2021 Predictions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2021 Predictions

Probably ahead of myself here but what would you guys like to see in 2021?

I'm sure the Ripmo V2 isn't going to change much if at all.

Does anyone know when Ibis starts releasing 2021 info?

screamer
    I hesitate to call this a ďpredictionĒ since itís so unclear whether economies and supply chains will recover in the near future... but ... Ibis has made noises about increasing their in-house carbon fab and hinted at development of an XC bike. So: US-made 100mm XC frame, geared towards the new 120mm RS SID. Bonus points: 67 deg HA, low 5lb frame weight, clearance for the upcoming Maxxis 2.4 XC tires, second bottle mount under the DT, cable routing for shock lockout option. TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

mtbr member
    haha now that'd be awesome. I drool over a light weight xc bike over dh bikes.

I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on a Hakka MX but just wondering if I should wait a few more months for the 2021s. I'm in no rush.

I feel like Ibis' lineup is so good right now.

mtbr member
    It's been discussed elsewhere, but I'm curious about what they will do with the M3. My guesses, in order of likeliness:

1) Tweak the geometry to make it more up to date, but otherwise maintain the spirit of the current bike.
    2) Morph it into the aggressive XC bike that has been missing from their line up (see post above).
    3) Make it a dedicated mullet bike. Not likely, but I'd kinda like to see how they'd interpret a bike like this.

What I hope the DON'T do:
    * Retire it.
    * Make it an ebike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My best guess is that itís an in-house XC-ish bike. Maybe a return of the Mojo sl ? With an option for two wheel sizes, similar to the Hakka or maybe even Guerrilla Gravity style with an interchangeable rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Its funny, I have been thinking about this over the last few weeks (up in the middle of the night with a newborn!) and I think there are a few other things at play that are influencing new models and future plans...
    I am sure they are at least prototyping an e-bike, they would have to be at least exploring it...while I don't necessarily agree with santa cruz that 50% of sales will be electrified in the coming years, I think the current context necessitates at least looking into something that is getting more and more people, the world over onto mountain bikes that haven't tried them before (they are massive in Europe and beyond). Particularly a company that has the ability to create their own carbon moulds and even manufacture carbon in house - which leads me to my next point:
    One of the biggest manufacturing impacts of the COVID experience is proving to be how complicated, intertwined and even fragile global supply chains are. As well as being sensitive to trade impacts and political tariffs something like a virus can massively disrupt the building of bicycles - particularly when the largest part of the carbon manufacturing is done overseas. Ibis are in a unique position in being able to work around that, and that, I think, will produce bikes that are made stateside - perhaps at a premium (that people will be willing to pay)
    And the final, and perhaps most important observation I have is that the very nature of the bicycle is changing significantly the world over. Where I live (we are not in a lockdown, rather a social distancing phase) the surge in bicycle sales has been massive - whether for fitness, recreation or transportation. At times over the last months even our busy arterial roads have had more bikes on them than cars, and the local stores can't keep them in stock (I realise this is post 'shelter in place' but it is a point, hopefully, we will all get to)
    The bicycle has moved, particularly in the western and developing world (developing countries have known this for years), to much more of an essential piece of transport. Let's face it, public transport, at least as we know it now, is over for the foreseeable future and so it would seem there is an opportunity for bicycles and not just cars, to fill that void.
    Every experience I have had with Ibis as a company, both personally and socially, have shown them to be an ethical and contributing company - and so I am sure they are having conversations about what they can do in the post covid climate, not just as a company and an employer of people, but also as part of a solutions, human centred design approach moving forward.
    As a result I could see the following bikes in the short to medium term:
    - An E-MTB, probably something like a 'Ripmoto' that would appeal to the MTB crowd. They may even leverage their previous skills around flexibility and versatility (think limbo chips and the tranny) to produce a bike with a removable battery and motor
    - An eHakka that has its focus on being a commuter for many as well as the capability for those longer gravel rides
    - An 'urban' focused ibis - think something like the evil 'chamois davis jr' something fun and appropriately 'ibified' for the masses, could also have an e-version down the track
    - A manufactured in house, short travel 'mojo 4' that takes advantage of their carbon skills but without being too complicated (and wouldn't require as much of a inventory like the hugely popular ripley and ripmo series)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    - An E-MTB, probably something like a 'Ripmoto' that would appeal to the MTB crowd.
    I want them to do this, but call it the RipME.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    F#ck E-bikes. I hope to God Ibis does not go that route. There are increasing trail conflicts with E-bikes where I live. I'd like to see a revision to the M3 with a modern geometry tweak. I'm currently riding a HD4, which I love, but would strongly consider the M4 as my next bike. I agree, the current Ibis lineup is outstanding.

mtbr member
    I can see myself buying a DH E bike and I know I will at sometime in the future. They are just way too much fun. I would never buy an E bike in the road/gravel/xc/enduro category. That's a sin.

Something like the Spesh Kenevo would be killer but I'm going to wait off a few more years for the tech and battery life to get better.

In the mean time I'm going to build up a Hakka instead of a light weight hardtail. It'll serve a dual purpose. Stoked!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Murdered out AF? Please!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    New Ripley Colors? had a black one, looking at blue one....but will wait a few months to see if something fun pops up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherk View Post
    F#ck E-bikes. I hope to God Ibis does not go that route. There are increasing trail conflicts with E-bikes where I live. I'd like to see a revision to the M3 with a modern geometry tweak. I'm currently riding a HD4, which I love, but would strongly consider the M4 as my next bike. I agree, the current Ibis lineup is outstanding.
    The reality is, most non bike riders would not recognize an ebike at the trail head or if it passed while hiking on the trail. They will not see a roost of dirt spitting up from the rear tire like some envision.

The premise: It is the bikers that are mostly raising cane about it. Arguing and whining about ebikes will cause our own demise. Yes, there is different classes of ebikes but I am referring to the similar ones to the Santa Cruz Heckler.

Full disclosure: I do not ride one nor own one but would gladly try one as I am out riding for fun and nothing more.

I have to wonder if SS rigid riders look down at people riding FS bikes with the latest tech?
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I would like to see new colors on the Ripley and Grip 2 on the F34.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I have to wonder if SS rigid riders look down at people riding FS bikes with the latest tech?[/QUOTE]

It goes without saying that SS riders look down their noses at riders on full suspension bikes. But just imagine what the SS riders think of the people riding the full suspension E-bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have to wonder if SS rigid riders look down at people riding FS bikes with the latest tech?
    It goes without saying that SS riders look down their noses at riders on full suspension bikes. But just imagine what the SS riders think of the people riding the full suspension E-bikes.[/QUOTE]

They group them the same

mtbr member
    It goes without saying that SS riders look down their noses at riders on full suspension bikes. But just imagine what the SS riders think of the people riding the full suspension E-bikes.[/QUOTE]

I ride SS and don't look at a FS any differently.

Add a motor, then yes I do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    It goes without saying that SS riders look down their noses at riders on full suspension bikes. But just imagine what the SS riders think of the people riding the full suspension E-bikes.
    I ride SS and don't look at a FS any differently.

Add a motor, then yes I do. [/QUOTE]

Your not hardcore enough....or your bikecurrious

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    A Ripley AF please...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Trailboy View Post
    A Ripley AF please...
    THat'd be interesting but I don't see that happeneing. People who buy trail bikes seem to be more concerned with weight than price but you never know.

When are the 2021 Ibis' shown to the public?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    A Ripley AF please...
    Pretty sure this is happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

2021 Predictions

Could image new / updated DV9, Ripley AF and something with Motor.

XS FS sub 2kg seems out of reach.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    A Ripley AF please...
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    Pretty sure this is happening.
    This is the bike I would be most interested in.

I have been "this close" to ordering a Ripmo AF NX build for months. The biggest thing stopping me has been that it seems like much more bike than I actually need. With the upcoming price bump, a step toward even more enduro focus for 2021 (Onyx vs Diamond) and current supply issues the likelihood of a Ripmo AF in my future has become pretty slim.

I think a Ripley AF hitting that magic $3k price point would appeal to a lot of riders. Especially newer riders who aren't hitting the kind of big stuff you'd expect a Ripmo rider to attempt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How much more is the AF going up in price?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    How much more is the AF going up in price?
    From the link to the b2b site that I saw it looks like about a $200 increase for a base model build with Deore drivetrain and Onyx fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Any indications of new frame colors?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
    From the link to the b2b site that I saw it looks like about a $200 increase for a base model build with Deore drivetrain and Onyx fork.
    Hopefully DVO can assemble the Onyx better than they did the Diamond - well Suntour or whoever actually manufacturers their forks.
    Ripmo V1

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Maybe a Hakka with more rear tire clearance since existing 40mm is a bit narrow by today's standards. I also don't get the 31.6 seatpost. I know you can then run dropper but how many really do that and at the cost of making the bike ride pretty harsh.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Iíd hope for the tiny obvious things first. Give us a ribbed chainstay protector and accessory mounts under the top tube. A removable shuttle pad maybe. For specific bikes, a Ripley AF. Foam cables sleeves for the alloy bikes. Toss a dissector/rekon, 30mm wheels, and a pike on that Ripley. Oh, and make a few models in the US!
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    If we're taking general wishlist, I'd love to see Ibis embrace the trend of making rear center increase with sizes. I know there was a time when everyone was trying to make chain stays as short as possible on 29ers, but on bigger sizes they compromise stability and handling (I'm 6'3"). Norco has varied rear center for years, lots of smaller brands do it (Forbidden, Raaw) and Santa Cruz just dropped the new 5010 with this feature. Hoping this is the new normal, and it just makes sense.

If we're talking bikes, bring on a Ripmost (170mm 29er) and a Riplet (XC race 29er). But FFS don't name them that, Ripmo is already one of the dumber names out there! Saying this as someone who owned and loved one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XterraMike View Post
    Maybe a Hakka with more rear tire clearance since existing 40mm is a bit narrow by today's standards. I also don't get the 31.6 seatpost. I know you can then run dropper but how many really do that and at the cost of making the bike ride pretty harsh.
    This. All I have heard is how harsh and stiff the bike is and it has very high standover for a bike you often needs to jump off and on when riding backroads. I'd like a more sloping top-tube for more stand over clearance & 27.2 post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Iíd hope for the tiny obvious things first. Give us a ribbed chainstay protector and accessory mounts under the top tube. A removable shuttle pad maybe. For specific bikes, a Ripley AF. Foam cables sleeves for the alloy bikes. Toss a dissector/rekon, 30mm wheels, and a pike on that Ripley. Oh, and make a few models in the US!
    Yes! Please make the "ribbed chainstay protector" available to those with a new Ripley, Ripmo, Mojo, etc... So we can install it on our current bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    If we're taking general wishlist, I'd love to see Ibis embrace the trend of making rear center increase with sizes. I know there was a time when everyone was trying to make chain stays as short as possible on 29ers, but on bigger sizes they compromise stability and handling (I'm 6'3"). Norco has varied rear center for years, lots of smaller brands do it (Forbidden, Raaw) and Santa Cruz just dropped the new 5010 with this feature. Hoping this is the new normal, and it just makes sense.

If we're talking bikes, bring on a Ripmost (170mm 29er) and a Riplet (XC race 29er). But FFS don't name them that, Ripmo is already one of the dumber names out there! Saying this as someone who owned and loved one.
    How bout "Ripmost" and "Ripleast"?
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I reckon they'll have to get into the E-Bike game - certainly now that SC has released the Heckler, there will be more people wanting a "boutique" E-Bike that isn't SC. It's a big market segment and although there will be plenty of angst and heartbreak in the US, everywhere else they'll be received well, including down here in Aus.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    I reckon they'll have to get into the E-Bike game - certainly now that SC has released the Heckler, there will be more people wanting a "boutique" E-Bike that isn't SC. It's a big market segment and although there will be plenty of angst and heartbreak in the US, everywhere else they'll be received well, including down here in Aus.
    I'm going on 48. My 40s have been rough between major surgery on my ticker and decomposing knees, shoulders and feet...I'm giving up major ground on my performances from just 3-4 years ago. If an e-bike lets me ride the same distance as I do now and use the power when I need it....I'm all for it. Maybe it needs to be available to only people over 45 so the young bucks who use them irresponsibly can't get their hands on them. I love to ride gravel and an e-gravel bikes makes total sense. It would turn a 25mi ride into a 40+mi ride for same effort. Sometimes its about exploring and getting out not pushing for PRs and KOMs....but I like those too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Loam Ranger has posted a blurred out bike on his Insta story. Looks like a DH bike, canít see Ibis making one but stranger things have happened. Unless itís a modded HD5!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    I'm going on 48. My 40s have been rough between major surgery on my ticker and decomposing knees, shoulders and feet...I'm giving up major ground on my performances from just 3-4 years ago. If an e-bike lets me ride the same distance as I do now and use the power when I need it....I'm all for it. Maybe it needs to be available to only people over 45 so the young bucks who use them irresponsibly can't get their hands on them. I love to ride gravel and an e-gravel bikes makes total sense. It would turn a 25mi ride into a 40+mi ride for same effort. Sometimes its about exploring and getting out not pushing for PRs and KOMs....but I like those too.
    I think anyone 60 or over should be able to ride one anywhere, anytime. Except for Ned Overend...
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Whatís the chance that you will be able to get DVO on the carbon Ripmo next year?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    No one guessed DH bike

2021 Predictions-screen-shot-2020-06-29-1.41.27-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    @shiny did a couple of posts ago

Still, I'm interested... Not that I ride my DH bike much these days, the Ripmo with -2 is just so damn capable, but it would be a great excuse! I've had eyes on the recent Phoenix as it really is pure sex, but I reckon Ibis might be able to give them a run for their money.

I wonder if this is coming from Robin's DH background and perhaps wanting to have a crack at some DH races, or move to DH full time?

/Edited to add:
    Hmmm, what if it's a Carbon, Full LT E-Bike, along the Kenovo lines? The Loam Ranger's insta story the other day had the blurred out shot at the top of a chairlift, the perfect obfuscation! Unlikely I know, but I do have it on fairly good rumour that E is definitely happening. Why not combine the two!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    No one guessed DH bike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 1.41.27 pm.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	1345059
    That "appears" to be a MRP Bartlett fork, in which case it wouldn't be a DH bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    I think anyone 60 or over should be able to ride one anywhere, anytime. Except for Ned Overend...
    I rode a 50mi 6000ft vert gravel race with him years ago. Kicked 99% of the field's ass. Crazy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Interesting. Not a new bike per say, but a beefed up HD5:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCCQ02FnyIG/

And here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKcpruXGtuM

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Predictions-loam-ranger.jpg  

2021 Predictions-loam-ranger2.jpg  

2021 Predictions-loam-ranger3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    @shiny did a couple of posts ago
    He picked it too

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    He picked it too
    Ha! Yeah, the more I thought about it a DH bike doesnít fit Ibisí MO of a versatility. Still a cool build though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I wish Ibis would produce an XC specific frame to compete directly with the Pivot Mach 4SL. Both would have DW Link and I think it would be nice for XC riders to have more choices if they like DW Link. They could also make a 'trail version' with a larger fork just like Pivot, Santa Cruz and Specialized do with their XC bikes. I think this would be better than the suggestion of putting a shorter travel fork on the Ripley. I have a friend who did this and he quickly put a longer travel fork back on his Ripley for a variety of reasons.

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by hour9 View Post
    I wish Ibis would produce an XC specific frame to compete directly with the Pivot Mach 4SL.
    ... And Transition Spur, Revel Ranger, Yeti 115, Spot Ryve, Stumpy Epic EVO, SC Blur, Intense Snyper, etc.... With competitors' releases over the past week or so, lots of companies seem to be betting big on this category. Seems like a no-brainer, Ibis!

mtbr member
    I agree. People on this forum have been expressing interest in an xc/marathon bike from ibis for a couple of years. This breed of bike would still fit within the typical ibis style of design, which is generally to offer a well riding all rounder with a leaning towards one part of the spectrum. There is a hole between the DV9 and the Ripley that this offering would fill.