rips More certainly sits better with how Ibis do they're naming conventions!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mirador View Post
    I was ready to get the carbon Ripmo in December and my shop said to wait as a new one is coming out in February. Hard to say if the info is solid, but he delayed his sale based on it.
    This is great news, lets see what happens. I'm in no rush to get v.2 Ripmo but I will be happy when it does.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mirador View Post
    Confirmed. I already saw the colours. Beautiful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    zzz
    Last edited by MikeInPA; 01-28-2020 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr super member
    Would you mind sharing the colors? I really like the black/olive green color they currently offer. Hope we see some pics soon!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Any news on the geo/travel? I've heard "carbon AF", from an unreliable source

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Following...closely!

mtbr member
    Anyone knows if the there are more updates than just the AF geo?
    HD5 shock tunes?
    Base kit with DVO suspension like the AF?
    Flip chip?
    Two bottle cages?
    Frame Storage?
    Ripmu (llet) ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Anyone knows if the there are more updates than just the AF geo?
    HD5 shock tunes?
    Base kit with DVO suspension like the AF?
    Flip chip?
    Two bottle cages?
    Frame Storage?
    Ripmu (llet) ?
    4 bottle cages

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Current Ripmo is shipping with an updated lighter tune FYI

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Per Chuck Ibis in a email the Ripmo (DPX2) Traction Tune is only lighter rebound.

My HD5 has the Traction Tune X2 and it almost bucked me to the moon when I parking lot rode it with rebound almost open (I'm only 145#). Had to add about 8 clicks of rebound damping to get it to feel decent when I normally don't add any or very little.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    I am thinking if it's just geo update you might as well try to get a deal on current generation ripmo and add angleset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    I am thinking if it's just geo update you might as well try to get a deal on current generation ripmo and add angleset.
    Bur 'Moar Progressive'

I love my Ripmo as is, and will try an angleset one of these days - I have with every other bike I've owned in the last 5 years or so. My hope is that they keep the Ripmo as is, but look at a "Full Enduro" 160mm rear travel 29'er

But in truth I think they'll update the Carbon Ripmo to the Ripmo RE (as I've previously mentioned above) as it's a change that brings more hype, without changing too much.

I still hope there's a full bruiser 29'er Enduro bike in the works though!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Does anyone especially over 150 lbs like the traction tune?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Does anyone especially over 150 lbs like the traction tune?
    I am 190+ and have my X2 shock/Grip2 fork tuned to the lightest high speed compression damping available. Traction tune is a good thing and simply moves the tuning window to the softer side. 99% of riders should be within this range and be able to find a happy spot.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Traction tune isn't loved much by the reviewers. Kendall-Weed and Pinkbike tried it and ended up setting the tune more "traditional". When I've backed my settings off too much, the bike is too unsettled when riding hard and jumping. It's probably better for less aggressive riders though. Those saying the AF geo is too aggressive haven't looked at the other best selling bikes in this class. The AF is a match for most of them. It would be cool though if it came with an adjustable headset to give people 2 options. For extra shock progression, I haven't heard a single person complain about this change on the AF so it'll surely be there. Some nicer colors would be great or go Orbea style and let us pick our own. They do need to add some better protection for the rear linkage. Also every bike these days should be offered with an optional pre-installed frame wrap. Also need a removable shuttle pad (like SC bikes) and an extra set of bottle bosses on the underside front end of the top tube so people could put accessories here like a tube, bottle "keg" for tools, etc. Seeing a tube strapped to a fancy new carbon frame seems janky.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sfr, have you ridden an Ibis w traction tune? I have, I weigh 160 in the nude. After 2 mons on an HD5 w traction tune I just ordered a new rear shock and fork damper w traction tune.

mtbr member
    The Ripmo is the perfect trail bike as it is in its current state. I would just like to see new colors released but I'm sure Ibis will tweak the numbers on the AF side.
    2020 Ibis Ripley
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 SC Bronson
    2013 Jackal

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    Sfr, have you ridden an Ibis w traction tune? I have, I weigh 160 in the nude. After 2 mons on an HD5 w traction tune I just ordered a new rear shock and fork damper w traction tune.
    I'm not sure. I own a 2020 Ripmo AF and have demo'd a 2019 Ripmo carbon with DPX2 and a 2019 Mojo3 with, I think a DPS shock. I'm not certain if any of those have traction tune but there's rumors that the AF does...
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    .. Those saying the AF geo is too aggressive haven't looked at the other best selling bikes in this class. The AF is a match for most of them. It would be cool though if it came with an adjustable headset to give people 2 options. For extra shock progression, I haven't heard a single person complain about this change on the AF so it'll surely be there. ...
    Well I have heard the AF does not climb quite as well as carbon as it does not have that "pop". Is this due to extra weight of frame, HA, or shock progression? I have seen nothing definitive. The AF was design to be more DH oriented if the frame is going to be 2lbs heavier it will never climb as well as carbon one. 2lbs is 2lbs afterall. So it kind of makes some sense to make the AF a little more DH capable. Now I think Ibis is using the geo and shock changes as test bed for changes to Carbon model. The question is what does the data show? I don't know that Carbon Rimpo would be better if it climbed worse than it does now. Maybe it would help sales to have numerically slacker HA and a few mm of reach becuase those numbers are so en vogue right now. The challege will be to now foul up what makes the Rimpo standout and that is the ability to climb and accelerate better than a bike of class normally does. While Enduro monsters are cool you can have too big of a bike to be useful for most rides. Maybe a major change would better than half measures and full on slack long reach bike to directly compete with the SC Megatower, Spech Enduro, Pivot Firebird is best
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah, I'd rather them keep the Ripmo as is and bring out a 160f/170r 29er monster bike in carbon with a 64-64.5* HTA like the Firebird. Changing the Ripmo around its' edges makes it look you screwed up in the first place when in actuality you made maybe the best Trail/All-mountain bike around. And it still is. But that might make the brand new HD5 obsolete. Decisions...
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm not sure. I own a 2020 Ripmo AF and have demo'd a 2019 Ripmo carbon with DPX2 and a 2019 Mojo3 with, I think a DPS shock. I'm not certain if any of those have traction tune but there's rumors that the AF does...
    Looks like my AF is "custom light-tuned" and listed as "traction tuned".... That said, I and many people in the AF thread run our rebound almost fully open and our compression pretty open as well.

https://www.ibiscycles.com/news/traction-tune
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Well I have heard the AF does not climb quite as well as carbon as it does not have that "pop". Is this due to extra weight of frame, HA, or shock progression? I have seen nothing definitive. The AF was design to be more DH oriented if the frame is going to be 2lbs heavier it will never climb as well as carbon one. 2lbs is 2lbs afterall. So it kind of makes some sense to make the AF a little more DH capable. Now I think Ibis is using the geo and shock changes as test bed for changes to Carbon model. The question is what does the data show? I don't know that Carbon Rimpo would be better if it climbed worse than it does now. Maybe it would help sales to have numerically slacker HA and a few mm of reach becuase those numbers are so en vogue right now. The challege will be to now foul up what makes the Rimpo standout and that is the ability to climb and accelerate better than a bike of class normally does. While Enduro monsters are cool you can have too big of a bike to be useful for most rides. Maybe a major change would better than half measures and full on slack long reach bike to directly compete with the SC Megatower, Spech Enduro, Pivot Firebird is best
    2 lbs of non-rotational weight isn't much. I see it this way, I currently carry my water bottle and spare tube in my fanny pack. A full bottle and tube weight almost exactly 2 lbs. My AF, given you are comparing bikes with the same build kit, weighs the same as a carbon Ripmo carrying the full bottle and tube on the frame. Also, assuming you have a carbon Ripmo with a full bottle and tube on it, could you actually feel the ride difference if you removed these two items? I'd be amazed if you could. 2 lbs is 2 lbs though, so of course the carbon will be lighter but we're not talking 2 lbs of weight in the wheels or tires.

Also, there's lots of talk about the head tube angle. The AF is at 64.9 degrees and carbon Ripmo at 65.9. The new Hightower is 65.2 with 150 fork, Smuggler 66.0 with 140mm fork, Offering 65.2 with 160mm fork and SB130 65.5 with 150 fork. All of these except for the Smuggler are compatible with 160 forks which would put them about the same as the AF. If they did make the carbon Ripmo 64.9, there's no reason why you couldn't install an Angleset to increase the angle back to 64.9 to get some of that steering speed back.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My friend called Comp. Cy and put them on speaker and they said there will be a frame version available when its released. He wouldn't say when nor did he know colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dijck View Post
    Confirmed. I already saw the colours. Beautiful.
    What colors are they?

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    My friend called Comp. Cy and put them on speaker and they said there will be a frame version available when its released. He wouldn't say when nor did he know colors.

What colors are they?
    Can you enlighten me, what is meant by "a frame version"? Ripmo 2?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Scrub to about 9:15 and see an orange Ripmo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwcu2pvOaxI

My guess is there will be a black also

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Scrub to about 9:15 and see an orange Ripmo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwcu2pvOaxI

Orange bike is the current Ripmo AF.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Good catch

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This

mtbr member
    2 lbs of non-rotational weight isn't much. I see it this way, I currently carry my water bottle and spare tube in my fanny pack. A full bottle and tube weight almost exactly 2 lbs.

2lbs is 2 lbs. I come from an XC background so 2lbs if dead weight is still a lot of weight. Weight of water is really red-herring since you always need water. Yes the bottle can be empty or full, but 2lbs is still 2lbs. Will you notice it back to back. Probably not, but against the clock you will and you may see it pushing hard up a climb with friends. For me weight is always a factor and while it never the only factor it is real. On really steep climbs the bike climbs better than long travel bike should, but I still need to get forward to pin the front end down. A little slacker and that will mean little more forward. It will also mean a little less weight on flatter trails for cornering. Now these factors may not be enough to notice or might move the sweet spot away.

You did compare the Ripmo to the new Hightower and did the same. For my needs I opted for the lighter and slightly steer Ripmo as compared to slacker/heavier Hightower. I did not want a heavy sled of a bike as like climbing and nearly all my rides I have to climb to hit the descends. If I hate the climbs I will not do the ride. I felt the hightower was just too slack and heavy. Compared to my Epic at 22.5lbs the 30lbs or so Ripmo was already very heavy and for the same money going 2lbs more was just too much. I feel like I make the right choice as the Ripmo climbs better than expected given weight, travel and geo all the with more DH capability than I can use right now. So making the Ripmo less capable as a climber is not something I would want personally.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Damn. I thought I was gonna get some credit for wasting my time at work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2lbs is 2 lbs.

You did compare the Ripmo to the new Hightower and did the same. For my needs I opted for the lighter and slightly steer Ripmo as compared to slacker/heavier Hightower.
    Totally agree with everything you said. Facts... Just to further affirm your decision. I've spent so much time on the new Hightower. I really wanted to love that bike. It has all the numbers but to be honest, its the most dullest bike SC is making in the lower link VPP. While the MegaT is heavier it feels so much more fun. So, regarding the Ripmo compared to the Hightower: its so much more fun.

The Ripmo can be built up much lighter, easily you can hit 28lbs reasonably or lighter depending on your build. It climbs so much better and the bike just feels life giving rather than the Hightower does. I do wish Ibis gave it a slacker HTA but I suspect they will give the new carbon Ripmo the AF treatment. Hopefully keeping that fun factor: the BMXish feel the original carbon Ripmo has.

Ripmo is probably the most fun bike with 147mm of travel, not even the Yeti's feel like it and I've been on them too.

Still waiting on this dude to tell us what these colors are that he has seen "confirmed".

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I had heard of a new blue color .

mtbr member
    Ibis may have 4 new bikes dropping . And one is an E-BIKE.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Uh-oh. Better sell some stocks.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Zipmo AF?

LOL. I doubt it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    LOL. I doubt it.
    You doubted the AF too tho 🙂

You doubted the AF too tho 🙂
    True.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    LOL. I doubt it.
    Sad, but probably inevitable. You would kind of be crazy to give up the market share. The fact that SC has held out this long is surprising too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So does anyone know a time frame when the new one will come out. Is it this month ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    No one knows anything here. Just talking smack and speculating!
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    No one knows anything here. Just talking smack and speculating!
    I know that I don't know... And also that a bunch of us will keep checking here obsessively.
    Kind of torn between hoping for the new version to be awesome so I buy one and for it to be not so I can look for a good deal on OG Ripmo. If the first version is really a blend between the Ripley and HD4 (both of which I own and love) it probably is the one bike I need for 99% of the riding I do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickon64 View Post
    So does anyone know a time frame when the new one will come out. Is it this month ?
    I heard 3rd week of Feb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hmmm, so with the new Switchblade being pretty much identical geometry wise as the OG Ripmo, it will be even more interesting to see if they update the Ripmo to a Ripmo-RE, or keep it the same so they have a bike that goes directly toe-to-toe with the Pivot. Personally, as I've mentioned before, I love the OG and I'd prefer they release a Full Enduro Bruiser 29'er, but I guess we'll see in coming weeks or months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    I know that I don't know... And also that a bunch of us will keep checking here obsessively.
    Kind of torn between hoping for the new version to be awesome so I buy one and for it to be not so I can look for a good deal on OG Ripmo. If the first version is really a blend between the Ripley and HD4 (both of which I own and love) it probably is the one bike I need for 99% of the riding I do.
    That is exactly my position, I sold my bike just after Christmas and was looking at the Ripmo, so if a new one is due then I'm happy to wait a couple of weeks and either get the new one or a deal on the old one.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have no info but Iím most likely ready to sell my XL Ripmo frame w X2 and King headset. Not a scratch as it has covered with invisiframe from day one. Just moving on as a knee procedure is likely in my future. PM if interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    Kind of torn between hoping for the new version to be awesome so I buy one and for it to be not so I can look for a good deal on OG Ripmo.
    The good news is that the new version will be awesome (I also know nothing, but that seems like a safe bet) and so is the OG Ripmo. Can't go wrong!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msalvatore View Post
    I heard 3rd week of Feb.
    Which means it'll actually be available in August.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    3 Bikes I have been waiting before I pull the trigger on the AF. The new switchblade, Sentinel and a new GG LT 29er.

The new SB is just Pivot OG Ripmo. But Vital did hint a new Pivot between the SB and FB. My bet is an AF type SB.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I bet the Vital hint is nothing more than a Switchblade LT. Slightly slacker and more rear travel via the use of different rocker links, shock, floppy chips and headset cup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If it is to be released in Feb we typically would catch some glimpses under the EWS team riders but nothing on their Instagram accounts, looks as though they are running HD5s and new rider Cole Lucas looks to be on a Ripmo AF.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Mach 6 29er. Shame they are super boosting things still.

Back to ibis speculation...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    + 14

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny View Post
    If it is to be released in Feb we typically would catch some glimpses under the EWS team riders but nothing on their Instagram accounts, looks as though they are running HD5s and new rider Cole Lucas looks to be on a Ripmo AF.
    In the past, if I am not mistaken. Ibis has released bikes in time for Sea Otter, which is in April. Again, I am hoping that Ibis sticks with the Ripmo being a fun, poppy trail bike, rather than an Enduro Slayer. IMHO, that is the bike is the one most riders will benefit from pragmatically speaking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalTaz View Post
    In the past, if I am not mistaken. Ibis has released bikes in time for Sea Otter, which is in April. Again, I am hoping that Ibis sticks with the Ripmo being a fun, poppy trail bike, rather than an Enduro Slayer. IMHO, that is the bike is the one most riders will benefit from pragmatically speaking.
    There's not much to worry about. If they make it 1 degree slacker, you can undo that with an angleset. If it's more progressive, that will just slightly change the way your shock is setup. With those two things, it'd be about the same as the 2019 still.

There's no way they'd change it to be like a 2020 Specialized Enduro 170/170mm downhill rocket and leave a massive gap between that and the Ripley. Maybe they'll release a different Ripmo Super for that later.
    2020 Ripmo AF

Ride On!
    There's not much to worry about. If they make it 1 degree slacker, you can undo that with an angleset. If it's more progressive, that will just slightly change the way your shock is setup. With those two things, it'd be about the same as the 2019 still.

There's no way they'd change it to be like a 2020 Specialized Enduro 170/170mm downhill rocket and leave a massive gap between that and the Ripley. Maybe they'll release a different Ripmo Super for that later.
    Good point, I look forward to getting down to Santa Cruz later this spring and taking one out for a demo. I am sure it will be an awesome bike and others will be stoked and satisfied as I am with my OG one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nice, or come up to Truckee/Tahoe City and demo. Our shops will have them for sure. Olympic Bike Shop in Tahoe City and Cycle Paths in Truckee always have the Ripmo for demo and are ran by great people.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Delete

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Fanatik posted this. Does anyone make blue aftermarket stickers for Ripmos? Looks killer! Maybe it is a sneak peek at the new Ripmo? Wishful thinking haha

That's not a current stock color.

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdreynolds7 View Post
    Fanatik posted this. Does anyone make blue aftermarket stickers for Ripmos? Looks killer! Maybe it is a sneak peek at the new Ripmo? Wishful thinking haha

That looks awesome! Got me wondering what the folks at Ibis are up to , they just put an announcement page up for Enduro Magazine's Awarding the Ripmo again as "Trail Bike Of The Year" for 2020, which is KICKASS in itself! Are we looking at some new colors, a new bike ?? Guess I'll stay tuned, hopefully sometime soon

mtbr member

Stikrd.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Pretty sure it's a decal overlays given that Stikrd are the only comment so far on the Instagram post, and if you zoom in on the image you can see the edge of the decal just near the "I".

But, if I'm wrong it looks we find out on Monday!

It would take some serious effort change out the inside chain-stay decals and down tube ones too. It doesn't look like a sticker to me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Snickered overlay for sure. You can see the complete bike if you go to the bike gallery and filter by Ibis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Snickered overlay for sure. You can see the complete bike if you go to the bike gallery and filter by Ibis.

Boner kill Lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The problem with these decal kits from stikrd, etc are that you can always see a little bit of the outline of the decal. They look great from a distance but up close, if you're a bit picky, not so much. I've left the after-market decals to the rims, forks, shocks, bars.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Have a look at their Insta, and then zoom in on the photo, it definitely looks like a decal as there's a raised edge all the way around the "ibis" backside.

Not to say there won't be new colors and maybe this is close to the mark, but it's an existing build with very good decals

mtbr member
    That looks awesome! Got me wondering what the folks at Ibis are up to , they just put an announcement page up for Enduro Magazine's Awarding the Ripmo again as "Trail Bike Of The Year" for 2020, which is KICKASS in itself! Are we looking at some new colors, a new bike ?? Guess I'll stay tuned, hopefully sometime soon
    Damn,
    Winner in 2020 again? Kind of makes you think there is no reason to change. At least not this year. Maybe in 2021 unless you are looking at new colors.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Man, I love mine so much. Even on the not most technical, fastest, gnarliest stuff it's just so easy to ride and have fun on. I'm kinda thinking they wouldn't be promoting this test if they were gonna soon after change it. But according to my wife, I have been wrong at least once, so...
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Man, I love mine so much. Even on the not most technical, fastest, gnarliest stuff it's just so easy to ride and have fun on. I'm kinda thinking they wouldn't be promoting this test if they were gonna soon after change it. But according to my wife, I have been wrong at least once, so...
    It's good to hear the Ripmo is fun on slower easier trails. I'm considering getting one as a replacement for my Ripley. I find the Ripley is fun to ride on everything but the fastest gnarliest trails. Hoping the Ripmo is almost as fun on the slower flat trails as the Ripley but better for the tough stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slsl123 View Post
    It's good to hear the Ripmo is fun on slower easier trails. I'm considering getting one as a replacement for my Ripley. I find the Ripley is fun to ride on everything but the fastest gnarliest trails. Hoping the Ripmo is almost as fun on the slower flat trails as the Ripley but better for the tough stuff.
    It is. Dial in some compression damping (or set shock in middle setting) front and rear and they're awfully similar given the travel and wheelbase differences.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

The colour on the spokes looks almost as good as the one on new Ripmo Another colour will be much more subdued, obviously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The Ripmo just won Enduro Mtb's Trail Bike of the Year for the second year running against a new crop of contenders. If they do change it, a half degree slacker HTA and a tiny bit more progression in the rear seem to be all they should really dare do. No reason to mess with a great thing.

I'm kind of hoping they do release a new model, though, out of hope that I can get a bit of a discount on the old one.

mtbr member
    just asked my local dealer guy about if the RIPMO is carbon is getting the AF Geo change and he said ask him next week. He's trying to sell me his last year model. Gotta wait for this to drop and maybe his price will lower.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    One thing that I would like if they update is to add a DVO suspension package to the carbon bike.

I like my Topaz on my current bike and would honestly prefer the suspension spec on the $2999 Ripmo AF to the Fox Performance level suspension on the $8299 carbon Ripmo in X01 spec. It's crazy that you aren't even getting Performance Elite suspension (and so access to the better dampers) for over $8000. With Performance Elite, I'd still consider it a tossup with DVO, but with Performance, I'd take the suspension spec on the much cheaper bike every day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have ridden the fox factory with grip 2 and the fox performance on the same trail (both on Ripmos) and honestly it is hard to tell them apart. If anything the performance felt smoother (more likely setting on the grip 2 but still...)

I think a big factor is body weight. I weigh 160 and the tune on the performance 36 works pretty well for me. If you are very light or heavy you might need the extra adjustment of the grip 2. Anyway I got the performance shock because it has a lockout that you lose with the grip 2, cost was not a factor in the decision.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    just asked my local dealer guy about if the RIPMO is carbon is getting the AF Geo change and he said ask him next week. He's trying to sell me his last year model. Gotta wait for this to drop and maybe his price will lower.
    I heard the 18th

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
    I have ridden the fox factory with grip 2 and the fox performance on the same trail (both on Ripmos) and honestly it is hard to tell them apart. If anything the performance felt smoother (more likely setting on the grip 2 but still...)

I think a big factor is body weight. I weigh 160 and the tune on the performance 36 works pretty well for me. If you are very light or heavy you might need the extra adjustment of the grip 2. Anyway I got the performance shock because it has a lockout that you lose with the grip 2, cost was not a factor in the decision.
    I am a decent bit heavier than you, so that might make a difference to me. I know a lot of people like the Grip damper, though. It just seems crazy to me that Ibis is offering a company's third tier suspension in an 8000+ dollar bike. I don't care about Kashima, Performance Elite is fine in my book, but at least give me the option of the Fit4 or Grip2 dampers. Or just DVO really. I'd be totally satisfied with that.

Found a picture of the demo mule. gonna be sick!!!
    Any New RIPMO Rumors?-p4pb18142356.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I found a topaz takeoff from an AF, put it on my carbon and it's awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    One thing that I would like if they update is to add a DVO suspension package to the carbon bike.

I like my Topaz on my current bike and would honestly prefer the suspension spec on the $2999 Ripmo AF to the Fox Performance level suspension on the $8299 carbon Ripmo in X01 spec. It's crazy that you aren't even getting Performance Elite suspension (and so access to the better dampers) for over $8000. With Performance Elite, I'd still consider it a tossup with DVO, but with Performance, I'd take the suspension spec on the much cheaper bike every day.
    True. $8k should get you DVO or 36 Factory and X2 IMHO. My KTM 2 Stroke came with full suspension adjustments, CNC parts all over, and.... an engine that will hit 100mph for $7200 otd! Haha
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    True. $8k should get you DVO or 36 Factory and X2 IMHO. My KTM 2 Stroke came with full suspension adjustments, CNC parts all over, and.... an engine that will hit 100mph for $7200 otd! Haha
    I don't even need an X2! I actually suspect that the DPX2 might work great on the Ripmo as its less linear feel would seem to fit the suspension design. The new X2 does allow more tokens, though I believe, so it would be easier to ensure enough ramp up. If I was going DPX2, though, I'd at least want all the adjustment possibilities for over 8k.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Was just in my shop. They were building up two AFs. They confirmed new Ripmo real soon. Updated geo but not identical to AF.

mtbr member
    Any news on colors?
    2020 Ibis Ripley
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 SC Bronson
    2013 Jackal

pap
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Release end of month.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Excited for this. I hope they bump up the rear travel to 150.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    I hope it doesn't make me regret buying an AF this weekend Lol

Ride On!
    Found a picture of the demo mule. gonna be sick!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb18142356.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	1311369
    Man, what's the seat tube angle on that, got to be 84+ dg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Man, what's the seat tube angle on that, got to be 84+ dg
    All the details here:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-...rim-donut.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Donít see them going to 150 if the AF is only 147. Unless.... they do it just to make you think that somehow 150 is so much better then 147

Ride On!
    Not sure if it is relevant, but it might give a hint to some new bike colors. Ibis has some new Tech Tees with designs by Roxy Lo on them. They are a Merino Wool blend, not sure if that would make them a very good riding jersey, but they look cool just the same.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Attachment 1311525

Poor photo, but just found this over on PB, one of the writers has an album with this cover photo but no images, simply titled "Zapper"... album is dated 1969 as per another album on the same site from another writer for another unreleased bike...

Could be nothing, or it could be that something is in the pipeline and imminent?

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    Attachment 1311525

Poor photo, but just found this over on PB, one of the writers has an album with this cover photo but no images, simply titled "Zapper"... album is dated 1969 as per another album on the same site from another writer for another unreleased bike...

Could be nothing, or it could be that something is in the pipeline and imminent?
    Definitely lighter than the black. Hmmm interesting

mtbr member
    the news comes out monday from what I am told.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Attachment 1311525

Zapper sounds like an ebike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Looks like it could just be a black HD5 with the camera flash on.
    sounds like we'll get our answer this month though.
    Last edited by Annadel Adam; 02-13-2020 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Talking to my LBS today he stated that it will have a slight geometry change to put it more in line with the AF and it will be able to use a coil.

Also the colors will be a different blue and a gray. He called it a Toyota gray.

mtbr member
    Interesting, and a bit surprising if they actually change the Ripmo frame. It's really close the AF already, just a matter of a couple millimeters and one degree of HTA. Seems out of character for Ibis to cut new molds for such a tiny change, but I suppose the Ripmo is their biggest seller at this point so maybe worth it to keep up with trends.

I wonder if they could just tweak the linkage or maybe links and RT to make it coil compatible?

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    I wonder if they could just tweak the linkage or maybe links and RT to make it coil compatible?
    I believe on the AF, they mounted the shock lower on the down tube which gave them the progression they were looking for. Imagine they did the same on the new Ripmo, assuming it will be more progressive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Should they announce the new Ripmo soon, are they likely to have a batch of these in stock ready to ship or do they take a bit to get them out the door? I'm ready to pull the trigger on an AF but if the new one looks good, I'll go that route instead and hope the shop lets me transfer the deposit to the new bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Should they announce the new Ripmo soon, are they likely to have a batch of these in stock ready to ship or do they take a bit to get them out the door? I'm ready to pull the trigger on an AF but if the new one looks good, I'll go that route instead and hope the shop lets me transfer the deposit to the new bike
    Your shop should allow you to transfer to another, here's what I found out, which is not a whole lot.

Last week competitive said its coming soon and to wait next week. Today I called and asked if it will be ready to ship next week and the person acted all dumb. Have a friend who lives in NM and wrenches there, city and shop nameless, but said its coming Tuesday but doesn't know if they'll be ready to ship. He said when Santa Cruz released the Hightower and Megatower, they allowed shops to prepurchase build kits so they would be ready to go. Ibis, different company may not allow this practice.

Called a few shops locally here in Colorado (again nameless) and one guy was way cool, said he didn't know colors or availability but Monday is the day. The other two were really downright jerks about it. My question was availability and if they'll have any demos on the floor next week. One guy's like, "We know nothing, you people need to stop." I'm thinking "words out" and shops are fielding many calls on this.

Hey, I get it, you can't say much and don't want to breach/violate your exclusivity to carry Ibis brand but don't be a nob about it. Treat people honorably and right. How am I supposed to know if many are calling asking about this...

Anyway, I for one, who started this thread am really stoked about this thing. Again, if it maintains it playful poppy fun manners, with slacker HTA this thing will be the ultimate trail slayer. I'll get rid of my Santa Cruz quickly, see ya SC. I'm pretty convinced it will, everything Ibis seems to be doing now is boss, sorry Yeti and SC fans but it is what it is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    By the way, I'm hoping they'll be available on the demo truck in Sedona March 6-8. I'll make the drive for that as it seems many shops will not have any in stock to demo unless you purchase one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    When the AF dropped shops were able to pre order before the release date. Trust me. Dealers already know everything about the bike

mtbr member
    New Ripmo drops next week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I got my AF like 2 days after it was released. At the time, it seemed like most of the major shops were sent just a few bikes, maybe 2. You have to be ready to snag one on the spot. I looked around and Fanatik had 1 so I got it. If you didn't snag one right then, you'd likely have to wait a few months since a bunch of orders flooded in right away and you go in the que. I'm not saying it will be the same this time but that was my experience with the AF release and talking to shops shortly thereafter.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Your shop should allow you to transfer to another, here's what I found out, which is not a whole lot.

Last week competitive said its coming soon and to wait next week. Today I called and asked if it will be ready to ship next week and the person acted all dumb. Have a friend who lives in NM and wrenches there, city and shop nameless, but said its coming Tuesday but doesn't know if they'll be ready to ship. He said when Santa Cruz released the Hightower and Megatower, they allowed shops to prepurchase build kits so they would be ready to go. Ibis, different company may not allow this practice.

Called a few shops locally here in Colorado (again nameless) and one guy was way cool, said he didn't know colors or availability but Monday is the day. The other two were really downright jerks about it. My question was availability and if they'll have any demos on the floor next week. One guy's like, "We know nothing, you people need to stop." I'm thinking "words out" and shops are fielding many calls on this.

Hey, I get it, you can't say much and don't want to breach/violate your exclusivity to carry Ibis brand but don't be a nob about it. Treat people honorably and right. How am I supposed to know if many are calling asking about this...

Anyway, I for one, who started this thread am really stoked about this thing. Again, if it maintains it playful poppy fun manners, with slacker HTA this thing will be the ultimate trail slayer. I'll get rid of my Santa Cruz quickly, see ya SC. I'm pretty convinced it will, everything Ibis seems to be doing now is boss, sorry Yeti and SC fans but it is what it is.
    Have you done a real demo on the new lower link SC bikes? They're bad ass and don't give up anything to the Ibis except that the Ripmo can clear 2.6 tires and run a coil. The SC gives you a lifetime warranty and is a bit more plush. And this is coming from someone on an Ibis who loves it.
    2020 Ripmo AF

Have you done a real demo on the new lower link SC bikes? They're bad ass and don't give up anything to the Ibis except that the Ripmo can clear 2.6 tires and run a coil. The SC gives you a lifetime warranty and is a bit more plush. And this is coming from someone on an Ibis who loves it.
    They do give up a pound of weight and pedaling efficiency, but I guess that doesn't count.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    SC makes great bikes but they have become as common as Treks and Specialized. I think it is funny how many people buy their bikes by brand alone. Again, they make great stuff and Iíd consider one but I do find the bikes from Evil, Revel, Forbidden and Ibis are more appealing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    They do give up a pound of weight and pedaling efficiency, but I guess that doesn't count.
    My demo was on a cc xo1 with carbon wheels so it was a bit skewed due to the light build. Pedaling efficiency was almost the same as the carbon Ripmo I demo'd. Both had pretty fast rolling tires. Pedaling the HT2 oddly reminded me of how the Ripmo feels over and through obstacles. Ibis does still have the best feel though. They just pedal so damn great. I went for the AF in the end because the frame is only 0.85 lbs heavier than a C HT2 plus the Ibis can fit bigger tires, run a coil and has a bit more travel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I still think it's odd they are doing a slight geometry update before the Mojo3 gets one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes, Iíve been on all the lower link 29ers SC makes. Since youíre talking mostly about the Hightower v.2, Iíll say this.

Iíve spent several days on the v.2 Hightower. Itís a huge improvement over the last Hightower in the suspension area, climbing and descending. Geometry is very good.

But, the bike is very vague feeling almost sort of numb. It lost the playfulness of the v.1 and HTLt had. I wanted to like it but itís just sort of blah. Yes, it climbed really well, I wouldnít say better than a Ripmo but it did better than the last iteration.

The Ripmo on the other hand is night and day quicker, poppier, and so much more fun! It has the bmx party feel that puts a smile on your face. The thing just surged up steep climbing here on Colorado and I couldnít believe how I was smiling about climbing up hill. The only thing I wish is just a little more slacker HTA, which an angleset works and solves.

I was on the GX build on the Ripmo and it was 29.3 lbs, vs an XO Hightower build that was about 30.8 lbs. Ripmo can easily crack 28 lbs no problem.

While I think the lower link SC 29ers are good, I think the Megatower and Tallboy are the best of the bunch, the Hightower leaves much to be desired. Plus SC is overbuilding their carbon frames in every category. Their frames are just a little too much on the heavy side.

The Ripmo and Ripley can be built up so much lighter than the Hightower or Tallboy. The lower links are more plush feeling no doubt but the DW can be tweaked in the shock to give you more of that.

Ripmo is just a more fun bike than the Hightower is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Unlike the Ripley V4, Ibis has made sure no online shops post ads for the new Ripmo days before (yeah, I've been OCD checking, ha). Was it Fanatik Bike or Pro Bike Supply that had the premature RipV4 pages?

Well Biked
    JKW just said he is making just 3 videos for Ibis this year, and the first must be for the Ripmo. I'm guessing the second is the Mojo 4 and the 3rd the Ibis ebike (Emo)?

As for changes I'm guessing a 77 degree seat tube is a given with a touch more reach, and a half a degree head tube angle slacker. That and more ramp up for coil, and some badly needed protection for the linkages.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    "Emo"--

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Friend bought a Ripmo frame today. Built and ridden.
    His jaw dropped when told of this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I suspect if the rumors are true, there will be a lot of 1st gen Ripmos for sale

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just realize, I've been checking this thread every single day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What has been said is pretty close. There are not any secrets at this point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I would be pretty pissed at my dealer if they knew of a new one and didn't let him know. My dealer told me last month to hold off till the 18th of this month "wink wink".

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by msalvatore View Post
    I would be pretty pissed at my dealer if they knew of a new one and didn't let him know. My dealer told me last month to hold off till the 18th of this month "wink wink".
    Yeah, I hear ya. Pretty crap move if a new one is imminent, unless a huge discount was had.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I suspect if the rumors are true, there will be a lot of 1st gen Ripmos for sale
    I'm hoping. I don't need the latest and greatest. I've had my eye on the AF since it was released, but if the new version drops the price of the carbon version (new or used), I might be tempted by that.

mtbr member
    "Talking to my LBS today he stated that it will have a slight geometry change to put it more in line with the AF and it will be able to use a coil. Also the colors will be a different blue and a gray. He called it a Toyota gray."

^^This info that was posted above is correct^^ I wasn't told about the coil but everything else is accurate. I saw the colors....wasn't a fan.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Soo is it coming out tomorrow or the 18th?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Soo is it coming out tomorrow or the 18th?
    Yes. It's the same day (ha, well it is for us Down Under folk)

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The 18th seems more likely than the 17th. The 17th is a federal holiday in the US, so I suspect that they wouldn't want the announcement to come out when more people than average are off doing other things.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Ah yes forgot tomorrow was Presidents Day.

mtbr member
    Ah yes forgot tomorrow was Presidents Day.
    To answer your earlier question, I didn't ask when the release date was because I wasn't interested. I just sold my Ripmo and I'm going back to a 27.5; ordering the HD5 this week.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    To answer your earlier question, I didn't ask when the release date was because I wasn't interested. I just sold my Ripmo and I'm going back to a 27.5; ordering the HD5 this week.
    No worries. I just ordered an AF on Saturday but I'm intrigued by the new Ripmo specs thus far. Why are you going back to 27.5?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    New Ripmo drops this week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Watching Awesome MTB on youtubes latest video, Mo just said Hannah is getting an E-bike and their sponsors aren't changing. So Ibis is releasing an E-bike this year for sure.

mtbr member
    Watching Awesome MTB on youtubes latest video, Mo just said Hannah is getting an E-bike and their sponsors aren't changing. So Ibis is releasing an E-bike this year for sure.
    Ebike could drop this week or April . Lol hopefully this week. .i hear 34lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Maybe,

I don't think its a big deal if its just a small tweak. If anyone wants a degree change a angleset can do that. I personally do not want a coil on a trail bike.

I still think if Ibis wants to make a 29" enduro bike they need to start from scratch and
    build a new one.

The rumoured changes seem just fine though but reading and watching reviews on comparisons of the Ripmo AF and people saying it does lose a bit of quickness and a tiny bit harder to climb I'll be very happy with my 1st Gen.

mtbr member
    Maybe,

I don't think its a big deal if its just a small tweak. If anyone wants a degree change a angleset can do that. I personally do not want a coil on a trail bike.

I still think if Ibis wants to make a 29" enduro bike they need to start from scratch and
    build a new one.

The rumoured changes seem just fine though but reading and watching reviews on comparisons of the Ripmo AF and people saying it does lose a bit of quickness and a tiny bit harder to climb I'll be very happy with my 1st Gen.
    Iím with you, if rumored change to AF geometry is the only difference, I canít see upgrading my Gen 1 Ripmo. In size XL literally the only change is 1 degree slacker HTA, and coil-friendly leverage ratio.

Curious to see how they handle the update, I.e. does current Ripmo stay in the catalog as ďRipmo TrailĒ or something? Its numbers are not out of date by any means, it was just named ďbest trail bike of 2020Ē by Enduro mag. Personally Iíd love to see a Ripmo HD added with more travel, slacker HTA, coil etc., something thatíd go toe-to-toe with a Megatower.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Maybe,

build a new one.

Agreed. Ripmo is one of the most balanced ďdo it allĒ rides. Gains could be marginal and take it a direction that might make less playful. After I demoed a bunch of bikes I realized how the Ripmo found the middle ground between Enduro slug sled and trail.

mtbr member
    I just did a big ride on my Rimpo this weekend. 25 Miles 3444 ft climbing of South Mtn chunk. Climbing steep tech on Mormon and National Trails. Did a little sessioning on waterfall on National (nailed the "big boy" line twice) and hit Ranger and multitude of switchbacks on Corona De Loma. All with climbing back up the paved road back to the top of Mtn. The bike was solid climbing, confident descending, maneuverable in switchbacks and all out great ride.

The new version may be coming out this week, but even if it is "better" I don't see how I would swap. This bike as-is is just about perfect for my needs.Any New RIPMO Rumors?-waterfall-2020-0.jpg
    Any New RIPMO Rumors?-waterfall-2020-1.jpg
    Any New RIPMO Rumors?-waterfall-2020-2.jpg
    Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I just did a big ride on my Rimpo this weekend. 25 Miles 3444 ft climbing of South Mtn chunk. Climbing steep tech on Mormon and National Trails. Did a little sessioning on waterfall on National (nailed the "big boy" line twice) and hit Ranger and multitude of switchbacks on Corona De Loma. All with climbing back up the paved road back to the top of Mtn. The bike was solid climbing, confident descending, maneuverable in switchbacks and all out great ride.

The new version may be coming out this week, but even if it is "better" I don't see how I would swap. This bike as-is is just about perfect for my needs.
    Not to derail your post, but in a timed event, how would you do on your Speci? In that instance, would you want an in-between bike, something with 120/120? Or would the Ripmo still be the best for you on this gnarly loop?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotEricHoney View Post
    Not to derail your post, but in a timed event, how would you do on your Speci? In that instance, would you want an in-between bike, something with 120/120? Or would the Ripmo still be the best for you on this gnarly loop?
    Enduro style or XC style? This loop is so chunky that nobody would race XC on it. One reason I got the Ripmo was for stuff like this. For me there is enough over lap between the Ripmo and Epic. If I wanted to do this same loop as fast as possible I would probably take the Epic. I would suffer on the tech and be slower, but make it all back up on the climbs. But that was not the point of this ride. This ride was to ride the tech and walk as little as possible.
    Joe

@moawesome
    May 2012
    We literally say in that 2 hour live stream that the Emtb's were testing are by a different brand and they are already available to the public. We also never talked about sponsorships. We also said we both are testing ebikes, not just Hannah. #fakenews

-Mo

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My biggest question now is AF with a coil and Carbon wheels with I9 hubs or the new Carbon Ripmo. Curious what tomorrow brings and build prices. Trying to decide to spend the money on carbon wheel and AL frame or Carbon frame and AL wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Ibis will not have an ebike any time soon, especially after all of the crap SC got for the Heckler. Ibis is doing fine without one and don't need to enter that market anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ToYZiLLa View Post
    Ibis will not have an ebike any time soon, especially after all of the crap SC got for the Heckler. Ibis is doing fine without one and don't need to enter that market anytime soon.
    I've been putting off reading the comments regarding SC's ebike. Bet it was worse than the usual carnage over at PB.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ToYZiLLa View Post
    *foreman blows whistle* "Shut it down boys. Our competitor's e-bike got criticized. It's over."

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by me and my bike View Post
    We literally say in that 2 hour live stream that the Emtb's were testing are by a different brand and they are already available to the public. We also never talked about sponsorships. We also said we both are testing ebikes, not just Hannah. #fakenews

-Mo
    Get 'em Mo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    love the current ripmo. other than the upper linkage creaks, it's just phenomenal. wonder what they're going to do to top it.

any word on an Ibis FS XC bike??

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by me and my bike View Post

-Mo
    For sure. I was heavily speculating lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post

any word on an Ibis FS XC bike??
    Yeah man, THATíS what I want to see! Give us a super light 100mm DW link down country rocket!

Just back for a ride on my my Ripmo, I see no need for changes for my riding TBH. Wouldnít put a coil on if I could, and it descends steep chunk fantastically.

Ride On!
    Iím with you, if rumored change to AF geometry is the only difference, I canít see upgrading my Gen 1 Ripmo. In size XL literally the only change is 1 degree slacker HTA, and coil-friendly leverage ratio.

Curious to see how they handle the update, I.e. does current Ripmo stay in the catalog as ďRipmo TrailĒ or something? Its numbers are not out of date by any means, it was just named ďbest trail bike of 2020Ē by Enduro mag. Personally Iíd love to see a Ripmo HD added with more travel, slacker HTA, coil etc., something thatíd go toe-to-toe with a Megatower.
    Cannot see the Ripmo going toe-to-toe with the Megatower, it would be a downgrade. I demoed one while in Santa Cruz. Felt sluggish, not poppy, all in all for me a dud.

mtbr member
    Cannot see the Ripmo going toe-to-toe with the Megatower, it would be a downgrade. I demoed one while in Santa Cruz. Felt sluggish, not poppy, all in all for me a dud.
    Right so theyíd keep the current Ripmo for riders like you (call it a Ripmo Trail) and the new one would be the bruiser/full on Enduro sled Ripmo HD. Like take the rear to 155 (maybe paired with the new 38 Fox is about to launch), coil compatible, slacker front end etc.

Just seems crazy theyíd drop the current Ripmo, thereís absolutely nothing wrong with it and for many itíd be preferable to a carbon AF. Ibisís usual MO is to update bikes only when they have a significant change to make, not just because X time has passed since it was introduced.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Yeah man, THATíS what I want to see! Give us a super light 100mm DW link down country rocket!

Just back for a ride on my my Ripmo, I see no need for changes for my riding TBH. Wouldnít put a coil on if I could, and it descends steep chunk fantastically.
    Thats pretty much what the Ripley is...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Right so theyíd keep the current Ripmo for riders like you (call it a Ripmo Trail) and the new one would be the bruiser/full on Enduro sled Ripmo HD. Like take the rear to 155 (maybe paired with the new 38 Fox is about to launch), coil compatible, slacker front end etc.

Just seems crazy theyíd drop the current Ripmo, thereís absolutely nothing wrong with it and for many itíd be preferable to a carbon AF. Ibisís usual MO is to update bikes only when they have a significant change to make, not just because X time has passed since it was introduced.
    The changes have been covered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What if they added a flip chip so you could have original Ripmo or AF head angle. Hopefully will find out tomorrow. Interesting no leaks like with the Ripmo, Ripley or the AF.

mtbr member
    No worries. I just ordered an AF on Saturday but I'm intrigued by the new Ripmo specs thus far. Why are you going back to 27.5?
    I'm just one of the 10%'ers that prefer 27.5 bikes on many trails. For me out west, I'll ride a 27.5 at Sedona, Hurricane, Mt Wilson and a few others. I have a 29er as well and I'm demo'ing the Ripley and Revel Rascal this week.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    maybe the new one will be 29 and 27.5+ compatible with the flip chip. 1 degree slacker but still adjustable with the chip so you could be 65* or 66*.

Well Biked
    Most of the current competition has gone slacker. Hightower and even the Tallboy in low setting. Still rides great, that's why I think they will only make a modest change.

A flip chip would be nice for this years slack, and next years...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well itís Tuesday

mtbr member
    Well itís Tuesday
    9am PST.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Itís out folks. Found on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/B8tVZA6n...=1nzo4baqdhngx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crush1nRuss1an89 View Post
    Itís out folks. Found on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/B8tVZA6n...=1nzo4baqdhngx
    Someone's not so good at embargoes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    time zone math - can be a hard for some

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Would be nice if the actual company could be the one to reveal their new bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Do not like the colors but want it anyway! 1 degree slacker is perfect. does it have other linkage too that works better for coil?

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by magnil View Post
    Do not like the colors but want it anyway! 1 degree slacker is perfect. does it have other linkage too that works better for coil?
    Guessing a ďsmidge stifferĒ means itíll be suitable for a coil. How funny they interpreted 9am PST to be 9am EST haha

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Ibis is horrible for bike pictures so I'll wait to see that blue in person. The blue/orange looks hideous on the website compared to in person.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Likely revised linkage as it is bumped to 147mm.

Any New RIPMO Rumors?-screenshot_20200218-160630.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Sooooooo..
    its basically just a carbon AF?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Those aren't the specs....

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    ^^^^Now that's interesting. ^

Was hoping for all black though (without the green).
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just when I thought I had made up my damn mind on the AF for my birthday and then this happens! Coil compatibility and same geo with the AF but more expensive.. but lighter. Or... go with the outgoing carbon model, see if there are good discounts to be had and forgo the minor improvements.... decisions decisions!!!

mtbr member
    When are these going to be available for purchase?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    new bike up on the website

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripmo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast