mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Any clydes out there?

Hello all,

I just got my Mojo. I built it up, and rode for about 45 minutes before dark last night. I had a lot of pedal bob when pedaling. This bugged me.

The numbers: I am between 320 - 330 geared up. My weight is dropping, but its a long process. Its an XL Mojo with a Fox RPL. I admit, with propedal on - I didn't notice. But, I keep reading about how PP isn't really needed with the Mojo.

Any setup suggestions? I ran about 290psi. That pushing the limits of the shock for sure...

Clyde

Coil

I weight 220 to 230. I gear up another 10 lbs. In your shoes I would swap out the RPL for a coil. yes it will add a pound to your bike but is as so smooth and indestructible. It also sounds like RPL are susceptible to blowing up more than any other of the fox air shocks. Sell it before it dies.

I picked up a 2004 Fox Vanilla RC off the eBay for cheap last winter just to see what the deal was. It has become my full time shock this year. I have a RP23 that getting nothing but bench time. What I like most about the coil is it doesn't blow through the mid travel like my fox float rp23.

There are a few other coils options including Fox DHX-C, Fox Van R and Pushed Fox MX depending on your budget. Your might consider a coil up-front as well. They are the so smooth and reliable. My Mojo started at 27lbs and now has a trail weight of just under 30lbs. For me getting stronger and riding more is making me much faster than counting grams ever will.
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySomer
    coil
    Maybe so, it's hard to find coils 700# or more any more. I'm 200 plus gear and needed 180psi in an RP shock for a compliant ride with rare bottoming. If the rider weight to pressure is a linear factor, you'd need 280 - 300 psi. The shock should take it OK but wear the seals a little faster. Use enough pressure you almost never bottom out.

Clyde
    I have a 800lb coil that is going unused.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Any idea what kind of spring rate I should look for? I'm considering a coil, but don't know where to begin.

Thanks guys.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by cihlenfeldt
    Any idea what kind of spring rate I should look for? I'm considering a coil, but don't know where to begin.

Thanks guys.
    Push Industries custom tuned my Vanilla RC and recommended #500 coil with 2 turns preload for my 200 lbs on a Mojo C, which does work for me very well with minimum preload, I do use a 50# softer coil with 3 turns preload on local easier trails. It sounds like your weight on the same bike would require a 750# or 800# coil for a 2 inch stroke shock.

An air assist bottom travel coil shock would work better than my RC, to better balance the Mojo design for a rising rate air shock spring, such as Fox RC4, X-Fusion coil, or Elka Stage 5. DW recommends the RC4 for using coil on the Mojo SL and HD.

Here are a couple calculators, the second is not as precise but somewhat close and calcs 100# too firm for me, the first one is very close:
    http://www.igorion.com/_coilspring/
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the info

Proud lame eBiker
    Personally I'd send that unit to PUSH Ind. and let them work it over for your weight and style of riding right now before going down the path of coil.

Any stock shock out there is not going to be properly damped for either air pressure, or coil rate, to hold the bike up for your weight. So why get a coil, throw a huge spring on it, and it will still bob around, when you could take your existing shock and send it in and make it work to it's best ability for you?
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Personally I'd send that unit to PUSH Ind. and let them work it over for your weight and style of riding right now before going down the path of coil.

Any stock shock out there is not going to be properly damped for either air pressure, or coil rate, to hold the bike up for your weight. So why get a coil, throw a huge spring on it, and it will still bob around, when you could take your existing shock and send it in and make it work to it's best ability for you?
    Good suggestion to consult with PUSH on your air shock or if considering coil.

Clyde

Push Tuning of a Fox RL becomes a Fox R

an FYI from Push

"Due to the lack of replacement parts, with FLOAT RL and RC models we remove the lockout mechanism permanently and convert the shock to a FLOAT R model retaining external air pressure and rebound adjustments. We then install our exclusive VxRII piston with custom compression, rebound, and internal Propedal valving based on rider weight, style, and bike model."

If you are thinking of Pushing a Fox Float you might sell the RL and buy a R, RP23 or a Van RC. I would think you would be money ahead and / or end up with a more flexable shock.

I really like the Compression adjustment on the Vanilla RC which the Float shocks don't have. A pushed R or RP23 are also great choices.

Members who have read this thread: 0