Any chance of an HD5 AF?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Any chance of an HD5 AF?

I'm in the market for a coil-friendly, 140-170mm travel aluminum frame with 27.5" wheels. Pretty much a Ripmo AF version of the HD5. Any chance of that coming from Ibis in the next few months?

The alternatives seem to be a Patrol or Nomad, both or which are quite burly and not very pedal-friendly. The new Canfield Balance is another alternative but it's vaporware right now and I'm a little worried about warranty support with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    This was discussed on an HD4 thread, but the short answer is that the HD spring curve is too linear for a coil and the whole shock eyes being installed at 90 degree angles increases wear on the shock.

I know the EWS guys sometimes race on HDs with coils, but they dont have to pay to replace them all the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    This was discussed on an HD4 thread, but the short answer is that the HD spring curve is too linear for a coil and the whole shock eyes being installed at 90 degree angles increases wear on the shock.

I know the EWS guys sometimes race on HDs with coils, but they dont have to pay to replace them all the time.
    Thanks, saidrick. The same was true of the Ripmo V1 but Ibis was able to engineer the Ripmo AF to be coil-compatible, correct?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    Thanks, saidrick. The same was true of the Ripmo V1 but Ibis was able to engineer the Ripmo AF to be coil-compatible, correct?
    Correct. V2 carbon as well.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    I'm in the market for a coil-friendly, 140-170mm travel aluminum frame with 27.5" wheels. Pretty much a Ripmo AF version of the HD5. Any chance of that coming from Ibis in the next few months?

The alternatives seem to be a Patrol or Nomad, both or which are quite burly and not very pedal-friendly. The new Canfield Balance is another alternative but it's vaporware right now and I'm a little worried about warranty support with it.
    Take a look at the Banshee Rune V3 too