mtbr member
    Aug 2004

650b front on Mojo SL - first ride report (and running into IBIS employees)

First, I always love bumping into the owners of the company whose product I'm riding on the same trail I chose to ride yesterday...makes me feel like the bike is designed *exactly* for my riding.

I'm on a SL now...had the original Mojo prior (came off of VPP bikes, mostly, in recent years...even have a circa '98 Szazbo that I'm keeping for kicks and giggles).

Info on my build here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...77558#poststop

I just ordered a 650b front wheel...Dave Thomas at Speeddream built it...Stan's ZTR rim on King hub, 32h...and used a Pacenti Neo-Moto tire. I'm running a Fox Float 130XTT (the 'terralogic' type fork from 2006).

I liked the bike with 26" front wheel and the 130...so I like it a little snappier than most olks riding Mojo's (who lean toward 140-150mm forks with taller A-to-C's). I figured that with the 130 and the 650b wheel, I'd end up a little slacker than where I was riding it...but in line with where a lot of folks are.

And from a fit perspective: yes, I know that Fox does not want us riding 650b's on their 26" forks...but I took all the air out of mine and there was no interference between tire and crown or arch.

So I got a couple hours in at the 'Saratoga Gap' trail (santa cruz mountains) yesterday morning (great trail, great, day)...and was super impressed with the wheel size, the tire tread pattern (I usually only use conti vertical pro's...which I still have on the rear), and the handling of the bike.
    I have tried 29ers but didn't care for them. I'm a medium size person...found the 29er to be a little overkill (the slow handling was a bigger negative than the positive impact of smoother rolling).

Unlike the 29er, I felt like the 650b kept a reasonable snappiness to it but was noticeable smoother over chatter bumps and big holes. It was actually a little weird rolling over something with the 650b front and then getting kind of 'hung up' on the same obstacle with the 26" rear. So I'm already wondering how it would ride with 650b front AND rear.

the front wheel in 650b weighed about 50g more than the same wheel in 26" (also built by Dave). the tire added 125g (730g vs. 605g for a 2.3 vertical pro with protection sidewall)...so about .4lbs overall..totally worth it so far.

Next change is to get back to a fox rear shock (already on order)...the DT Swiss isn't cutting it for me.

peace and waterproof grease.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup
    I just ordered a 650b front wheel...Dave Thomas at Speeddream built it...Stan's ZTR rim on King hub, 32h...and used a Pacenti Neo-Moto tire. I'm running a Fox Float 130XTT (the 'terralogic' type fork from 2006).

the front wheel in 650b weighed about 50g more than the same wheel in 26" (also built by Dave). the tire added 125g (730g vs. 605g for a 2.3 vertical pro with protection sidewall)...so about .4lbs overall..totally worth it so far.

Next change is to get back to a fox rear shock (already on order)...the DT Swiss isn't cutting it for me.

peace and waterproof grease.
    what made you decide to go with a Pacenti tire for the 650b?

those weights are kind of heavy...are they UST tires?

mx

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

pacenti tire choice

I chose it based on reviews I've seen and based on Pacenti's reputation.

it's not UST. but it is a meaty '2.3'...and it's bigger around than 26 tires. it rolls very fast for a big tire...I'm very pleased with it. if I did a 650b rear, I'd use a smaller tire...maybe the 2.1 version Pacenti just came out with. right now though, I think I'm digging the 650b front / 26 rear setup.

Members who have read this thread: 0