2019 Ibis Ripley V4 - Page 22- Mtbr.com
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,400 of 4402
    mtbr member
    Moots? I agree but I think going forward thats the platform they all need to start heading in I'm sorry. Going to take a while for sure. Cost will go up but if we're all going to relying heavily on China in the future expect shit like this to come up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum1 View Post
    Moots? I agree but I think going forward thats the platform they all need to start heading in I'm sorry. Going to take a while for sure. Cost will go up but if we're all going to relying heavily on China in the future expect shit like this to come up.
    I think Ibis frames (at least mine) is made in Vietnam. Specialized frames, and many other I think are made in Taiwan. Not China.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by 2low4snow View Post
    I placed my order in late June. 4 weeks ago my LBS said it would ship from Ibis within 14 days..... I'm still waiting.
    Holy crap!! Is that just the frame or a full bike??

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Carbon bicycle frames don't lend themselves to mass production, it is a labor intensive process.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 13ringinheat View Post
    Holy crap!! Is that just the frame or a full bike??
    Full bike. XT build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Sorry to ask this again but can anyone weigh in on a sizing question.

I am 5-9.25, 31 inch inseeam, 5-11 reach. I seem right between sizes. I've sat on both and it still a tough call. Medium feels slightly cramped but handles better. Large feels a little boatey but is way more comfortable pedaling. Wasn't able to take it on proper trails though.

thanks in advanced.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I suggest a large and run the cockpit super short

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Reached out to Jenson for my pre-order, looks like its bad news.......this is what they told me, time frame for the frame are longer Ibis wants to get the complete bikes out first. Once they catch up, then they will start releasing the frames.

The wait continues......Yeti Sb115 is in stock, but i really like the Ripley based on all the reviews i have read and videos i have watched....

No local dealer, i am pretty much going by reviews for my choice...

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 13ringinheat View Post
    Reached out to Jenson for my pre-order, looks like its bad news.......this is what they told me, time frame for the frame are longer Ibis wants to get the complete bikes out first. Once they catch up, then they will start releasing the frames.

The wait continues......Yeti Sb115 is in stock, but i really like the Ripley based on all the reviews i have read and videos i have watched....

No local dealer, i am pretty much going by reviews for my choice...
    Local dealer told me Ripley orders made today would be looking at Feburary-MAY delivery. That's 7+ months on the long end!

mtbr member
    7 months!????! Dude Iíll find another sport!!! How the hell is Ibis going to stay in business if they canít deliver bikes in 7 months!!!?

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by red92s View Post
    Local dealer told me Ripley orders made today would be looking at Feburary-MAY delivery. That's 7+ months on the long end!
    Thats crazy....the good thing is i have a bike that i am perfectly happy with right now, so i can still ride.....

These wait time are horrendous....

In Transit
    Just a friendly reminder that there are bikes out there by all accounts, you just have to be willing to call around to find them.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    7 months!????! Dude Iíll find another sport!!! How the hell is Ibis going to stay in business if they canít deliver bikes in 7 months!!!?

Hah . I guess it's the fact that they have so many orders that they literally can't fill demand =P. Would be nice if they would scale up a bit though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    Just a friendly reminder that there are bikes out there by all accounts, you just have to be willing to call around to find them.
    Yup...get on that Ibis Dealer page and spam all shops that carry Ibis and you will find a bike. I found a small V1 Ripley a year after they stopped making them. The shop was in in Tuson, AZ and I live in VT. Granted it was not during a pandemic when everyone seems to both have money and want to ride bikes, but.....not every Ripley in every size in every configuration is sold out.

In Transit
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelandk2 View Post
    Hah . I guess it's the fact that they have so many orders that they literally can't fill demand =P. Would be nice if they would scale up a bit though.
    That reminds me of the old Yogi Berra quote, "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Scaling up has lead times and risks associated with it. It's not an instantaneous process - Ibis needs to assess their demand curve and create projections against which to order product, their manufacturing partner then needs to put Ibis' order in the priority queue with their other customers, order additional tooling and materials (1~3 months), allocate production capacity, receive said tooling and materials, run production/QC/packaging processes, put packaged product on the slow boat from Vietnam (6 weeks), clear customs, and then ship to distribution hubs/bike shops. Meanwhile, all of the other manufacturers are doing the same thing - much like bike consumers, bike manufacturers are all chasing the same resources driving up lead times and costs. I would SWAG that this is a six month process at a minimum so someone would have had to pull the trigger at the very start of quarantine to see any impact currently.

Furthermore, you could bankrupt your bike company by overestimating demand and over ordering, only to find that your product finally arrives just as a vaccine is coming out and people are returning to work thus sending bike demand off a cliff as people don't have the same amount of free time to spend cycling. By the same token, the factory isn't going to let all of their customers double or triple their orders because they have a finite amount of space and if they let their customers over order, there is a not insignificant risk that invoices will go unpaid when their customers (the bike companies) overwhelm their retail channels and hit a cash crunch due to unsold inventory and discounts. The bike industry knows that the current boom and demand is temporary - they are collectively trying to estimate how deep that demand is and how long it will last but it's monkeys throwing darts at the end of the day.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I'd sit this one out. Too many balls in the air right now. Already reading cheaper AXS on the way as well. Called this.

mtbr member
    GiddyHitch: great summary!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    By doing it differently than everybody else. They brought in a guy with experience in materials and methods new to the bike industry, and they build a single front triangle to use over multiple models. They also use aluminum for everything but the front triangle. I expect their volume is much lower which helps quite a bit. Ibis would have to completely redesign their entire lineup to do anything similar, as would any of their more direct competitors.

This plus they got large grant from the state. They didn't do it all on their own.

"In 2018, the Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade gave Guerrilla Gravity a boost with a $250,000 Advanced Industries Accelerator grant to accelerate R&D on Revved."
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Unfortunately I'd sit this one out. Too many balls in the air right now. Already reading cheaper AXS on the way as well. Called this.
    You didn't call anything. Trickle down goes on in just about every industry.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Yup, my ripley frame that was showing Oct 31st is now showing March. I'm hoping that is for just new orders coming in at this time. Either way I still have bikes to ride.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ordered mine late July. It should be getting here end of next week or week after. Super stoked. Iím coming from a Trek hardtail Iíve ridden since 2013. Is a great bike but it doesnít compare to a full squish Ripley. My build is fox upgrade/xt/s35/i9. I think Iím one of the lucky last ones that put in my order before the wildfires added to the supply chain woes getting my bike in a sooner rather than later fashion. I was supposed to get it early September, no fault of anyone. So much better than waiting the 6-7 months Iím hearing now 😳

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Glad to hear. Mine ordered mid to late July as well. Keeping fingers crossed

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

you are going to hate me for this...

... but on August 10th I saw that the Deore build Ripley ($4199 and the one I was looking for) was showing available through Competitive Cyclist. I opened a chat window and the rep told me they were going to get two in my size around the end of the month, maybe early September. I ordered it on the spot and took confirmation that one of the two was mine. I got an update a week later that the bike was in and about a week away from being shipped. It arrived August 25th.

Needless to say it was well worth the wait LOL

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Finally happened. Bike showed up yesterday (ordered late June). Was supposed to be an XT build but Ibis included XTR cranks which was a nice surprise. They also put on orange grips to match the Ripley writing and fox logos, nice touch. Both front and rear tires are Hans Dampf.

Only been on one short ride in the evening but the bike is exactly what I expected. Need to make a couple minor adjustments and get used to the new geo but otherwise this thing rips.

Instead of a pic of my new ripley, how about a pic of the bike it is replacing. My 2010 giant trance. Hopeful the new Ripley lasts as long as the giant did.

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-p9070148.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Finally happened. Bike showed up yesterday (ordered late June). Was supposed to be an XT build but Ibis included XTR cranks which was a nice surprise. They also put on orange grips to match the Ripley writing and fox logos, nice touch. Both front and rear tires are Hans Dampf.

Only been on one short ride in the evening but the bike is exactly what I expected. Need to make a couple minor adjustments and get used to the new geo but otherwise this thing rips.

Instead of a pic of my new ripley, how about a pic of the bike it is replacing. My 2010 giant trance. Hopeful the new Ripley lasts as long as the giant did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9070148.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	302.9 KB 
ID:	1369725
    Thatís awesome. Xtr crankset is basically the biggest difference between the 2 groupsets. Pleasant surprise indeed.

In Transit
    Between the crankset, grips, and tires, it sounds like Ibis is doing everything they can to get bikes to customers and switching out components where necessary to make that happen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkfairy10 View Post

I am 5-9.25, 31 inch inseeam, 5-11 reach. I seem right between sizes. I've sat on both and it still a tough call. Medium feels slightly cramped but handles better. Large feels a little boatey but is way more comfortable pedaling. Wasn't able to take it on proper trails though.

thanks in advanced.
    A friend has a medium and he is 5'9". At first he thought it was the right size but after a few rides he's having doubts. He moved the seat back and put on a longer stem but still feels small.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Between the crankset, grips, and tires, it sounds like Ibis is doing everything they can to get bikes to customers and switching out components where necessary to make that happen.
    This is exactly what the LBS said as well. Certain parts are hard to come by so they just use what they have. Worked out okay for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
    A friend has a medium and he is 5'9". At first he thought it was the right size but after a few rides he's having doubts. He moved the seat back and put on a longer stem but still feels small.
    I'm roughly 5'9" and really struggled with picking a L or M. I parking lot tested both and was still unsure. I ended up picking M. I only have two rides on it so far but when seated, it feels perfect! When standing it feels a tiny bit smaller than what I am used to. If I had to do it again, I'd still go M but I generally prefer a smaller bike. I think it really depends on your proportions, what you ride and what you want in a bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    I just took delivery of my Ripley. I went with the Ibis Carbon Wheels and I assumed they were sending the S28 but when it arrived it has S35 on it. I was thinking I wanted the S28 to be a bit lighter,and I was planning on only running 2.4-2.5 tires.

So, should I care that they sent the S35? Am I being inefficient if Iím not running wider tires? What impact would it have on the ride and handling?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicmatters View Post
    I just took delivery of my Ripley. I went with the Ibis Carbon Wheels and I assumed they were sending the S28 but when it arrived it has S35 on it. I was thinking I wanted the S28 to be a bit lighter,and I was planning on only running 2.4-2.5 tires.

So, should I care that they sent the S35? Am I being inefficient if Iím not running wider tires? What impact would it have on the ride and handling?
    Wider rims can square up some tires more than a narrower rim.

If you plan to run tires in the 2.5Ē range, the 35mm rim will be awesome.

As an example, Maxxis ďWTĒ tires are designed around 30-35mm inner rim widths, from what I remember tires between 2.4Ē-2.6Ē are ďwide trailĒ model tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Lately I saw pic's Ibis ripley with full Dvo setup from DVO INSTA Account and some pic's on full fox spec but with dpx2 and 36 .
    Do you think that ibis will announce new build options for ripley soon or maybe there will be ripley AF?

mtbr member
    Thinking about placing an order on a Ripley for March delivery. I have two young kids and as such riding a fraction of what I used to. But Iím looking to get back into the game. A few questions I am hoping owners can comment on.

Aluminum wheel options include the 933 rim (29.5mm internal) or S35 rims (35mm internal) on Ibis hubs. 35mm seems a bit wide for the Ripley. 35mm does seem like a better fit for 2.6Ē tires but not 2.3-2.4 that Iíll likely use. Suggestion in choosing the width? Also comments on how the Ibis hubs work? These are not the wheels Iíll go for in the long term. Still look serviceable.

The Fox Factory upgrade option is $500 or $166 shock, $333 fork. Thoughts on if this is worth it. Iím not a suspension tinkerer, more set and forget. Its too bad Ibis doesnít offer the Performance Elite option, only Performance and Factory. I have never run FS. This will be my first and until a few years back I often ran rigid. But I am definitely getting older and my spine is clearly getting stiffer. So itís probably time even if itís +$2000 over a hardtail.

Brakes: Thoughts on 2-piston vs. 4? I ride in rocky New England. Slow and twisty. No long descents so not much worry about fade. I have never felt need for more power with my current XT 785 (180/160) in the back but would want more in the front. Wondering if the 4pot offer better feel. I plan on pulling off the Sram and going XT, either 8100 or 8120.

Application: Curious to anyone who rides in the Northest (Iím in NE) and how the bike fits with riding here. Also any other bikes I should be considering? Revel Ranger?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Grande View Post
    Thinking about placing an order on a Ripley for March delivery. I have two young kids and as such riding a fraction of what I used to. But Iím looking to get back into the game. A few questions I am hoping owners can comment on.

Aluminum wheel options include the 933 rim (29.5mm internal) or S35 rims (35mm internal) on Ibis hubs. 35mm seems a bit wide for the Ripley. 35mm does seem like a better fit for 2.6Ē tires but not 2.3-2.4 that Iíll likely use. Suggestion in choosing the width? Also comments on how the Ibis hubs work? These are not the wheels Iíll go for in the long term. Still look serviceable.

The Fox Factory upgrade option is $500 or $166 shock, $333 fork. Thoughts on if this is worth it. Iím not a suspension tinkerer, more set and forget. Its too bad Ibis doesnít offer the Performance Elite option, only Performance and Factory. I have never run FS. This will be my first and until a few years back I often ran rigid. But I am definitely getting older and my spine is clearly getting stiffer. So itís probably time even if itís +$2000 over a hardtail.

Brakes: Thoughts on 2-piston vs. 4? I ride in rocky New England. Slow and twisty. No long descents so not much worry about fade. I have never felt need for more power with my current XT 785 (180/160) in the back but would want more in the front. Wondering if the 4pot offer better feel. I plan on pulling off the Sram and going XT, either 8100 or 8120.

Application: Curious to anyone who rides in the Northest (Iím in NE) and how the bike fits with riding here. Also any other bikes I should be considering? Revel Ranger?
    1. Get the 933 rims. I run 2.35 and I have a S28 carbon rims (Same width) with Ibis hubs. Perfect match. Ive had much higher end hubs, but these are perfectly fine for what I am riding.

2. It sounds like you don't plan to ride too rowdy terrain so I'd get whatever your budget holds. I have the performance because it was all I could get. I think (and knew it going in) the DPS sucks, but only when I am riding rougher terrain at speed. On gentler, XC like terrain with a few short rough spots, it's fine if you get the right settings and spacers in it. I can't speak to the fork as I don't know current Fox forks.

3. Get 4POT brakes if only for the few times you may ride longer descents. I don't need them but I like the confidence they bring.

4. On the Ripley in NE....I love mine here in VT. It's the perfect bike except when it gets really choppy but that has nothing to do with it being the right or wrong bike in NE. That is the Ripley and especially the inadequate rear shock. I was really interested in the Revel but a long wait pushed me into the Ibis...that and I've had 2 prior Ibis frames. I liked the idea of a bit more travel in the Revel....so I put a 140 on the Ripley and will be getting a more capable rear shock instead.

This bike it so good you won't be disappointed from the sounds of what you are looking for.

mosstrooper
    May 2020
    Seconding WoodstockMTB, the Ripley is a terrific New England bike. Just slack enough to make mid- to high-speed descending feel confident on a short-travel bike, lightweight and easy to move around on the trail, great small-bump sensitivity even with the stock DPS (which, although it might not be the greatest thing in the world, is still passable for shorter or smoother descents). I would say the only drawback is that the steeper seat tube angle really seems to be geared toward the modern "winch and plummet" use-case of enduro bikes-- where you are consistently pedaling uphill for a long time, on steep grades for which you want your saddle to be further forward; and then dropping your seat post at the top of the climb and descending all the way without putting the post back up. Riding in most parts of NE involves a lot of dropper up/dropper down/dropper up again riding, and the seat on the Ripley can for sure get in the way. Particularly if you find yourself in a lot of flattish to rolling terrain -- and you (like me) may have learned to ride through flat corners and rollers on an older bike with a rigid post -- there's really no way to do that with the seat up on the Ripley. The 1-degree slacker STA on the Revel bikes (Ranger and Rascal both) does help with the issue but then you sacrifice the benefits of the steeper STA on long, difficult climbs. So, it's a tough trade-off! If you like DW-Link and don't mind a heavier frame (since the Ranger is for sure heavier), the Pivot Trail 429 is also worth a look -- a little more traditional geometry and feel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gubbinalia View Post
    Seconding WoodstockMTB, the Ripley is a terrific New England bike. Just slack enough to make mid- to high-speed descending feel confident on a short-travel bike, lightweight and easy to move around on the trail, great small-bump sensitivity even with the stock DPS (which, although it might not be the greatest thing in the world, is still passable for shorter or smoother descents). I would say the only drawback is that the steeper seat tube angle really seems to be geared toward the modern "winch and plummet" use-case of enduro bikes-- where you are consistently pedaling uphill for a long time, on steep grades for which you want your saddle to be further forward; and then dropping your seat post at the top of the climb and descending all the way without putting the post back up. Riding in most parts of NE involves a lot of dropper up/dropper down/dropper up again riding, and the seat on the Ripley can for sure get in the way. Particularly if you find yourself in a lot of flattish to rolling terrain -- and you (like me) may have learned to ride through flat corners and rollers on an older bike with a rigid post -- there's really no way to do that with the seat up on the Ripley. The 1-degree slacker STA on the Revel bikes (Ranger and Rascal both) does help with the issue but then you sacrifice the benefits of the steeper STA on long, difficult climbs. So, it's a tough trade-off! If you like DW-Link and don't mind a heavier frame (since the Ranger is for sure heavier), the Pivot Trail 429 is also worth a look -- a little more traditional geometry and feel.
    You make great points. I had to slide my saddle back on my V4 in order to reduce knee pain I did not have on my 72˚seat angle HD3. That upright position hurt my knees. While it will never be as fast as my V1 Ripley in that type of terrain, the juice is worth the squeeze when the trail points up and down where it just flies. Where it does suck is flat road rides out to the trails, but I just use that time to relax and warm the legs up instead of trying to make time.

mtbr member
    Go Large, definitely. I'm 6', 31.5" inseam, my Lg is pretty short in the cockpit, I'm running the seat all the way back and an 80 stem.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfairy10 View Post

thanks in advanced.
    TroyT

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Karzel View Post
    Lately I saw pic's Ibis ripley with full Dvo setup from DVO INSTA Account and some pic's on full fox spec but with dpx2 and 36 .
    Do you think that ibis will announce new build options for ripley soon or maybe there will be ripley AF?
    They already make a Ripley AF, it's called the Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I live in NY and I love my Ripley V4. It climbs really, really well and is great on the descents. Really chunky descents can overwhelm the DPS, but 90% of what I ride it's great. It's easy to weave through tight NE trails and is very confident at speed.

I personally don't think the Fox Factory stuff is worth the $$, I would rather rather have a Pike Ultimate and another rear shock that descends better.

As for other bikes to check out, the Revel Rascal and brand new Stumpjumper are certainly worth a look. the Revel Ranger looks nice, but is more XC focused. The Ripley, Rascal and Stumpjumper are better "all around" bikes in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankS29 View Post
    I live in NY and I love my Ripley V4. It climbs really, really well and is great on the descents. Really chunky descents can overwhelm the DPS, but 90% of what I ride it's great. It's easy to weave through tight NE trails and is very confident at speed.

I personally don't think the Fox Factory stuff is worth the $$, I would rather rather have a Pike Ultimate and another rear shock that descends better.

As for other bikes to check out, the Revel Rascal and brand new Stumpjumper are certainly worth a look. the Revel Ranger looks nice, but is more XC focused. The Ripley, Rascal and Stumpjumper are better "all around" bikes in my opinion.
    It'll be interesting to see how the new (as of today) Stumpjumper stacks up at 130/140. Price wise there is a lot of crossover, with framesets at $2800 and a carbon SLX build at $4k.

mtbr member
    Those 3 you mentioned is what I've boiled down to as well. Problem for me anyway is no LBS has any of these yet in stock to demo. No way in hell am I dropping 9-10k on a bike without testing it. Hate to say it but I can hold off for now. Let the dust settle across the board and then make an educated decision based off of how I like/dislike the ride. It sucks because I think the reality is that we're not going to see anything for months unless you just want to pull the trigger online and buy a Revel to have it in a few months. Not my vibe. LBS carries Ibis and Specialized but their floors are bare. Dialing in on the new Stumpy's that launched but we'll see.

mosstrooper
    May 2020
    The Ripley is so versatile and a "category killer," so I think everyone's experience will be a little different of what bikes are comparable to it. That said, after 5 months riding the Ripley (first size XL, now size LG), and three weeks of riding the Rascal (XL, 40mm stem), I would not necessarily say the comparison is apples to apples, and I wonder if the Ranger with a 130mm Pike would be closer to the 120/130 Ripley v4. This is partly what I'm running for suspension (DPX2/Grip2 36 on the Rascal, DPS/Fit4 34 on the Ripley) but I think even more the difference is the suspension tuning and kinematics on the Revel vs. the Ibis. The Revel really feels like it's trying to be an "all-mountain" bike (Š la RipMo) in a shorter-travel package. CBF rides pretty deep in its travel, I think, in general, and in particular on the Rascal the suspension seems to be tuned to feel deeper than the 130mm you're given. The traction is superb over sketchy off-camber rocks and roots but that comes at the expense of the "energetic" feel of the Ibis-tuned DWLink, which is in its full glory on the Ripley. The Ripley suspension really wants to bring you back to sag after bigger, or even medium-sized hits. I love that tuning/kinematics profile for more pedally, winding descents and also for hammering on the climbs and feeling like the bike just wants to get up and go. The Rascal really can't equal that level of energy but in my opinion the Rascal sends steep chunder more like a RipMo than a Ripley.

I think if you're stoked on the way the Ripley blends XC speed with trail capability, the Ranger (especially with 130mm up front) will not feel too "XC-focused." 115mm of CBF and 120mm of DWLink won't feel radically different. The only thing that seems especially XC about it is the choice of the SidLuxe shock, and presumably a tune to go along with it. Well, that and the 67.5 HTA, but that too will change with the up-forking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by gubbinalia View Post

I think if you're stoked on the way the Ripley blends XC speed with trail capability, the Ranger (especially with 130mm up front) will not feel too "XC-focused." 115mm of CBF and 120mm of DWLink won't feel radically different. The only thing that seems especially XC about it is the choice of the SidLuxe shock, and presumably a tune to go along with it. Well, that and the 67.5 HTA, but that too will change with the up-forking.

The main reason I feel the Ripley is closer to the Rascal is because itís very easy to put something like a 140mm Pike on it and a more capable shock than the DPS.

I personally think one of the big things holding the Ripley back is the Fox suspension spec from Ibis. In my experience, the Pike is a vastly superior fork to the Fox 34 and the swapping the the DPS out for a Manitou offering is very popular here, Iím sure for very good reasons...

Clearly suspension kinematics play a role, but the Fox stuff is also a big part of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The main reason I feel the Ripley is closer to the Rascal is because itís very easy to put something like a 140mm Pike on it and a more capable shock than the DPS.

I personally think one of the big things holding the Ripley back is the Fox suspension spec from Ibis. In my experience, the Pike is a vastly superior fork to the Fox 34 and the swapping the the DPS out for a Manitou offering is very popular here, Iím sure for very good reasons...

Clearly suspension kinematics play a role, but the Fox stuff is also a big part of it.
    I can attest to this. The Ripley is a much more settled bike with a different shock out back. Night and day difference for me. Bike is so much more capable without the dps holding it back. It feels like a completely different bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by thenry View Post
    I can attest to this. The Ripley is a much more settled bike with a different shock out back. Night and day difference for me. Bike is so much more capable without the dps holding it back. It feels like a completely different bike.
    I get this sentiment, but is there any mid-to-large OEM bike manufacturers that are spec'ing something like Manitou or Cane Creek suspension products on bikes? There is obviously a price point component, but some suppliers might just be better positioned to serve OEM channels as opposed to the aftermarket, and it's hard to fault Ibis for that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by thenry View Post

Does the DPX2 have the same effect and improvement over the DPS?

mtbr member
    I get this sentiment, but is there any mid-to-large OEM bike manufacturers that are spec'ing something like Manitou or Cane Creek suspension products on bikes? There is obviously a price point component, but some suppliers might just be better positioned to serve OEM channels as opposed to the aftermarket, and it's hard to fault Ibis for that.
    It's all about marketing and Ibis plays along like everybody else because they need to. The average new bike shopper wants to see Fox Factory Crapima because they think that's what high end bikes are supposed to come with. And it works well enough for most people.

In Transit
    Ibis offers DVO on the Ripmo AF but as Velodonata mentioned, the marketing aspect of the component spec, in term of consumer acceptable, plays a huge role. Like it or not, Fox and Rock Shox hold the largest mindshare for suspension and I would argue that Fox is probably seen as the more prestigious of the two despite the experiences of myself and many others in this thread alone. MTB customers want to see that Kashima on their bike though. I laugh now at how I paid extra for a worse fork (Factory 34 FIT4 vs Performance 34 GRIP).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    It's all about marketing and Ibis plays along like everybody else because they need to. The average new bike shopper wants to see Fox Factory Crapima because they think that's what high end bikes are supposed to come with. And it works well enough for most people.
    For the average rider and weight on average terrain, Iíd argued the traction tune is adequate enough and not bad. Itís when you want to push beyond this is fails pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Agree with above as to why Ibis has Fox. Question on traction tune now that you mention it though. I've heard it referred to as a 'light tune'. What does that mean exactly? Light on rebound as in it has a lot of rebound damping?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
    Agree with above as to why Ibis has Fox. Question on traction tune now that you mention it though. I've heard it referred to as a 'light tune'. What does that mean exactly? Light on rebound as in it has a lot of rebound damping?
    Lighter compression allows faster rebound.

mtbr member
    MTB customers want to see that Kashima on their bike though. I laugh now at how I paid extra for a worse fork (Factory 34 FIT4 vs Performance 34 GRIP).
    Really? Can you explain? Not doubting you. Just curious what you mean. I'm ignorant. Looking to learn.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    1. Get the 933 rims. I run 2.35 and I have a S28 carbon rims (Same width) with Ibis hubs. Perfect match. Ive had much higher end hubs, but these are perfectly fine for what I am riding.

2. It sounds like you don't plan to ride too rowdy terrain so I'd get whatever your budget holds. I have the performance because it was all I could get. I think (and knew it going in) the DPS sucks, but only when I am riding rougher terrain at speed. On gentler, XC like terrain with a few short rough spots, it's fine if you get the right settings and spacers in it. I can't speak to the fork as I don't know current Fox forks.

3. Get 4POT brakes if only for the few times you may ride longer descents. I don't need them but I like the confidence they bring.

4. On the Ripley in NE....I love mine here in VT. It's the perfect bike except when it gets really choppy but that has nothing to do with it being the right or wrong bike in NE. That is the Ripley and especially the inadequate rear shock. I was really interested in the Revel but a long wait pushed me into the Ibis...that and I've had 2 prior Ibis frames. I liked the idea of a bit more travel in the Revel....so I put a 140 on the Ripley and will be getting a more capable rear shock instead.

This bike it so good you won't be disappointed from the sounds of what you are looking for.
    Thanks for the reply. I was leaning 30mm internal rims if available (they really may not be available). I'm reading the Fox shock has not much love. Suggest swapping out immediately for McLeod? I figure selling new is best as I'll fetch more for it.

There's a shop in Claremont, NH that sells Revel. They have a Rascal demo but no Ranger but I'm come to realize the Rascal is probably too much bike anyway. I still may rent a Rascal anyway to get a feel for the suspension. Rental is $75/weekend. $75 for 2 days with an awesome bike is never a bad idea.

mtbr member

Thanks for the reply. I was leaning 30mm internal rims if available (they really may not be available). I'm reading the Fox shock has not much love. Suggest swapping out immediately for McLeod? I figure selling new is best as I'll fetch more for it.

There's a shop in Claremont, NH that sells Revel. They have a Rascal demo but no Ranger but I'm come to realize the Rascal is probably too much bike anyway. I still may rent a Rascal anyway to get a feel for the suspension. Rental is $75/weekend. $75 for 2 days with an awesome bike is never a bad idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Iím in your neck of the woods. I donít think the Rascal would be too much bike. I have 140on my pike and would gladly take another chance 10mm out back. Worth a demo. As for rear shock...I have no personal experience except the Cane Creek. I have a DVO on order but may get a Mcleaod to save some ones and weight.

In Transit
    Really? Can you explain? Not doubting you. Just curious what you mean. I'm ignorant. Looking to learn.
    Sure, no problem.

First, Kashima coating provides no tangible performance benefits based on a wide range of rider feedback. I'm sure that Fox material testing shows improved durability, lubricity, and/or less friction but none of that translates to actual ride quality.

Second, the FIT4 damper is expensive, complex, and harsh. It doesn't seem to do anything well and it's finicky to set up properly. The GRIP damper, on the other hand, is cheap and simple but it just ... works. There's a reason that Fox chose to design their high end damper (GRIP2) around the GRIP instead of the FIT4. Speaking of which, Jeff Kendall Weed just mentioned in a video yesterday that he doesn't see a need to upgrade a GRIP fork to GRIP2 unless you're a corner case rider (light/heavy going very slow/fast).

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    ...Kashima coating provides no tangible performance benefits based on a wide range of rider feedback. I'm sure that Fox material testing shows improved durability, lubricity, and/or less friction but none of that translates to actual ride quality.
    To add to this, Kashima was not developed by Fox as a coating for their specific needs, it is an industrial coating they bought into and is primarily a gimmick in this application. It is intended to provide lubricity to dry sliding surfaces by filling the microscopic pores in a hard anodized coating with molybdenum disulfide, and constantly expose fresh moly as the anodization wears away. As the sliding surfaces in suspension components are intended to be lubricated and durable, the moly is irrelevant unless you are woefully neglectful of maintenance.

mtbr member
    Sure, no problem.

First, Kashima coating provides no tangible performance benefits based on a wide range of rider feedback. I'm sure that Fox material testing shows improved durability, lubricity, and/or less friction but none of that translates to actual ride quality.

Second, the FIT4 damper is expensive, complex, and harsh. It doesn't seem to do anything well and it's finicky to set up properly. The GRIP damper, on the other hand, is cheap and simple but it just ... works. There's a reason that Fox chose to design their high end damper (GRIP2) around the GRIP instead of the FIT4. Speaking of which, Jeff Kendall Weed just mentioned in a video yesterday that he doesn't see a need to upgrade a GRIP fork to GRIP2 unless you're a corner case rider (light/heavy going very slow/fast).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for explanation. The article attached is from 2016 but apparently still relevant in 2020/2021? I wasn't buying into the Kashima coating but unsure of the Performance Grip damper vs. Factory Fit 4 damper. I prefer simple especially when it comes to suspension. I'm not into fiddling. Not a suspension savant. The Performance to Factory upgrade is +$333 when buying the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for explanation. The article attached is from 2016 but apparently still relevant in 2020/2021? I wasn't buying into the Kashima coating but unsure of the Performance Grip damper vs. Factory Fit 4 damper. I prefer simple especially when it comes to suspension. I'm not into fiddling. Not a suspension savant. The Performance to Factory upgrade is +$333 when buying the Ripley.
    i agree that kashima has no benefit, at least none that a mortal human being can notice. i got my ripley with grip 34 fork. i later upgraded damper side to fit 4 damper (grip2 was not available for 34 at that time)as no matter what i did, i was not able to get into last 1.5" of travel unless running ridiculously low pressure. (this included tons of setups and damper rebuild first by me and then by the shop. fit4 damper doesnt really feel much different in ride quality to me, but i can get full travel used, thats about the only benefit i see from spending extra $$ on the upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    i agree that kashima has no benefit, at least none that a mortal human being can notice. i got my ripley with grip 34 fork. i later upgraded damper side to fit 4 damper (grip2 was not available for 34 at that time)as no matter what i did, i was not able to get into last 1.5" of travel unless running ridiculously low pressure. (this included tons of setups and damper rebuild first by me and then by the shop. fit4 damper doesnt really feel much different in ride quality to me, but i can get full travel used, thats about the only benefit i see from spending extra $$ on the upgrade.
    Thanks for the comment. I'm reading some people say the Grip is more plush and Fit4 more harsh and finicky. Did you find that? I'm really leaning to the Performance over the Factory and save >$300. Then later earmark that for better wheels. down the road.

Can I ask what you did with the rear shock? Do you used Performance there too, at least initially? I think I may just ride that and swap out later if needed. I could also sell that as new take off and pop in a McLeod (assuming I can find one). Reading this thread Ripley owners are not in love with the DPS and McLeod is clear upgrade.

Thanks for the input. Close to pulling the trigger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the comment. I'm reading some people say the Grip is more plush and Fit4 more harsh and finicky. Did you find that? I'm really leaning to the Performance over the Factory and save >$300. Then later earmark that for better wheels. down the road.

Can I ask what you did with the rear shock? Do you used Performance there too, at least initially? I think I may just ride that and swap out later if needed. I could also sell that as new take off and pop in a McLeod (assuming I can find one). Reading this thread Ripley owners are not in love with the DPS and McLeod is clear upgrade.

Thanks for the input. Close to pulling the trigger.
    i bought with performance, both fork and shock. dps got replaced within 2 weeks with mcleod and is now my backup shock but i probably should sell it as mcleod is really easy to work on and maintain.
    as far as fit4 vs grip, i honestly cant tell much difference. i am not super impressed with either one. i keep thinking of getting manitou mattoc for the front.

In Transit
    Thanks for explanation. The article attached is from 2016 but apparently still relevant in 2020/2021?
    The damper and the fork itself haven't really changed since then, so yes imo. *shrugs*

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone out there get a Ripley delivered in the last couple weeks? Ordered one early July (large, black, XT, factory upgrades), and Ibis keeps saying it's about to ship but never does. At this point it's almost going to just go straight into the basement for the winter. Ugh. Given the crazy year and difficulties in California I wouldn't normally be annoyed, except the shop keeps checking with Ibis for me and Ibis keeps saying "next week", and then next week comes and goes. Originally was suppose to be Sept 1. After a couple weeks past the due date, shop checks in and Ibis says it will ship around Sept 23. Ok, nbd. Then that comes and goes. Shop checks with Ibis. Ibis says it's now going to ship around Oct 16. Now that has come and gone. Still no word.

I keep going back and forth on whether I should cancel my order and take my chances with something else in the Spring. I want to keep the faith here, but I can't help but be frustrated. Maybe next year some actual demos will be available. Plus my preferred local shop has announced they will be carrying Revel bikes in the Spring, which is making me second guess my Ripley order. Ugh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm happy to say I got in 4 rides on my new ripley before the freezing temperatures and snow showed up.

I think I am going to change from a 32T down to a 30T chainring in order to keep up my cadence on steep long climbs.

My question is, will I need to shorten my chain too?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm happy to say I got in 4 rides on my new ripley before the freezing temperatures and snow showed up.

I think I am going to change from a 32T down to a 30T chainring in order to keep up my cadence on steep long climbs.

You're looking at 1" difference in recommended chain length.

Javascript Bicycle Chain Length Calculator

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You're looking at 1" difference in recommended chain length.

Awesome. That really helps! Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

I didnít have to on my previous bike. Yeti 5.5.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Ripley V4 shock upgrades

had the ripley now for 6 weeks. totally blown away by it.
    running fox 36 upfront at 140mm.

wondering what improvements you can recommend over standard shock dps with evol?
    will the dpx 2 offer any advantage?

or something else perhaps?
    i see not too many guys do 190x45

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    If your a heavy rider, the dpx2 takes higher pressures better than the dps. I run a DVO Topaz3 at 190x50 with an offset front shock bushing on mine.
    Last edited by manitunc; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:15 AM. Reason: Sp

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by unitonaripley View Post
    had the ripley now for 6 weeks. totally blown away by it.
    running fox 36 upfront at 140mm.

wondering what improvements you can recommend over standard shock dps with evol?
    will the dpx 2 offer any advantage?

or something else perhaps?
    i see not too many guys do 190x45
    i have owned ripley for over a year and a half now and still blown away everytime i ride. i highly recommend mcleod. i only ran dps for 2 weeks before i switched and it was quite an improvement. i think the bike should come with mcleod stock.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragna View Post
    Anyone out there get a Ripley delivered in the last couple weeks? .
    Yes, black frame-medium from Fanatik. Came in almost a month early-labeled as Oct 31st originally. Only change was I had to upgrade to the factory shock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Ripley 4 for Clydesdales

I'm 6'1" and weight 220lbs before gearing up to ride. I'm not interested in changing or tinkering with the stock rear Fox factory suspension and will likely run a Fox 34 Grip 2 fork (either 130/140 up front). I ride mostly SoCal XC/Trail with smoother trails with some chunk, no jumps/drops. Aspire to get fitter and rider longer, rougher, bigger trails outside my immediate area.

Am I too heavy to get the most or best out of a XL Ripley v4 frame/suspension?

I'm excited about this frame from reading reviews and mid-20lbs weights Plus I could get one today vs. waiting on another brand. Demo's seem to be difficult to come by with Covid so will likely pull the trigger on new frame sight unseen/unridden. My alternative would be waiting for SC Tallboy v4. Heavier but more stout and no complaints from clydes like me that I could find.

Any heavier (200+lbs) riders care to share their thoughts on the Ripley v4 experience good or bad? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by masemoto View Post
    I'm 6'1" and weight 220lbs before gearing up to ride. I'm not interested in changing or tinkering with the stock rear Fox factory suspension and will likely run a Fox 34 Grip 2 fork (either 130/140 up front). I ride mostly SoCal XC/Trail with smoother trails with some chunk, no jumps/drops. Aspire to get fitter and rider longer, rougher, bigger trails outside my immediate area.

I'm excited about this frame from reading reviews and mid-20lbs weights Plus I could get one today vs. waiting on another brand. Demo's seem to be difficult to come by with Covid so will likely pull the trigger on new frame sight unseen/unridden. My alternative would be waiting for SC Tallboy v4. Heavier but more stout and no complaints from clydes like me that I could find.

Any heavier (200+lbs) riders care to share their thoughts on the Ripley v4 experience good or bad? Thanks!

I'm 210lbs (215 kitted im sure). I have a tallboy4 mostly just because its a bit stouter of a frame supopsedly. My bike is setup fairly heavy, dhf/agressor, 140 travel fox 36.

Its awesome.... however having ridden my wifes Ripley I can't help but think a properly sized (large) Ripley I would like more, or better yet a ripmo.

Ripley = Frame is stout enough for me. Rear suspension just feels magical (effecient, like you are hovering over chatter). If your really not going to be going crazy with jumps or drops its freaking amazing... (and robustness wise I cant complain whatsoever about the ripley, the rear suspension is noticeably less progressive though, so a different feel... I can elaborate if you want)

Tallboy4 = Frame is a brick, it wont flex whatsoever at my weight/skill. Sooo much traction. Slightly better finish/frame details than ibis imo.

Ripmo = What I should have bought probably given that I do agressive stuff and that I love love the ripley(however I would have missed an entire summer sooo theres that).

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm 210lbs (215 kitted im sure). I have a tallboy4 mostly just because its a bit stouter of a frame supopsedly. My bike is setup fairly heavy, dhf/agressor, 140 travel fox 36.

Its awesome.... however having ridden my wifes Ripley I can't help but think a properly sized (large) Ripley I would like more, or better yet a ripmo.

Ripley = Frame is stout enough for me. Rear suspension just feels magical (effecient, like you are hovering over chatter). If your really not going to be going crazy with jumps or drops its freaking amazing... (and robustness wise I cant complain whatsoever about the ripley, the rear suspension is noticeably less progressive though, so a different feel... I can elaborate if you want)

Tallboy4 = Frame is a brick, it wont flex whatsoever at my weight/skill. Sooo much traction. Slightly better finish/frame details than ibis imo.

Ripmo = What I should have bought probably given that I do agressive stuff and that I love love the ripley(however I would have missed an entire summer sooo theres that).
    Thanks for the quick response. Sounds like the Ripley is great option even for us bigger riders. I've had a Tallboy v1, v2, 5010 v1 and HB 1 & 2 and wouldn't mind trying a different brand. I guess worst case if I don't like it could swap the frame out for a TB4 or something else down the road. I'm no suspension SME nor do I care to be.. just want it to work. =;-)

Is the Fox 36 Grip2 reduced to 140mm a worthwhile upgrade for the Ripley, and/or my weight or overkill for the frames intended purpose and/or my intended use? Thanks again.

In Transit

My riding weight is over 200lb and no issues with the Ripleyís durability nor suspension performance through chunder and small drops/jumps, though I highly recommend switching out the DPS for a McLeod/Mara. Just got back from a week in Tahoe and the Ripley easily brushed off the boulders and rock gardens there (Van Sickle, Angora, Tahoe Mountain).

Tallboy is heavier and climbs worse but fit and finish is a bit better. Tallboy should be more plush and planted on the descents whereas the Ripley is playful and poppy. I love me some side hits and need all the climbing help I can get so the choice of the Ripley was easy for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My riding weight is over 200lb and no issues with the Ripleyís durability nor suspension performance through chunder and small drops/jumps, though I highly recommend switching out the DPS for a McLeod/Mara. Just got back from a week in Tahoe and the Ripley easily brushed off the boulders and rock gardens there (Van Sickle, Angora, Tahoe Mountain).

Tallboy is heavier and climbs worse but fit and finish is a bit better. Tallboy should be more plush and planted on the descents whereas the Ripley is playful and poppy. I love me some side hits and need all the climbing help I can get so the choice of the Ripley was easy for me.
    Cool, thanks for the second vote of confidence! I'm with you on needing all the climbing help I can get. Thanks for the suggestion on swapping the rear shock. Will consider it.

What are the fit and finish differences you mention? Paint quality?
    Any thoughts on need for a Fox 36 reduced to 140 or is 34 at 140 sufficient?

mtbr member
    Anyone out there get a Ripley delivered in the last couple weeks? Ordered one early July (large, black, XT, factory upgrades), and Ibis keeps saying it's about to ship but never does. At this point it's almost going to just go straight into the basement for the winter. Ugh. Given the crazy year and difficulties in California I wouldn't normally be annoyed, except the shop keeps checking with Ibis for me and Ibis keeps saying "next week", and then next week comes and goes. Originally was suppose to be Sept 1. After a couple weeks past the due date, shop checks in and Ibis says it will ship around Sept 23. Ok, nbd. Then that comes and goes. Shop checks with Ibis. Ibis says it's now going to ship around Oct 16. Now that has come and gone. Still no word.

I keep going back and forth on whether I should cancel my order and take my chances with something else in the Spring. I want to keep the faith here, but I can't help but be frustrated. Maybe next year some actual demos will be available. Plus my preferred local shop has announced they will be carrying Revel bikes in the Spring, which is making me second guess my Ripley order. Ugh.
    I bought the same bike as you except medium in blue. Honestly, I would stick it out. You bought a super bike. Starting over with a new plan and different bike at this point will only push it out further. I ordered a week ago with delivery date of 3/15/21. Many bigger brands are late summer. I heard Salsa 2021 is sold out. Specialized shipping in July. Ripmos shipping July.

In Transit
    Ibis frames are a bit sloppy internally if you look in the BB shell, head tube, seat tube, etc. during assembly (not visible after assembly though), and Santa Cruz have nicer paint and graphics. I threw a Ride Wrap on my bike when I got it so I'm not sure about the durability of Ibis paint these days.

Ibis says that if you're throwing a Fox 36 and/or DPX2 on a Ripley, you should be riding a Ripmo. You could always split the difference (35mm) and get a Pike or Ribbon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I bought the same bike as you except medium in blue. Honestly, I would stick it out. You bought a super bike. Starting over with a new plan and different bike at this point will only push it out further. I ordered a week ago with delivery date of 3/15/21. Many bigger brands are late summer. I heard Salsa 2021 is sold out. Specialized shipping in July. Ripmos shipping July.
    Yeah, I agree this is probably the most rational thing to do, and this is what I keep telling myself. It could be just as hard to find a bike next May. I'm just a little peeved at spending over 7 grand on a bike that will be six months old before I get a single ride in. If I'd known that's how it would turn out, I may not have pulled the trigger. I went through a tiny local shop that doesn't do much volume, and I also can't help but wonder if my order is being treated as second class by Ibis because of that. I think the shop I usually go through (which is a big local Santa Cruz dealer) has a Revel order in for the spring. I ordered the Ripley because I already have a Bronson, and wanted my next N+1 to be a light, efficient ride. But those Rascals look so nice as New England trail bikes, now I'm wondering if it could be the perfect bike to go from a two bike quiver to a one bike quiver. Just a tough call.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the second vote of confidence! I'm with you on needing all the climbing help I can get. Thanks for the suggestion on swapping the rear shock. Will consider it.

I'm in your weight class. Running a Mara IL rear shock/Mezzer Pro fork at 140mm. Very happy with the setup.
    As to the fork, for a big guy there is no downside to running a stouter fork at the same travel. I started with a Fox 34 before I swapped to the Mezzer. It doesn't change the character of the bike just because the crown and stanchions are flexing less. It allows the fork to work better, at a minor weight penalty. Frame stiffness is not an issue with the Ripley so having a better performing fork with a stiffer chassis was all good for me.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Idk, don't really follow ibis's logic on the 34 vs 36 debate. If your a larger dude and you like the feel of the 36 as opposed to the 34... I've ridden the 2021 36 and lots of variations of the 34 (not the 2021 one though, so that is a asterisk) and the 36 grip 2 is just a lot better imo, not even about the flex. It feels like it's just a ton more sensitive / "plush" especially at 140mm as opposed to 130.

Also.. I'll disagree with something someone said about the ripley being poppy. It's lighter and easier to whip around, but the rear suspension is significantly less progressive/"poppy".

You should watch the VitalMTB short travel field test if your considering between the two tbh. It's My favorite review of all these bikes (or at least the ST bikes out at the time). with that said they are more on the agressive rider side of things and it shows in their reviews.

Anyway meandering rant over... the Ripley is freaking amazing. Favorite bike I've ever ridden (it just has strengths and weaknesses). Everyone should just get a Ripley, or a Ripmo if they feel crazy ;P.

In Transit
    Idk, don't really follow ibis's logic on the 34 vs 36 debate. If your a larger dude and you like the feel of the 36 as opposed to the 34... I've ridden the 2021 36 and lots of variations of the 34 (not the 2021 one though, so that is a asterisk) and the 36 grip 2 is just a lot better imo, not even about the flex. It feels like it's just a ton more sensitive / "plush" especially at 140mm as opposed to 130.
    My interpretation is that if you're riding the Ripley to the point that you need the extra stiffness of the 36, you should be on the Ripmo frame because you're in enduro territory at that point. You are talking about something different - small bump sensitivity and plushness. I totally get that because my 34 out of the box was pretty terrible but that's not a fork chassis stiffness issue, that's a negative volume chamber clogging/design issue and potentially a damper design issue. I would say that you could get the performance you liked in the 36 out of a 34 if you got the new GRIP2 version (or even the old GRIP damper), and installed Luftkappe/cleaned out excess grease.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I agree this is probably the most rational thing to do, and this is what I keep telling myself. It could be just as hard to find a bike next May. I'm just a little peeved at spending over 7 grand on a bike that will be six months old before I get a single ride in. If I'd known that's how it would turn out, I may not have pulled the trigger. I went through a tiny local shop that doesn't do much volume, and I also can't help but wonder if my order is being treated as second class by Ibis because of that. I think the shop I usually go through (which is a big local Santa Cruz dealer) has a Revel order in for the spring. I ordered the Ripley because I already have a Bronson, and wanted my next N+1 to be a light, efficient ride. But those Rascals look so nice as New England trail bikes, now I'm wondering if it could be the perfect bike to go from a two bike quiver to a one bike quiver. Just a tough call.
    I looked at Revel too. More the Ranger as I felt the Rascal was more travel than I needed. Also looked at Transition Spur, Evil Following, YT Izzo. I am in New England as well. I thought the Ranger was a better deal than the Ripley when bought built up. $5199 gets you GX but also I9 wheels. I've always done XT but I would be fine with GX but would have likely swapped the Sram brakes for Shimano. I did not demo the Ranger. In the end I preferred the more simple DW of Ibis vs the Ranger's CBF suspension.
    Last edited by Grande; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Why not a Pivot Switchblade? Fit and finish in my opinion better than a Ripley/Ripmo. Pivot is on slight delay for deliveries but not 1/2 as bad as Ibis. SB is clearly 2020 trail bike of the year hands down. I was going to pull trigger on a Ripley but now to get it in May who knows what the V5 will look like by then. May is mid season form here in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Why not a Pivot Switchblade? Fit and finish in my opinion better than a Ripley/Ripmo. Pivot is on slight delay for deliveries but not 1/2 as bad as Ibis. SB is clearly 2020 trail bike of the year hands down. I was going to pull trigger on a Ripley but now to get it in May who knows what the V5 will look like by then. May is mid season form here in the northeast.
    Pivot frames are really nice, but for me personally I want my next bike to be a little on the lighter side (also I hate press fit BBs). My Bronson already handles bike park and enduro duty, so I was originally looking for something a little more XC-ish, but flickable with the chops to bomb blue descents. A bike like the Rascal lives somewhere between a Ripley and a Ripmo/Hightower/Switchblade/etc. Those longer travel bikes are just not ideal on flatter, slower east coast terrain IMHO, even though literally everyone seems to be on them here these days. I will say that of all those bikes in that category, the Pivot is the one I would choose for its more conservative geo. Also, the Rascal comes with Revel's carbon wheels at a much cheaper price point than the Pivot upgrade price, and I believe will drop under 30lbs with lighter tires like the XR4. Not remotely Ripley light, but still reasonable for XC type rides.

I'm not sure where in the Northeast you are, but here in Maine May is definitely not mid-season. Spring is a crapshoot with mud, and many trails are closed through April depending on how much rain we get. Snow in April isn't unusual at all. May is usually the first month you can reliably ride everything without rutting trails up.

mtbr member
    I would check this out. I live in Northern NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0oqIdBqXA8

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I would check this out. I live in Northern NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0oqIdBqXA8
    Imagine if he had a light and poppy Ibis. He would ride like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feEF...ature=emb_logo

In Transit
    Does an XR4 2.6 fit in the rear?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Probably, but I had a 2.6 XR2 that rubbed during big compressions, so if you bottom hard, a XR4 will definitely rub

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I just put an XR4 2.4 on the rear and it measures closer to a 2.3. Not sure if 2.6 is similarly overstated.

In Transit
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsogr View Post
    Probably, but I had a 2.6 XR2 that rubbed during big compressions, so if you bottom hard, a XR4 will definitely rub
    Ugh, thanks. A Forekaster 2.6 did the same. Apparently only Schwalbe 2.6s fit back there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Does an XR4 2.6 fit in the rear?
    I have one on right now and it rubs during g outs, just trying to find a replacement as 2.4 xr4s all sold out.locally......thinking of 2.4 rekon

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I replaced the XR2 with a DHR 2.4 MaxGrip and couldnít be happier. Much better grip and less ďspringy/boingyĒ (less hysteresis)

In Transit
    Quote Originally Posted by rajcoont View Post
    I have one on right now and it rubs during g outs, just trying to find a replacement as 2.4 xr4s all sold out.locally......thinking of 2.4 rekon

XR4 is closer to a Forekaster or Nobby Nic IMO. Donít let the Maxxis marketing dissuade you from trying a FK. A local shop since summer has been saying Nov for their new XR4 delivery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    XR4 is closer to a Forekaster or Nobby Nic IMO. Donít let the Maxxis marketing dissuade you from trying a FK. A local shop since summer has been saying Nov for their new XR4 delivery.
    I have two barely used XR 29x2.4 Iíd be happy to part with. Iíd say between FK and NN. NN has more bite. XR4 rolls better.

Formerly of Kent
    I have two barely used XR 29x2.4 Iíd be happy to part with. Iíd say between FK and NN. NN has more bite. XR4 rolls better.

Team Issue?

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Team Issue?

yes. Team Issue. Had to hunt them down. I used for maybe 3-4 rides before replacing with something more aggressive

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi, trying to decide between Manitou Mara IL and DVO Topaz to replace the DPS on my Ripley. (Canít find a 190*45 mcleod anywhere in europe). Anyone who has experience on both mcleod/ mara and topaz on their ripley? I have a DVO sapphire 34 fork, so Topaz interests me to have it full DVO, but if Mara is better performance wise, Iíd choose that of course. Thanks for any insights!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    My tire needs are a bit at odds with one another at moment. A month left in riding season if im lucky in Eastern Canada. Getting wet and slippery with leaves now, but my ride to trails is 10km each way on paved roads so i am looking for something fast rolling for tarmac but grippy once into the leafy wet dirt.......xr4 has been a good compromise, not much maxxis experience outside the dhf slow rollers, any suggestions what to consider?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    loving my new ripley. but when i picked it up from the bike shop and took it out for the first spin in the parking lot the shifting was sh*t.

i had to take it back in to the mechanic three times on that initial pick up before it would hold all the gears and shift okay.

it still doesn't shift great. it's not as crisp, positive, etc as some lower trim shimano bike's i've ridden.

the Ripley is Shimano XT

i'm going to take it back into the shop and could use some advice on what it is i should ask them to do.

will a simple re-tune/adjustment be sufficient, or it also possible that they didn't put in the optimal chain length, cable length, etc so that i should be asking that they effectively rebuild the new drive train with new parts (chain, cable, etc)?

it's a large shop here in Los Angeles that sells a lot of good brands, so i will ask that they give it to their mechanic who knows what he is doing (hopefully they have one...)

also, is there another area of the bike that a low-knowledge mechanic might have mucked up such that i should ask them to take a look at that too? shifting is the only thing i've noticed. everything else is operating fine best i can tell.

thank you for your input!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    An xt should shift perfectly if properly set up. Just built up mine and setting up shifting was maybe ten minutes. Check to see if your cassette is on tight and derailleur hanger is not bent.i

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I am using DVO Topaz 3 on mine with DVO Diamond up front. Much nicer than the stock DPS and Fox 34

In Transit
    My tire needs are a bit at odds with one another at moment. A month left in riding season if im lucky in Eastern Canada. Getting wet and slippery with leaves now, but my ride to trails is 10km each way on paved roads so i am looking for something fast rolling for tarmac but grippy once into the leafy wet dirt.......xr4 has been a good compromise, not much maxxis experience outside the dhf slow rollers, any suggestions what to consider?
    I canít advise on wet and slippery performance because we mostly have dusty, dry hardpack around here but the Forekaster, Nobby Nic, and XR4 (descending order of traction, but close) are pretty similar in my collective experience, and itís really my sweet spot for rear tire traction/rolling resistance. I threw an Aggressor out back for exactly one ride - the traction was insanely good but I felt like I was towing my kid on every climb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I canít advise on wet and slippery performance because we mostly have dusty, dry hardpack around here but the Forekaster, Nobby Nic, and XR4 (descending order of traction, but close) are pretty similar in my collective experience, and itís really my sweet spot for rear tire traction/rolling resistance. I threw an Aggressor out back for exactly one ride - the traction was insanely good but I felt like I was towing my kid on every climb.
    Thanks for the info, going to take a look at getting a forekaster rear tire, happen to know if the 2.6 fits without rubbing on the ripley?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Not Maxxis, but I have been pretty happy with Vittoria Mazza 2.6 (f) and Martello 2.6 (r) for a similar use case of riding tarmac to wet leafy trails on my Ripley. Trail casing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDisco View Post
    loving my new ripley. but when i picked it up from the bike shop and took it out for the first spin in the parking lot the shifting was sh*t.

i had to take it back in to the mechanic three times on that initial pick up before it would hold all the gears and shift okay.

it still doesn't shift great. it's not as crisp, positive, etc as some lower trim shimano bike's i've ridden.

the Ripley is Shimano XT

i'm going to take it back into the shop and could use some advice on what it is i should ask them to do.

will a simple re-tune/adjustment be sufficient, or it also possible that they didn't put in the optimal chain length, cable length, etc so that i should be asking that they effectively rebuild the new drive train with new parts (chain, cable, etc)?

it's a large shop here in Los Angeles that sells a lot of good brands, so i will ask that they give it to their mechanic who knows what he is doing (hopefully they have one...)

also, is there another area of the bike that a low-knowledge mechanic might have mucked up such that i should ask them to take a look at that too? shifting is the only thing i've noticed. everything else is operating fine best i can tell.

The Shimano 12 speed stuff is crazy easy to set up and get shifting perfectly. If you have been back that many times and they haven't figured it out, I might bite the bullet and take it to another shop that might be better.

Better yet, learn to do it yourself. You can save a lot of time and $$$ being able to maintain this stuff at home. All the info is online to learn how to install and maintain a drivetrain.

As said before, simple things like bent hanger, loose cassette, poor chain length or a kinked shifter line can cause a lot of shifting issues. All items that should be VERY easy for a bike shop to diagnose and fix...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDisco View Post

the Ripley is Shimano XT

That is really disappointing to hear. I bought my SLX-build and built it myself. It was my first time installing a 12sp drivetrain and it went together and works flawlessly. If would ask them to see if they cut the chain to the right length (if you google 12sp chain length, you will see some good videos/images on what the rear Der. should look like when its in the largest gear). Sorry to hear that - Hopefully they get you working quickly. Btw, the only change I made to my SLX build was the XT shifter (and its fantastic)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I second everything you just said - Save $, know your bike well, and be able to keep it dialed in.

In Transit
    Thanks for the info, going to take a look at getting a forekaster rear tire, happen to know if the 2.6 fits without rubbing on the ripley?
    Forekaster 2.6 definitely rubs in the last 20% of rear suspension travel because the Maxxis 2.6 casing is taller but slightly narrower than the Schwalbe 2.6 casing. This is unfortunate because I liked the Forekaster back there even more than my beloved Nobby Nic. The 2.35 versions just sink in the sand/loose and don't give me any noticeable efficiency benefits elsewhere.

In Transit
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher98 View Post
    If would ask them to see if they cut the chain to the right length (if you google 12sp chain length, you will see some good videos/images on what the rear Der. should look like when its in the largest gear).
    This is easy to check yourself if you have quick link pliers:
    * shift to smallest cog (highest gear)
    * release clutch
    * break chain at quick link and remove link
    * remove chain from derailleur
    * wrap chain around largest cog and chainring
    * size chain to overlap by two full links (one link = one set of inner and outer links) including quick link
    * route chain through derailleur and reattach quick link
    * rotate cranks so that quick link is above chainstay
    * hold brakes and push down on pedal to pop quick link into locked position
    * engage clutch

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    dont forget to account for chain growth that occurs when suspension is fully compressed. this will require usually a slightly longer chain than would be apparent when sizing when suspension is fully extended and static.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Shimano specifies that the suspension should be fully extended when measuring for chain length.

Per Shimano, with the chain NOT run through the derailleur, just wrapped around the chain ring and largest rear cog, there should be 5-6 extra links + the quick-link. That's for a full suspension bike, hardtails are 4-5 extra links + the quick-link.

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-MARD001-00-ENG.pdf

page 11 will show you exactly how it should look.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Shimano specifies that the suspension should be fully extended when measuring for chain length.

Per Shimano, with the chain NOT run through the derailleur, just wrapped around the chain ring and largest rear cog, there should be 5-6 extra links + the quick-link. That's for a full suspension bike, hardtails are 4-5 extra links + the quick-link.

This is how I did it and it worked perfectly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    not all FS bikes are the same though. some have more chain growth than others. i like using this calc taking into account full chainstay length at full compression:

for reference i end up running 112 links on a ripmo on a XTR 30/51. i have to be slightly careful bottoming out in 1st gear; its on the tight side.

mtbr member

I followed this guide when building my Ripley with XT components. It works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roto599 View Post
    Hi, trying to decide between Manitou Mara IL and DVO Topaz to replace the DPS on my Ripley. (Canít find a 190*45 mcleod anywhere in europe). Anyone who has experience on both mcleod/ mara and topaz on their ripley?
    Interested to read the responses. Iím considering the same.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    Interested to read the responses. Iím considering the same.
    Same here. I'm very interested in the Topaz T3 for my Ripley.

Didn't someone say they are running a 190x50 Topaz on their Ripley?

I would love to hear more about that setup if they are.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Same here. I'm very interested in the Topaz T3 for my Ripley.

Didn't someone say they are running a 190x50 Topaz on their Ripley?

I would love to hear more about that setup if they are.
    I have one on order. Gonna be a long wait until April/May

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by manitunc View Post
    If your a heavy rider, the dpx2 takes higher pressures better than the dps. I run a DVO Topaz3 at 190x50 with an offset front shock bushing on mine.
    Hi, I assume you are happy with the Topaz? Have you measured/ calculated how much rear travel you gain with the extra 5mm stroke and offset bushing? Would you go this route again, if you were buying Topaz now with 190*45 being an available option nowadays? Thanks!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Just switched the stock shock that came on my medium ripley(light tune) to a dps off a pivot trail 429. First of all, I was able to run 30 psi less to achieve the same sag. 230 now down to 200 and might drop 5psi more. The stiffness is extremely noticeable after the first ride but I need to throw it into some proper chunk to seal the deal. Just another option for you out there. Best part is that I was able to pick it up for $150 on pinkbike. Not bad just to experiment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Just switched the stock shock that came on my medium ripley(light tune) to a dps off a pivot trail 429. First of all, I was able to run 30 psi less to achieve the same sag. 230 now down to 200 and might drop 5psi more. The stiffness is extremely noticeable after the first ride but I need to throw it into some proper chunk to seal the deal. Just another option for you out there. Best part is that I was able to pick it up for $150 on pinkbike. Not bad just to experiment.
    Nice idea.
    btw: I'll have a new Fox DPS shock taken off a new large Ripley within a few weeks if anyone wants to try this same solution. I'm going with the DPX2.

mtbr member
    I bought a Ripley earlier last month with estimated delivery of 3/15/21. I am reading all the posts that are negative about the Fox suspension and DPS shock in particular. I opted for the Factory fork (+$333) and shock (+$166). Apparently I can modify my order and the bike is still 4 months from delivery. Iím really curious about all the nonlove here. Can some explain this? Is Fox suspension really that lousy? Is the issue with heavier riders? Iím light at 155lbs. This will be my first FS bike and I mostly rode rigid. Looking for some education here.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I bought a Ripley earlier last month with estimated delivery of 3/15/21. I am reading all the posts that are negative about the Fox suspension and DPS shock in particular. I opted for the Factory fork (+$333) and shock (+$166). Apparently I can modify my order and the bike is still 4 months from delivery. Iím really curious about all the nonlove here. Can some explain this? Is Fox suspension really that lousy? Is the issue with heavier riders? Iím light at 155lbs. This will be my first FS bike and I mostly rode rigid. Looking for some education here.
    I think the DPS is fine for basic trail riding, but when you get just a touch more aggressive with longer downhills and larger, square-edge hits, it leaves you wanting more. Successive large, high-speed hits makes it feel skiddish/harsh.

I actually just but an EXT Storia on my Ripley and it is amazing what a shock can do. Itís odd, but this coil somehow made it even more poppy, aided in acceleration/climbing (less wallowing), but at speed is much smoother, providing a ton of traction. Large hits on the coil still bottom very hard (similar to DPS, even with the hydraulic bottom out), and I wonít say that itís any more plush at lower, pedaling speed when you hit small rocks.

Overall, super happy with the EXT Storia, but fully realize thatís a huge price to pay. Other alternatives mentioned in this thread seem like great options - Manitou McLeod/Mara & Avalanche Tuned DPS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member

2019 Ibis Ripley V4

Anyone experiment with volume spacers before just throwing on a different shock? I am 150lbs and noticed a large improvement going up to the .8 spacer from the stock .6. I think the 1.0 may be really good for helping with the high speed/larger hits.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I think the DPS is fine for basic trail riding, but when you get just a touch more aggressive with longer downhills and larger, square-edge hits, it leaves you wanting more. Successive large, high-speed hits makes it feel skiddish/harsh.

I actually just but an EXT Storia on my Ripley and it is amazing what a shock can do. Itís odd, but this coil somehow made it even more poppy, aided in acceleration/climbing (less wallowing), but at speed is much smoother, providing a ton of traction. Large hits on the coil still bottom very hard (similar to DPS, even with the hydraulic bottom out), and I wonít say that itís any more plush at lower, pedaling speed when you hit small rocks.

Overall, super happy with the EXT Storia, but fully realize thatís a huge price to pay. Other alternatives mentioned in this thread seem like great options - Manitou McLeod/Mara & Avalanche Tuned DPS.

Didnít know youíd finally got the EXT. Mine is still going strong. What weight are you and which spring are you running?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Oh yea, just arrived last weekend, so had my first and only ride on it Wednesday. Iím 170 lbs on a L frame and I think the spring is 525 (not at home to verify). My settings from open:

Spring 1 rotation preloaded (My rough sag estimate was ~22%)
    HSC +2
    LSC +4
    R +9

Again, only one ride in, but very happy. I want a little more compliance on the small stuff, so I may unwind the spring or decrease the LSC.

mtbr member
    Donít worry about it. All the amazing reviews and reputation were with the stock fox suspension - I personally would get the fork raised to 140(itís cheap to do). Mostly to raise bottom bracket.

Ibis is a company that has a lot of very loyal, obsessive followers who obsess over everything and like to constantly tinker and find ďthe best for usĒ - myself included.

I would say that properly setting up AND maintaining suspension is far more important then the difference btw a dps and something else. So many people never service there suspension. Or wait till itís leaking oil/air. Itís expensive, but why spend 5-10k on a bike and not keep it well maintained. I always notice such a huge difference when I service my suspension - I often wonder how much of the difference of new equipment is just that itís in perfect working condition.

That being said I will probably replace my rear suspension in the hopes that it will improve my experience on the 1% of my riding on high speed chunk for my fat 200lb ass. Now just need to decide on Fox Dpx vs topaz vs Mara IL.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Donít worry about it. All the amazing reviews and reputation were with the stock fox suspension - I personally would get the fork raised to 140(itís cheap to do). Mostly to raise bottom bracket.

Ibis is a company that has a lot of very loyal, obsessive followers who obsess over everything and like to constantly tinker and find ďthe best for usĒ - myself included.

I would say that properly setting up AND maintaining suspension is far more important then the difference btw a dps and something else. So many people never service there suspension. Or wait till itís leaking oil/air. Itís expensive, but why spend 5-10k on a bike and not keep it well maintained. I always notice such a huge difference when I service my suspension - I often wonder how much of the difference of new equipment is just that itís in perfect working condition.

That being said I will probably replace my rear suspension in the hopes that it will improve my experience on the 1% of my riding on high speed chunk for my fat 200lb ass. Now just need to decide on Fox Dpx vs topaz vs Mara IL.
    I agree. I am replacing the DPS with a DVO, but the DPS works fine for literally everything but high speed chunk. If I regularly rode long, rough descents where you can open the throttle, I'd want a different rear shock with more capacity and ability to recover from repeated big hits.

mtbr member

Glad someone said this. It is so honest and true and it's good to keep things in perspective. This is often an OCDers forum - and I count myself in that.

In Transit
    I would say that properly setting up AND maintaining suspension is far more important then the difference btw a dps and something else. So many people never service there suspension. Or wait till itís leaking oil/air.
    I agree. I am replacing the DPS with a DVO, but the DPS works fine for literally everything but high speed chunk. If I regularly rode long, rough descents where you can open the throttle, I'd want a different rear shock with more capacity and ability to recover from repeated big hits.
    The DPS seems perfectly adequate (in my experience) until you replace it with something better. The Mcleod/Mara simply performs better everywhere, not just on long chunky descents, because it sits higher in its travel and the damper doesn't get overwhelmed like the DPS. A lot of harshness that I thought was coming from the front end was actually coming from the DPS falling down on the back end.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have been riding this bike for about 6 weeks now. Ive owned a few bikes in the past with rear shocks i never got along with and am well versed in tweaking tinkering and frustration with shocks, so after reading this forum was prepared for more of the same

"Shockingly" i have zero complaints with the DPS. Maybe the mcleod is even better but i have no problems with the shock and i have never been able to say that about a bike before. Happy ripley times!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Oh yea, just arrived last weekend, so had my first and only ride on it Wednesday. Iím 170 lbs on a L frame and I think the spring is 525 (not at home to verify). My settings from open:

Spring 1 rotation preloaded (My rough sag estimate was ~22%)
    HSC +2
    LSC +4
    R +9

Again, only one ride in, but very happy. I want a little more compliance on the small stuff, so I may unwind the spring or decrease the LSC.

Cool. I am 150 with 500 lbs spring. Would need to check the other settings because they have been in place for a long time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Haha if you're coming from a rigid, the stock DPS is gonna feel AMAZING. Honestly I was pretty worried too after reading all these posts and my prior experience with Fox inline shocks, but I'm around 150lbs like you on a size Large Ripley with non-Traction tune Performance DPS and it feels pretty dang good. I will say it made a rather noticeable difference for the better to go from 180psi (~25% sag) initially down to 173psi (~27% sag). No wallow, pretty good on chatter, small drops leave about 8mm of unused shock stroke. At my weight, it actually takes a rather large huck to use up all of the travel on the shock - I've only done it once so far in about 10 rides on an awkward landing. That being said, I'm still curious how good a Manitou shock is based on posts - will prob try it next year when they become more available.

I'm on a 140mm Pike Ultimate up front. No complaints there but I think the prior year air spring was better - I have to run a bit more sag on it than I would like to make it feel as compliant, so it's more like a 130mm fork

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am the same weight as you and am very happy with my Factory grip 2 fork. I had to clean excessive slick honey out of it before it worked well but after that I have been really impressed. I was entirely underwhelmed by the factory dps shock and ended up swapping it out. This is my 5th full suspension bike and the first time I have ever swapped a rear shock. Iíve never even sent a shock off for a custom tune so I am not a chronic suspension tinkerer that expects perfection. I could not get along with the bike until I went another route. I feel like the vital mtb review best explains how I used to feel on the bike. A manitou McLeod alleviated all my issues. The one thing I really wanted to try was putting a larger volume spacer in but I couldnít find any in stock and found the McLeod for a good price.

jrm
    mtbr member

If..Ibis

went with DVO like they did on the Ripmo AF the ripley would be a winner. Or just make it an option...please..

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    went with DVO like they did on the Ripmo AF the ripley would be a winner. Or just make it an option...please..
    Did someone try different shocks on their Ripley? How does DVO Topaz, Manitou McLeod, Manitou Mara, Fox DPS, Fox DPX2 and Cane Creek DB IL stand against each other?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by H-akka View Post
    Did someone try different shocks on their Ripley? How does DVO Topaz, Manitou McLeod, Manitou Mara, Fox DPS, Fox DPX2 and Cane Creek DB IL stand against each other?
    Not to be a jerk, but there are pages of Brakke regarding different shocks tested. Just search for them.

jrm
    mtbr member

The additional

L/HSC adjustability makes a big difference between the DPS pref and factory. Or it did for me but im heavier and had to mess with volume spacers and such but in the long run it works well YMMV. Havin said that i do run a DVO sapphire 31 S1 up front @ 140 and would love to find a shock that would allow me a better balanced experience...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Not to be a jerk, but there are pages of Brakke regarding different shocks tested. Just search for them.

Iíve been following this thread and others and while there are many comments about replacing dps shock they all seem to fall into
    ďDps is a piece of crap holding bike back - I got x shock and now itís totally transformed the bike. Itís just better in every wayĒ

I am ready to try a new shock but really am lost on whichone - dpx, vs Mara vs topaz. But none of them are in stock anyway.

jrm
    mtbr member

Thing about a140 fork

on the ripley is that it makes it harder to tune that rear dps factory shock with only 45mm of stroke. And once you think you you found balance you also find the rear end chattering under braking and high frequency hits. And then when you look at the rest of the offerings with this much rear travel you see a lot of um are fitted with DPXs to overcome the very chatter i spoke of..

I love having the 140 up front it adds stability and plants the bike but i cant say the same for the rear. YMMV..

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Anyone looking for a Manitou Mara and know when they plan to be back in stock?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    And once you think you you found balance you also find the rear end chattering under braking and high frequency hits.
    Yup... this. Going to be a long winter waiting to ride my Ripley again with a new shock

mtbr member
    May 2019
    A bunch of Ripleys have been showing up in stock. I just bought a medium GX online.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cisko213 View Post
    Need Help? Decided to go all in on the Ripley. Are the shocks worth upgrading to the float factory series with Kashima coat? Or since I can't tell the difference don't bother. I'm also gonna upgrade the wheelset. 29mm or 35mm internal width. I've made the mistake of regretting what I buy because I cheap out. Id rather just buy it all now and get it over with. But only if its worth it. I know you can eventually upgrade the front fork shock. thanks for the replies
    i would get cheapest shock option, which is performance package dps and 34. sell shock or keep as backup and get mcleod. you could also get rid of 34 and get something better. i am seriously considering mezzer now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
    A bunch of Ripleys have been showing up in stock. I just bought a medium GX online.
    YEP. My late-July order (large, SLX build) is finally shipping to the LBS.

jrm
    mtbr member

You can

ask to be notified when there available on the hayes website. I did so for the meleod and mara

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    ask to be notified when there available on the hayes website. I did so for the meleod and mara
    I did...just curious if anyone knew a date

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Iíve been following this thread and others and while there are many comments about replacing dps shock they all seem to fall into
    ďDps is a piece of crap holding bike back - I got x shock and now itís totally transformed the bike. Itís just better in every wayĒ

I am ready to try a new shock but really am lost on whichone - dpx, vs Mara vs topaz. But none of them are in stock anyway.
    Iím pretty sure that if the Ripley was fitted with a brand X shock you would find plenty of comment like ďbrand X is a piece of crap holding bike back - I got a DPS shock and now itís totally transformed the bike. Itís just better in every wayĒ

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Very stoked to have purchased a medium Ripley GX last night. I feel bad bot buying locally but they told me April was the earliest I could get one. I have no clue how it all works. Aside from my local bike shop guilt, I can't believe I was able to find one!

I am going all 29er at this point having replaced a Pivot Mach 4 Carbon with 27.5 wheels. The bike just knocked around to easily often punishing me for small mental lapses. From what I can tell the ripley should deliver in the weight department just like the Pivot, but will be much smoother and stable. I upgraded to XT 4 pots and factory shocks but will probably end up on a long term weight loss program. Wheels would be first on the list. Might not end up caring either way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
    Very stoked to have purchased a medium Ripley GX last night. I feel bad bot buying locally but they told me April was the earliest I could get one. I have no clue how it all works. Aside from my local bike shop guilt, I can't believe I was able to find one!

I am going all 29er at this point having replaced a Pivot Mach 4 Carbon with 27.5 wheels. The bike just knocked around to easily often punishing me for small mental lapses. From what I can tell the ripley should deliver in the weight department just like the Pivot, but will be much smoother and stable. I upgraded to XT 4 pots and factory shocks but will probably end up on a long term weight loss program. Wheels would be first on the list. Might not end up caring either way.
    Congrats on finding a bike and your purchase. Take your time on the upgrades/swap-outs and enjoy the bike. You may find the bike works well for you as is.

Sent from the singletrack...
    Sent from the singletrack...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Contest View Post
    Iím pretty sure that if the Ripley was fitted with a brand X shock you would find plenty of comment like ďbrand X is a piece of crap holding bike back - I got a DPS shock and now itís totally transformed the bike. Itís just better in every wayĒ
    So going from a more capable shock that was stock to a less capable shock Pepe buy on their own would cause people to like the less capable shock?

In Transit
    I was reminded on my ride today of another area where the DPS would totally poop the bed on me - short, punchy climbs. It would sit deep in its travel and bounce I guess as I tried to spin the cranks -I would end up stalling out or spinning the rear tire. The Mara sits high in its travel in these situations and makes what used to be challenging sections into something unremarkable. I am around 200lb ready to ride, so I may have just been overwhelming the DPS damper with the original tune (pre-Traction Tune).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I was reminded on my ride today of another area where the DPS would totally poop the bed on me - short, punchy climbs. It would sit deep in its travel and bounce I guess as I tried to spin the cranks -I would end up stalling out or spinning the rear tire. The Mara sits high in its travel in these situations and makes what used to be challenging sections into something unremarkable. I am around 200lb ready to ride, so I may have just been overwhelming the DPS damper with the original tune (pre-Traction Tune).

I can see that for a 200 pounder. I'm 150lbs on a large and the regular tune DPS shock in open mode seems about right for me for compression tune. It's not completely amazing, but it does feel pretty good - and I've ridden other bikes with CC Inline, CC DBCoil IL, SD. Only the coil felt noticeably smoother and that was on a 140mm bike. I will say the Performance DPS on this Ripley feels WAY better than the Factory DPS I had on the prior gen Optic (110mm travel).

Anyone with similar stats to me still think the Manitou shocks are significantly better, or is it only the heavyweights that think so?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm 145 pounds and tried the Manitou Mara and DPX2 with Traction Tune. I just fell for all the BS I read on here but for my weight, the DPS with Traction Tune is as good as anything else. Just gotta tune some rebound damping into it with about 7 clicks or I'll bounce all over the place.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Contest View Post
    100% this. I have not ridden the DPS yet, but I rode its precursor, the float CTD, for 5 years on a 150mm bike in some chunky, gnarly stuff including bike park trips. By all accounts the DPS is an improvement. Was the CTD great? Nope. It was firm, kinda harsh over chatter, and got a little sketchy on rough stuff at high speed, but I never had a bad ride because of it, or a crash I could lay at its feet. People aren't necessarily wrong - it's an XC shock and no doubt has very real limits - but a lot of the complaining is the shock upgrade equivalent of being a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    I can see that for a 200 pounder. I'm 150lbs on a large and the regular tune DPS shock in open mode seems about right for me for compression tune. It's not completely amazing, but it does feel pretty good - and I've ridden other bikes with CC Inline, CC DBCoil IL, SD. Only the coil felt noticeably smoother and that was on a 140mm bike. I will say the Performance DPS on this Ripley feels WAY better than the Factory DPS I had on the prior gen Optic (110mm travel).

Anyone with similar stats to me still think the Manitou shocks are significantly better, or is it only the heavyweights that think so?
    i think its also about the way you ride and the trails you ride. with mcleod, you will feel noticeable improvement if you like to ride chunkier trails at speeds. we have a lot of them around here so going to mcleod was definitely improvement over dps. plus for me a big part about mcleod is tuneability, and ease of maintenance. you can play with shim stacks if you are into it and its very easy, plus you dont need to send it out when the time for maintenance comes as it is simple 15min process in your garage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Im over 200 lbs and have no complaints with the stock DPS, im very happy with how it performs.

Hit lots of jumps and drops, and i have cleaned every climb on my local loop for the first time ever, so up and down its working great for me

Last edited by rajcoont; 1 Week Ago at 03:01 PM.

In Transit
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    I'm 145 pounds and tried the Manitou Mara and DPX2 with Traction Tune. I just fell for all the BS I read on here but for my weight, the DPS with Traction Tune is as good as anything else. Just gotta tune some rebound damping into it with about 7 clicks or I'll bounce all over the place.
    It was not BS in my case but you reminded me of something that Steve from Vorsprung wrote about factory suspension - itís tuned to move under a 65kg rider (i.e. not feel overdamped). This will typically make it feel underdamped for heavier riders if thereís not enough range of adjustability. Makes sense that itís going to be easier to sell an underdamped bike than an overdamped bike though. What is kind of strange is Ibisí decision to go to an even lighter tune on the Ripleyís DPS after a year given that complaints about overdamping did not seem prevalent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I am curious if there would be less people unsatisfied with the rear shock performance if there was a little bit more wiggle room out back travel wise. Maybe an extra 5mm given its current tune and leverage ratio. My Ripley still has not come in yet but I did bottom it out once during my demo ride and Iím not that aggressive of an rider. I weigh about 163 lbs all geared up. I also demoed the Tallboy which has the same rear travel and riding the same trails I still had 5mm or so left unused.

Regardless I loved the agile feeling of the Ripley here on the east coast. It really does a great job on the technical climbs and our rolling terrain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by neb636 View Post
    I am curious if there would be less people unsatisfied with the rear shock performance if there was a little bit more wiggle room out back travel wise. Maybe an extra 5mm given its current tune and leverage ratio. My Ripley still has not come in yet but I did bottom it out once during my demo ride and Iím not that aggressive of an rider. I weigh about 163 lbs all geared up. I also demoed the Tallboy which has the same rear travel and riding the same trails I still had 5mm or so left unused.

Regardless I loved the agile feeling of the Ripley here on the east coast. It really does a great job on the technical climbs and our rolling terrain.
    While Iíd like more travel (10mm please) Iím not sure itís the answer for peopleís complaints about the backend. There is something about braking and speed over chop that overwhelms the bike with DPS. I donít know if it will be that way with something else or not but weíll see. Itís real for me at 175lbs. Is it a deal breaker? No, but itís noticeable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've been riding my Ripley V4 now for a couple of weeks. The bike has eaten everything up and while at first I thought the DPS wasn't going to work, over time I've grown to really enjoy it.

I've done around eight rides in Northwest Arkansas. If you're familiar with the area, I've ridden: Mt. Kessler, Centennial Park, Coler, Slaughterpen, Hobbs, and Little Sugar. That's a good mix of tech, flow, chunk, and jumps. I ride fairly fast, like to jump, and I'm not afraid to charge chunky lines. The Ripley has handled the tech of Kessler and the jumps at Coler and felt great on all of it. I hit the "smaller" drop at Coler and I almost did Drop the Hammer but decided to wait until a day with fresh legs. The bike can take it.

For reference, I'm about 155 all kitted up and I have a 140mm Fox 36 Grip2 upfront because I swapped all the parts from a Transition Smuggler over onto the Ripley.

Is it a magic carpet? No. Did I bottom it out? Yes. But the poppy nature of the DPS is really something else. Every little undulation in the trail can be jumped. On the fast chunk it has more of a skipping feel rather than a trophy truck feel, but that's to be expected from any 120mm bike. I like this thing.

mtbr member
    Ripley People,

I want a Ripley. I just do. But, I also have an Epic Evo. So I need to be somewhat practical about this. Question: Is there too much overlap between these bikes, or can the Ripley be my trail bike while the Evo is my XC race/marathon bike?

I've been looking for 130mm trail bikes. Nothing is resonating, and I keep coming back to the Ripley. I live in Michigan, and for me bikes >130mm rear have no place. But something that I could ride here regularly, and on occasion take out West, Moab, Pisgah, etc. would be sweet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    the ripley will probably make you realize how poorly the epic evo pedals for what it is. and (probably) how flexy it is. sorry not sorry.

rumors are ibis will release an XC version at some point. buy the ripley and see how you like it. keep the epic evo until you decide whether you can live with the extra weight on the ripley as a marathon bike and/or until ibis releases a marathon bike.

OR just build the ripley with a 140mm fork and four-piston front brakes and trail tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    the ripley will probably make you realize how poorly the epic evo pedals for what it is. sorry not sorry
    Awww, c'mon. The Evo is a blast!

*Edit* Also two bottles. BOOM!

But yes. The Ripley would be more trail spec if I were to build one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    haha no doubt. its a compelling formula. and two bottles are super nice.

if you end up getting a ripley, i'm curious to hear how you compare the two.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    haha no doubt. its a compelling formula. and two bottles are super nice.

if you end up getting a ripley, i'm curious to hear how you compare the two.
    The amount of overlap is inversely related to the size of your budget.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Got a message this past Friday from my local bike shop here on the East coast that my gfís mojo shipped from Ibis! My Ripley was supposed to come one month earlier than the mojo 😂 but it didnít play out that way. Maybe because my build is xt and hers slx? Idk. Either way mine should be imminent. Iím pretty stoked. Quick question: (specific to those youíve ordered on the east coast) How long did it take for your bike to get to your shop once shipped? Ie Does Ibis ship regular ground or expedited? Iím getting excited even though the winter is upon us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mluisgr81 View Post
    Got a message this past Friday from my local bike shop here on the East coast that my gfís mojo shipped from Ibis! My Ripley was supposed to come one month earlier than the mojo  but it didnít play out that way. Maybe because my build is xt and hers slx? Idk. Either way mine should be imminent. Iím pretty stoked. Quick question: (specific to those youíve ordered on the east coast) How long did it take for your bike to get to your shop once shipped? Ie Does Ibis ship regular ground or expedited? Iím getting excited even though the winter is upon us.
    I'm on the east coast. Ordered bike 10/20/20. Estimated ship date 3/15/20 when I ordered. Not exactly answering your question but that's what I got.

In Transit
    Quote Originally Posted by Mluisgr81 View Post
    Got a message this past Friday from my local bike shop here on the East coast that my gfís mojo shipped from Ibis! My Ripley was supposed to come one month earlier than the mojo  but it didnít play out that way. Maybe because my build is xt and hers slx? Idk. Either way mine should be imminent. Iím pretty stoked. Quick question: (specific to those youíve ordered on the east coast) How long did it take for your bike to get to your shop once shipped? Ie Does Ibis ship regular ground or expedited? Iím getting excited even though the winter is upon us.
    Could be based on size as well. S and XL tend to have better/quicker availability than M and L.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ah yes, thatís true. Hers is a small and mine is a medium. Either way, Iíve got my fingers crossed the Ripley is near.

mtbr member

New question here. ? Schwalbe Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic

Curious if anyone received their Ripley with the Schwalbe Hans Dampf & Nobby Nic tires. Theses are listed as the Apex TL-Easy 29x2.35 at the Ibis website. When I ordered my Ripley it was the only option available. The Maxxis Assegai 2.5 option at the Ibis site was not available when ordering. Can someone tell me exactly what version these are? Performance or Evolution line? Thoughts on how they liked these?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Curious if anyone received their Ripley with the Schwalbe Hans Dampf & Nobby Nic tires. Theses are listed as the Apex TL-Easy 29x2.35 at the Ibis website. When I ordered my Ripley it was the only option available. The Max Assegai 2.5 option at the Ibis site was not available when ordering. Can someone tell me exactly what version these are? Performance or Evolution line? Thoughts on how they liked these?

Thanks
    Without looking them up, the Apex version for all of their tires adds extra protection over the snakeskin. They do get heavy with the Apex. I have generally always thought the Hans is a solid tire. The NN can be flaky. Some love and some hate the NN.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Going full trail mode with my V4. Just received a 2021 DPX2 and a 2020 Fox 36 setup with 130mm of travel is headed my way. My Ripley is gonna be a 28 pound trail wizard.

Just wanted to share my stoke. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by distortion10 View Post
    Going full trail mode with my V4. Just received a 2021 DPX2 and a 2020 Fox 36 setup with 130mm of travel is headed my way. My Ripley is gonna be a 28 pound trail wizard.

Just wanted to share my stoke. Thanks
    I did something similar with my Ripmo V2 build. Its got a Lyrik and rear insert and comes in at 28lbs with pedals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Curious if anyone received their Ripley with the Schwalbe Hans Dampf & Nobby Nic tires. Theses are listed as the Apex TL-Easy 29x2.35 at the Ibis website. When I ordered my Ripley it was the only option available. The Maxxis Assegai 2.5 option at the Ibis site was not available when ordering. Can someone tell me exactly what version these are? Performance or Evolution line? Thoughts on how they liked these?

Thanks

On my full build, it came with Hans Dampf front and rear. Both are listed as Evolution TLE Snakeskin with the orange Addix compound. I've tried them on both the Ibis 35mm width rims and on carbon 28mm width rims. I find the HD to be surprisingly good, especially on loose over hard. Maybe even better than a DHF under those conditions. I think it's because of the stable looking side knobs with lots of sipes. Holds onto corners hard, and when it does break away, it's gradual. I think a DHF starts to get better the looser and dustier it becomes though, or on trails that are just littered with trail detritus like loose leaves/sticks/stones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

XT 12sp issues on the Ripley V4

Seeing a couple of minor issues running XT 12sp on the Ripley. Let me know if there's any insight.

1) With the B-screw maxed, I'm still not getting to the proper 51T to jockey wheel spacing. I had to add a "spacer" to the tip of the screw to be able to adjust to the correct point - anyone else notice the same on their bike?

2) In the 51T cog, I'm getting a consistent slight grinding noise. Goes away on the next cog down. I'm thinking it's the extreme chainline combined with the tight fit of the 12sp chain on the chainring and cogs. Is this normal XT behavior? The main reason this concerns me is that I don't get this noise on my other bike running the same drivetrain, a Hightower V2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Jaks-this is is a generalized statement but I have always read that if something like this is happening to check that your derailleur hanger is not bent or out of alignment. Happens often, I guess...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Seeing a couple of minor issues running XT 12sp on the Ripley. Let me know if there's any insight.

1) With the B-screw maxed, I'm still not getting to the proper 51T to jockey wheel spacing. I had to add a "spacer" to the tip of the screw to be able to adjust to the correct point - anyone else notice the same on their bike?

2) In the 51T cog, I'm getting a consistent slight grinding noise. Goes away on the next cog down. I'm thinking it's the extreme chainline combined with the tight fit of the 12sp chain on the chainring and cogs. Is this normal XT behavior? The main reason this concerns me is that I don't get this noise on my other bike running the same drivetrain, a Hightower V2.
    Are you positive the chain is routed correctly thru the derailleur? Make sure itís not routed on the wrong side of the tab

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Jaks: Make sure that the b-screw is contacting the stopper plate on the derailleur and not the derailleur hanger. When installing the derailleur, itís easy to install the stopper plate on the wrong side of the derailleur hanger.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Cudabri View Post
    Jaks-this is is a generalized statement but I have always read that if something like this is happening to check that your derailleur hanger is not bent or out of alignment. Happens often, I guess...
    I agree. It doesn't take much to knock things out of alignment. Any visible damage of the derailleur?

mtbr member
    On my full build, it came with Hans Dampf front and rear. Both are listed as Evolution TLE Snakeskin with the orange Addix compound. I've tried them on both the Ibis 35mm width rims and on carbon 28mm width rims. I find the HD to be surprisingly good, especially on loose over hard. Maybe even better than a DHF under those conditions. I think it's because of the stable looking side knobs with lots of sipes. Holds onto corners hard, and when it does break away, it's gradual. I think a DHF starts to get better the looser and dustier it becomes though, or on trails that are just littered with trail detritus like loose leaves/sticks/stones.
    Thanks man!

What are your thoughts on the 35mm rims? Especially as compared to a more typical 28-30mm?

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Thanks man!

What are your thoughts on the 35mm rims? Especially as compared to a more typical 28-30mm?

I am curious too, as to what if any differences you felt on the i29 vs the i35 wheels. I just got my Ripley a month ago and I thought they were going to come with 29rims and instead the were the 35mm. I was thinking I wanted thr 29 for less weight. I do obsess over this stuff and Iím wondering what the difference would have been on the 29mm. The widest tire I will go is a 2.4-2.5

In Transit
    S35 carbon weighs only 40g more than the S28.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a Ripley V4 with the Ibis 35mm rims and HD tire/Nobby Nic and a 2021 Epic Evo with a lighter set of wheels and tires. The Ripley is 28.2lbs and the Evo is about 24.9lbs.

I love both bikes and I do find there is the potential for a lot of overlap. My Evo is built to be light and fast, but still reasonably capable and my Ripley more trail oriented. I've seen people put a 130 fork and better shock on the Evo and it becomes a surprisingly good trail bike. The Evo frame is REALLY light and the bike is priced reasonably. Both awesome bikes, for sure. I'm happy to answer questions.
    Last edited by akaktm; 2 Days Ago at 07:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

2019 Ibis Ripley V4

Thanks man!

I had s35 on my HD3 and when I got my V4 I got the S28. I prefer 2.35ish tires and the S35 squares off the tread too much at that width and I did not like the 2.6 tires. Too wide for my tastes. Lower weight is a bonus but for me it was about running the narrower tires that I prefer. More nimble and more sense of the trail at least from my POV.

mtbr member
    I am curious too, as to what if any differences you felt on the i29 vs the i35 wheels. I just got my Ripley a month ago and I thought they were going to come with 29rims and instead the were the 35mm. I was thinking I wanted the 29 for less weight. I do obsess over this stuff and Iím wondering what the difference would have been on the 29mm. The widest tire I will go is a 2.4-2.5
    The S35 rim was really my only option as the S28 was not offered and 933 (29mm internal) was not in stock when I put in my order last month. Carbon options were available but I didn't have interest in those, cost being too rich for me. I could still change the order in the future if and when the S28 or 933 become available.

The LBS I ordered the bike from suggested I go for S35s even though I was leaning toward the narrower rims. I also noticed there's differences in opinions from the manufacturers. See Stans vs. Ibis. Also look at Maxxis' site especially as it relates to their WT option.

In the end I think I'll keep the S35s and if needed go for a 30mm rim wheelset if I think it's too wide. I could keep the Ibis S35 wheelset for the Late Fall-Winter-Early Spring muck with wide beefy tires and then go for maybe a Hydra of King on DT 481 rims (30mm internal). I like nice high POE rear hubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

Ibis shipping to East Coast

My LBS (in NC) says shipping from Ibis takes a week. I ordered mine in August and should ship this week (we'll see).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Schwalbe Tire

Thanks
    Mine came with HD 2.35 Evolution Line, SnakeSkin, TL Easy, Addix Soft and NN 2.35 Evolution Line, SnakeSkin, TL Easy, Addix Speedgrip. I really don't like the NN, squirmy casing even at high pressures and 6+ cornering knobs have sheared off, with many more on the way. I am on the S28 rims and ride ATL metro trails with only a few trips north to more demanding trails. I wish I had gone Assegai and will be soon getting rid of the NN and moving the HD to the rear. No complaints there

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

My LBS (in NC) says shipping from Ibis takes a week. I ordered mine in August and should ship this week (we'll see).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Competitive Cyclist has frames available to ship. Quite surprised. I ordered one and then got on chat to verify inventory. She said that had 10 large in stock on Friday.

Just FYI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSting View Post
    Whoa! Is this earlier than expected? What was the original Ship Date? Later than last week of November?

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

When I ordered the Ripley in August, they estimated Nov/Dec time frame for delivery. Ibis was waiting on the Deore groupset from Shimano.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    No damage at all to the hanger unless it came bent from new - the bike only has like 10 rides on it so far, with the derailluer itself still looking brand new. I don't think the hanger is misaligned - the shifting is perfect. It's just that there is a louder than normal chain noise in the 51t cog.

I'm starting to think it's really the chain being too short - on the other bike that runs silent, I can see there's more slack in the derailleur on the 51t cog. Will adjust chain next week and post if anything changes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I am curious too, as to what if any differences you felt on the i29 vs the i35 wheels. I just got my Ripley a month ago and I thought they were going to come with 29rims and instead the were the 35mm. I was thinking I wanted thr 29 for less weight. I do obsess over this stuff and Iím wondering what the difference would have been on the 29mm. The widest tire I will go is a 2.4-2.5

I had no complaints with the 35mm stock wheels running the Hans Dampfs. It might have rolled a tiny bit slower than the 28mm wheels running the same tires, but my 28mm wheels are also lighter so it's hard to say if that had to do with the rim width. Tires felt a tiny bit more stable during cornering, but I don't run super low pressures so that's not really an issue that seems very different between the two wheelsets. The main reason I like my 28mm wheels is because it seems like it works well with a wider range of tires. If you're always gonna run 2.4 tires and above, the 35mm rims are great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So going from a more capable shock that was stock to a less capable shock Pepe buy on their own would cause people to like the less capable shock?

More complex doesnít mean more capable. In my case I was on two waiting lists for two different frames before I put the McLeod on. In one ride the bike was transformed and I will be riding the frame for many years to come. Iím not talking 1 or 2%. Iím talking worst handling bike while pushed at speed to does everything extremely well. First time since I started riding full suspension 18 years ago that I have ever swapped out a shock.

mtbr member
    I'm starting to think it's really the chain being too short - on the other bike that runs silent, I can see there's more slack in the derailleur on the 51t cog. Will adjust chain next week and post if anything changes.
    Put it in the 51t and air down the shock, see if the chain is long enough with the suspension fully compressed. That is an easy way to know for sure that the chain is dangerously short. Not that bottoming out the suspension is likely in the 51t, but it needs to be possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by akaktm View Post
    I have a Ripley V4 with the Ibis 35mm rims and HD tire/Nobby Nic and a 2021 Epic Evo with a lighter set of wheels and tires. The Ripley is 28.2lbs and the Evo is about 24.9lbs.

I'm happy to answer questions.
    Hey. If you could only keep one of them, specifically for: light trail riding, nothing too aggressive, no racing.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2019

DM-MARD001-00-ENG.pdf (shimano.com)

Page 10 shows how to measure chain length. This is the guide I have used to set up Shimano 12 speed systems and it has worked great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    I read and enjoyed most of this thread and thought I'd add my experience as another data point ... I put my size large SLX Ripley build on an unsprung-weight diet recently and saved about 3+ pounds. I ride mostly technical XC/light trail and found the weight savings noticeable for the type of riding I do. My un-sprung replacements:

Ibis 35 alloy wheels (1880g)
    BTLOS 27 carbon (1462g)

2.6 nobby/dampf tires (2265g)
    2.35 ardent race x 2 (1490g)

slx cassette (534g)
    xtr casette (390g)

With a couple of other swap-outs I'm down from the original 31 pounds to a very tossable 27 pounds, pedals included. I'm probably a little overbiked for the trails I ride, but I'm enjoying the extra squish and there's almost no pedal-bob penalty to get it. Four months in and loving the V4 Ripley!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice weight loss!