Any Mojo SL Owners Planning to Try Cane Creek DB Inline?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Any Mojo SL Owners Planning to Try Cane Creek DB Inline?

Debating on getting a bit more life out of the trusty SL with some Derby rims and a CC DB Inline. Then again, the temptation to switch to a Ripley and some giant wagon wheels for Austin riding is tempting...

mtbr member

Any Mojo SL Owners Planning to Try Cane Creek DB Inline?

Hey Pelly. I've been looking at that shock too. Looks sweet, and 27.5 Derby's will transform your SL. I've been running a Pushed Monarch for a couple years and it blows the anodizing off a stock RP23... The CCDB might be even better...I love the idea of having all that tuning ability.

After demo'ing a Ripley (unfortunately with skinny wheels/tube tires, long stem, and short fork option, so not really a fair comparison) I decided to stay on the tight n poppy 650b path.
    The Ripley rolled like mad, but the setup held it back on my favorite technical trails....skinny tubed tires at 32psi mounted on flexy alu rims sucks for Austin riding. only confirmed that I prefer 17" or shorter chainstays and wide & stiff wheels with low pressure tubeless tires. I think for many people the Ripley would be the perfect Austin bike with the right setup, it's definitely got both the climbing, descending, and chatter smoothing chops that the fun trails around town call for, but I've felt so "at one" with the 650b derby SL that I'm going HDR instead.
    Maybe on a future rev they'll lop another 10mm off the chainstays and revamp the cable routing and I'll circle back around for another taste of Ripley.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Pelly, you do anything with this yet? I'm adding a 29er FS rig soon, and thinking about beefing up the Mojo SL with Derby 26"s and meatier tires. I'm fairly happy with my SEx'd RP23, but curious to hear what the CCDBI can do for us. For my use, I think changing the Float 32 for a Pike would be more bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamath View Post
    Pelly, you do anything with this yet? I'm adding a 29er FS rig soon, and thinking about beefing up the Mojo SL with Derby 26"s and meatier tires. I'm fairly happy with my SEx'd RP23, but curious to hear what the CCDBI can do for us. For my use, I think changing the Float 32 for a Pike would be more bang for the buck.
    I'm so tempted to grab some 27.5" Derby rims and that CCDBI (IN STOCK at Universal Cycles no less!) and call it a day...but the 1 1/8" steerer has me pausing. If the Mojo SL supported a tapered steerer tube, I'd grab a Pike and be happy for years.

Unfortunately, non-tapered options are hard to find (no Pike) and I'm thinking the bike will depreciate faster than usual as a result.

The new 650B proto has me interested too, although trails here in Austin would surely work well with the Ripley's wagon wheels as well.

Decisions, decisions...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Damn, I hadn't looked into the steerer options on the Pike, good point. That's a shame. Suppose I could go Lefty. I'm definitely staying 26" on the SL though, it's already a tight fit with meaty tires. I'd jump on the Derby's but I don't really want 40mm (34 inner) wide, and I'm not feeling confident about the Light Bicycle offerings.

As you say, decisions...