2019 Ibis Ripley V4 - Page 15- Mtbr.com
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 2,801 to 2,913 of 2913
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Hit some legit descents here in western NC yesterday, and the bike handled everything incredibly well ...

Front to rear, contrary to what others have said, I never felt like the rear of the bike got overwhelmed or wanted to throw me off balance. The fork, however, definitely met its match on this trail. My 140mm airshaft just came and I'm waiting for my Luftkappe to show up which I'll install at the same time, and I'm expecting this will improve the setup quite a bit ...

For anyone who's wondering about suspension setup, I'm 200lbs and am running 240psi in the rear shock with 5 clicks rebound from closed, and 72psi in the fork, 5 clicks LSC from open, 7 clicks rebound from open. Spacers are still as they came from the factory, which is a 0.6 spacer in the rear with 3 spacers in the fork.
    matt.s67, did you end up swapping the air shaft in the Fox 34 to 140 mm? Did you install the Luftkappe? If yes, did it improve the ride? How did the ride change (vs stock)? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2MTB View Post
    matt.s67, did you end up swapping the air shaft in the Fox 34 to 140 mm? Did you install the Luftkappe? If yes, did it improve the ride? How did the ride change (vs stock)? Thanks.
    Shortly after that post, my life got turned upside down and in a good way. I ended up taking a new job and moved from FL to NC. So, I sold the Ripley to a friend and am back on a Ripmo. I never did install the air shaft or luftkappe, but I did install a luftkappe on the Ripmoís Fox 36 and it made a world of difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    matt.s67, thanks for update. NC is beautiful country.

Now that you went Ripmo to Ripley to Ripmo, you have more experience than most. Can you compare the two bikes (so those on the fence can make a good decision)? Pros/cons of each.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    We have tons of debris and mud up here on the Nor Cal coast throughout the winter months. When trails are really wet our rides consist mostly of the gravel type. What is as important to protect is the stanchion of the dropper post from being pounded with sand, mud, and occasional rock coming off the rear tire.

Consider using a piece of an old inner tube (nor sure many of you use them any more due to tubeless) zip tied to the bottom of the seat and one below on the seat post tube. When dropped the flexible inner tube protector folds beautifully! Now you have more protection for your expensive investment.
    Attachment 1304095
    RooHarris, this is a cool idea.

Took your idea of using an old inner tube ... and applied to making a flexible guard for rear. So far working great for keeping water, mud, snow, dirt, rocks, and muck away from rear suspension. Loose flex from inner tube has ZERO interference with links and suspension performance. Also, light weight. Now I don't have to wash bike after every ride. : )

Name:  Ripley-Rear-Tube-Guard-1-400.png
Views: 248
Size:  272.4 KB

Name:  Ripley-Rear-Tube-Guard-2-400.png
Views: 261
Size:  265.1 KB

Name:  Ripley-Rear-Tube-Guard-3-400.png
Views: 277
Size:  270.4 KB

Name:  Ripley-Rear-Tube-Guard-5-400.png
Views: 280
Size:  260.8 KB

Will work on protection for dropper post next (rear thrown rocks and muck). Thanks for a great idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Ordered end of September.
    Arrived at my LBS today.😎
    Now at least, I can touch it until
    ski season ends and the trails dry out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am also curious about the DB inline. Want more tuning options than the DPS offers

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
    Hmm, haven't noticed that on my XT, but now that you mention it, I do recall seeing something where someone had put velcro strips on the top of the caliper to prevent pad rattle. Please post up how you resolve it.
    I just removed the pads and springs and spread the springs open a little bit with some pliers and reinstalled. The bike is silent now! Sorry to take so long to reply but Iím not getting notifications from this forum anymore for some reason.

mtbr member
    Finally got to shake down the Ripley in AZ last week! In short, there is NOTHING I don't like about the bike! For me and my riding style, it's better in every way than my 2018 Jeffsy.

In long, I'd say the biggest surprises in order would first be the suspension. The Pike Ultimate is awesome, better than my Ribbon Coil! Small bump is fantastic, but it's more supportive than my Ribbon making it a blast to pop off little things, since I'm not doing any BIG drops or airs, it's fun to have some fun where I feel comfortable. The Fox shock with the soft/traction tune is honestly not bad and is as good as my 2017 Super Deluxe RC3. I really didn't want for anything on the rear. This is NOT the crappy DPS that came on my Jeffsy...by any means. The shock and bike in general even handled the extra sag/weight of my 3l water and all day pack.

Next would be the almost immediate comfort on the bike. I thought there would be some 27.5 to 29er getting used to, reach, etc. The way Shaun set up the bike was PERFECT. To put the feel of putting power down into percentage terms, I'd say my Jeffsy was 75% efficient and the Ripley is 96% efficient...with a hard tail being 100%. It just HAULS...in or out of the saddle! It holds a line better, with no over steer (like the Jeffsy) yet it's still great on tight turns and switchbacks.

Lastly, I beat the $hit out of the Rekons for 4 days and have nothing but love for them! Even airing down to 17-18 lbs in the East Mesa sand over hard trails for traction (I'm 205 lbs w/o gear), they were solid. The i9 101 wheelset is great, love the extra engagement I was lacking. The ibis 35mm rise carbon bars are perfect for me and definitely felt little if any fatigue or hand pressure. The 12 speed XT will indeed let you ham-shift it under load! I do get where guys like the snap of the Sram stuff, but I'm more than okay with the XT. XT brakes seem fine too, not grabby, yet I can actually lock up the rear now when I want to square off a corner. Did the 23 mile C4 loop in Cave Creek like it was nothing, the Jeffsy would have definitely taxed me a lot more. I agree with the sentiments about it being a good "mountain" bike, the punchy climbs require less punch, it's still very capable on long climbs and felt like my zone 2 power was hardly more than dropping my leg weight on the pedals. Again, I'm coming for a 32 lb. aluminum bike, so consider the source.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis Ripley V4-76963197-657e-4b13-a689-ff7b04b565bf.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Awesome review and glad you're liking it. Good to hear that Traction Tune works well at your weight. My XL didn't come with Traction Tune. What size are you riding and did it come on the bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Awesome review and glad you're liking it. Good to hear that Traction Tune works well at your weight. My XL didn't come with Traction Tune. What size are you riding and did it come on the bike?
    Interestingly, I bought a used shock from an XL bike. I looked the code up against a friend's medium who has Traction Tune. The only difference is the XL has a medium rebound tune and the medium has a light rebound tune. Otherwise spacer and compression tune the same. Fox said to use about 2 clicks different for the rebound setting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Size Large. And I'll be the first to admit, I've never been satisfied with suspension...always fiddling and changing. I fully expected it to be harsh or mashed potatoes....but it was perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Interestingly, I bought a used shock from an XL bike. I looked the code up against a friend's medium who has Traction Tune. The only difference is the XL has a medium rebound tune and the medium has a light rebound tune. Otherwise spacer and compression tune the same. Fox said to use about 2 clicks different for the rebound setting.

Cool. How much do you weigh and can you compare the traction tune to the regular tune with regards to ride characteristics?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by escrowdog View Post
    Size Large. And I'll be the first to admit, I've never been satisfied with suspension...always fiddling and changing. I fully expected it to be harsh or mashed potatoes....but it was perfect.
    me too, regarding the fiddling and changing. I'm quite happy with the stock Fox shock (no traction tune) but always wonder what 'could be'. I had a CC DB IL on my Tallboy and that was a huge difference. Considering trying that, but the $225 deal I got is no longer available so it's not a cheap thing to try.

mtbr member
    From what Iíve read in this thread, only the small and medium come with the Traction Tune.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    From what Iíve read in this thread, only the small and medium come with the Traction Tune.
    I looked up the shock code. It has the tune.

mtbr member
    I looked up the shock code. It has the tune.
    Whatís the 4 digit code?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The Xl shock is DXBC

The medium is DZGP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicane32 View Post
    whatís the 4 digit code?
    Large...DZGM

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Large...DZGM
    Interestingly, that code comes up as the shock for a small/medium.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Interestingly, that code comes up as the shock for a small/medium.

Bdog, didn't you have a SB100? And now that you've had your Ripley for a while, can you compare and contrast?
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS (loaned out)
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Bdog, didn't you have a SB100? And now that you've had your Ripley for a while, can you compare and contrast?
    Yes I did and got the Ripley in June of last year. I tore down the SB100, but built back up last fall after I crashed the Ripley and needed a new front tri.

The Ripley is just more capable in the rough stuff. It isn't that the SB isn't, but the Ripley is more comfortable. I have started riding more rocks and the SB was a little taxed in these situations. However the SB is faster on the trails it was built for. I have built the Rip heavier duty overall and it's doing really well. I am trying an Storia Ext v3 in the next few weeks. Then I can give a review of OEM build vs how I will have it built.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Is anyone rolling a 2.4 dissector up front?

mtbr member
    The Xl shock is DXBC

The medium is DZGP

Interesting. The Performance shock I have off a medium is DWRC and it shipped after Aug 2019 presumably with the tractive tune. The "light tune" decal on the shock canister is absent as well.

mtbr member
    The Xl shock is DXBC

The medium is DZGP

My Large Factory is also DXBC Factory shock. What does LCL, LRM, CMF abbreviations stand for?

mtbr member
    My Large Factory is also DXBC Factory shock. What does LCL, LRM, CMF abbreviations stand for?
    I believe thats:

Linear compression tune: Low
    Linear rebound tune: Medium
    Climb mode: Firm

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I believe that Ibis doesn't really pay attention to what shock they are putting on what bike. As a previous poster showed, the medium frame doesn't necessarily have a lrl tune. A friend of mine's medium does have lrl, but this posters has lrm. I bet that they put on whatever they have at the time. My original shock on my small which was purchased in June had 0.4 spacer rather than 0.6 spacers they use now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    There's a good thread in wheels and tires about the Dissector. Some folks there are trying in front, rear and all combos between.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I used one on front on a trip to Sedona a few months ago. I'd slot it right between a Rekon and a DHF as far as traction and rolling speed. Good tire out there for the blues and blacks, but too much for around here in Dallas. Put the Rekon back on. I just put a 2.6 Dissector on my Ripmo but haven't ridden it yet. Came in at about a KG.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    A road bike

mtbr member

Build Post

I'm super happy with this bike, and done with making any significant changes for what I hope is a long time so this a good point to post my build. I am waiting for Onyx to get their MicroSpline upgrade kit completed for their classic hubs, but that's about it. XTR cassette is collecting dust. I did try it for a while with a different wheelset, but I decided that I value the Onyx hub more than the superior shifting of HG+. It was a tough call, a total first world problem. The McLeod was the first thing I changed, before I even built up the frame. And the Mezzer was the last, just this past weekend. I was running a Factory 34 at 140mm with a Luftkappe and Fractive kit. Mezzer is better right out of the box.

Frame: Large Matte Braap
    Shock: Manitou McLeod
    Fork: Manitou Mezzer 44mm offset / 140mm travel
    Headset: King + 15mm WolfTooth spacer
    Stem: Syntace Megaforce 2 40mm
    Bars: SQlab 30X Carbon Riser 12 degree
    Grips: SQlab 710
    Brakes: XTR M9120
    Shifter: Archer Components D1x Trail
    Derailleur: XTR M9100
    Chain: XTR 12sp
    Cassette: XTR 10-51 (Garbaruk 11sp 11-50)
    Crankset: XTR M9120 32t, 165mm
    BB: King
    Pedals: HT Components T1 Stealth
    Saddle: Ergon SM Pro
    Wheels: Onyx hubs / BTLOS M-i29A rims / black Berd spokes
    Tires: Schwalbe HD 2.6 w/Rimpact insert, NN 2.35 w/Rimpact Pro insert
    Misc: Spur Cycle bell, Arundel bottle cage
    Weight: 29ish

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_20200128_172824_2.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes. I presently have a Dissector 2.4 front and rear on my Ripley. Initially also ran the Dissector front with a Rekon rear. I really like it for NorCal. Iíve been riding my bigger bike through the winter though, so no experience with it in mud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    @Velodonata

Very nice build, thanks for sharing. I am interested to hear your impressions of the Berd spoked wheels. Did Berd build them? Also, did you do 165mm crank arms for ground clearance? What do you like better about the Manitou fork over the Fox? One last question, why do you also list an 11spd cassette?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bizango View Post
    I am interested to hear your impressions of the Berd spoked wheels. Did Berd build them? Also, did you do 165mm crank arms for ground clearance? What do you like better about the Manitou fork over the Fox? One last question, why do you also list an 11spd cassette?
    The bike is smooth and comfortable and the Berd spokes have some contribution to that, but I don't think they have a dramatic effect. I have also run a traditional aluminum rim and Sapim spoked wheelset on the bike and it's one of those things where you don't want to drink the Kool-Aid too much but the Berds do seem to soften and smooth out the ride. But I also run Onyx hubs with the Berds which add to that feeling. Although that same change replaces aluminum rims with some stiff carbon so not feeling an increase in harshness might be a small victory in itself. Beyond all that, the Berds remove a quarter pound or so of rotating weight and will hopefully be more durable than steel spokes. The original plan was to have Berd do it but I ended up building the wheels myself. It's not hard once you get used to the idea that final tension is a moving target for a few days.

The 165mm cranks are for ground clearance, yes, however that choice predates the Ripley. When I finally made the move from my trusty steel hardtail to a modern full squishy 29er (2015 Transition Smuggler), I also made the change to 165 cranks to proactively help avoid too many pedal strikes based on experiences with rental bikes and demos. Since I can't really tell much difference otherwise from 175 cranks, I'm now running them on all my bikes. Some of my riding buddies have also made the jump and so far nobody regrets it.

I've had good luck with Manitou McLeod shocks so I have been wanting to try a Manitou fork. The Mezzer fork wasn't available yet when I ordered the frame, so I initially bought a 140mm Fox 34. I only recently installed it but my initial feelings are that the Mezzer is superior in every way other than being about 0.4lbs heavier. It's considerably stiffer, the Dorado/IRT air spring system is better than even the 34 with a Luftkappe as I ran it, and it's easier to service and tune. It can be run at any travel from 140 - 180 with no extra parts beyond the spacers it ships with. I am also over Kashima after having problems with peeling on another fork that was about 3 years old at the time. Basically I have been throwing money at Fox forks for years to improve them and the Mezzer is better right out of the box than any of them. I think the IRT spring is the primary reason, and that is currently difficult to duplicate on the aftermarket in the 34 chassis. The Mezzer damper also seems to be better, I installed a Vorsprung Fractive kit in the FIT4 and while that was an improvement it's something that won't be needed with the Mezzer. And after having the FIT4 apart, I was unimpressed. The stock compression piston is an ugly pot metal casting, which seems lame for a $900+ fork. The FIT4 has to be bled through the adjuster mechanism and putting the tiny parts back in afterwards is a huge PITA for old eyes and big hands. The Mezzer damper looks and feels at least as well made as the FIT4, I don't believe there are any pot metal castings lurking inside it, it has two actual bleed ports, and it has a hydraulic bottom out circuit built in. Something that requires a purchase from Avalanche to duplicate on the Fox.

The 11 speed Garbaruk cassette is my compromise to be able to run the Onyx hubbed wheelset. Onyx has been struggling to get their MicroSpline driver ready for their original version hubs like I have. It is many months overdue from when they originally planned to be shipping it. I did try the XTR 12 speed cassette with another wheelset and it definitely shifts better than X01 or the Garbaruk, but I had to make a choice while I wait for Onyx. The Archer shifting allows for easy swapping between 11 and 12 speed, I even considered trying a Box Prime 9 but they are too expensive when I already have the XTR and I know that nothing else if going to shift as well as HG+. I would be all about a HG+ 10 speed 10-51 cassette. But it's about a zero chance of Shimano making such a thing.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the detailed answers. There were some unique bits in there that I knew were deliberate, so I was curious about the background. Hopefully you have fun on the bike! Post an update after you have some time on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Bike Rumor lists the following: Light Tune shocks will have codes reading DZGP, DZGN or DZGM. Standard Tune codes will be DXBC, DWSL and DWRC.

mtbr member
    Bike Rumor lists the following: Light Tune shocks will have codes reading DZGP, DZGN or DZGM. Standard Tune codes will be DXBC, DWSL and DWRC.
    That's where I got my info from as well (DZGM on my Large). I can say this, if it's NOT the light tune, I don't want it any lighter, perfect as it is!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Per Fox, the DZGM is for Small and Medium Ripleys and has High Compression, Light Rebound, and Firm Closed Mode. Somebody's maybe putting the wrong forks on the wrong bikes?
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.p...ref=findbycode

That fork is supposed to be on a Small or Medium Ripley and has Light Compression (LCL) and Light Rebound (LRL).
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post

That fork is supposed to be on a Small or Medium Ripley and has Light Compression (LCL) and Light Rebound (LRL).
    Fork??? We're talking rear shocks here...just to clarify.

And that code DZGM does not even pull up on Fox's site at all, I got no return.

mtbr member

I think he knows we mean shock. DZGM comes up as SM-Med. Spell check auto changed the 4 letters the first couple times I entered the
    code. I copied/ pasted but it doesnít retain the info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I think he knows we mean shock. DZGM comes up as SM-Med. Spell check auto changed the 4 letters the first couple times I entered the
    And the difference between that and the shock off the XL I have is light vs medium rebound. Otherwise the same.

mtbr member
    Okay I got it to load! I see it now. Weird. I guess I could ask Shaun at N+1 about it. Maybe when I asked for the black performance shock that's what he had on hand? Guessing the frame came with the kashima. Honestly the shock is GREAT, as I said, WAY better than I had anticipated. After 4 days in AZ riding I don't have anything to complain about...and I'm the first one to complain about suspension. LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It seems that all 3 traction tune codes come up listing as size SM-MD. No idea what the difference is between the 3 traction tune codes. They appear the same.

jrm
    mtbr member

Read your and others replies on the dissector thread in wheels & tires

Got the 2.4 dissector & Rekon tires last night but got home to late to attempt to install um. Still building..slowly..

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

D'oh! Yeah, I meant rear shock. I've been mostly looking up fork info lately and was still in that mindset.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It seems that all 3 traction tune codes come up listing as size SM-MD. No idea what the difference is between the 3 traction tune codes. They appear the same.
    The last letters "P", "N", and "M" are just Pantone colors of the decals I think.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    anyone compare the ripley to the niner jet9??

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Can someone try 27.5 rear wheel and 190/50 rear shock work? Itís gonna be super-lightweight mullet trail bike if it does.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
    anyone compare the ripley to the niner jet9??
    Not to fanboy you, but Niner hasn't made a great bike in a long time. There are many great bikes out there to cross shop the ripley with, but the niner jet9 isn't one of them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Anyone have the weight on an XL/GX with factory suspension?

Also, carbon wheels worth it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

2020 Ripley v4

Here's my contribution. First impressions are positive and sizing up for a bit more room in the cockpit seems to be the right decision. I'm still working on the bar/stem combo as well as setting up the suspension - I'm currently blowing through my travel on moderate hits. Off to pick up some volume spacers for the rear shock.

- XL Frame. XT build and swapped in a Pike at 140. This is my first complete build in almost 20 years.

Cheers!

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-ripley_reduced.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsurun View Post
    Can someone try 27.5 rear wheel and 190/50 rear shock work? Itís gonna be super-lightweight mullet trail bike if it does.
    A 190x50 shock will damage the frame, the upper link will hit the back of the seat tube. It's very close at full compression with the stock 190x45. An offset bushing or two set to extend the eye to eye on the stock shock would probably do what you want.

*not saying if it's a good idea just that it is less likely to wreck the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I cruised the replies but not sure I saw this answered;

can you fit a DPX2 on the ripley?

was hoping to make a lightweight brawler, and i'm a heavier rider so the DPX2 would offer more support for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annadel Adam View Post
    I cruised the replies but not sure I saw this answered;

can you fit a DPX2 on the ripley?

was hoping to make a lightweight brawler, and i'm a heavier rider so the DPX2 would offer more support for me.
    Official Ibis answer: No
    ďFox doesn't make a 190 x 45 for the Ripley

https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m=bike&family=dpx2

Iím sure someone will chime in and say how to make it work with spacers etc but I am not that brave. There are posts with dvo but sure if that is ďofficialĒ either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    A 190x50 shock will damage the frame, the upper link will hit the back of the seat tube. It's very close at full compression with the stock 190x45. An offset bushing or two set to extend the eye to eye on the stock shock would probably do what you want.

*not saying if it's a good idea just that it is less likely to wreck the frame.
    The upper link, I got it, thanks for confirming. I wonít do that or offset bushing.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    2019 Pivot Trail 429 Come with a fox dpx2 190x45. They sell on pink bike now and again. You might also be able to get a replacement from pivot if you say you have one of there bikes
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    2019 Pivot Trail 429 Come with a fox dpx2 190x45. They sell on pink bike now and again. You might also be able to get a replacement from pivot if you say you have one of there bikes
    this! you can buy a dpx2 from a trail 429 on pinkbike it's the same dimensions of the stock dps shock the frame comes from Ibis!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    this! you can buy a dpx2 from a trail 429 on pinkbike it's the same dimensions of the stock dps shock the frame comes from Ibis!
    If folks riding a 429 are ditching the DPX2, what are they replacing them with? If there's an even better option than a DPX2, would it be worthwhile to straight to that option instead? If the DPX2 fits the 429 and the Ripley, then the upgrade Shock X that fits the 429 should also fit the Ripley, no?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonF1 View Post
    If folks riding a 429 are ditching the DPX2, what are they replacing them with? If there's an even better option than a DPX2, would it be worthwhile to straight to that option instead? If the DPX2 fits the 429 and the Ripley, then the upgrade Shock X that fits the 429 should also fit the Ripley, no?
    Some riders feel the DPX2 isn't needed for their riding and go back to the DPS on their 429, so there may not be a magical shock X that you mention.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Some riders feel the DPX2 isn't needed for their riding and go back to the DPS on their 429, so there may not be a magical shock X that you mention.
    Use a DPX2 on my Ripley V3. Itís much better than the DPS it came with.

mtbr member
    2019 Ibis Ripley V4-ff6aed6b-301e-4295-9735-8677ec400409.jpeg

New addition. Iíll probably put a DB Air IL on it eventually.

mtbr member
    Wondering if anyone has tried a Super Deluxe 190x45? Will the reservoir hit the frame when compressed? Really thinking about building up a beefier trail bike with a Super Deluxe/Pike Ultimate 140, but not interested in as much travel as the Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiliDog76 View Post
    Wondering if anyone has tried a Super Deluxe 190x45? Will the reservoir hit the frame when compressed? Really thinking about building up a beefier trail bike with a Super Deluxe/Pike Ultimate 140, but not interested in as much travel as the Ripmo.
    There may be a schematic online you can print and enlarge to actual size. I did this for another shock to check clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was looking at the measurements of Super Deluxe against my XL Ripley 4 and I think it fits ok but is the Super Deluxe really available in 190x45? Sram site says it is but haven't seen that size in any online store

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xizor1 View Post
    I was looking at the measurements of Super Deluxe against my XL Ripley 4 and I think it fits ok but is the Super Deluxe really available in 190x45? Sram site says it is but haven't seen that size in any online store

Same goes for the CC Inline IL. Not sure it's an option on the v4.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Nice! How are you liking the Lightbicycle wheels for the Ripley?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Super Deluxe / Pike

"Wondering if anyone has tried a Super Deluxe 190x45? Will the reservoir hit the frame when compressed? Really thinking about building up a beefier trail bike with a Super Deluxe/Pike Ultimate 140, but not interested in as much travel as the Ripmo."

"I was looking at the measurements of Super Deluxe against my XL Ripley 4 and I think it fits ok but is the Super Deluxe really available in 190x45? Sram site says it is but haven't seen that size in any online store."

I'm planning on a Ripley V4 build with those exact parts. After seeing rockman's DVO Topaz, I lucked out and found a Super Deluxe Ultimate DH from a new Optic! Whether or not they make that 190/45 size outside of the OEM spec, I don't know. Got everything together, just need a large black frame now!

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_0087.jpg
    2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_0086.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mpowers View Post
    Nice! How are you liking the Lightbicycle wheels for the Ripley?
    Theyíve been solid so far.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Race Face cranks - how many spacers do you have behind the BB 30 bearing cups ?

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk

Combining Old and Bold
    I'm super happy with this bike, and done with making any significant changes for what I hope is a long time so this a good point to post my build. I am waiting for Onyx to get their MicroSpline upgrade kit completed for their classic hubs, but that's about it. XTR cassette is collecting dust. I did try it for a while with a different wheelset, but I decided that I value the Onyx hub more than the superior shifting of HG+. It was a tough call, a total first world problem. The McLeod was the first thing I changed, before I even built up the frame. And the Mezzer was the last, just this past weekend. I was running a Factory 34 at 140mm with a Luftkappe and Fractive kit. Mezzer is better right out of the box.

Frame: Large Matte Braap
    Shock: Manitou McLeod
    Fork: Manitou Mezzer 44mm offset / 140mm travel
    Headset: King + 15mm WolfTooth spacer
    Stem: Syntace Megaforce 2 40mm
    Bars: SQlab 30X Carbon Riser 12 degree
    Grips: SQlab 710

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200128_172824_2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	509.5 KB 
ID:	1308307
    I've had my eyes on the higher sweep SQlab bars for a while now. Do you have feedback? I'm looking for wrist/hand relief for longer rides as well as a more natural feeling cockpit. I have seen 12 degree and 16 degree sweep on these, though the 16 is a more radical departure from a typical trail bike setup. Also, have you had to lengthen your stem to make up for the distance that the sweep sets your hands back? If so, how much?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHog View Post
    I've had my eyes on the higher sweep SQlab bars for a while now. Do you have feedback? I'm looking for wrist/hand relief for longer rides as well as a more natural feeling cockpit. I have seen 12 degree and 16 degree sweep on these, though the 16 is a more radical departure from a typical trail bike setup. Also, have you had to lengthen your stem to make up for the distance that the sweep sets your hands back? If so, how much?

Thanks in advance!
    Take a look at Answer 20/20 bars. The nice thing with them is they sweep forward first then back, so no need to change stem length. Been running them for over a year and really like them.

https://shop.hayesperformance.com/co...11637443002404
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spudNuts View Post
    "Wondering if anyone has tried a Super Deluxe 190x45? Will the reservoir hit the frame when compressed? Really thinking about building up a beefier trail bike with a Super Deluxe/Pike Ultimate 140, but not interested in as much travel as the Ripmo."

"I was looking at the measurements of Super Deluxe against my XL Ripley 4 and I think it fits ok but is the Super Deluxe really available in 190x45? Sram site says it is but haven't seen that size in any online store."

I'm planning on a Ripley V4 build with those exact parts. After seeing rockman's DVO Topaz, I lucked out and found a Super Deluxe Ultimate DH from a new Optic! Whether or not they make that 190/45 size outside of the OEM spec, I don't know. Got everything together, just need a large black frame now!

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	1310463

Name:	IMG_0086.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	1310465
    Got this rely from Ibis Yesterday:

"I don't think we've tried that on the Ripley. Depending on the size of the Ripley, you could possibly make it fit by turning the reservoir down. You'd lose bottle clearance then"

I ride a medium and am really considering switching to this combo. SpudNuts hope you get your frame soon. Looking forward to the outcome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Got this rely from Ibis Yesterday:

"I don't think we've tried that on the Ripley. Depending on the size of the Ripley, you could possibly make it fit by turning the reservoir down. You'd lose bottle clearance then"

I ride a medium and am really considering switching to this combo. SpudNuts hope you get your frame soon. Looking forward to the outcome.
    If the Super Deluxe dimensions are anything like Fox dpx2 then it should fit with extra reservoir up.

With the dpx2 it seems to be about 60mm from the eye of the shock to the outer edge of the reservoir and at least in the XL sized frame there is plenty of room

Combining Old and Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Take a look at Answer 20/20 bars. The nice thing with them is they sweep forward first then back, so no need to change stem length. Been running them for over a year and really like them.

https://shop.hayesperformance.com/co...11637443002404
    Nice find. I like the fact that you keep the same stem length. I was thinking of wading into this high sweep thing a little more gradually, as in 12-16 deg sweep. What are your impressions of having 20 deg sweep? What were you trying to solve, and are there any downsides, especially in rugged terrain?

mtbr member
    I really like them, enough that I also bought the alloy version for my old hardtail that primarily gets used around town and on the trainer. I had tried a higher angle sweep on a friend's bike and didn't care for it but these work really well for me. I was comfortable with them right from the start and I didn't have to change stems, the bars sweep just a bit forward before they come back and it is very close to evening out with my old bars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice find. I like the fact that you keep the same stem length. I was thinking of wading into this high sweep thing a little more gradually, as in 12-16 deg sweep. What are your impressions of having 20 deg sweep? What were you trying to solve, and are there any downsides, especially in rugged terrain?
    Wrist/hand pain. Might take a little to get used too- don't remember, but I can say I've been to a bike park a few times on them and it didn't affect my riding.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 1 Week Ago at 09:38 AM.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

Combining Old and Bold
    Thanks, TwoTone and Velodonata. I'm encouraged to try it out.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Whatever it takes to achieve a chainline of 52mm or 168mm Q Factor..as per Ibis..

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tsurun View Post
    The upper link, I got it, thanks for confirming. I wonít do that or offset bushing.

we just mounted my DVO Topaz 190x50 on my buddy's Ripley V4 Large with no clearance problems at all so not sure why these posts claim they dont fit. He likes it way better than the factory fox dps that came with the bike. Much more plush ride and some extra travel. I had the same result on my V3 but had to use an offset bushing. Not needed on the V4.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitunc View Post
    we just mounted my DVO Topaz 190x50 on my buddy's Ripley V4 Large with no clearance problems at all so not sure why these posts claim they dont fit. He likes it way better than the factory fox dps that came with the bike. Much more plush ride and some extra travel. I had the same result on my V3 but had to use an offset bushing. Not needed on the V4.
    Oh it's not that they don't fit, they fit just fine. Same eye to eye, same fit. You just have to be OK with your hard bottom out stop possibly becoming the upper link hitting the back of the seat tube, and hoping that the tire rubbing on the frame boss for the upper link is enough to stop the upper link from breaking the frame. If you never bottom it out, you will never notice a problem. But it could take just one hard bottom out to change your entire outlook on the swap. 5mm isn't much but it takes away a big chunk of the safety factor built into the frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have ordered the GX and hope to get it in a couple of weeks. Looking through the specs I was wondering about the Deore two piston brakes. It's basically what I have on my commuter, only bigger rotors. For example the comparable Pivot Trail429 build comes with four piston SLX brakes and XT rotors.

What do you think? Are they enough for the bike? Did anyone upgrade to Shimano four piston SLX or XT? I will use the bike for natural rocky trails. Technical climbing, and short technical downhills, sometimes pretty steep, overheating isn't worrying me, but stopping power is. 175 lbs kitted incl water to be very specific

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Oh it's not that they don't fit, they fit just fine. Same eye to eye, same fit. You just have to be OK with your hard bottom out stop possibly becoming the upper link hitting the back of the seat tube, and hoping that the tire rubbing on the frame boss for the upper link is enough to stop the upper link from breaking the frame. If you never bottom it out, you will never notice a problem. But it could take just one hard bottom out to change your entire outlook on the swap. 5mm isn't much but it takes away a big chunk of the safety factor built into the frame.
    Moving the suspension without any pressure in the shock shows no indication that the tire or link could get close to touching the seat tube on bottom out. I do wish dvo would make a 45mm stroke though, and a 184 for my v3

mtbr member
    Itís on, just need to tune it up.
    2019 Ibis Ripley V4-4d0204bf-891a-4990-a016-4770f7e1e4cc.jpg

mtbr member
    Moving the suspension without any pressure in the shock shows no indication that the tire or link could get close to touching the seat tube on bottom out. I do wish dvo would make a 45mm stroke though, and a 184 for my v3
    DVO changed the stroke length at no extra charge. But that was on a new purchase.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Do Not Use that shock on that bike! You will break the frame. if you limit the stroke, then you will be fine, but 1 hard bottom out will fubar the frame.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    what do you guys think of following adjustment to my mcleod shock:
    right now the shock has some plastic spacers in neg chamber. i believe these are used to space the shock to 190x45. lets say i remove 5mm spacer from there, this will give me
    195x50 shock, correct? seems like on my xl, the yoke is far enough from seat tube
    to accommodate extra 5mm? this should not pose problem to bottom-out, as i will not just be adding shaft length but also overall ete? this should give me bit higher bb and steeper ha but i would not mind the bb a bit higher and i am running 140 fork so going a bit steeper ha should be ok. any idea what extra travel would this give me? or am i totally off here?

mtbr member
    https://dvosuspension.com/product/topaz-t3-air-shock/

The 190 x 45 size is shown in the DVO store's pull down menu for the Topaz T3

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by H-akka View Post
    I have ordered the GX and hope to get it in a couple of weeks. Looking through the specs I was wondering about the Deore two piston brakes. It's basically what I have on my commuter, only bigger rotors. For example the comparable Pivot Trail429 build comes with four piston SLX brakes and XT rotors.

What do you think? Are they enough for the bike? Did anyone upgrade to Shimano four piston SLX or XT? I will use the bike for natural rocky trails. Technical climbing, and short technical downhills, sometimes pretty steep, overheating isn't worrying me, but stopping power is. 175 lbs kitted incl water to be very specific
    I actually was in the same spot as you when I bought my ripley last year. Same weight as you as well. I was going to upgrade the brakes right off the bat to 4 piston before I even picked up the bike but decided against it. I thought I would hold off and see how they did first and I'm happy to say the stock deore have been perfect. More than enough power so far and now if I really wanted even more power I would upgrade to a 203 rotor up front before I went to 4 piston.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Upload photo that the rear shock full compressed,please!!

mtbr member
    Pike 140 vs fix 34 140.
    Anyone ride with fox 34 and with pike ultimate 140 and can comment on the change in handling from experience? Given the decreased offset 44 to 42 and increase ac of pike vs 34. Iím building a bike from frame up and trying to decide between the 2. Leaning towards the pike from reviews but concerned with the change in offset and additional ac higher compared with fox.

I am looking for a 140 to handle rockier terrain, give me a margin of error, raise the BB, and slacken my STA. But concerned how it will effect handling

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

I also bought a GX build and i did one upgrade from the shop, 4 piston XT brakes, I have code RSCs on my Ripmo, so wanted better stopping power on Ripley. I always opt to over brake then under brake my bike. This was supposed to be my budget build, but then I subsequentlyu bought an I9 stem, XX1 oil slick cassette and chain, descendant 170mm carbon crank, and then finally We Are Carbon rims with I9 hubs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

I have a gx Ripmo that came with BL-MT501/BR-MT520 shimano brakes. They are great and the best brakes I have used.

Review of them here.

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/tested-...145-per-brake/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    what do you guys think of following adjustment to my mcleod shock:
    right now the shock has some plastic spacers in neg chamber. i believe these are used to space the shock to 190x45. lets say i remove 5mm spacer from there, this will give me
    195x50 shock, correct? seems like on my xl, the yoke is far enough from seat tube
    to accommodate extra 5mm? this should not pose problem to bottom-out, as i will not just be adding shaft length but also overall ete? this should give me bit higher bb and steeper ha but i would not mind the bb a bit higher and i am running 140 fork so going a bit steeper ha should be ok. any idea what extra travel would this give me? or am i totally off here?
    I'm not sure there is much to be gained but if you are aware of the risks I don't see why you couldn't play around a bit and see. First I would measure eye to eye with the air can off, this would show you the max that the shock is capable of at a solid top out. Put it back on the frame this way and make sure there are no issues at the theoretical maximum range of travel. The negative air chamber volume is also set with those spacers, so you will be changing other aspects of the shock's intended function than just stroke and overall length, and there are very limited ways to compensate by adjusting negative air pressure with the McLeod. Pretty much anything you do with changing stroke or travel length is getting into a grey zone but slightly lengthening the shock is generally safer than going the other way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by crgettle View Post
    I actually was in the same spot as you when I bought my ripley last year. Same weight as you as well. I was going to upgrade the brakes right off the bat to 4 piston before I even picked up the bike but decided against it. I thought I would hold off and see how they did first and I'm happy to say the stock deore have been perfect. More than enough power so far and now if I really wanted even more power I would upgrade to a 203 rotor up front before I went to 4 piston.
    Thanks! I'll resist upgrading from start and try the stock Deore first. It ships with resin pads right? You didn't even swap out the pads? Can't wait to ride it anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My deoreís came with semi metallic pads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    That's funny because my deors came with resin pads. I did switch them to metalic right off the bat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Any info/experiences about which 29x26 tyres are ok in the back? I had a Butcher 2.6 (30mm rim) and it was quite fine but now trying 2.6 Mezcal (G2) and at full shock compression the upper link hits the tyre so bit of a no go :-(

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_20200220_105302.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Any info/experiences about which 29x26 tyres are ok in the back? I had a Butcher 2.6 (30mm rim) and it was quite fine but now trying 2.6 Mezcal (G2) and at full shock compression the upper link hits the tyre so bit of a no go :-(

Name:	IMG_20200220_105302.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	1312731
    I can tell you that the 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekon's also rub at full compression. The top of the tread only slightly buzzes the link and does not cause it to lock up or slow as the clearance is super tight but still has a whisp of daylight between them.

See my older post for the same description and pics as yours.

https://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/2019-ib...l#post14493045

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I can tell you that the 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekon's also rub at full compression. The top of the tread only slightly buzzes the link and does not cause it to lock up or slow as the clearance is super tight but still has a whisp of daylight between them.

See my older post for the same description and pics as yours.
    Ok, thanks for the info! This Mezcal 2.6 seems quite big, now that it's stretched a bit on the rim I measured it 68mm wide and height is 90mm from the inner edge of the rim to the top of knobs. (compared to 2.6 Barzo which is 64mm and 85mm on the same rim)

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Ok, thanks for the info! This Mezcal 2.6 seems quite big, now that it's stretched a bit on the rim I measured it 68mm wide and height is 90mm from the inner edge of the rim to the top of knobs. (compared to 2.6 Barzo which is 64mm and 85mm on the same rim)

Of the 2 factory tire options offered by Ibis for the Ripley, the Schwalbe Nobby Nic can be had with it in a 2.6" width so perhaps that tire does *not* rub on full compression.

It would seem that 2.6 is the absolute upper limit and in some cases, is not actually ideal as evidenced by the reports of rubbing and as such a 2.5/2.4 might be a safer bet. The Other factory tire option, the 2.5 Assegai, didnt rub when i first received my bike with them. Though i only did a couple rides before taking them off in favor of a lighter tire.

mtbr member
    Any info/experiences about which 29x26 tyres are ok in the back?
    Bontrager XR4 29x2.6 tire on Ibis S35 rim, there is a few mm of clearance with the shock fully compressed.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    How you like the XR4 as a rear tire? I have an XR4 front in 2.6 and thought about going with another for the rear after seeing the XR2 2.6, however the XR2 has been pretty solid, way better than the NN or a Rekon. I had my doubts that an 800ish gram tire would hold up, but I have about 200 miles of AZ trails on them with nary an issue. Wish they made the XR3 in 2.6
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol

mtbr member
    On my other bike (rigid) I had XR2 29x3.0.I found the XR2 to roll fast but was left desiring more grip on local XC trails (mid-Atlantic, roots, creeks, very Earthy). I downsized to 29x2.6 XR4 on that bike and it matched my needs. In addition to grip, the XR4 is a more comfortable ride because the durable sidewalls provide better damping.

More grip, more comfort, more durable = XR4

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just as an FYI - I ordered my Ripley with the 2.6Ē Nobby Nic option from Ibis and received a 2.35Ē Nobby Nic and a 2.35Ē Hans Dampf. Iím happy with what I got, but was surprised to see something different than what was specíd / ordered.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlong724 View Post
    Just as an FYI - I ordered my Ripley with the 2.6Ē Nobby Nic option from Ibis and received a 2.35Ē Nobby Nic and a 2.35Ē Hans Dampf. Iím happy with what I got, but was surprised to see something different than what was specíd / ordered.
    Which wheelset did it come with?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Hmm.. Perhaps they received reports from the field of rubbing with the 2.6 and decided to revise the offering. Seems the only size below the NN 2.6 is the 2.35 so unfortunately its a pretty big jump in width.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    Bontrager XR4 29x2.6 tire on Ibis S35 rim, there is a few mm of clearance with the shock fully compressed.
    Statically there may be clearance, but do you get any rub under bottom out/riding conditions? For instance, My 2.6 Rekon barely clears with a hair of daylight between it and the link when i fully deflated the shock, however, while riding i was bottoming out on a high g-out decline (shock was not set up properly) and the tire was buzzing the link. I'm still riding the tire but my shock is adjusted differently now with more pressure and progression with a bigger spacer to avoid this.

mtbr member
    Statically there may be clearance, but do you get any rub under bottom out/riding conditions? .
    My comment was based on deflating the shock to check the clearance. No bottoming out in the real world but I ride with higher pressures. I'm far from a suspension expert and most of my riding is on a rigid MTB. When the weather warms/dries up I will start putting real miles on the Ripley and learn to tune the suspension. Right now it's just art work in the man cave.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    My comment was based on deflating the shock to check the clearance. No bottoming out in the real world but I ride with higher pressures. I'm far from a suspension expert and most of my riding is on a rigid MTB. When the weather warms/dries up I will start putting real miles on the Ripley and learn to tune the suspension. Right now it's just art work in the man cave.
    It seems as it's only 2.6 clearance in theory. I've read it in many places now that it doesn't clear 2.6 without destroying the paint. Personally I heard it way back in a podcast, but I prefer 2.3-2.4 in the back so I decided I was OK with it anyway. It's not enough compressing the shock in the garage, you have to have some mm extra clearance for small rocks getting wedged in the tread pattern etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Do you know which versions it came with, there are many compound and side wall variations of these tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Maybe then Hans Dampf 2.6 would fit in the back as it seems to be even a bit smaller than 2.6 Nobby Nic

(I was planning running HD 2.6 Addix Soft front & back on my other wheelset for wet conditions)

mtbr member
    It seems as it's only 2.6 clearance in theory. I've read it in many places now that it doesn't clear 2.6 without destroying the paint. Personally I heard it way back in a podcast, but I prefer 2.3-2.4 in the back so I decided I was OK with it anyway. It's not enough compressing the shock in the garage, you have to have some mm extra clearance for small rocks getting wedged in the tread pattern etc.
    I just measured and got 4mm of MINIMUM clearance to the link, shock fully compressed, measured to the tallest knob on a new 29x2.6 Bontrager XR4.

mtbr member
    Maybe then Hans Dampf 2.6 would fit in the back as it seems to be even a bit smaller than 2.6 Nobby Nic

(I was planning running HD 2.6 Addix Soft front & back on my other wheelset for wet conditions)

I've run a 2.6 HD with no problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I just measured and got 4mm of MINIMUM clearance to the link, shock fully compressed, measured to the tallest knob on a new 29x2.6 Bontrager XR4.
    I guess that's minimum I'd feel ok with. A beefier 2.6 might not work. Also some 2.6s are closer to 2.4 while some are really 2.6 in reality. I guess caution and common sense needs to be used. I'm going for 2.35 which I think is OK for a trail bike. I run DHR II 2.4 WT on my bigger bike.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415