2019 Ibis Ripley V4 - Page 6- Mtbr.com
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,200 of 1210
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    There are a dizzying array of tire options today even within the same tire. I'm running the Rekon 2.6 in Maxx Terra EXO+...gripped well. Amusingly that is not the compound option I ordered online so even retailers can't keep them straight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

First parts have arrived

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    My frame arrived today. Iíve got to say that I am very impressed so far, this thing looks fantastic!

My intended build has changed a little bit, Iíll update as I go...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    My frame arrived today. Iíve got to say that I am very impressed so far, this thing looks fantastic!

My intended build has changed a little bit, Iíll update as I go...

Black frame and the kashima is so sexy.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone running a rear 2.35 forekaster on the 942's? I currently have 2.6's with an XR4 front and XR2 rear. Needing more bite in the rear, better loose over hard traction, and better downhill braking assist.

Probably will stick with the XR4 for the time being in the front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bremmick View Post
    Black frame and the kashima is so sexy.
    It is! I have a conundrum regarding this actually. I have an orange Fox 34 SC 120mm on my Waltworks, the frame was designed around this fork, however Iím using 3.0 tyres and theyíre tight.

I ordered a Pike Ultimate 130mm for the Ibis, Iím going to run 2.6 Bontrager tyres on this bike so clearance isnít an issue.

Iím wondering if I should just run the 34 on the Ibis and the Pike on the Waltworks as it shouldnít be too far away in terms of geometry and the tyre clearance issues will be eradicated. Probably a no brainier really.

mtbr member
    Decided to go with the Matte Slate Chris King headset as although Iíve seen Ripleys with the Matte Mango and Mango finish and they looked great, I figured the slate would be a bit different. Iím glad I did it as the colour matches the grey on my frame perfectly!

Got a few One Up parts together too, Iím waiting on their V2 dropper post to be available so Iíll use the V1 I have here for now...

Hereís the aforementioned Fox 34 SC still on my Waltworks...

I have a full XTR group set with brakes waiting to go on this build. I was having a hard time between XTR and AXS but I got the XTR for an absolute steal.

I need to order some tyres up along with a new saddle...

I have the S35 I9 wheels on order but I might end up building some XTR/DT Swiss wheels up instead because I want this thing ready to ride ASAP.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    So Shimano debuted their 12sp XT and SLX kits using the Ripley as the demo bike and Ibis followed up with an IG post asking (marketing?) if they should offer factory builds with them. Has anyone heard any rumors or news about when XT or SLX builds might be offered?

I have an Aug ETA for my bike and I'm hoping that XT and Hydra hubs are options by then because I might have to hold off until they are otherwise.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Decided to go with the Matte Slate Chris King headset as although Iíve seen Ripleys with the Matte Mango and Mango finish and they looked great, I figured the slate would be a bit different. Iím glad I did it as the colour matches the grey on my frame perfectly!

Got a few One Up parts together too, Iím waiting on their V2 dropper post to be available so Iíll use the V1 I have here for now...

Hereís the aforementioned Fox 34 SC still on my Waltworks...

I have a full XTR group set with brakes waiting to go on this build. I was having a hard time between XTR and AXS but I got the XTR for an absolute steal.

I need to order some tyres up along with a new saddle...

I have the S35 I9 wheels on order but I might end up building some XTR/DT Swiss wheels up instead because I want this thing ready to ride ASAP.
    Parts look sweet. Can you DM me where you found XTR for a steal ? Went AXS on this build but tempted to go XTR on my bigger bike. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Please enlighten to where XTR can be had for a steal!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by WildeSuchtelei View Post

First parts have arrived

What stem is that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Thank you! And yeah, 1oz front and 1.5oz rear Orange Seal Endurance. I don't want to derail this thread all way into the weight weenie world, but, the OCD in me says let's break it down.

Your wheelset and handlebars should be around the same weight, drivetrain is same, and your brakes (~90-100g) and fork (~110g since I'm running a Kabolt axle) are a hair lighter than mine. But, a few things I noticed about your build which are heavier than mine:

Front tire - 20g
    Chainring - 15g
    Stem - 87g heavier (Atlas 35 50mm is 159g, my Wren is 72g)
    Saddle - 32g (192g vs 160g)

So that's a difference of around 150g, which should be offset by your brakes and fork, and then some. I'm also using lightweight tubeless valves (7g for the pair) and carbon stem spacers + top cap with a Ti bolt (6g for the top cap and bolt combined) which could make up the extra difference.

So yeah, unless some of your parts are heavier than advertised (very common with tires, although Bontragers seem to be very close to published weights), I've got no answers. But, at least you now know where you can save a little more weight.

77designz is coming out with a really nice 35mm 1-piece stem soon which will be available in 45mm length and weigh only 82g. That alone will save you 77g / almost 3oz and allow you to stick with those awesome Next 35mm bars.
    Did you get the same black frame? Paint on these frames probably weighs 1/4-1/2 a pound.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2019 Ibis Ripley V4

What stem is that?
    Tune Wunderbar + Tune Geiles StŁck GT35

208g / 800mm handlebar

118g / 30mm Stem

mtbr member
    In regard to the XTR, sometimes itís not what you know but who you know!

mtbr member
    ^any idea what those tires actually measure on a 30mm rim? Last time I used a 2.35 Forekaster it ran extremely narrow so I'm wondering if they've changed anything.
    You know, I've been meaning to pick up a digital caliper so I can measure stuff like this. I just ordered one and it'll be here tomorrow. I'll post the measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by billb0872 View Post
    Awesome feedback, thanks. That was very similar to what happened to me on the Nobby Nic. Out of nowhere, on a nothing off-camber rock (dry) the thing just slid out. I scraped up both my leg and bike pretty good. I have hit that rock hundreds of times in all weather conditions, but never on Nobby Nics.

How long have you been running that forecaster out back? How was it out front when you tried it there?
    When I was running a Forekaster in front it was the 2.6 version with a 2.6 Rekon in the back. I really had no complaints about the 2.6 Forekaster as a front tire. It's probably a decent option if you are trying to decrease rolling resistance.

Now I'm running a 2.3 DHR in front with a 2.35 Forekaster out back. I've only had this combo on for a handful of rides so far, but I rode the same exact corner where I slid out with the Rekon and had no problems. The Forekaster in the back isn't going to grip like an Aggressor, but it's a lot lighter and rolls better. I could maybe see myself changing to something a little grippier in the dead of summer when the trails get really dusty and loose.

This combo is a recommendation from MTB yumyum and it seems to be working well for me so far (we ride the same trails).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What is becoming evident to me is that the new breed of trail bike is outpacing the trail tires ability to keep up. The better these bikes become, the bigger the gap. I think I am sticking with my DHF/Aggressor combo until I hear more from you all about your experiences (beyond initial impressions).

gravity curmudgeon
    Love seeing the new builds showing up!

My Ripley from today's ride.
    2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_0505.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by drolling View Post
    Did you get the same black frame? Paint on these frames probably weighs 1/4-1/2 a pound.
    Yup mine is a black frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
    Love seeing the new builds showing up!

My Ripley from today's ride.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	536.8 KB 
ID:	1255665
    Now that looks idyllic!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Pic of mine from a recent ride in Tallahassee.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Pic of mine from a recent ride in Tallahassee.

CanĎt see.

mtbr member
    I seem to remember someone on here mentioning the kidney type frame bags. Well Iíve had this Blackburn bag for a while now, never had a frame that it would work with but I thought Iíd hold it up to the frame to see if it would...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    ^ I have that same bag from when I had my Ripmo. Works very well for both the Ripmo and this bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    CanĎt see.

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_1581.jpg

mtbr member
    ^ I have that same bag from when I had my Ripmo. Works very well for both the Ripmo and this bike.
    Finally I have a use for it! Well once I tape the parts of the frame that will touch it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I seem to remember someone on here mentioning the kidney type frame bags. Well Iíve had this Blackburn bag for a while now, never had a frame that it would work with but I thought Iíd hold it up to the frame to see if it would...

Nice thing about the frames all being similar- I bought the Alpine Designs one for my Mojo3, it was on my Ripley OG V2 and now on the V4 as well.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    For anybody thinking about running a McLeod on their Ripley, Universal Cycles has them back in stock in 190x45, and if you sign up for their newsletter they have a 15% off code in there.

mtbr member
    You have the model name of the bag or a link to it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eysikal View Post
    You have the model name of the bag or a link to it?
    https://www.blackburndesign.com/en/p/outpost-corner-bag

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    For anybody thinking about running a McLeod on their Ripley, Universal Cycles has them back in stock in 190x45, and if you sign up for their newsletter they have a 15% off code in there.
    Do you know what hardware is needed to mount it to our frames, and what's involved in installing it (is a press or any other special tool needed)?

mtbr member
    Do you know what hardware is needed to mount it to our frames, and what's involved in installing it (is a press or any other special tool needed)?
    Can't say for sure yet since my frame is still weeks out. Shock bushing tools are cheap and simple. On the clevis end I don't expect to need anything, at the front it will depend on if the Fox hardware bits are a good fit on the McLeod which is not a sure thing. Otherwise it may need different spacers and/or bushing or something. I often run polymer bushings instead of stock bushings anyway and I have a pretty good stock of various shock hardware so I'm not worried about making it work, but that doesn't help you does it?
    Aren't you in Florida/near Tampa? If you give it a go and have any trouble hit me up.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Xl

OK here is mine, just finished the build and hope to ride this weekend pending rain. The bike is a mix of some old and new parts...

XL frame, Pike RCT3 140, SLX brakes, XT 11sp shifter, SLX cranks, Rear DT 471/Hope wheel, Front WTB/Hope 25mm rims and 2.4 Rekons, Bikeyoke 185 dropper, chromag bars, 50mm Salsa stem, Time atac pedals.

I am 6'1" with long inseam. The seat is high relative to the bars even with an inch of spacers under the stem. Its an old Pike and will be upgraded soon where I will have more steerer tube to raise the stack up some more. another .75" will be perfect.

Weight? helluva lot lighter than my GG Smash
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis Ripley V4-small-1.jpg  

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-small-2.jpg  

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-small-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The shock info for the Ripley from Ibis was:

ē Upper: 25mm wide with an 8mm bore
    ē Lower: 15mm wide with an 8mm bore
    ē 190mm eye to eye
    ē 45mm shaft travel

I use this inexpensive tool:

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/produc...k-bushing-tool

- Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I appreciate that. I am in FL but Iím on the east coast.

Can't say for sure yet since my frame is still weeks out. Shock bushing tools are cheap and simple. On the clevis end I don't expect to need anything, at the front it will depend on if the Fox hardware bits are a good fit on the McLeod which is not a sure thing. Otherwise it may need different spacers and/or bushing or something. I often run polymer bushings instead of stock bushings anyway and I have a pretty good stock of various shock hardware so I'm not worried about making it work, but that doesn't help you does it?
    Aren't you in Florida/near Tampa? If you give it a go and have any trouble hit me up.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I will be interested in feedback and comparisons when folks get the manitou shock installed could it pair better with a pike ultimate or fox 34 factory? Better with 130 or 140 front fork? Etc.

mtbr member

Ripley V4 Medium

Here is my medium Ripley. Waited one month for the frame.

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-ripleyv4-resize.jpg2019 Ibis Ripley V4-ripleyv4-weight-resize.jpg

mtbr member
    I appreciate that. I am in FL but Iím on the east coast.
    OK, cool. Maybe we'll cross paths some time. If you make it to Boyette or Alafia much, we are out there most weekends. I'll be on a large black Ripley with a McLeod some time after mid-July.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    OK here is mine, just finished the build and hope to ride this weekend pending rain. The bike is a mix of some old and new parts...

XL frame, Pike RCT3 140, SLX brakes, XT 11sp shifter, SLX cranks, Rear DT 471/Hope wheel, Front WTB/Hope 25mm rims and 2.4 Rekons, Bikeyoke 185 dropper, chromag bars, 50mm Salsa stem, Time atac pedals.

I am 6'1" with long inseam. The seat is high relative to the bars even with an inch of spacers under the stem. Its an old Pike and will be upgraded soon where I will have more steerer tube to raise the stack up some more. another .75" will be perfect.

Weight? helluva lot lighter than my GG Smash
    Interested in knowing your saddle height and distance from back of saddle to mid handle bar at the stem :-)

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    OK, cool. Maybe we'll cross paths some time. If you make it to Boyette or Alafia much, we are out there most weekends. I'll be on a large black Ripley with a McLeod some time after mid-July.
    Sounds good, I'm always down to go ride Boyette, assuming Ridgeline is open. Although in the hotter months, making a trip over there almost has to be an overnight thing in order to get up and ride super early to beat the heat. We may come over for a Friday night Rays game and ride early Saturday...I'll shoot you a PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Those are my home trails. We should get together and ride sometime. I'm also out there every weekend.

Do you have a lot of experience with the Manitou forks and shocks? People love their product and I've been wanting to feel the difference in person to see what everyone is talking about. I'm just concerned because a lot of stuff that makes huge difference for true mountain riding (extended climbing then extended descents) does not help us much here.

mtbr member
    Sounds good, I'm always down to go ride Boyette, assuming Ridgeline is open. Although in the hotter months, making a trip over there almost has to be an overnight thing in order to get up and ride super early to beat the heat. We may come over for a Friday night Rays game and ride early Saturday...I'll shoot you a PM.
    Just yesterday they closed Ridgeline for the season with the much needed and also dreaded rain we are getting. It's just too hard to maintain once it starts getting consistent rain. I'll probably have plenty of time to get used to the Ripley before getting a run at Ridgeline on it. Fortunately most of the rest of Boyette and Alafia hold up well to the rainy season, Ridgeline is a special case. But yeah I'll let you know when I get my Ripley going and we'll meet up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorXman View Post
    Those are my home trails. We should get together and ride sometime. I'm also out there every weekend.

Do you have a lot of experience with the Manitou forks and shocks? People love their product and I've been wanting to feel the difference in person to see what everyone is talking about. I'm just concerned because a lot of stuff that makes huge difference for true mountain riding (extended climbing then extended descents) does not help us much here.
    We'll have to do that. My Ripley arrives in mid July, currently riding a v1 Smuggler. I have had a McLeod on the Smuggler for a while now and I'm very happy with it. I haven't needed to go any deeper than the air can, it's pretty simple to work on but it is unique how the negative chamber works. Actually that is simple too and if you do a somewhat regular air can service it is taken care of automatically. Basically it doesn't have an equalization dimple so the air is captured during installation and is only somewhat adjustable with heat or cold during install. Fortunately it doesn't seem to need to be adjustable, and there is no problem with a dead spot at sag point or any trouble getting the right amount like some other shocks have with the dimple design. I run the standard air can but they offer the KingCan as an option. I think the McLeod will be well suited for the Ripley, and I'm not much of a fan of stock Fox stuff anyway.

I haven't messed much with any modern Manitou forks, they never seem to have quite the version I need. I run Fox 34 as a chassis and play with mods, I have an Avy cart and NeoPos in my current 34. Running something similar on the Ripley, maybe move the Avy cart over, and I'm going to try a Luftkappe in it with the NeoPos. I also might put a Vorsprung Fractive kit in one of the spare FIT4 carts for comparison.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New

I've finally replaced my 2015 Kona Process 134 with this new GX Fox Factory build Ripley with Ibis carbon bars and S35 Carbon Logo wheels. It has the 140mm Fox Factory fork and Factory Fox shock. No rides yet, but super stoked to go this afternoon. 5'11.5" w/ 33 inseam and the large seems perfect. Came with a 50mm stem, and the Ibis Hi-Fi (20mm rise) bars. Might go with a 60mm stem, but will wait until I get more familiar with the bike. Final decision was between this and the Ripmo, and I wanted the more agile bike of the two since I enjoy tech climbs as much as the descents. I live in Seattle area and mostly ride Grand Ridge, Henry's, Duthie and occasionally Tiger. I'll provide further feedback after a few rides.

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-20190606_151246.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by holt.soeren View Post
    Interested in knowing your saddle height and distance from back of saddle to mid handle bar at the stem :-)

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk
    I am measuring 32.5 inches from back of saddle to center of bars. Note the tape is sloping downward from the seat to the bars for this measurement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone running the Ripley in xc race mode? Maybe 120/120? Iím between the Ripley v4 since I have the v1 and the new top fuel and the Scott spark rc, thoughts? The spark rc can be built under 23 lbs in near stock the top fuel is a bit more trail-y and heavier

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    Anyone running the Ripley in xc race mode? Maybe 120/120? Iím between the Ripley v4 since I have the v1 and the new top fuel and the Scott spark rc, thoughts? The spark rc can be built under 23 lbs in near stock the top fuel is a bit more trail-y and heavier
    You own a V1, Spark RC, and a new Top Fuel? Why are you looking at this bike? Lol

mtbr member
    Iíll be running with a 120mm 34SC but also with 2.6Ē tyres for some extra cush.

mtbr member
    2019 Ibis Ripley V4-51896f6c-c8e4-4aa5-8a06-3d10902605cb.jpg

Will be testing this Ripley demo against my Ripmo tomorrow. Iíve been pretty happy with the Ripmo but I do enough climbing that I might want something more efficient.

Any tips besides setting up the sag/rebound according to Ibisís recommendations? I weigh 185.

Edit: actually Ibis has not yet put out an updated guide with rebound settings, so I guess Iím kind of in the dark.
    Last edited by eysikal; 1 Week Ago at 09:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by burkut View Post
    I too am curious about the rubber plugs you have on the cable ports. Ibis, AXS, sourced separately?
    I picked up some Problem Solvers Bubs - available at most online bike shops - and they fit the holes perfectly but they don't stay seated. I need some kind of glue to keep them in place. Anyone have any recommendations for something that can be removed later if I want to run cables again?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a 34SC and honestly was planning on it, but after weighing both, just didn't seem worth it for the small weight savings.- It's not 1/2 lb like Fox says.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shakabra View Post
    I picked up some Problem Solvers Bubs - available at most online bike shops - and they fit the holes perfectly but they don't stay seated. I need some kind of glue to keep them in place. Anyone have any recommendations for something that can be removed later if I want to run cables again?
    Maybe try some Sugru, if done correctly this will just pull back out of the frame with no residue left behind. Itís basically plasticine for adults and works really well for this and many other applications.

https://sugru.com/buy/?gclid=CjwKCAj...xoCnfQQAvD_BwE

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You own a V1, Spark RC, and a new Top Fuel? Why are you looking at this bike? Lol

Lol, sorry I have just the v1 rip, Iím considerin the b4 rip, new top fuel and the spark rc

Formerly of Kent
    None yet on this bike, but I did plenty of big rides on my Ripmo with roughly the same geo, and never had any issues. If anything, my lower back pain was noticeably less. Fit on this bike feels pretty much the same but with the saddle slid back a hair further, and the stem 10mm higher. No issues with knees either...I'll have some longer ride reports soon enough.
    For what must be the millionth time:

Comparing STAs and resultant seat positions between bikes with different amounts of travel and sag is an exercise in futility.

They are not the same thing.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I decided to run a bit more sag (low 30%) than the 25% in the Ibis setup guide. The bike felt quite a bit better and didn't notice any ill effects climbing.

Shockwiz confirmed by finally giving me consistent scores in the mid 90s vs wallowing in the low 80s before. It never gave me a recommendation to reduce air pressure but it was pretty much the last adjustment I could make.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    What is the current lead time on getting a build spec? It seems like it will be a month or more to get one if I order today.

Any suggestions on the best place to order from to speed up the process?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    For what must be the millionth time:

Comparing STAs and resultant seat positions between bikes with different amounts of travel and sag is an exercise in futility.

They are not the same thing.

Okay. Sorry.

But while we're back on that topic, I've now done a few pretty big rides on this bike and as I previously stated, the geometry / riding position feels identical to my Ripmo. And once again, no issues with my knees, and back pain is noticeably less than with previous bikes. But I must be wrong because this is the internet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyhawk View Post
    What is the current lead time on getting a build spec? It seems like it will be a month or more to get one if I order today.

you can always check here. competitive cyclist had one large GX build left when i called last week. i want to say either cambria or jenson (or maybe fanatik?) had an X01 build as well.

https://www.ibisb2b.com/ripmo.html

mtbr member
    Okay. Sorry.

But while we're back on that topic, I've now done a few pretty big rides on this bike and as I previously stated, the geometry / riding position feels identical to my Ripmo. And once again, no issues with my knees, and back pain is noticeably less than with previous bikes. But I must be wrong because this is the internet.
    Wait, what?

So youíre saying that despite differences in travel the bikes fit similarly even though frame geometry is very similar? Incredible!

--Reamer

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Spent the day sessioning logs. Ripley handled them with no issue. Here is a 21 inch, slightly downhill log.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Spent the day sessioning logs. Ripley handled them with no issue. Here is a 21 inch, slightly downhill log.

Your bike looks so bad ass. How are you liking those new Barzos, and do you have any width or height measurements on them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Your bike looks so bad ass. How are you liking those new Barzos, and do you have any width or height measurements on them?
    I like the Barzos. I have been running them for 3 years. These are the newest version. They are a really good all around tire for east coast mid Atlantic. I can measure to ight or tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I run mine with a light XX1 build and 34SC fork. This bike doesn't feel XC at all to me; 100% short travel trail bike. Wish I would have gone with a different fork tbh. Can't get the stepcast to feel right yet, and I don't have the option to go 130+ now. Oh well live and learn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyhawk View Post

A few days ago Shaun at N+1 bikes had a large in stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

1st Ride impressions - a bit long

Took my maiden voyage on my new Ripley this weekend. I live in Puget Sound area, so thought I'd spend an easy day at Swan Creek. Lot of fast, flowy trails with well built berms, no really hard technical climbs, but some nice drops and jumps. Really fun cross between x-country and DH. Anyways, in a nutshell this bike excels in this environment. It corners and compresses really well and is very lively. Pumping this thing is a joy and even took it on a few laps of the pump track and it was a blast. Not BMX fast like my ancient Elf Doublecross from back in the day I still have, but good. Like others have said, it is a reallllly fun bike that is super playful and had me looking for any feature to get some air. Conversely, it's still easy to keep it glued to the trail in fast rollers for max speed. Not much gnar in the park but the bike is very supple. I do think I need an extra reducer in the rear shock to make make a better judgement. I was blowing through my rear travel with 30% sag. The climbing here is pretty easy going, and I was able to easily clear anything I could throw at it. Very supportive in climbs, and the traction even with the stock Schwalbe tires was good. I'm used to Minions front and rear, so I expected worse, although conditions were good - dry hardpack with some loose marbles here and there. Not challenging for any 2.6" tire I presume.I weigh ~215, 33" inseam, and am a hair under 6' on a large. Compared to my old 2015 Kona 134, this this climbed way better, was much faster on everything and felt much more playful.

The fit is good for me, but the cockpit is not what I would consider roomy when seated (50mm stem and Ibis Hi-Fi bars w/ 30mm rise). Conversely, I didn't feel at all cramped. It was very similar to my Kona, which had pretty progressive geo for the time. Then, when the seat is dropped and I'm descending, it is amazing. There is very little flat riding I do, so I have zero issues with any hand numbness, back pain, etc. I may put a 6 degree rise stem on just to raise the bars a bit more since I'm getting older, but that's about it.

As for other bikes, I demo'd the RM Instinct, Ibis Ripmo, SB100 and 130 and Specialized Stumpy. Tested all on my local trails - full Grand Ridge loop and the blue trails at Duthie. The Yeti's are amazing bikes as well, and to me they felt like the tires were velcro'd to the ground. Amazing suppleness, very smooth and great climbers on technical ascents. They go over anything with zero drama and have a Cadillac ride. The Ibis bikes are more like sports cars - lighter feeling, more playful, and always asking you to go faster. For me, I had to decide what I wanted and landed on the Ibis. It was actually a tough decision, but the complexities of the Switch Infinity helped sway me away. I liked the Ripmo very much too, but for my type of riding the Ripley is plenty of bike. It can get me into plenty of trouble as it is. The Ripmo climbed really well, but not quite as good as the Ripley. It felt the burlier bike, as expected. It's even faster going down the gnar than the Ripley, but the Ripley is really good too. The choice between the two is down to the trails you ride and your riding style for which one you would choose. As for the Instinct, it's more like the Ibis Ripmo than the Yeti, but I preferred the DW link. Although it rode very similar to the Ibis bikes, the Ripley had a *slightly* more supple ride. I'd take either of these bikes in a heartbeat. Both are great. The Stumpy wasn't really considered after a demo. It did everything well, it's a great all around bike, but IMO it just wasn't in the same league. However, you can get the Stumpy for a grand less with similar build (GX build, carbon wheels), so it is a great value. These are my opinions, thanks for watching.
    Last edited by azgoat; 1 Week Ago at 09:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Great review. I was using all of my travel with 30% sag as well. I thought about getting a larger reducer also. Before I did that I reduced the sag to 25%. That didn't take much away from the ride but helped greatly with blowing through the travel. Even though I was using all the travel at 30%. I never had any harsh bottom outs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm 202lbs, still on the stock 0.6 volume spacer. Shockwiz shows my pressure at 233psi cold and 240psi hot and 25-26% sag in the attack position. Every pump I've tried reads lower than the Shockwiz by a bit, so this would likely read 228-230psi on a shock pump but I'll verify next time I hook it up.

Still at 72psi (pump reading) up front with the stock 3 volume spacers.

I'm using all the travel on bigger hits and it just eats everything up while staying very composed. I bought a volume spacer kit in anticipation that I'd swap to a 0.8 spacer but I don't think I'll be changing anything. Right now this bike is giving me 95% of the confidence I had on my Ripmo while climbing effortlessly.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm 202lbs, still on the stock 0.6 volume spacer. Shockwiz shows my pressure at 233psi cold and 240psi hot and 25-26% sag in the attack position. Every pump I've tried reads lower than the Shockwiz by a bit, so this would likely read 228-230psi on a shock pump but I'll verify next time I hook it up.

Still at 72psi (pump reading) up front with the stock 3 volume spacers.

I'm using all the travel on bigger hits and it just eats everything up while staying very composed. I bought a volume spacer kit in anticipation that I'd swap to a 0.8 spacer but I don't think I'll be changing anything. Right now this bike is giving me 95% of the confidence I had on my Ripmo while climbing effortlessly.
    Where are you riding and what type of terrain? Howís the climbing between the two?

mtbr member
    ^any idea what those tires actually measure on a 30mm rim? Last time I used a 2.35 Forekaster it ran extremely narrow so I'm wondering if they've changed anything.
    2019 Ibis Ripley V4-p9ebyd1.jpg

Here's that 2.35 Forekaster on my Santa Cruz Reserve wheels with 30mm internal diameter. I inflated to 30 PSI. Looks like it measures true to size.

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-voifc0i.jpg

And just because, here's the 2.3 DHR II on the front.
    Last edited by eysikal; 1 Week Ago at 08:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Glad to see they're running true to width. Man, MTBR hates Imgur for image hosting lol. If anyone has trouble opening the images manually, the 2.35 Forekaster measured 2.367" and the 2.3" DHR II measured 2.308". Thank you for posting this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    you can always check here. competitive cyclist had one large GX build left when i called last week. i want to say either cambria or jenson (or maybe fanatik?) had an X01 build as well.

https://www.ibisb2b.com/ripmo.html
    Jenson looks like they have all builds, but they are all 4-6 weeks backordered.

mtbr member
    azgoat, thanks for the review and commenting on the riding position and other bikes you rode, very helpful indeed
    Last edited by BikeThreads; 1 Week Ago at 08:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ended up tuning my fork differently than normally suggested, based on the suggestions on Shockcraft. Man what a difference. I weigh 190lbs and tend to ride pretty heavy handed and footed, and prefer a more supportive suspension. Ended up running 0 volume spacers, ~103 PSI, 6 clicks rebound, 3 clicks LSC. Fork now has a decent amount of midstroke support and feels much better. Bottomed it out a couple times, but no hard bottoms. Tried a little more pressure, but it felt harsh at that point. I might try a single volume spacer if I start hard bottoming.

As a side note, I hard bottomed the rear again jumping into the same rock chute. It was definitely not the front. Running 230 PSI, LSC 2, and 6 clicks rebound. Might try adding a few pounds and dropping LSC to 1. I am actually pretty happy with the current shock setup except for the hard bottoms. Another thing that isn't bike specific is that the rebound knob on my shock is resetting itself down to 2 clicks randomly during rides. Apparently this is an issue with these shocks given that I found a thread with multiple people looking for a solution. Unfortunately no one seemed to have a solutions, so I might have to call/email fox.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Just wanted to share some a few vids from a fun ride this weekend. I've been riding a 55 lbs Giant Full E ebike (27.5 x3.0) for the past two years and didn't realize what I was missing out on. The Ripley is sooo much fun. I love how predictable the traction is in turns, I've experience several two wheel slides that were very controlled unlike my last bike. Drops are no biggie with the larger wheel size, even though the Ripley has a bit less travel than the Giant. Lastly, one of the best feelings is coming out of a corner and accelerating - it's feels so efficient and direct. Can't wait for my new Onyx Vesper hubs with Derby wheels coming soon.

There's a section with a few small log climbs that I struggled to clear with my last bike. I thought it would be more difficult but all I had to do was get the front tire over and let the bike do the rest. I have so much more BB clearance and with nearly half the weight, I'm a much better technical climber now. I've also noticed a lot less pedal strikes with the Ripley.

https://youtu.be/EE59fxD8La8

But the real fun is the flowy sections, just feels great. Maintains momentum and just wants to go.

https://youtu.be/HNXc9OID26Y

The bike is near perfect. A few minor tweaks I'm trying to figure out:

-I might need to trade for a shorter dropper; at max height, it feels about a 1/2 too tall and there's no room to put it down any further. Maybe an excuse to get the AXS reverb?
    -I have the Fox Factory 34 setup at the shop at 92 psi and it felt so stiff, rode at 75 psi and it felt great! I'm running the tires (Nobby Nic on the rear and Hans Damph on front) at 20 psi; wondering if I can go lower. Rider weight 180lbs.
    -I've noticed my triceps getting tired on long rides, do I need to raise the stem?

Last comment, I love the XX1 AXS. Super fast shifts and the slight electric shifting sounds is satisfying. I was able to get my Garmin Edge to show my gear which is nice until I get used to the feel of Eagle. I've had a few times when I've been in gear 2 or 3 thinking that I was in the lowest gear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Where are you riding and what type of terrain? Howís the climbing between the two?
    I'm in FL so lots of short punchy ups and downs, man made flow sections with berms, table tops / doubles, steep rock gardens up and down, lots of natural rooty sections. A good mix overall, but nothing sustained. I'll be taking it to Pisgah in 10 days.

For a longer travel trail bike, the Ripmo is absolutely amazing. Pedaling forces are completely isolated from the rear shock and it just motors up anything - as long as you keep the pedals turning, the bike does all the work and just goes. But, you're still pushing a Fox 36 around and a burlier bike overall, so you feel it on longer rides. The Ripley feels quite a bit more nimble, and every pedal stroke is seemingly transferred into forward momentum. My friend rode it and said it felt effortless, and the only other bike he rode that accelerated like my Ripley was an e-bike demo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    New review along with the Pivot T429 from the bike mag crew in Tucson

Interesting they are on XL's------

As we would expect the 2 bikes compete well head to head

https://www.bikemag.com/tucsonbible/

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Is this Leb as in Lebanon Hills in Minneapolis area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ahkim View Post
    Just wanted to share some a few vids from a fun ride this weekend. I've been riding a 55 lbs Giant Full E ebike (27.5 x3.0) for the past two years and didn't realize what I was missing out on. The Ripley is sooo much fun. I love how predictable the traction is in turns, I've experience several two wheel slides that were very controlled unlike my last bike. Drops are no biggie with the larger wheel size, even though the Ripley has a bit less travel than the Giant. Lastly, one of the best feelings is coming out of a corner and accelerating - it's feels so efficient and direct. Can't wait for my new Onyx Vesper hubs with Derby wheels coming soon.

There's a section with a few small log climbs that I struggled to clear with my last bike. I thought it would be more difficult but all I had to do was get the front tire over and let the bike do the rest. I have so much more BB clearance and with nearly half the weight, I'm a much better technical climber now. I've also noticed a lot less pedal strikes with the Ripley.

But the real fun is the flowy sections, just feels great. Maintains momentum and just wants to go.

-I might need to trade for a shorter dropper; at max height, it feels about a 1/2 too tall and there's no room to put it down any further. Maybe an excuse to get the AXS reverb?
    -I have the Fox Factory 34 setup at the shop at 92 psi and it felt so stiff, rode at 75 psi and it felt great! I'm running the tires (Nobby Nic on the rear and Hans Damph on front) at 20 psi; wondering if I can go lower. Rider weight 180lbs.
    -I've noticed my triceps getting tired on long rides, do I need to raise the stem?

Last comment, I love the XX1 AXS. Super fast shifts and the slight electric shifting sounds is satisfying. I was able to get my Garmin Edge to show my gear which is nice until I get used to the feel of Eagle. I've had a few times when I've been in gear 2 or 3 thinking that I was in the lowest gear.

Nice riding!

As for the triceps, try 17 or 18 psi up front and see if that helps. Could possibly try a few pounds less in the fork as well. Iíd mess with that a bit before changing your fit.

Is this Leb as in Lebanon Hills in Minneapolis area?
    Yes. Thatís Lebanon Hills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll let someone have my brand new M for an extra 500

J/K

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Who's running a ISCG mount with their Sram DUB cranks? I tried installing and with the spacer on the drive side it's too tight for the bearing to spin smoothly. Any tips?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Ninja View Post
    Who's running a ISCG mount with their Sram DUB cranks? I tried installing and with the spacer on the drive side it's too tight for the bearing to spin smoothly. Any tips?
    You have to use a slightly smaller spacer. I had one in the bag of stuff that came with my frame and BB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    2019 Ibis Ripley V4-screen-shot-2019-06-10-2.03.41-pm.pngBasically one of these suckers then. I'll have to double check I think I got was the one on the left. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Little Ibis customer service prop.

So I asked if anyone else was having noise from the rear brake on here. As I mentioned, mine was howling really bad. The parts came straight off the V2 to the V4, so I doubted it was the pads or rotors. But I still went through baking the pads, sanding them, resurface the rotor, changed the caliper bolts, changed the 180 adapter etc.. every thing I could think of.

So I call Ibis and talk to Will looking for some possible pointers, he mentions new pads and rotors. I insist I've done everything and the parts had been on the V2. I also mention how a I had the same issue with a 2012 StumpJupmer- he apparently remembers those frames very well from his bike shop days.

Anyway, so that I'm not out a bunch of money to try something that might or might not work, he asks what brakes I have and sends out a new rotor and pads priority mail to me. Well they worked.

Emailed him asking for an invoice for the parts/shipping as I don't think it's fair that Ibis is out that expense.

Anyway finally not embarrassed to ride my bike and its fin raining all day.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Ninja View Post
    https://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/ripley-...p-1104389.html

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=ahkim;14129483]Just wanted to share some a few vids from a fun ride this weekend. I've been riding a 55 lbs Giant Full E ebike (27.5 x3.0) for the past two years and didn't realize what I was missing out on. The Ripley is sooo much fun. I love how predictable the traction is in turns, I've experience several two wheel slides that were very controlled unlike my last bike. Drops are no biggie with the larger wheel size, even though the Ripley has a bit less travel than the Giant. Lastly, one of the best feelings is coming out of a corner and accelerating - it's feels so efficient and direct. Can't wait for my new Onyx Vesper hubs with Derby wheels coming soon.

Sick video bro! I do some video stuff and your video is legit! Chest mount with gimbal? As they say-a pic is worth a thousand words and video even better! Great contribution to this post!

As far as triceps getting worked - hit the gym bro! You got skills and sick bike so just work on that engine/body. I hate going to gym but it works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

According to the Fanatik site, the difference between the black and blue, size large, is 60 grams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ___
    Last edited by ccftri; 1 Week Ago at 04:54 PM. Reason: redundant

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Similar situation here, hoping for some replies. Would love to ride with with a 34 SC, but am a little worried about the low BB height with the switch to 120 and smaller tires.

Also considering the new norco revolver 120. That'll be a bit racier, but hard to argue with the fact that in many respects the ripley is a better bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Bible of Bikes review of the Ripley is out:

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ccftri View Post
    Similar situation here, hoping for some replies. Would love to ride with with a 34 SC, but am a little worried about the low BB height with the switch to 120 and smaller tires.

Also considering the new norco revolver 120. That'll be a bit racier, but hard to argue with the fact that in many respects the ripley is a better bike.
    My solution for BB height was a 6mm crown race. I did a light build with a 34 SC, but if I was doing it over, I would have gone with a regular 34 for versatility. Love the lighter set up though on my local pedaly trails.

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-image1.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I like the Barzos. I have been running them for 3 years. These are the newest version. They are a really good all around tire for east coast mid Atlantic. I can measure to ight or tomorrow.

Did you ever get a chance to measure them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Whats the 10mm less travel up front gain you? Trust me I get it I was all over a 120/120 bike, but after taking apart my bikes apart and getting actual weight of a SC34 vs. non-SC 34, just realized it was silly- posted the wights on a scale in this thread. 128g gram difference. If you use the same parts on 120 build vs. a 130 build then it's 1/4 lb difference and a lose of versatility.

I even had the spacer mentioned ready to run the 34sc. That fork is going on the Ripley V2 with the spacer.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Whats the 10mm less travel up front gain you? Trust me I get it I was all over a 120/120 bike, but after taking apart my bikes apart and getting actual weight of a SC34 vs. non-SC 34, just realized it was silly- posted the wights on a scale in this thread. 128g gram difference. If you use the same parts on 120 build vs. a 130 build then it's 1/4 lb difference and a lose of versatility.

I even had the spacer mentioned ready to run the 34sc. That fork is going on the Ripley V2 with the spacer.
    Yup, I'll take the 130, with the ability to bump to a 140 air shaft for the ~90 something gram weight gain after using a Kabolt axle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I haven't because I need to pick up my calipers from another location. Possibly tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Iím running a DVO Diamond with 150mm travel on my Ripley LS and really like it. Considering the v4 and using same fork. Anyone else using DVO?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You're not wrong. I wasn't really thinking about it from a weight point of view. More about efficiency over a long up and down ride. But, yes, 10mm in front isn't really going to change much.

I also want to keep my next bike fairly distinct vs my Bronson.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    2019 Ibis Ripley V4-d0576ddb-c794-4311-af69-3ad3191bcdee.jpg

Just finished the build 27.3lb with 140mm fork and 2.3 DHF and minion SS(probably going back to aggressor in rear)

I have been on a ripmo for the past year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Herch View Post

Name:	D0576DDB-C794-4311-AF69-3AD3191BCDEE.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	339.8 KB 
ID:	1256719

Just finished the build 27.3lb with 140mm fork and 2.3 DHF and minion SS(probably going back to aggressor in rear)

I have been on a ripmo for the past year.
    Congrats. Which frame size is it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Selling the ripmo, or do you think they are different enough to keep both?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My solution for BB height was a 6mm crown race. I did a light build with a 34 SC, but if I was doing it over, I would have gone with a regular 34 for versatility. Love the lighter set up though on my local pedaly trails.

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	302.9 KB 
ID:	1256693

Cool, thanks. I like the crown race idea. However, I was thinking that a slightly steeper HTA (blasphemy, I know) might be preferable in a more XC focused setting. Just slapping a 120mm on there would probably steepen the head and seat tube angles by around half a degree and increase the reach by around 5mm. Does using the crown race negate those changes?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post

Sick video bro! I do some video stuff and your video is legit! Chest mount with gimbal? As they say-a pic is worth a thousand words and video even better! Great contribution to this post!

As far as triceps getting worked - hit the gym bro! You got skills and sick bike so just work on that engine/body. I hate going to gym but it works.
    Thanks Man! Just a GoPro 7 Black with a Chesty, aimed a bit lower than I would've liked. Yea, I guess that gym is in order...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rmanalan View Post
    Bible of Bikes review of the Ripley is out:
    Damn, hard to not rush out and buy one after that review.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Medium

Congrats. Which frame size is it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Sold it. To similar to keep both

Selling the ripmo, or do you think they are different enough to keep both?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Anyone have experience with TubeLess and Maxxis MaxxPro (in this case Ardents)? I have an hard time to get them leakproof.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trumphair View Post
    I decided to run a bit more sag (low 30%) than the 25% in the Ibis setup guide. The bike felt quite a bit better and didn't notice any ill effects climbing.

Shockwiz confirmed by finally giving me consistent scores in the mid 90s vs wallowing in the low 80s before. It never gave me a recommendation to reduce air pressure but it was pretty much the last adjustment I could make.

Same here. Several hundred miles on my V4. Fast, slow, tech, smooth, mud, roots, everything. Multiple days in Rocky Mountains. I'm a 25% sag kinda guy, but the Ripley at 30% was best for me. 160 pounds, Cat 1 XC marathon type. Adjusted saddle position and tilt. Still feels steep in STA for awesome climbing, but not a hindrance on seated fast smooth descending pedaling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Same here. Several hundred miles on my V4. Fast, slow, tech, smooth, mud, roots, everything. Multiple days in Rocky Mountains. I'm a 25% sag kinda guy, but the Ripley at 30% was best for me. 160 pounds, Cat 1 XC marathon type. Adjusted saddle position and tilt. Still feels steep in STA for awesome climbing, but not a hindrance on seated fast smooth descending pedaling.
    Good info. What's your marathon setup?

mtbr member
    If anyone has or knows of a large blue frame set available, please PM me!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If anyone has or knows of a large blue frame set available, please PM me!
    Try Probikesupply

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	302.9 KB 
ID:	1256693
    Do you have a link the the 6mm crown race? I want to do the same thing with my Fox 34 SC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Anyone have experience with TubeLess and Maxxis MaxxPro (in this case Ardents)? I have an hard time to get them leakproof.

Try the tires forum

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I realized I never posted a Pic.

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-rip-v4.jpg
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    On 30mm ID.

58 knob to knob
    60 sidewall to sidewall
    Approx 59 in height from rim to outer

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That's awesome. Mud is my favorite color.
    Last edited by ccftri; 6 Days Ago at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks!

On 30mm ID.

58 knob to knob
    60 sidewall to sidewall
    Approx 59 in height from rim to outer

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Huge shoutout to Arin and Pro Bike Supply. Super happy with how the bike turned out

- Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I realized I never posted a Pic.

Name:	Rip V4.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	359.2 KB 
ID:	1256885
    Haha...that's the best pic so far.

I usually just let the muf fall off on its own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Haha...that's the best pic so far.

I usually just let the muf fall off on its own.
    My daily trail runs along a large creek. So the trail has a ton of those little tributary( lack of better term) crossings and crosses the main creek 3 times. So there's always going to be mud for me, don't even worry about it any more.

Get it off the chain, shock and fork every ride - wash the bike once a month or so.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane_CA View Post
    Huge shoutout to Arin and Pro Bike Supply. Super happy with how the bike turned out

hows that push damper working out?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hows that push damper working out?
    Unfortunately zero rides on it. Iíll do a write up after I get a handful of rides though. I have an Avy tuned Pike on another bike so excited to see how this compares

- Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane_CA View Post

Bike looks amazing. Congrats.

Is that Pike at 140? Iíll be curious to hear how it rides - especially if youíve ridden the Fox 130 and can compare.

mtbr member
    Try Probikesupply
    Thank you. I will.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bike looks amazing. Congrats.

Is that Pike at 140? Iíll be curious to hear how it rides - especially if youíve ridden the Fox 130 and can compare.
    Thanks. Appreciated. Yes the Pike is set up at 140mm. I test rode the Fox 130 on an Ibis demo bike for two sets of 3 days and will definitely compare once I get a few rides in on the Pike.

- Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    May 2019

Fidlock Bottle Twist

In case anyone is looking for a water bottle cage option, I'm a big fan of how clean the Fidlock looks when not in use. I'll use my USWE pack for hot days or longer rides.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis Ripley V4-rrrwvkv.jpg  

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-pto8mox.jpg  

Last edited by ahkim; 5 Days Ago at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Now that the honeymoon is over for most of you Ripley owners, are you still in love with your new toy? or regretting having it and looking for something else..?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    Now that the honeymoon is over for most of you Ripley owners, are you still in love with your new toy? or regretting having it and looking for something else..?
    Love mine. Fit feels like a comfortable pair of shoes. This is a rare find for me being a short person and STA can be problematic. Performance has been great. I have had it in just about all of the conditions I will ride in: tight singletrack, rock gardens, roots, techy climbing, punchy ups and downs, tight turns, under 4 foot drops, log overs, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Do you have a link the the 6mm crown race? I want to do the same thing with my Fox 34 SC.
    Universal Cycles has them:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=93742

Cool, thanks. I like the crown race idea. However, I was thinking that a slightly steeper HTA (blasphemy, I know) might be preferable in a more XC focused setting. Just slapping a 120mm on there would probably steepen the head and seat tube angles by around half a degree and increase the reach by around 5mm. Does using the crown race negate those changes?
    This basically negates the geo changes. Bike is already low and STA pretty steep for my needs. Could not imagine a steeper STA and lower BB being beneficial at all. IDK how beneficial a steeper HTA would be on this specific bike because with the steep STA the front doesn't wander at all on climbs. Its a billy goat.

gravity curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    Happy camper here. Ripley is a well ridden and usually dirty chap who has setup longterm residence at chez cowdog.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nice, too many nice shiny new bikes, here's some dirt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_1377.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How are people finding the ripley on flatter tighter terrain. I live in an area which doesnt have lots of steeps but lots of flatter tight singletrack. Currently riding an SB100. Just wonder if the steep STA will be too much and that perhaps sticking with the sb100 is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rglsr View Post
    Nice, too many nice shiny new bikes, here's some dirt.
    Can you tell the frame size? Looks like L.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by olibluegoat View Post
    How are people finding the ripley on flatter tighter terrain. I live in an area which doesnt have lots of steeps but lots of flatter tight singletrack. Currently riding an SB100. Just wonder if the steep STA will be too much and that perhaps sticking with the sb100 is the way to go.
    Having both, I'd say keep what ya got. I prefer my SB100 (but prefer the Ripley overall) for Dallas trails that are tight and twisty. The Ripley is much better for nothing more up and down and faster terrain. The 76* STA is not ideal for flatter terrain IMO unless you're taller and your "real" effective STA is a little slacker.
    Yeti SB100
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley LS V3
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot 429SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Having both, I'd say keep what ya got. I prefer my SB100 (but prefer the Ripley overall) for Dallas trails that are tight and twisty. The Ripley is much better for nothing more up and down and faster terrain. The 76* STA is not ideal for flatter terrain IMO unless you're taller and your "real" effective STA is a little slacker.
    Ditto. The Ripley STA can be "changed" when I set sag at 25 or 30 percent, it can be changed when I make a tiny adjustment to the seat height or saddle angle or stem spacer. I've played with it for hundreds of miles, and it can be made to pedal like a non-76 STA, but it takes away from the modern trend of geometry. Maybe it's a compliment the bike can be whatever I want to a certain degree.
    My only first-world issue is having sag at 25%, seat fully extended and pedaling hard/fast on smooth non-steep descents. That is where a 76STA rears its ugly head compared to my 100mm slacker STA (relative comparison) 29ers.
    On flatter tighter terrain I'd have to adjust my Ripley sag and seat height to make it near perfect. With my other lightweight more XC bikes, it's a set it and forget it type of situation.
    FWIW, I demoed a SB100 (large). Loved it. Didn't buy because of price and SI issues (whether real or not) and my local Yeti tribe stigma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    FWIW, I demoed a SB100 (large). Loved it. Didn't buy because of price and SI issues (whether real or not) and my local Yeti tribe stigma.
    I am debating between the Ripley V4 and SB100. I demoed the Yeti but not the Ripley. How would you compare them? thanks...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    I am debating between the Ripley V4 and SB100. I demoed the Yeti but not the Ripley. How would you compare them? thanks...
    In MY OPINION for my riding terrain of smooth, fast, hours of climbing (I can do 10,000' days no problem) mixed with some aggressive trails nearby....

Yeti was large with 50mm stem.
    Ripley for my 5'10"/32" inseam is better with 40mm stem.
    Same bar rise both.

I'm a short travel and HT kinda guy. The Yeti would be my pick for one bike to race XC, marathon, 100 mile days. It'd be great at St. George, Bend, Lake Tahoe.
    I'd choose the Ripley for rougher faster descents. Otherwise both are very similar except for the flat tight smooth pedaling intensive trails where I like a 74-ish STA. I don't subscribe to every bike needs a 66.5 HTA and 76STA. I demod the Ripmo and did not like it, FWIW. A 120mm rear and 76STA is pushing it. A 100mm rear and 74.5-ish STA is just as "steep" when factoring in overall geometry.

I'd buy based on price, dealer support, color and whatever made you go "ooooh, yeah" when walking in the garage. I'm a DW Link fanboy, and have owned many Ibis in addition to other DW such as Turner Czar, etc. But the SB100 was so good that I'd overlook the Yeti Tribe stigma (silly, I know) and happily ride it. Paying almost $1000 less for a Ripley V4 Factory frame compared to the SB100 was a major deciding factor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Can you tell the frame size? Looks like L.

Correct, large frame

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    if you're not racing XC every weekend and counting grams buy the Ibis. It's a better life partner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    In MY OPINION for my riding terrain of smooth, fast, hours of climbing (I can do 10,000' days no problem) mixed with some aggressive trails nearby....

Same bar rise both.

I'm a short travel and HT kinda guy. The Yeti would be my pick for one bike to race XC, marathon, 100 mile days. It'd be great at St. George, Bend, Lake Tahoe.
    I'd choose the Ripley for rougher faster descents. Otherwise both are very similar except for the flat tight smooth pedaling intensive trails where I like a 74-ish STA. I don't subscribe to every bike needs a 66.5 HTA and 76STA. I demod the Ripmo and did not like it, FWIW. A 120mm rear and 76STA is pushing it. A 100mm rear and 74.5-ish STA is just as "steep" when factoring in overall geometry.

I'd buy based on price, dealer support, color and whatever made you go "ooooh, yeah" when walking in the garage. I'm a DW Link fanboy, and have owned many Ibis in addition to other DW such as Turner Czar, etc. But the SB100 was so good that I'd overlook the Yeti Tribe stigma (silly, I know) and happily ride it. Paying almost $1000 less for a Ripley V4 Factory frame compared to the SB100 was a major deciding factor.
    Pretty much agree with all of this. But I would add that IMO the SB100 SI "fix" made the bike much more flexy in the rear end (yes, I made sure the bolts were tight) and the initial version rides better. I have the original version and have so far not developed the creak that was the reason for the newer version. I've never felt a bike flex before (I'm only 145 pounds or so dressed) and this was a little disconcerting.
    Yeti SB100
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley LS V3
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot 429SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Same bar rise both.

Thanks for your input, very helpful! I am building a SB130 and was thinking of a lighter, shorter travel second bike for longer rides and possibly some single track bikepacking. It sounds from your experience that the Ripley would be too close to the SB130 in terms of capabilities....

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Finally got my frame! Let the building begin! Placed frame/fork order on may 2nd.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for your input, very helpful! I am building a SB130 and was thinking of a lighter, shorter travel second bike for longer rides and possibly some single track bikepacking. It sounds from your experience that the Ripley would be too close to the SB130 in terms of capabilities....
    I also demoed a SB130 and almost bought one. But price and that darn Tribe thing prevented me. Okay, mainly price. My Ripley is built to about 25 pounds and it feels more XC than the SB130 for obvious reasons. I don't need or want a 140 or 150 fork in these trails. Heck, I didn't think anything more than a SC34 is needed for these smooth-ish trails, but the Ripley front end with a 130 is very nice. FWIW, I've ran a 44 and 51 rake Fox 34 Factory on my Ripley. Could not tell a difference, and I wanted a quicker turning bike. Please don't take my armchair engineering as gospel, but I think tire selection, psi, and cockpit setup has more effect on bike handling than a 44 vs 51 rake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Just finished gf's small build. 26.5 pounds on the bathroom scale. Pike feels super supple. Will probably end up with a Deluxe shock to match soon. Excuse the terrible temporary tape job, we're playing it safe here. Cinch crank took 4.3mm of spacers on drive side and none on NDS other than the RF plastic spacer that goes between adjuster and BB shield.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis Ripley V4-20190612_223547-1-.jpg  

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-20190612_223605-1-.jpg  

Last edited by FactoryMatt; 5 Days Ago at 08:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    In my opinion I'd say there's about 75% overlap with the Rip and SB130 for my trails.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Pretty much agree with all of this. But I would add that IMO the SB100 SI "fix" made the bike much more flexy in the rear end (yes, I made sure the bolts were tight) and the initial version rides better. I have the original version and have so far not developed the creak that was the reason for the newer version. I've never felt a bike flex before (I'm only 145 pounds or so dressed) and this was a little disconcerting.
    Also your weight roughly (maybe slightly lighter). Currently on a Bronson, and want something for my local trails that are more mellow (San Diego, area, Laguna Mountain when not heading to Noble). Since I already have a Bronson I was thinking something really XC'ish like a Blur, Orbea Oiz, etc. But then thinking if I got something that can handle some of our chunk, I'd just beef up the Bronson more to separate them. I am leaning Ripley but was wondering, how much pedaling and climbing efficiency difference is there between the SB100 and Ripley? If it's really close I'm leaning Ripley.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
    Also your weight roughly (maybe slightly lighter). Currently on a Bronson, and want something for my local trails that are more mellow (San Diego, area, Laguna Mountain when not heading to Noble). Since I already have a Bronson I was thinking something really XC'ish like a Blur, Orbea Oiz, etc. But then thinking if I got something that can handle some of our chunk, I'd just beef up the Bronson more to separate them. I am leaning Ripley but was wondering, how much pedaling and climbing efficiency difference is there between the SB100 and Ripley? If it's really close I'm leaning Ripley.
    The Ripley gives up nothing in pedaling or climbing to the SB100 in any condition or terrain type. Heck, to any bike that I can think of (have not ridden new Pivot Mach 4SL with/without LiveValve). And I am a climbing freakshow that would give up some descending for more ascending speed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The Ripley gives up nothing in pedaling or climbing to the SB100 in any condition or terrain type. Heck, to any bike that I can think of (have not ridden new Pivot Mach 4SL with/without LiveValve). And I am a climbing freakshow that would give up some descending for more ascending speed.
    That's really good info, thanks. Sounds like you and I are similar in terms of (sometimes) prioritizing climbing over descending.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You and I are wrestling with the same decision. I'm about 160 with gear and I also currently ride a Bronson (I'm not really good enough to 'justify' all that travel, but I'm working on it). I want my 'small' bike to be as different as possible.

I had the blur TR on my short list, but I'm not wild about the short reach (450mm in large with a 120mm fork). So basically now it's down to the Ripley or the new Norco Revolver 120. The Rip is in the lead for me right now. The Norco is definitely a beefier XC bike while the Ripley is a lighter trail bike. But at the end of the day the numbers are pretty close (I'll probably try the Rip with 120mm fork) and I have to think the Ripley is going to be much more comfortable and efficient (even if I stayed at 130mm). I'm sure the Norco platform is good, but I have a hard time believing it's better than the DW on the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I ordered my bike on 5/27. When should I be getting it? I am going with a large GX build. 120 SC upfront. kishma front and rear. 170 cranks and carbon bar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If any of you wonderful new Ripley owners want to do me a huge favor, I will be forever in your debt. Can you check to see if there is 10mm of clearance between the non-drive side crank arm and the frame? 10mm is the width of a AAA battery. A picture would be worth a thousand words in this case.

I'm going to install a powermeter on the left crankarm, and I'd like to send it off to get installed before my bike actually shows up, so as to not lose any riding time.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    If any of you wonderful new Ripley owners want to do me a huge favor, I will be forever in your debt. Can you check to see if there is 10mm of clearance between the non-drive side crank arm and the frame? 10mm is the width of a AAA battery. A picture would be worth a thousand words in this case.

I'm going to install a powermeter on the left crankarm, and I'd like to send it off to get installed before my bike actually shows up, so as to not lose any riding time.

Thanks in advance.
    No. These are 169mm q factor next r cranks. About 7.5mm clearance. Calipers in photo are set at 10. you MIGHT have luck with a 4iiii cr2032 power meter depending on the cranks you're using. e.g. Rotor cranks might clear.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis Ripley V4-20190613_130340-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    No. These are 169mm q factor next r cranks. About 7.5mm clearance. Calipers in photo are set at 10. you MIGHT have luck with a 4iiii cr2032 power meter depending on the cranks you're using. e.g. Rotor cranks might clear.
    Thanks very much. Plan is X01 cranks and a 4iiii (I've had good results with 4iiii). I guess I will wait until I have the bike to make sure it will fit. Thanks again for taking the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    you're welcome. FWIW my 4iiii pod is 7.85mm deep. i think you might be able to swing it with just enough clearance with metal cranks. they stuck a pod on a sisl2 crank for me and those might work on a 73mm bb, not sure.

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...e-1021156.html

gravity curmudgeon
    Ditto. The Ripley STA can be "changed" when I set sag at 25 or 30 percent, it can be changed when I make a tiny adjustment to the seat height or saddle angle or stem spacer. I've played with it for hundreds of miles, and it can be made to pedal like a non-76 STA, but it takes away from the modern trend of geometry. Maybe it's a compliment the bike can be whatever I want to a certain degree.
    My only first-world issue is having sag at 25%, seat fully extended and pedaling hard/fast on smooth non-steep descents. That is where a 76STA rears its ugly head compared to my 100mm slacker STA (relative comparison) 29ers.
    On flatter tighter terrain I'd have to adjust my Ripley sag and seat height to make it near perfect. With my other lightweight more XC bikes, it's a set it and forget it type of situation.
    On the Ripley I find myself using the seat dropper for varying heights while pedaling all the time. In this way I get the best of the full new geometry steep STA when I want it -- most of the time -- and can tone it down one inch at a time on demand. For me, this is what makes the geometry brilliant in real world riding conditions where I do things like ride up or down mild grade roads to get to trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    you're welcome. FWIW my 4iiii pod is 7.85mm deep. i think you might be able to swing it with just enough clearance with metal cranks. they stuck a pod on a sisl2 crank for me and those might work on a 73mm bb, not sure.

They'll work I'm running sisl2 on my Ripley. You just need a Race spindle for a decent Q factor.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Yeah, I fully expect it to work. I was hoping to save some time by buying the cranks now and getting it installed before my frame gets here (beginning of July), but it's safer to wait. I just don't want to get a new ride and have to put it on the shelf for 1-2 weeks while I ship a crank arm to Calgary!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    2019 Ibis Ripley V4-ibis.jpg

I got a 100 mile ride in last weekend on the 1st three segments of the Colorado Trail on my V4. Zero buyers remorse!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2019 Ibis Ripley V4

Quote Originally Posted by peteshoe View Post
    m

I got a 100 mile ride in last weekend on the 1st three segments of the Colorado Trail on my V4. Zero buyers remorse!
    Nice to hear you have no regrets....but..What the heck is actual in all that bags??

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Food, rain gear, extra weight to get ready for some bike pack races this summer

gravity curmudgeon

Name:	ibis.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	494.0 KB 
ID:	1257333

Awesome!

Nov 2015
    This bike is on my short list as the launch of it had flown under the radar (we welcomed second child a month early and the last month has mostly been about sleep deprivation).

Iím in Colorado and sadly no local dealers have demos, everyone is expected to take the plunge with no test ride. To make matters worse they are selling out I to the September time frame now.

So Iím looking for input.

I am a 190 lb 5í 10.5Ērider who has cut his teeth on SC 5010 AL for the last five years riding relatively easy local trails with the occasional trip to stuff like buffalo creek trail.

What I like about 5010 is the razor sharp handling, my local trails have terrible visibility and lots of foot traffic and other riders so decent low speed handling is key. 5010 with 130/130 has just enough oomf to get me through all the moderate level stuff I ride.

What I donít like about the 5010 is I donít think it is a great climber and it feels like some work to get it moving.

I had zeroed in on an SB130 as my likely next bike but I can get a GX Ripley with Fox Factory suspension and carbon wheels for less than the price of a Yeti Turq lunch ride.

Any input?

I want to be on something sooner rather than later as the riding season is compressed for me this year with new baby and pretty rotten weather all the way into May.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    140 pike and yes.

mtbr member
    I'm sure the Ripley will be fine out there, even on Noble Canyon. I regularly throw on a beefy front tire and ride my Intense Primer (140/130) on Noble and everything else out there with ZERO issues while everyone else in our group is riding 160 travel bikes. I've even ridden the Primer (though I usually ride my Tracer) at Greer and while it runs out of travel in a few spots, it's never let me down.

You should demo the Ripley. Cal Coast has them or if you're willing to drive to Pro Bike Supply in Newport Beach, they have them and their demos are pimped out with full carbon and top end suspension (while Cal Coast does a lot of Performance related suspension).
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Name:	ibis.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	494.0 KB 
ID:	1257333

How did you get a full size water bottle in the cage? My large V4 won't fit more than a small (24oz?) bottle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
    I want to be on something sooner rather than later as the riding season is compressed for me this year with new baby and pretty rotten weather all the way into May.
    You might be out of luck if you want a Ripley quick because Ibis is notorious for supply issues

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'm sure the Ripley will be fine out there, even on Noble Canyon. I regularly throw on a beefy front tire and ride my Intense Primer (140/130) on Noble and everything else out there with ZERO issues while everyone else in our group is riding 160 travel bikes. I've even ridden the Primer (though I usually ride my Tracer) at Greer and while it runs out of travel in a few spots, it's never let me down.

You should demo the Ripley. Cal Coast has them or if you're willing to drive to Pro Bike Supply in Newport Beach, they have them and their demos are pimped out with full carbon and top end suspension (while Cal Coast does a lot of Performance related suspension).
    Sweet. I was wondering if Cal Coast has them, that's where my wife got the Bronson for me. Good people there.

Also love Nursery (Greer).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    k2rider1964, would love to get your comparison of the Ripley to the Primer. I have the Primer set up similar with a 140mm front, carbon wheels, etc. What are the noticeable differences? Likes, dislikes?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You might be out of luck if you want a Ripley quick because Ibis is notorious for supply issues
    Funny, when I tried buy a Trek in the past, my LBS said they were sold out for the year, wait til the next year for the next batch. At least Ibis doesn't make one order for the entire year and then wait til the next year.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

Nov 2015
    I was warned by the same LBS about Ibis historically blowing promised dates on production runs.

They are getting six large Ripley frames in supposedly next week which they said means that it will probably be end of June. Out of those six frames five are allocated and one black one is available.

They said the next batch of black frames isn't due in till mid-late July and the next batch of blue frames won't be in until September... which is a shame because surprisingly I would prefer the blue one.

I called five Ibis dealers within 50 miles of me and none have Ripley demos as they have all sold every bike they can get. A couple of them were real smart asses about it too.

There is zero opportunity to demo the Ripley but it appears to be almost exactly what I am looking for on paper to replace my aging Santa Cruz Aluminum 5010, a razor sharp trail bike with just enough meat to hit some of the more fun stuff periodically.

I was very close to getting the Yeti SB130 (have had two factory demos cancelled due to weather) but the Ripley might be better for me if it climbs similarly, weighs less, has the fun factor I am looking for on less gnarly trails and costs a grand less.

Nov 2015
    Question for owners, is the S35 wheelset worth it? I don't need the super light weight of the 942 carbon wheels but would have liked to upgrade the hubs to i9 but that doesn't appear to be a factory option (S35 wheelset + i9 hubs).

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Ibis is a relatively small company that is IMO making the best bikes available. Their production is limited so they get as many as they can for the launch and will continue to make frames as fast as they can sell them. It's not possible for them double or triple their production overnight. It has to a gradual thing, that they are doing.
    Making and sitting on a full year of production for everyone that wants one would cost way too much.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

There is zero opportunity to demo the Ripley but it appears to be almost exactly what I am looking for on paper to replace my aging Santa Cruz Aluminum 5010, a razor sharp trail bike with just enough meat to hit some of the more fun stuff periodically.
    I had a 5010 and it was really incredible in the flowy, twisty stuff and pointed downhill! The Ripley(V2 and V4) in comparison: felt like it has less room in the cockpit, is just barely beneath the 5010 in the lay-it-down-flat, flowy stuff, but then it climbs like there's no tomorrow! Also it's comparing 27.5 vs 29...hmm and VPP vs DW-link? I take my V4 out for its initial trail run tonight, so will see!!

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxrick View Post
    I had a 5010 and it was really incredible in the flowy, twisty stuff and pointed downhill! The Ripley(V2 and V4) in comparison: felt like it has less room in the cockpit, is just barely beneath the 5010 in the lay-it-down-flat, flowy stuff, but then it climbs like there's no tomorrow! Also it's comparing 27.5 vs 29...hmm and VPP vs DW-link? I take my V4 out for its initial trail run tonight, so will see!!
    Yes my 5010 has been a sweet ride, and probably started me out over my skill level on the downhill stuff as I had some pretty bad biffs on the bike early on.

Had wished I'd gotten it with a carbon frame. Considered upgrading to the newer 5010 too but think I want to go to a 29er next.

Would love to hear your impressions on the comparison.

My #1 area where I feel the 5010 struggles is uphill. Even after a 1x11 Shimano drivetrain conversion the bike probably still weighs over 30 lbs. The VPP suspension has a fair amount of flex in it and it's horribly uncomfortable if I lock the shock and fork out.

I think Ripley V4 might be the sweet spot I'm looking for. I'd probably be stoked on an SB130 as well but that is really too much bike for 90% of the riding I do and I will pay for the privilege of joining Tribe Yeti too.

//edit

I'm confused about comments on cockpit sizing. My 2013 5010 large has a reach of only 403mm and a 73 degree seat tube angle.

The Ripley large has a reach of 475mm and a seat tube angle of 76 degrees so it should feel MUCH roomier than the super tight cockpit of the 5010, which is another one of its downsides. As fun as it is to zip around and feel like you're on top of the bike one of the issues I had with it earlier on is not getting far enough back on the downhills and fighting the front end. I imagine that is FAR less of a problem on the newer geo bikes like SB130 or Ripley v4.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

I'm confused about comments on cockpit sizing. My 2013 5010 large has a reach of only 403mm and a 73 degree seat tube angle.

The Ripley large has a reach of 475mm and a seat tube angle of 76 degrees so it should feel MUCH roomier than the super tight cockpit of the 5010, which is another one of its downsides. As fun as it is to zip around and feel like you're on top of the bike one of the issues I had with it earlier on is not getting far enough back on the downhills and fighting the front end. I imagine that is FAR less of a problem on the newer geo bikes like SB130 or Ripley v4.
    The STA is the reason people say this. On descending, there is PLENTY of room to get back, especially with the 185mm dropper I have on my large. As I stated before, I don't feel cramped when seated, but I'm comparing my new Ripley to my old 2015 Kona 134 which had a 460mm reach and a 74 STA. I personally get along with the fit quite well. With my Kona, I needed to climb on the very nose of my saddle to keep the front wheel from flopping around. I find the Ripley perfectly balanced to climb while seated normally, and simply make small adjustments depending on the terrain. I really like this for my type of riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashCanipe View Post
    k2rider1964, would love to get your comparison of the Ripley to the Primer. I have the Primer set up similar with a 140mm front, carbon wheels, etc. What are the noticeable differences? Likes, dislikes?
    Thanks!
    Primer is very beefy. a bit heavier. very poppy. pedals like no other bike out there. in comparison with the ripley, slightly harsh off the top. bottom bracket is higher, bike rides taller and higher in travel. i almost think the primer CF is better made than the Ibis. Taiwan versus Vietnam.

Ripley, low and fast. more active; plush by comparison. travel limited, where the Primer can be pushed closer to Ripmo territory by changing out link to Recluse 140mm. you'll get pedal strikes for days on the ripley in places where clearance never even crossed your mind on the Primer. if you're on a Primer currently and like the travel you currently have, you might also look at the Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Question for owners, is the S35 wheelset worth it? I don't need the super light weight of the 942 carbon wheels but would have liked to upgrade the hubs to i9 but that doesn't appear to be a factory option (S35 wheelset + i9 hubs).
    I have the S35's and have always liked carbon wheels. I came off Light Bicycle wheels and I do like the S35's more. They are wide however. I ride on 2.6" tires, so they are a good match for the rims. If you don't need/want the fatties, might the 29mm rims be a better option?

Nov 2015
    Okay Ibis peeps, I have caved.

Bike ordered.

The bike in question was supposed to have shipped out of Ibis today but knowing Ibis being late the LBS says probably it will be here in 1-2 weeks or 3-4 weeks on the outside.

The good news is there was time to switch the configuration;

• Ibis Ripley v4 Large Black
      GX Eagle Drivetrain
      Upgrade to Fox Factory suspension
      Upgrade to S35 wheels
      Upgrade to carbon bar
      Maxxis tires

The shop can also swap the Deore brakes when they get the bike to the 4 piston Shimanos for $200 so I'll probably just have them do that.

I am STOKED!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Congrats!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Bike ordered.

The bike in question was supposed to have shipped out of Ibis today but knowing Ibis being late the LBS says probably it will be here in 1-2 weeks or 3-4 weeks on the outside.

GX Eagle Drivetrain
      Upgrade to S35 wheels
      Upgrade to carbon bar
      Maxxis tires

The shop can also swap the Deore brakes when they get the bike to the 4 piston Shimanos for $200 so I'll probably just have them do that.

I am STOKED!!!!

Congrats! How did you get it to ship so soon? I ordered mine on the second week of May and its backordered until at least mid July. Also, some frames are backordered until 2020.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashCanipe View Post
    Thanks!
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply that I had ridden the Ripley and probably won't. I'm totally satisfied with my Primer....definitely to the extent that I have no desire to spend $2500+ chasing the next best thing. Besides, I'm actually moving on from my Tracer which is going to my son so that's the bike I need to replace. I rode the Yeti SB130 yesterday and demo'ing the Ripmo tomorrow. Sounds like FactoryMatt below has your answers.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyvego5000 View Post
    Congrats! How did you get it to ship so soon? I ordered mine on the second week of May and its backordered until at least mid July. Also, some frames are backordered until 2020.
    No local shops gave me 2020 dates but the biggest LBS said it was end of July for black and sometime in September for blue.

The shop I am getting it from said they placed orders for these bikes weeks ago in standard configurations as well as bare frames. They just happened to have one black bike left that no customer had snapped up.

It is possible that Ibis might prioritize some shops more than others, not sure.

I do know Iím stoked that I could possibly have this bike before the end of the month. Taking a few days off to ride is going to be my staycation this year. STOKED!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Anyone buy the NX Eagle version? Any feedback ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    forks good rest of parts are commodity until you can upgrade. definitely get the bikeyoke dropper upgrade out of the gate; it's an excellent value.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Delivery---I was at the IBIS factory the other day and learned that some distributors--LBS's pre-ordered in decent amounts and other did not---like Sports Basement here essentially barely ordered---I was told this has a big affect on who is getting bikes soon and who is waiting as IBIS i honoring those who took the largest plunge---obviously constrained by frame builds in Asia.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Delivery---I was at the IBIS factory the other day and learned that some distributors--LBS's pre-ordered in decent amounts and other did not---like Sports Basement here essentially barely ordered---I was told this has a big affect on who is getting bikes soon and who is waiting as IBIS i honoring those who took the largest plunge---obviously constrained by frame builds in Asia.
    That makes sense.

Colorado Ibis dealers sold every Ripmo they could get their hands on last season and would have gotten an early peek at the Ripley in April and like
    Y placed large orders based on their 2018 experience with Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Bike ordered.

GX Eagle Drivetrain
      Upgrade to S35 wheels
      Upgrade to carbon bar
      Maxxis tires

I am STOKED!!!!
    Awesome!! Congrats!! I just returned from my 1st ride and here's my feedback...AMAZING!!

I've owned the 5010, a V2 and on a pivot mach 429 now. This one does it well!! Climbing is a bit better than the pivot. I liked the pivot because it just goes forward when you pedal, almost effortlessly, the V4 is exactly the same feeling! It was fairly muddy on the trails today with lots of roots, especially on the technical climbs. This bike walked all over it.

As for cornering, it's very predictable in the wet slop I ran into. I had no problem needling it thru tight trees, technical switchbacks, or over off camber roots.

Suspension felt good, soaked up roots easily, seated or standing. It feels soooooo light!!

I don't have anything negative to say about it, but maybe after some more saddle time I'll find something. One thing, I think I'll need a 150mm dropper now!!

Nov 2015
    Awesome!! Congrats!! I just returned from my 1st ride and here's my feedback...AMAZING!!

I've owned the 5010, a V2 and on a pivot mach 429 now. This one does it well!! Climbing is a bit better than the pivot. I liked the pivot because it just goes forward when you pedal, almost effortlessly, the V4 is exactly the same feeling! It was fairly muddy on the trails today with lots of roots, especially on the technical climbs. This bike walked all over it.

As for cornering, it's very predictable in the wet slop I ran into. I had no problem needling it thru tight trees, technical switchbacks, or over off camber roots.

Suspension felt good, soaked up roots easily, seated or standing. It feels soooooo light!!

I don't have anything negative to say about it, but maybe after some more saddle time I'll find something. One thing, I think I'll need a 150mm dropper now!!

STOKED!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm afraid I have to disagree here. The SB100 pedals and climbs better (well, faster at least) than the Ripley IMO. And I say that not really liking my Yeti. But the thing pedals better than any FS bike I've ridden. The Ripley DOES pedal and climb VERY well for a bigger, 120mm bike. And does everything else better than the SB100, lots better. The Yeti is totally over-rated in the descending category IMO.
    Yeti SB100
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley LS V3
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot 429SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Iím guessing that should be a standard option soon (new S-carbons + i9ís) as they clear out old stock of the 942 and 935. Ibis was due to get a shipment from i9 today, actually, so maybe new wheelsets will be available shortly. I was also able to confirm that new i9 builds should be Hydras now rather than the old Torches.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm afraid I have to disagree here. The SB100 pedals and climbs better (well, faster at least) than the Ripley IMO. And I say that not really liking my Yeti. But the thing pedals better than any FS bike I've ridden. The Ripley DOES pedal and climb VERY well for a bigger, 120mm bike. And does everything else better than the SB100, lots better. The Yeti is totally over-rated in the descending category IMO.
    The Yeti, by the clock, may have slight edge in straight out smoother climbing, but not without a price. The Ripley, to me, is better at tech climbing and climbing with obstacles over the long run. The Ripley just seems unstoppable here. I have both and definitely notice less fatigue over these climbs with the Ripley.

Given that, both are insane bikes. Here in the mid Atlantic, we seldom have long downhill or uphills. We are just tight singletrack through the woods with punchy ups and downs, rock gardens and roots, on and off the gas. I try not to get hung up on Strava because sometimes we hammer (fast) the trails and sometimes we play (slow) on the trails. I choose the bike that does these things well, make me the best rider I can be at 52, and keeps me smiling till the end.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    How did you get a full size water bottle in the cage? My large V4 won't fit more than a small (24oz?) bottle.
    I'm using an old blackburn Ti cage, the bold holes are slightly slotted, so I have a little bit of up/down adjustment. It's close but it fits. It takes a while for me to get used to reaching that low for a water bottle. BUT I'm not complaining -

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

What's up with your hoses and cables...!??

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Yes my 5010 has been a sweet ride, and probably started me out over my skill level on the downhill stuff as I had some pretty bad biffs on the bike early on.

Had wished I'd gotten it with a carbon frame. Considered upgrading to the newer 5010 too but think I want to go to a 29er next.

Would love to hear your impressions on the comparison.

My #1 area where I feel the 5010 struggles is uphill. Even after a 1x11 Shimano drivetrain conversion the bike probably still weighs over 30 lbs. The VPP suspension has a fair amount of flex in it and it's horribly uncomfortable if I lock the shock and fork out.

I think Ripley V4 might be the sweet spot I'm looking for. I'd probably be stoked on an SB130 as well but that is really too much bike for 90% of the riding I do and I will pay for the privilege of joining Tribe Yeti too.

//edit

Youíre confusing Reach with Effective Top Tube length ....might be good for you to do a bit of research into geometry measurements and when / why they are important . Reach has nothing to do with how the cockpit feels when seated...

And judging by your comment about trying to get far enough back on downhills and then fighting the front wheel I suspect you might benefit from a lesson on proper body positioning. No offence, just trying to be helpful. Learning how to properly ride would make your riding experience a whole lot more enjoyable and would allow you to truly experience the benefits of a new modern geo bike. Especially one as awesome as the Ripley.

BTW, the Ripley is way more capable and fun than a 2013 5010. It would be an awesome upgrade for you. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What's up with your hoses and cables...!??
    Quick job to get out, need to run rear hose thru frame, will see how my first bleed job goes!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SCJG View Post
    Youíre confusing Reach with Effective Top Tube length ....might be good for you to do a bit of research into geometry measurements and when / why they are important . Reach has nothing to do with how the cockpit feels when seated...

And judging by your comment about trying to get far enough back on downhills and then fighting the front wheel I suspect you might benefit from a lesson on proper body positioning. No offence, just trying to be helpful. Learning how to properly ride would make your riding experience a whole lot more enjoyable and would allow you to truly experience the benefits of a new modern geo bike. Especially one as awesome as the Ripley.

BTW, the Ripley is way more capable and fun than a 2013 5010. It would be an awesome upgrade for you. Have fun!
    Iíve seen bike experts , bike reviewers regularly refer to reach as he did ...
    As in more room to stretch your arms out in the seat ...
    I honestly think itís a deceiving name for a measurement...because the visual of the term is reaching for the bars ...
    As is effective top tube ...dumb ...

We live in a world of a dumbed down society - why Apple & Amazon dominate... hit a button it works.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    We live in a world of a dumbed down society - why Apple & Amazon dominate... hit a button it works.
    Uhhhhhhhh, so in a smart society you hit a button and it doesn't work? Nothing happens? It won't let you do anything before you install 17 required updates? BSOD?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    Uhhhhhhhh, so in a smart society you hit a button and it doesn't work? Nothing happens? It won't let you do anything before you install 17 required updates? BSOD?
    idiocracy if you haven't seen the film.

Name:  idiothospital.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  34.4 KB

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SCJG View Post

I'm not going to do research on geometry measurements, I see reach measurement used when describing how the cockpit feels quite regularly, maybe it's the right measurement to refer to maybe not, but by any measure the Ripley is a larger bike in every way (wheel base, reach, top tube) compared to a 1st generation 5010.

It's also a bit of a hot take to recommend that I go and take a lesson because of a description of handling characteristics of the 5010.

When I thought I would want to get into MTB I did take an introductory class from REI because at the time I thought I might be purchasing my bike there. I also have learned a lot about riding positioning from chasing more capable riders on the trails I frequent.

What I am referring to is what is shown by this bloke;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDXyjh3SI7w

What he is describing about not being back and low on the bike is EXACTLY what I was describing, but maybe he should take a lesson on body positioning as well.

On the 5010, being such a short 27.5" bike I was getting too far forward perched on the tip of the saddle when descending and this resulted in loading up the front end too much and having it get too squirrely at speed. In my greenie newbie opinion this is more of a problem on a bike with a short wheel base and short/tight cockpit than on a bike that is slacker and longer since there is less margin for error.

Even though I have a dropper post on my 5010 now I don't use it a lot, I usually get low and to the rear of the saddle on descents and use the saddle position as a "guide" to where my body needs to be lined up to make sure that I have good low center of gravity when the bike is going fast and is pointed downhill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Not arguing with you but the dimension youre referring to really is front center. Thats what affects how much weight is on front end when fully back in descend mode.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    DGG
    I'm not going to do research on geometry measurements, I see reach measurement used when describing how the cockpit feels quite regularly, maybe it's the right measurement to refer to maybe not, but by any measure the Ripley is a larger bike in every way (wheel base, reach, top tube) compared to a 1st generation 5010.

It's also a bit of a hot take to recommend that I go and take a lesson because of a description of handling characteristics of the 5010.

When I thought I would want to get into MTB I did take an introductory class from REI because at the time I thought I might be purchasing my bike there. I also have learned a lot about riding positioning from chasing more capable riders on the trails I frequent.

What I am referring to is what is shown by this bloke;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDXyjh3SI7w

What he is describing about not being back and low on the bike is EXACTLY what I was describing, but maybe he should take a lesson on body positioning as well.

On the 5010, being such a short 27.5" bike I was getting too far forward perched on the tip of the saddle when descending and this resulted in loading up the front end too much and having it get too squirrely at speed. In my greenie newbie opinion this is more of a problem on a bike with a short wheel base and short/tight cockpit than on a bike that is slacker and longer since there is less margin for error.

Even though I have a dropper post on my 5010 now I don't use it a lot, I usually get low and to the rear of the saddle on descents and use the saddle position as a "guide" to where my body needs to be lined up to make sure that I have good low center of gravity when the bike is going fast and is pointed downhill.
    hmmmm.....guess you have it figured out then. Enjoy your riding and sorry you were offended by my advice, was really only trying to be helpful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    What I presented to you is fact - if you wanna argue - find a wall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    ripmo large and ripley small. pretty good bikes.

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-ripmo-ripley_clean.jpg

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast