2019 Ibis Ripley V4 - Page 18- Mtbr.com
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 3,401 to 3,497 of 3497
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ckspeed View Post
    Thanks, not sure if I want the 190x45 or 190x50 Topaz T3 or the Fox DPX2. I have FOX suspension since my first MTB-2012 Trek Remedy 9. i read all the post here and most suggest the T3. Does anyone have use both the Topaz T3 and the Fox DPX2 can comments on their preference, ride, feel? I have the DPX2 on my Mojo 3 and i can tell a different between the DPX2 & DPS.
    i ran a dpx2 on my Ripley v3 until I changed to DVO Topaz 3. The dpx2 was better than the Dps, but the T3 is much better than either. Better support in middle and smoother on small bumps like roots and small rock ledges. Also, never bottom out. Iím 230 lbs so a lighter rider may have a different experience. My friend, on his V4 weighs 190 and has the same experience. He has no issue with clearance of the reservoir on his large frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annadel Adam View Post
    I was under the impression that piggy back shocks wouldn't fit the ripley due to clearance issues. Are people actually able to put a DPX2 or Topaz on their Ripley? anybody have photos?
    I posted some pics of a Topaz on a Med. See posts #2740 and 2918.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks manitunc & rockman. I like to see the topaz t3 on a medium frame with the reservoir up. I always carry a water bottle/Powerade.
    '20 Ibis Ripley
    '18 SC Tallboy CC_Wife
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv_Kid
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '17 SC Bronson CC-Spare

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckspeed View Post
    Thanks manitunc & rockman. I like to see the topaz t3 on a medium frame with the reservoir up. I always carry a water bottle/Powerade.
    See rockman pic that he referenced. Itís a medium frame with reservoir up.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks Bones
    '20 Ibis Ripley
    '18 SC Tallboy CC_Wife
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv_Kid
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '17 SC Bronson CC-Spare

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitunc View Post
    The 190x50 dvo does not bottom out the yoke on my buddies large frame. Donít know if itís different on smaller frames. But if your concerned, you can always use an offset front shock bushing to get more clearance. I thought dvo also offered a 190x45 for those who didnít want the extra travel of the 50, but I can say there is no issue on my friends large v4 and the ride is appreciably better than the Fox factory dps that came on the bike. And Iíll never take it off my V3.
    It's not the yoke, it's the upper link that gets very close. If you are running a large tire it will hit the frame boss first though. On a very hard drop to flat style bottom out when you mix in some flex and maximum compression of the shock bottom out bumper, well it's your risk. Using an offset bushing might give you enough wiggle room to be safe but then again it might not. And I would put the offset bushing at the clevis since it doesn't move.

This is a Large Ripley V4 with an aired down stock Fox 190x45 and stock bushings. Plus a smallish 2.35" tire. You can kind of see where the previous 2.6" has rubbed a few times on the frame boss protector, although it is mostly hidden by the link.2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_20200623_124501.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    It's not the yoke, it's the upper link that gets very close. If you are running a large tire it will hit the frame boss first though. On a very hard drop to flat style bottom out when you mix in some flex and maximum compression of the shock bottom out bumper, well it's your risk. Using an offset bushing might give you enough wiggle room to be safe but then again it might not. And I would put the offset bushing at the clevis since it doesn't move.

This is a Large Ripley V4 with an aired down stock Fox 190x45 and stock bushings. Plus a smallish 2.35" tire. You can kind of see where the previous 2.6" has rubbed a few times on the frame boss protector, although it is mostly hidden by the link.

ok, sorry, I misspoke, I meant the upper link, not the yoke. My buddy has been running his V4 with the T3 for 6 months with no issue, no tire marks etc. I doubt the Ripley was designed for big hulk to flat with lots of frame deflection, and my buddy certainly doesnít ride it that way. He rides Florida half the year and western NC the other half. The Ripley isnt a bike park bike, itís a trail bike. My Ripmo was the bike for buck to flat.

mtbr member
    ok, sorry, I misspoke, I meant the upper link, not the yoke. My buddy has been running his V4 with the T3 for 6 months with no issue, no tire marks etc. I doubt the Ripley was designed for big hulk to flat with lots of frame deflection, and my buddy certainly doesnít ride it that way. He rides Florida half the year and western NC the other half. The Ripley isnt a bike park bike, itís a trail bike. My Ripmo was the bike for buck to flat.
    Sure, I get that, but the piggyback shock made me wonder. I considered the Mara Pro piggyback but it seemed like overkill for 99% of what I will ever do on this bike so I stuck with a good inline shock to save some weight and money. The only other thing is, sometimes we do things we didn't intend and finding out the absolute limits might be painful in this case. It's a stout frame and it may be entirely safe to run it that close but I'm not comfortable saying that without making the risks very clear. It absolutely will damage the frame if that link does ever hit the back of the seat tube while riding for any reason.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Sure, I get that, but the piggyback shock made me wonder. I considered the Mara Pro piggyback but it seemed like overkill for 99% of what I will ever do on this bike so I stuck with a good inline shock to save some weight and money. The only other thing is, sometimes we do things we didn't intend and finding out the absolute limits might be painful in this case. It's a stout frame and it may be entirely safe to run it that close but I'm not comfortable saying that without making the risks very clear. It absolutely will damage the frame if that link does ever hit the back of the seat tube while riding for any reason.
    yeah, I donít need the piggyback, but DVO doesnít make an in line shock. I liked the Diamond fork so much I decided to try their shock and found it much better. The dpx2 is a better shock for heavier riders than the stock dps, but the T3 is better than either. I did raise your concerns to my friend and he is going to get an offset bushing like I have on my V3 Ripley LS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My Ripley showed up today with one small snag. I donít have a front fork. Big props to pro bike supply. Issue with my first fork and they sent the bike without it. They just called to see if I would be ok with them sending me the new factory 34 with the grip 2 damper. Super pumped to get this bike built up and on the trail. Swapping parts right now, hope to have the fork latter this week and then itís time to hit the trails. Canít wait!!!

mtbr member
    yeah, I donít need the piggyback, but DVO doesnít make an in line shock. I liked the Diamond fork so much I decided to try their shock and found it much better. The dpx2 is a better shock for heavier riders than the stock dps, but the T3 is better than either. I did raise your concerns to my friend and he is going to get an offset bushing like I have on my V3 Ripley LS.
    That's a little like how I ended up running all Manitou stuff now, I liked the McLeod rear shock so much compared to Fox and RS, and it works great for riders over 200lbs by not needing so much pressure and spacers to avoid being a saggy mess. And then the Mezzer fork was at least as big an improvement over my Fox forks that all have had expensive upgrades. DVO would be on my list of things to try if I wasn't locked in to an all Manitou setup that I'm quite happy with, I wonder why they don't do an inline? I think I could also be happy with a Cane Creek setup, it's nice that there are some solid options out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    That's a little like how I ended up running all Manitou stuff now, I liked the McLeod rear shock so much compared to Fox and RS, and it works great for riders over 200lbs by not needing so much pressure and spacers to avoid being a saggy mess. And then the Mezzer fork was at least as big an improvement over my Fox forks that all have had expensive upgrades. DVO would be on my list of things to try if I wasn't locked in to an all Manitou setup that I'm quite happy with, I wonder why they don't do an inline? I think I could also be happy with a Cane Creek setup, it's nice that there are some solid options out there.
    how do you like the Mezzer. Is it on your Ripley? What travel? Iím thinking about putting on on my coming specialized Levo sl.

mtbr member
    how do you like the Mezzer. Is it on your Ripley? What travel? Iím thinking about putting on on my coming specialized Levo sl.
    Yeah, on the Ripley. Replaced a Factory 34 with Vorsprung mods. It was nice for a 34 but didn't compare to the Mezzer. It's great, super stiff and smooth. In an air spring fork, there is nothing better than Manitou's IRT spring system. The extra tunability means it's a little bit more effort to really dial it in but well worth it. But baseline settings are still better than a normal air spring. And it's easier to service than a Fox.

Running it at 140, I bought a 180 because it was all that was available in 44 offset at the time, and all Mezzers travels are the same other than how many travel spacers are installed at the factory plus they all ship with enough in the box to run any travel down to 140.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thenry View Post
    My Ripley showed up today with one small snag. I donít have a front fork. Big props to pro bike supply. Issue with my first fork and they sent the bike without it. They just called to see if I would be ok with them sending me the new factory 34 with the grip 2 damper. Super pumped to get this bike built up and on the trail. Swapping parts right now, hope to have the fork latter this week and then itís time to hit the trails. Canít wait!!!
    What fork were you trying to get? My Ripley is in at PBS but I'm in Durango so I'll pick it up next week. Going with Pike Ultimate.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    What fork were you trying to get? My Ripley is in at PBS but I'm in Durango so I'll pick it up next week. Going with Pike Ultimate.
    It was supposed to come with the Fox factory FIT 4. My understanding is the new Factory 34 with the grip 2 is a more adjustable fork.
    Last edited by thenry; 1 Week Ago at 04:41 AM.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    It was supposed to come with the Factory with the FIt 4. My understanding is the new Factory 34 with the grip 2 is a more adjustable fork.
    FIT4 is a garbage damper so consider yourself lucky that you are getting the GRIP2 instead, which people seem to love in the Fox 36. Only thing you lose is lockout but thatís unnecessary on a Ripley anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    FIT4 is a garbage damper so consider yourself lucky that you are getting the GRIP2 instead, which people seem to love in the Fox 36. Only thing you lose is lockout but thatís unnecessary on a Ripley anyways.
    Yeah I keep reading that for the most part people donít think to highly of the Fit 4. I actually do use a lockout currently, if I ride the road for any amount of time to get to a trailhead or link trails. Iíll gladly give it up for a better overall fork on the trail which is all I really care about.

mtbr member
    Cadence sensor.

Anyone found a cadence sensor that works with the Ripley? I know i is has really tight clearance between inside of crank arm and chain stay. When i tried to get one for my mojo 3 it would not fit.

mtbr member

2019 Ibis Ripley V4

Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Cadence sensor.

Anyone found a cadence sensor that works with the Ripley? I know i is has really tight clearance between inside of crank arm and chain stay. When i tried to get one for my mojo 3 it would not fit.
    I was using a garmin cadence sensor on my XTR9100 cranks before I bought a Stages power meter crank.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    just placed an order for a ripley with the new deore 12spd, super curious how its going to feel. better than NX?

I can't wait to ride this thing, Ibis said mid-july so crossing my fingers.
    2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I run cheap bike computer from walmart that has cadence function. It does fit fine and works fine as well so far.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Yeah I keep reading that for the most part people donít think to highly of the Fit 4. I actually do use a lockout currently, if I ride the road for any amount of time to get to a trailhead or link trails. Iíll gladly give it up for a better overall fork on the trail which is all I really care about.
    I was a lockout fan as well (longtime hardtail rider) but found it incompatible with modern, high volume tires run at low pressures. It just makes for a bouncy, undamped ride.

EDIT to add: I never used to the lockout on my 34 FIT4 when it was still on my Ripley, even when riding road to connect trails.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    just placed an order for a ripley with the new deore 12spd, super curious how its going to feel. better than NX?
    As much as GX has surprised me, I'm going with Deore every time over NX. If you want more of a high end drivetrain feel, upgrade the shifter to XT for not much money. That's where almost all of your "shift quality" comes from imo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    As much as GX has surprised me, I'm going with Deore every time over NX. If you want more of a high end drivetrain feel, upgrade the shifter to XT for not much money. That's where almost all of your "shift quality" comes from imo.
    Yes GX is nice. I think Deore plus XT shifter will be awsome. NX plus GX derailleur and shifter is a classic quality for a bargain price choice by now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Cadence sensor.

I use the Lezyne speed/cadence sensor on the swingarm with a rare earth magnet stuck to the end of the pedal spindle on the inside of the crank arm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    For my Ripley 4 I'm thinking of replacing 2016 Pike 140mm with Lufkappe (51mm offset) for a 2020 Fox 36 Float GRIP 140mm (44mm offset).

Has anybody experience in this sector, would it be an upgrade or a downgrade? 🤔

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    yeah, i'm thinking i'll go full XT eventually, probably not a bad idea to start with a $59 shifter.
    2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Does anyone know if Ibis is specing the Ripley builds now with the grip 2 damper ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Spend the money on XTR shifter. Really not that much more. I have not used an XT 12spd (I have the XTR 12spd now), but with the prior 11 and 10 speed generations the XTR shifter was noticeably smoother than XT and worth the upgrade. The shifter used to be the only thing worth it on XTR vs XT unless you're a weight weenie. Not sure about it now days. The current 12sp Shimano is pretty sweet up and down the line.

yeah, i'm thinking i'll go full XT eventually, probably not a bad idea to start with a $59 shifter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mluisgr81 View Post
    Does anyone know if Ibis is specing the Ripley builds now with the grip 2 damper ?
    i just ordered a 2021 model, still just the factory fit4.
    2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Spend the money on XTR shifter. Really not that much more. I have not used an XT 12spd (I have the XTR 12spd now), but with the prior 11 and 10 speed generations the XTR shifter was noticeably smoother than XT and worth the upgrade. The shifter used to be the only thing worth it on XTR vs XT unless you're a weight weenie. Not sure about it now days. The current 12sp Shimano is pretty sweet up and down the line.
    thanks for the heads up.
    2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    oh you fancy!

mtbr member

Try Pivot's Trail 429 Suspension Settings

I'm using a Fox 34 140mm FIT4 fork and DPS Factory shock and been having a heck of a time getting it tuned to my liking. I ride aggressive XC/light trail in the mid-Atlantic. I'm far from a suspension guru which may be part of the problem. At ~200lbs riding weight I had been following Ibis' suspension recommendations. In general the ride did not feel supportive, pedal bob was noticeable, and fast choppy descents had the bike bucking like bronco!

Today I followed Pivot's Trail 429 suspension settings and felt a drastic improvement in every situation. Much better support, pedal efficiency, and composure during descents. Here the my settings:

Fox 34 140mm FIT4 FORK
    75psi, 28mm sag, 2 Token, 3 position lever - Medium, 5 clicks rebound, 5 clicks open mode adjust

Fox Float DPS SHOCK
    250psi, 14mm sag, 3 position lever - Medium, 5 clicks rebound, 2 open mode adjust

Having the 3-position lever in the Medium setting instead of Open was something I never considered but Pivot calls this out for heavier riders. Definitely made the ride much more to my liking. My next step is to try a Shockwiz and see what it says.

So if you're about to give up on your Fox, give Pivot's Trail 429 suspension recommendations a try.
    Last edited by RacerLex; 4 Days Ago at 06:55 PM. Reason: Typo: Fox fork is NOT 175psi, it is 75psi

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i just ordered a 2021 model, still just the factory fit4.
    There was an issue with the factory Fit 4 on the Ripley I ordered from pro bike supply and the bike shipped without a front fork. They called me on Tuesday to see if I would be o.k. with a factory grip 2, as they wanted to make sure I was ok not having a lock out. Apparently it has stickers on it to match the blue frame. They said they would include stickers to match the black frame. I assumed this meant that the newer run of bikes is being speced with the grip 2 damper. Iíll let you know what shows up on Saturday. Itís also possible that pro bike supply is hooking me up with a fork that is not speced to get me up and running more quickly?
    Last edited by thenry; 1 Week Ago at 05:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tsurun View Post
    Thanks, both.

Once assembled, try riding for a while, and if that doesn't make it smoother, going to check the torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My frame feels the same way. It feels nice and tight and I honestly think this is how it supposed to feel. All bolts were torqued to spec from the factory and with the rear shock in place the pivots feel very smooth on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Is anyone running DUB BB with 32T oval? I had to put the 3mm spacer on the BB but then the crank comes loose after just a short ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    There was an issue with the factory Fit 4 on the Ripley I ordered from pro bike supply and the bike shipped without a front fork. They called me on Tuesday to see if I would be o.k. with a factory grip 2, as they wanted to make sure I was ok not having a lock out. Apparently it has stickers on it to match the blue frame. They said they would include stickers to match the black frame. I assumed this meant that the newer run of bikes is being speced with the grip 2 damper. Iíll let you know what shows up on Saturday. Itís also possible that pro bike supply is hooking me up with a fork that is not speced to get me up and running more quickly?
    crossing my fingers, i'd much rather have the grip 2.
    2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    RAD that's a good upgrade!

mtbr member
    I'm considering selling my Ripmo AF to fund a Ripley. I love my Ripmo when it goes down but that's about it. It doesn't make me want to pedal at all. When I say at all, I cringe for any ride than has more than 2k climbing on this bike.

The gnarlier the better but I only ride gnar stuf about once a month if I'm lucky.

Has anyone done this before?

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I did search but only old info when first released...That said ripley size help would really be appreciated as buying wrong size sucks and so far mixed reviews.
    5-9 short legs & long torso - ride North east - Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 17j View Post
    I did search but only old info when first released...That said ripley size help would really be appreciated as buying wrong size sucks and so far mixed reviews.
    Large.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 17j View Post
    large. My wife is 5'4 and rides a medium. She has below average length legs and long torso... so I'd say large no doubt. Medium will be to small.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Iím 5í3 on a medium. I said large too.
    '20 Ibis Ripley
    '18 SC Tallboy CC_Wife
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv_Kid
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '17 SC Bronson CC-Spare

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    I'm considering selling my Ripmo AF to fund a Ripley. I love my Ripmo when it goes down but that's about it. It doesn't make me want to pedal at all. When I say at all, I cringe for any ride than has more than 2k climbing on this bike.

The gnarlier the better but I only ride gnar stuf about once a month if I'm lucky.

Has anyone done this before?
    i literally sold my AF on friday and put an order in for a Ripley. you echo my feelings exactly.. the AF is a cheat code going down hill, but i found myself way more exhausted after a 2-3 hour ride than I've ever been in the past. we have a couple of steep, fast, super rocky trails around, but i'm going to be happy taking those a little slower and enjoying the mellower trails much more.
    2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So this showed up a day early. Itís the factory grip 2 with a kabolt axle. It has a matte black finish on it. Again not sure if this is normal or pro bike supply just hooked me up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis Ripley V4-81b0a703-8091-407e-8bfe-0eb4ee808cad.jpg  

mtbr member
    So this showed up a day early. Itís the factory grip 2 with a kabolt axle. It has a matte black finish on it. Again not sure if this is normal or pro bike supply just hooked me up.
    Those decals look OEM to me. We just might be seeing Grip2 showing up on some new Ripleys!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I emailed Chuck from Ibis. Best company ever; got back to me so quick. From him: All Ripleys here on out are coming with the new grip 2 damper. Looks like that fork is oem spec 👍

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I thought the new 34 Grip2 forks all had a gloss finish. I put one on my Ripley and for a change I like the gloss with the gloss paint on the frame.

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-5fddb345-4dcb-42ed-8ed3-4f533d4183ef.jpg
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    Those decals look OEM to me. We just might be seeing Grip2 showing up on some new Ripleys!
    Decals do look OEM.

I emailed Chuck from Ibis. Best company ever; got back to me so quick. From him: All Ripleys here on out are coming with the new grip 2 damper. Looks like that fork is oem spec 
    I am really impressed with the fork so far, In an unfortunate turn of events it hailed and rained this afternoon so I wasnít able to get it out on proper trails

Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    I thought the new 34 Grip2 forks all had a gloss finish. I put one on my Ripley and for a change I like the gloss with the gloss paint on the frame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5FDDB345-4DCB-42ED-8ED3-4F533D4183EF.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	1344581

That definitely looks sharp. I would imagine if they are coming out on OEM it would be easy enough for Ibis to request them from Fox in the Matte black as they already have it in production for the fit 4.

I know you have run multiple forks on your bike, how do you like the new grip 2?

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    I emailed Chuck from Ibis. Best company ever; got back to me so quick. From him: All Ripleys here on out are coming with the new grip 2 damper. Looks like that fork is oem spec 
    Nice. Ibis seems to put some thought into their parts spec, as seen by specifying Shimano brakes even with SRAM drivetrains. They know that the FIT4 damper is garbage and now I wonder if their mid year downgrade of the standard fork to the Fox 34 Performance from the Performance Elite was more of a performance choice than a cost savings measure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatsbullshark View Post
    I just ordered a large in Blue Steel. went with XT and suspension upgrades. switching the stock wheels with some Maple XCM/DT350 (orange decals!). this will be my first FS bike after riding a HT SJ and getting my ass/back broke in Freetown (MA) State Forest for many years. 2 to 3 week delivery time. Looking forward to it!
    Just picked mine up yesterday. Havent had a chance to ride yet but hopefully in the next few days. weighed 28.4lbs with XTR pedals. ridemaple rims with I9 Hydra hubs in orange.Name:  IMG_0076s.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  101.9 KBName:  IMG_0081.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  107.8 KBName:  IMG_0078.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  93.4 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatsbullshark View Post
    Just picked mine up yesterday. Havent had a chance to ride yet but hopefully in the next few days. weighed 28.4lbs with XTR pedals. ridemaple rims with I9 Hydra hubs in orange.Name:  IMG_0076s.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  101.9 KBName:  IMG_0081.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  107.8 KBName:  IMG_0078.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  93.4 KB
    Very sharp looking build! I dig the orange hubs!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I emailed Chuck from Ibis. Best company ever; got back to me so quick. From him: All Ripleys here on out are coming with the new grip 2 damper. Looks like that fork is oem spec 👍
    that's awesome news. Can't wait to get mine.
    2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Lbs ordered mine on June 15th. Really hoping I end up with a 2021 Grip2 as well.

mtbr member
    To all of you that have been posting recently, stating that youíve got one on order, please let me assure you that you have made the right decision, the Ripley 4 is as close to perfect as Iíve ever seen in a bike. Iíve recently been able to put about 800 more miles on mine and it just keeps getting better and better. It does everything well and flatters me as a rider. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    To all of you that have been posting recently, stating that youíve got one on order, please let me assure you that you have made the right decision, the Ripley 4 is as close to perfect as Iíve ever seen in a bike. Iíve recently been able to put about 800 more miles on mine and it just keeps getting better and better. It does everything well and flatters me as a rider. Enjoy!

Beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Ripley. Iím coming off of a 2018 Yt Capra 29 and am looking for an easier climb and more fun on my local Bay Area CA trails. The Capra was great but itís a beast to say the least. A buddy picked up a new 2021 epic evo comp and rode it today for the 1st time. Just over $4k and XL weighed in at 26.5lbs with pedals and cages. I was beginning to have 2nd thoughts but posts like yours are reassuring. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HopperMtB View Post
    Beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Ripley. Iím coming off of a 2018 Yt Capra 29 and am looking for an easier climb and more fun on my local Bay Area CA trails. The Capra was great but itís a beast to say the least. A buddy picked up a new 2021 epic evo comp and rode it today for the 1st time. Just over $4k and XL weighed in at 26.5lbs with pedals and cages. I was beginning to have 2nd thoughts but posts like yours are reassuring. Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you very much, Iím glad you like the picture!

I came from a Pivot Switchblade, an amazing bike but in comparison to the Ripley, also a bit of a beast. I think youíve made the right decision because at the end of the day, 26.5lbs or not, itís still a Specialized!

mtbr member
    Just finished my ride after installing the new GRIP2 damper into my 2020 Fox 34 Factory 140mm + Vorsprung Luftkappe. I am familiar with the GRIP2 on my Fox 36 so I have a baseline of what to expect. The test run is a 10 mile loop of a great mix of terrain but mainly in the SW desert. Fast flowy singletrack, technical drops, extended climbs, and medium sized rocky sections - up and down.

There is definitely an improvement of how the fork performs. I ended up not too far off from Fox's recommendations for a controlled feeling without diving. The Luftkappe helps with the initial stroke and mid support but the compression settings add to the fine tuning.

The added rebound adjustments keeps my front wheel on the ground - I like more of a planted feeling on my front suspension settings. Overall, a better riding experience by simply swapping out the FIT4 damper.

The riders who have the GRIP2 coming with your new bikes (Congratulations!!!), spend the time adjusting the damper - it is worth it. Take the Fox recommendations and work from there. While the damper adds about 100g to the bike compared to the FIT4 setup, you end up with a better performing fork and experience.
    Sent from the singletrack...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    First Ride review: Iím 6í tall and 160 lbs geared up. I went with an XL as I felt the large was to cramped for how I like to be positioned while seated. I have put 25 miles on the new Ripley with roughly 2500 feet of climbing. My bike is set up with Fox Factory grip 2 fork set at 130mm of travel, factory dps rear shock. I have 760mm bars, 50mm stem with 25mm of spacers under the stem.

I live in Colorado and did my first ride at the trails that I thought would pose the biggest issue for the Ripley. A lot of tight flat turns for Colorado with loose over hard pack. I am extremely impressed with how the bike handled the trails. I was able to push hard into the corners and even take inside lines on larger sweeping turns. I had no issues with the front end wanting to wash out, which was a concern for me going to the XL. While the wheelbase is long it doesnít ride long. I feel like Iím able to pitch the bike side to side easily and it holds a line extremely well. It still feels poppy and playful to me.

The bike is an extremely efficient climber. It stays planted and maintains traction up and over tech really well. I also did not have issues with pedal strikes with the longer wheelbase. Shockingly enough I was also able to pedal straight up multiple 4 and 5 rise concrete stair cases in a row as long as I timed my pedal stroke properly. I couldnít do that on my V1 5010 and would have to hop up stairs one at a time. This may just be 29er rollover and all 29ers are capable of this? I'm not sure as this is my first 29er.

The bike feels extremely well balanced and calm in the air. On a double that I often barely clear and occasionally case, I actually cleared to flat with a startled ďoh s**tĒ in mid air. I think I came into the section carrying more speed than I usually do and the Ripley ďpopsĒ off of lips more than I am used too.

On chunky, steep descents I feel like I was absolutely able to let it hang out. I was comfortably able to hit 30 mph and the bike felt extremely stable.

One of my greatest concerns was how my knees would adapt to the steep seat tube angle. I have a bum right knee that was worked on when I was 19(24 years ago). No issues at all with the seat angle. It feels very natural to me.

I am floored by this bike. It is everything I was hoping for with the new geo. Still able to rail turns, while making higher speed chunkier descending more stable. The bike climbs extremely well, however I am looking forward to the lighter wheel set that should be showing up soon. Super pleased with this bike!

Quick edit: The day after this ride I can tell I definitely used some different muscles with the new seat angle. My Quads/glutes are sore like I lifted weights in different areas than I would get sore with my old bike. I don't normally get sore after a ride this far into the season. Certainly not a bad thing, just different. No joint pain of any kind.
    Last edited by thenry; 5 Days Ago at 10:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Ripley Tires: Assegai vs Ardent Race

Name:  Ripley-Assegai-VS-Ardent-Race-400.png
Views: 85
Size:  227.1 KB

Loving my Ripley!!!

Got my V4 in cold winter December. So elected to get the massive Assegai 29 x 2.5WT 3C Maxx Terra 120 TPI 3CT/EXO+/TR (1125 grams each) tires front and back. Heavy with a capital H. But so much GRIP. Best tire I've ever ridden in cold, frozen ground, mud, slop, snow, and nasty. Made winter riding a blast.

Planned to keep them on for Moab trip in May for big rocks and drops on SlickRock, Porcupine Rim (TWE), and Captain Ahab. But trip cancelled with CV.

Spring hit and ... these Assegais are too heavy.

So I went the complete opposite. From full enduro to full cross country tires. Went for lightest I could find, fastest rolling, and still a bit of grip and puncture protection.

Put on two Arrdent Race 29 x 2.35 3C Maxx Speed 120 TPI 3C/EXO/TR (745 grams each) tires front and back. I have S35 alloy rims (35 mm internal). This is the narrowest tire recommended by Ibis for rim. So I was nervous, but excited about dropping 1.5 pounds total (760 grams) in rotational weight.

Been SOOOOO much fun. Bike sprung to life. This is why I got this bike. I'm sprinting up the mountain again in tall gears. Such a blast.

Big surprise, I fly down those same trails almost as fast, but feeling everything, and loving hugging the trail (I ride mainly intermediate blues and some advanced black trails).

Assegais are super grippy and confidence inspiring. But dull the trail out.

Ardent Races are fly by the seat of your pants fun. My rear tire is skipping and sliding out more, but in a fun way.

Went to 3 Sisters in Evergreen Colorado and slow climbed up the west side in granny gear. The ARs gripped great. Made some tech climbs I did not think would happen.

I bought some Dissectors 2.6 to try. But I'm keeping the ARs on for the rest of the summer.

Here is a video I did comparing the two tires on the Ripley:

https://youtu.be/GYS4UZRmn9Y

This Ripley Rocks!

BTW, I weigh 210 naked. Tire pressure on ARs at 22 front and 24 back is my sweet spot for grip and rim protection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertVelo View Post
    Just finished my ride after installing the new GRIP2 damper into my 2020 Fox 34 Factory 140mm + Vorsprung Luftkappe. I am familiar with the GRIP2 on my Fox 36 so I have a baseline of what to expect. The test run is a 10 mile loop of a great mix of terrain but mainly in the SW desert. Fast flowy singletrack, technical drops, extended climbs, and medium sized rocky sections - up and down.

There is definitely an improvement of how the fork performs. I ended up not too far off from Fox's recommendations for a controlled feeling without diving. The Luftkappe helps with the initial stroke and mid support but the compression settings add to the fine tuning.

The added rebound adjustments keeps my front wheel on the ground - I like more of a planted feeling on my front suspension settings. Overall, a better riding experience by simply swapping out the FIT4 damper.

The riders who have the GRIP2 coming with your new bikes (Congratulations!!!), spend the time adjusting the damper - it is worth it. Take the Fox recommendations and work from there. While the damper adds about 100g to the bike compared to the FIT4 setup, you end up with a better performing fork and experience.
    Lbs ordered mine on June 15th. Really hoping I end up with a 2021 Grip2 as well.
    Nice. Ibis seems to put some thought into their parts spec, as seen by specifying Shimano brakes even with SRAM drivetrains. They know that the FIT4 damper is garbage and now I wonder if their mid year downgrade of the standard fork to the Fox 34 Performance from the Performance Elite was more of a performance choice than a cost savings measure.

Iím curious about everyoneís complaints of the fit4 vs the grip 2 damper, isnít the factory stepcast forks that come with the fit4 supposed to be Ďhigher end and better adjustabilityí than the grip2?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    Iím curious about everyoneís complaints of the fit4 vs the grip 2 damper, isnít the factory stepcast forks that come with the fit4 supposed to be Ďhigher end and better adjustabilityí than the grip2?
    Grip2 is more tunable. The purpose of the Stepcast is to save weight so that is why it comes with the lighter FIT4 damper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Mike,
    Good breakdown of the two very different tires. Iím thinking about doing this with the wheel set I have on the way. I tried out a Dissector front/Reckon rear both in 2.4 on the stock aluminum 933 rims. I was really pleased with how well the Dissector hooked up on loose over hard in the corners. It feels like a very fast rolling tire as well. Itís certainly not as light as the ARís though. Also looks like you have gotten your confidence back! If I recall in your earlier videos I have watched you were coming off of a fairly recent surgery. Looks like you had a pretty good clip going there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Mike,
    Good breakdown of the two very different tires. Iím thinking about doing this with the wheel set I have on the way. I tried out a Dissector front/Reckon rear both in 2.4 on the stock aluminum 933 rims. I was really pleased with how well the Dissector hooked up on loose over hard in the corners. It feels like a very fast rolling tire as well. Itís certainly not as light as the ARís though. Also looks like you have gotten your confidence back! If I recall in your earlier videos I have watched you were coming off of a fairly recent surgery. Looks like you had a pretty good clip going there.
    thenry, so true. Getting back in the groove. Not as fast a pre-crash, but feeling good.

Been curious about the Dissector/Rekon combo for a while. Bought two Dissectors in the winter in case I did not like the Assegai. Still in package.

For 25 years of riding, I've been using the same tire front and back. Easier to just buy the same tire when goes on sale and have ready when needed F or R. Only tires I did different were the old Smoke and Fire combo for a few seasons. Might have to move into new world. : )

Cool to hear you are digging the Ripley. It is a sweet machine. I flew up Green Mountain today (with the twin Ardent Races) and passed 5 riders going the same way (not grouped). That was new. I'm able to push some tall gears on this bike. Loves to climb. And fly back down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    I'm using a Fox 34 140mm FIT4 fork and DPS Factory shock and been having a heck of a time getting it tuned to my liking. I ride aggressive XC/light trail in the mid-Atlantic. I'm far from a suspension guru which may be part of the problem. At ~200lbs riding weight I had been following Ibis' suspension recommendations. In general the ride did not feel supportive, pedal bob was noticeable, and fast choppy descents had the bike bucking like bronco!

Today I followed Pivot's Trail 429 suspension settings and felt a drastic improvement in every situation. Much better support, pedal efficiency, and composure during descents. Here the my settings:

Fox 34 140mm FIT4 FORK
    175psi, 28mm sag, 2 Token, 3 position lever - Medium, 5 clicks rebound, 5 clicks open mode adjust

Fox Float DPS SHOCK
    250psi, 14mm sag, 3 position lever - Medium, 5 clicks rebound, 2 open mode adjust

Having the 3-position lever in the Medium setting instead of Open was something I never considered but Pivot calls this out for heavier riders. Definitely made the ride much more to my liking. My next step is to try a Shockwiz and see what it says.

So if you're about to give up on your Fox, give Pivot's Trail 429 suspension recommendations a try.
    RacerLex, I like the Pivot set up chart too. My LBS actually set my bike up with Pivot numbers (figured out later) before I received it. I tried Fox/Ibis numbers, but too harsh.

I have Fox 34 Performace (base model) and Fox DPS (base model) on XL frame (NX base model) with alloy S35 wheels. 6'2" and 210 pounds naked. Set up:

Fork (Fox 34 Performance): 75 psi. 3 spacers/tokens. Rebound (red nob) from full close back 5. Compression (blue dial) full close back 4. (Ibis recommends 100 psi at my weight).

Rear Shock (Fox DPS): 240 psi. Stock spacers (not opened). Rebound from full open back 6. Compression middle (trail mode). (Ibis recommends 255 psi at my weight).

Tires (2.35 Ardent Race): 24 psi rear. 22 psi front.

I really like this set up.

This is perfect for climbing. Good traction and power transfer. Also, good on technical climbing and loose.

Above settings do well on smooth flowy downhill. Good for pushing into corners. Awesome on rollers/pumps. Fun on small jumps (1 foot). Does surprisingly well on braking bumps. But lots of feedback can cause early hand fatigue.

However, when on trail that is chunky, I like to open both the fork and shock compression levers (blue) to full open. More comfortable in rough. Also more playful.

BTW, the bike does great in open all the time (up and down). But at my weight, I do like the climbing better with settings above.

Also, with the set up above (open or middle), I've never used all the travel (bottom out either fork or shock). Biggest drop maybe 3-4 foot (very rare for me to take that big of a drop now days, but do 1-2 all the time).

mosstrooper
    May 2020
    A buddy picked up a new 2021 epic evo comp and rode it today for the 1st time. Just over $4k and XL weighed in at 26.5lbs with pedals and cages. I was beginning to have 2nd thoughts but posts like yours are reassuring. Thanks for sharing!
    Wow, that's impressively light for the Comp build. Chapeau to Spesh for really putting the screws to their XC geo and bringing it into the new school for the 2021 Epic Evo, 66.5deg HTA and all that. I've been on a half dozen Epics and Epic HTs in the past 10 yrs and my 2019 Epic Evo is the most capable of the bunch (partly b/c it can clear a 2.35" out back unlike many XC bikes of earlier days), it's still definitely an XC bike. That said (and so as not to derail the thread too much)... the Ripley and the Epic Evo aren't really in the same MTB galaxy, IMO. While you can definitely "make" the Ripley a marathon-race bike with a 120mm fork and 700g tires, or "make" the Epic a trail bike with a 120 fork and knobby rubber, the suspension feel over the rocks and roots we have here in the NE mean the two are light years apart. The "faux bar"/link-driven single pivot on the Epic means it has a lot of pedaling support in the chatter and stays high in the travel, but it's a "responsive" ride, not a plush one. Meanwhile DW-Link creates that sought-after "hover bike" feel on the Ripley that creates fabulous traction on loose climbs and wet roots. The Ripley feels like it can push much further than its 120mm of travel on successive hits and it's got so much plushness over small bump. I'm coming off of 5+ yrs of riding a Stumpy, Instinct, or Sentinel as my "trail" bike and the Ripley is comparable to any of those for the style of riding (descending) I do... and a much better pedaler, to boot.
    All to say; two great bikes, two very different purposes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi all, I ordered my Ripley from my LBS in early June and was told a July 1 ship date. I think it still should be close to this, but that Ibis is still waiting for the new '21 Fox Forks before they ship any more Ripleys. Has anyone else heard otherwise or have more info? Super pumped to get this bike!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by gubbinalia View Post
    Wow, that's impressively light for the Comp build. Chapeau to Spesh for really putting the screws to their XC geo and bringing it into the new school for the 2021 Epic Evo, 66.5deg HTA and all that. I've been on a half dozen Epics and Epic HTs in the past 10 yrs and my 2019 Epic Evo is the most capable of the bunch (partly b/c it can clear a 2.35" out back unlike many XC bikes of earlier days), it's still definitely an XC bike. That said (and so as not to derail the thread too much)... the Ripley and the Epic Evo aren't really in the same MTB galaxy, IMO. While you can definitely "make" the Ripley a marathon-race bike with a 120mm fork and 700g tires, or "make" the Epic a trail bike with a 120 fork and knobby rubber, the suspension feel over the rocks and roots we have here in the NE mean the two are light years apart. The "faux bar"/link-driven single pivot on the Epic means it has a lot of pedaling support in the chatter and stays high in the travel, but it's a "responsive" ride, not a plush one. Meanwhile DW-Link creates that sought-after "hover bike" feel on the Ripley that creates fabulous traction on loose climbs and wet roots. The Ripley feels like it can push much further than its 120mm of travel on successive hits and it's got so much plushness over small bump. I'm coming off of 5+ yrs of riding a Stumpy, Instinct, or Sentinel as my "trail" bike and the Ripley is comparable to any of those for the style of riding (descending) I do... and a much better pedaler, to boot.
    All to say; two great bikes, two very different purposes!
    Great insight on how the two bikes would compare. My buddy loves the new Evo but i'm sure the Ripley is exactly what I am looking for in a bike right now. Cant Wait!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by pmollenkof View Post
    Hi all, I ordered my Ripley from my LBS in early June and was told a July 1 ship date. I think it still should be close to this, but that Ibis is still waiting for the new '21 Fox Forks before they ship any more Ripleys. Has anyone else heard otherwise or have more info? Super pumped to get this bike!!
    i'm in the same boat, was told 7/1 for the frame but the deore kit would be 2nd week of july. the factory 34 was showing in stock, but i think that was the fit4 so if they're only sending out ripleys with the 2021 34 and grip 2 i'm not sure if there's a longer wait. I hope not.. i have a riding trip planned for the last weekend in july.
    2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2MTB View Post
    RacerLex, I like the Pivot set up chart too. My LBS actually set my bike up with Pivot numbers (figured out later) before I received it. I tried Fox/Ibis numbers, but too harsh.

I have Fox 34 Performace (base model) and Fox DPS (base model) on XL frame (NX base model) with alloy S35 wheels. 6'2" and 210 pounds naked. Set up:

Fork (Fox 34 Performance): 75 psi. 3 spacers/tokens. Rebound (red nob) from full close back 5. Compression (blue dial) full close back 4. (Ibis recommends 100 psi at my weight).

Rear Shock (Fox DPS): 240 psi. Stock spacers (not opened). Rebound from full open back 6. Compression middle (trail mode). (Ibis recommends 255 psi at my weight).

Tires (2.35 Ardent Race): 24 psi rear. 22 psi front.

I really like this set up.

This is perfect for climbing. Good traction and power transfer. Also, good on technical climbing and loose.

Above settings do well on smooth flowy downhill. Good for pushing into corners. Awesome on rollers/pumps. Fun on small jumps (1 foot). Does surprisingly well on braking bumps. But lots of feedback can cause early hand fatigue.

However, when on trail that is chunky, I like to open both the fork and shock compression levers (blue) to full open. More comfortable in rough. Also more playful.

BTW, the bike does great in open all the time (up and down). But at my weight, I do like the climbing better with settings above.

Also, with the set up above (open or middle), I've never used all the travel (bottom out either fork or shock). Biggest drop maybe 3-4 foot (very rare for me to take that big of a drop now days, but do 1-2 all the time).
    https://m.pinkbike.com/u/RichardCunn...or-shocks.html

Any way to figure out which FIT4 a particular fork has in it? My 2019 Fox 34 on my T429 has been an exercise in frustration. And my experience with Pivotís suspension recommendations were equally frustrating.

Curious Mike2MTB howís the fit on the Ripley? Iím 6í 2Ē as well and usually prefer XLís

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post

Any way to figure out which FIT4 a particular fork has in it? My 2019 Fox 34 on my T429 has been an exercise in frustration. And my experience with Pivotís suspension recommendations were equally frustrating.
    I was also frustrated trying to dial in the Fox 34 on my M429T so I ended up installing an MRP Ramp Control Cartridge for more adjustability. For me, it helped quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Good to hear I'm not the only one. I had a typo in my original post. I'm using 75psi in Fox Fork, (not 175psi ). I also have not used all of the travel but I don't consider myself an aggressive rider.

mtbr member
    Any way to figure out which FIT4 a particular fork has in it?
    You can plug the 4 digit code from the ID sticker into Fox's website. www.ridefox.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Is this the appropriate place for this question but I'm curious as to what kind of pedals are you guys running on your IBIS ripley's? If you've changed over from a previous pedal I'm curious about why as well. Currently I run Time ATAC on my Turner Flux and I'm getting a new ripley in a couple weeks and I'm curious about either going SPD, sticking with Time or trying something with alittle platform on them like HT X2 ....

I'd like to eventually practice some tricks like like the Manual and the bunny hop so something that's easy to use when practicing that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I run Times too. Great pedals. Get some cheap flats for messing around with tricks.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jank View Post
    Is this the appropriate place for this question but I'm curious as to what kind of pedals are you guys running on your IBIS ripley's? If you've changed over from a previous pedal I'm curious about why as well. Currently I run Time ATAC on my Turner Flux and I'm getting a new ripley in a couple weeks and I'm curious about either going SPD, sticking with Time or trying something with alittle platform on them like HT X2 ....

I'd like to eventually practice some tricks like like the Manual and the bunny hop so something that's easy to use when practicing that.
    I ride an HD3, but use Time MX8....love the bigger platform. I can just stomp and go and clip in once I start pedals. Much less "no slip" than Shimano Trail pedals I had before which frankly are not really platforms. The newer Time Speciales looks nice, but I'm wondering if the platform is as grippy as the MX series. The Speciales look like they have some bite from the pins, but the rest looks like it could be slick.

ON my V1 Ripley, I run Time XC6 only cause they are higher and the Ripley is my endurance/XC bike now.

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-t2gv018_a_sp8orange_1.png

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jank View Post
    As suggested by BmanInTheD, get yourself some flat pedals and good shoes. Clipless are all pretty much the same when you're clipped in and switching to something with more platform won't change that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by driven916 View Post
    I was also frustrated trying to dial in the Fox 34 on my M429T so I ended up installing an MRP Ramp Control Cartridge for more adjustability. For me, it helped quite a bit.
    I too installed the MRP Ramp Control cartridge on the Fox 34. I had high hopes because I have several friends who run it and really like it, but it had zero effect on my fork. Ease of use vs tokens, sure, but i really think the issues with this fork is elsewhere. Richard Cunninghamís article pretty much nails it IMHO.

mtbr member
    Pedals are a personal preference thing. Flats are great for learning tricks and becoming a better rider. I have shitty jumping technique because Iíve always used clipless and pull the back of the bike up with my feet. But the flip side is I always know where my feet will be when things get sketchy.

Shimano xt or xtr trails just work and have been my go to for over a decade. They are easy to get in, easy to get out, last forever and have a big enough platform to find with your foot for a couple strokes. Easy to find cleats on the rode if one falls off during a trip. Other big plus if you ever want to hop on someone elseís bike they are more then likely Shimano pedals.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Pedals..right..but what about shoes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've been running Crankbrothers eggbeaters for the last 15-18 year on my trail bike. They have pedals with platforms like the Candy or the more DH oriented mallet. I've been running them for so long I don't feel like the platform is necessary for me on my trail bike. On my fatbike that I only ride in snow and ice I have a pair of mallets that have a clip and a large platform. I find its helpful in the snow. There seems to be a 'love it or hate it" feeling with crankbrothers pedals. They work well for me.

About a year ago I picked up a pair of one up composite flat pedals. I love these pedals and they were only about $50.00 I grew up riding and racing BMX, and realized that being clipped in all the time had allowed me to develop some lazy riding techniques. I will swap the flats on to the trail bike dependent on the mood. I'm not getting into the hole flat vs. clipless debate as I feel like they both have advantages and disadvantages. I will say if you want to practice learning tricks, get comfortable on flats and learn on flats. It will force you to use proper technique to bunny hop, ride tech etc. These same skills will transfer to clipless just fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Curious Mike2MTB howís the fit on the Ripley? Iím 6í 2Ē as well and usually prefer XLís
    RideOn, Hi. I'm 6'2" long torso, short legs, 210 pounds. Love the XL fit on Ripley. Used to ride size Large (old Big Sur, Epic, Chisel). I much prefer the stability of the longer bike. When demoed the Chisel, I kept going back and forth with L and XL - should have gone XL, but took L. It worked, but I went Endo (over the bars) and broke a collarbone after a big double jump. My fork failed on landing ... but I also think I might have had a better chance on a longer bike. So I am biased. All that said, I love the feel of the XL. Much more stable on the downhill (and therefore faster). I do miss how light the Chisel hardtail was when climbing, but the Ripley is the best climber of all the trail bikes I demoed. I think you will love the XL on the Ripley.

BTW, demoed a Large Ripmo. Did not like how small the cockpit felt. Very similar geo to Ripley. Could not find a XL Ripmo to demo at LBS or festivals.

BTW2, the Trail 429 is a great bike too. Like how solid it feels on the trail. However, I prefer the steeper seat tube angle on the Ripley for climbing. I did have some hand pain when I dropped the stack too low. But went away when I raised the stack back up (i.e. added spacers to fork steerer tube.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I just picked up a pair of HT M1 pedals, they're by far the lightest pedal I've held. Waiting for the new ripley to show up so i can see how they feel. a little less platform than the shimano's i've used for the last few years, so we'll see.
    2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I Switch between Crankbrothers eggbeater and Reverse Black One Ti.

Both work well!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I too installed the MRP Ramp Control cartridge on the Fox 34. I had high hopes because I have several friends who run it and really like it, but it had zero effect on my fork. Ease of use vs tokens, sure, but i really think the issues with this fork is elsewhere. Richard Cunninghamís article pretty much nails it IMHO.

Has anyone done this upgrade?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    i'm in the same boat, was told 7/1 for the frame but the deore kit would be 2nd week of july. the factory 34 was showing in stock, but i think that was the fit4 so if they're only sending out ripleys with the 2021 34 and grip 2 i'm not sure if there's a longer wait. I hope not.. i have a riding trip planned for the last weekend in july.
    Yeah, I've emailed Chuck with an estimated timeline for these forks with no response, and my LBS dealer said he's been asking Ibis every day for an answer with no luck. Frustrating that they aren't communicating with their customers or even their dealers right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by pmollenkof View Post
    Yeah, I've emailed Chuck with an estimated timeline for these forks with no response, and my LBS dealer said he's been asking Ibis every day for an answer with no luck. Frustrating that they aren't communicating with their customers or even their dealers right now.
    the ibisb2b site is showing the factory fork for ripley's is the Grip 2 now. just changed in the last few days, so i'm assuming ours will be shipped with the Grip 2. great news.
    2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    I'm itchin' to pull the trigger on a Ripley 4. Thanks to the SIP, I haven't been able to demo the bike properly. At 5'10" a size large is pretty much a given. But I haven't done more than a lap around the parking lot on the Ripley. I did, however, rent a Ripmo 1 a couple years ago at Moab and did The Whole Enchilada and some other area rides on it. I was very comfortable on it and the geometry of the Ripmo 1 is almost identical to the Ripley 4.

My question is this: Can I extrapolate enough from my rides on the Ripmo 1 to be confident that I'll love the Ripley 4? A local shop has the L in Blue which has me salivating like Pavlov's Dog. Thoughts?
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Go for it CCHOUGH!
    YOLO and this bike makes people happy...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Which times are you running?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    RideOn, Hi. I'm 6'2" long torso, short legs, 210 pounds. Love the XL fit on Ripley. Used to ride size Large (old Big Sur, Epic, Chisel). I much prefer the stability of the longer bike. When demoed the Chisel, I kept going back and forth with L and XL - should have gone XL, but took L. It worked, but I went Endo (over the bars) and broke a collarbone after a big double jump. My fork failed on landing ... but I also think I might have had a better chance on a longer bike. So I am biased. All that said, I love the feel of the XL. Much more stable on the downhill (and therefore faster). I do miss how light the Chisel hardtail was when climbing, but the Ripley is the best climber of all the trail bikes I demoed. I think you will love the XL on the Ripley.

BTW, demoed a Large Ripmo. Did not like how small the cockpit felt. Very similar geo to Ripley. Could not find a XL Ripmo to demo at LBS or festivals.

BTW2, the Trail 429 is a great bike too. Like how solid it feels on the trail. However, I prefer the steeper seat tube angle on the Ripley for climbing. I did have some hand pain when I dropped the stack too low. But went away when I raised the stack back up (i.e. added spacers to fork steerer tube.)
    Thanks Mike2MTB for that great reply. Sounds like weíre similarly built. What travel fork did you go with? I think I would lean 140 for more stack, comfort and capability. How about stem length?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cchough View Post
    I'm itchin' to pull the trigger on a Ripley 4. Thanks to the SIP, I haven't been able to demo the bike properly. At 5'10" a size large is pretty much a given. But I haven't done more than a lap around the parking lot on the Ripley. I did, however, rent a Ripmo 1 a couple years ago at Moab and did The Whole Enchilada and some other area rides on it. I was very comfortable on it and the geometry of the Ripmo 1 is almost identical to the Ripley 4.

My question is this: Can I extrapolate enough from my rides on the Ripmo 1 to be confident that I'll love the Ripley 4? A local shop has the L in Blue which has me salivating like Pavlov's Dog. Thoughts?
    I owned both and Iím 5í10 - I had the ripmo in large and it felt ok, went with a medium ripley/60mm stem/ seat slammed back. I liked it a lot but I like small Bikesís.. the Ripley is an outstanding bike but itís not as capable as everyone leads on. If you ride aggressive trails or a lot of flow/jump trails regularly, I personally would go ripmo.

If I could only afford 1 bike it would be sb130

If I could own two bikes - sb100/ripmo 2

If my local trails are primarily x/c or moderately aggressive singletrack the Ripley is hands down the best bike out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Built up my new Ripley this week, took a bunch of parts off my 17í Niner Jet 9 RDO. Took it out this AM for its first ride, Iím in love with it. Climbs so much better and just wants to fly when pointed down or on flow.

Funny thing is, my Fox 34 has a 51mm offset and I was prepared to buy a new CSU to correct the offset to 44mm. I test rode the 51mm today and also rode my buddies Ripley that does have the 44mm offset and I like the 51 better. Am I crazy?

Haha.

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-c8b145a1-46b7-45b8-b502-3b53f4227a91.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    51mm will feel better in slow tech and 44mm will be more stable in higher speeds and downhill.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    51mm will feel better in slow tech and 44mm will be more stable in higher speeds and downhill.

That makes a lot of sense considering I tested the 44mm bike in a slower more technical section of trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have a 44 and ride mostly singletrack highly technical. I don't have another with a 51mm so I don't think much about it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have been dialing in the new Ripley and had an unexpected high speed get off through a turn. I was pushing hard on a fairly steep rocky downhill, as I entered a tight left hander I lost both wheels out from under me seemingly simultaneously. I realize that I am still adjusting to the new rig but I would not have not have lost it like this with my 5010 And I would have been carrying more speed. Iím not going to deal with this for long. Itís great on straight line. Any thoughts for a 155 lb guy. I feel like Iím going to need a new rear shock out back. The grip 2 up front feels good. The Ripley rails on tight twisty and buffed but the same type of turns with chunk seem to get the rear end out of shape really quickly. I think the front end was going well but the back end kicked out from under me and sent me over the edge of the turn so fast it was shocking. Any input would be appreciated.

From a quick search it looks like there are options from
    Manitou with the McLeod-not sure how this would work for a skinny guy
    Cane Creek with the DB-little sketched by past reliability issues and having
    and having to send it off for service.
    DVO - need to figure out which one
    Fox- not spending anymore money on Fox
    Send the Factory float DPS out to get tuned.

The good news is the bike climbs great and I cleaned a section on it that I never have on any other bike. The reality is if I canít get the back end sorted out I wonít own this frame for long.

Iím going to spend some time working on dialing the rear end in tomorrow. I made it through all of my travel on multiple occasions during the ride and in some instances I definitely wasnít expecting to see that.
    Last edited by thenry; 1 Hour Ago at 11:35 PM.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718