Results 2,401 to 2,561 of 2561
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    What makes it dentist?
    Que the "teeth" jokes...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by FloImSchnee View Post
    Haha, calling this a budget build clearly shows, that Ibis is a dentist brand...
    dt350 and GX? you must go to a big box franchise dentist

mtbr member
    What makes it dentist?
    One usually doesn't see XTR, X01, Fox Factory, Eggbeater Ti, Lyft on a "budget" build.

Guys, don't take my joke too seriously, all fine with riding nice bikes.
    Was only amused by reading "budget" in connection with such a part list.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Just curious if there are any 200+ riders here? Iím 210 with kit. Want to buy a ripley but Iím a bit concerned about lots of flex or breaking something. Probably being paranoid but itís pretty tough to demo (as in wait till next outerbike tough lol) a ripley here and read a few guys broke bottom bracket in the 29ers forum.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Ripley is plenty strong for big aggressive riders. I wouldn't huck it to flat off 5+ foot drops but anything else you should be fine. The frame and swingarm interface with it's heavy duty lower link and bushings is one of the stiffest period.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelandk2 View Post
    Just curious if there are any 200+ riders here? Iím 210 with kit. Want to buy a ripley but Iím a bit concerned about lots of flex or breaking something. Probably being paranoid but itís pretty tough to demo (as in wait till next outerbike tough lol) a ripley here and read a few guys broke bottom bracket in the 29ers forum.
    flex and broken BBs, lol, no kidding. was it a ripley vs "another bike" battle thread that you read this?

i am 195 rtr and smash it through whatever, dont feel any more flexy than my hd3, which isnt flexy at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Ripley is plenty strong for big aggressive riders. I wouldn't huck it to flat off 5+ foot drops but anything else you should be fine. The frame and swingarm interface with it's heavy duty lower link and bushings is one of the stiffest period.
    I've hucked my Ripley off plenty of 4-5 ft drops, never had an issue at 200-210lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    I've hucked my Ripley off plenty of 4-5 ft drops, never had an issue at 200-210lbs.

awesome fears mostly gone . Was listening to mtbyumyum who maybe just doesnít know as he weighs so little. I donít ride to insane anyway

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone else running a 34T chainring and AXS XX1? I followed SRAM's instructions and am getting crazy chain slap (see pic from bunnyhop). I tried taking out a link, readjusting b-tension and limits, but my shifting wasn't right and derailleur almost rubbed the frame when in smallest cog.

Is this normal for AXS XX1, or is it just the combination of CSL and chainring that puts it between links?

Name:  IMG_3138.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  51.6 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorXman View Post
    Anyone else running a 34T chainring and AXS XX1? I followed SRAM's instructions and am getting crazy chain slap (see pic from bunnyhop). I tried taking out a link, readjusting b-tension and limits, but my shifting wasn't right and derailleur almost rubbed the frame when in smallest cog.

Is this normal for AXS XX1, or is it just the combination of CSL and chainring that puts it between links?

Name:  IMG_3138.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  51.6 KB
    No issues on my 34t. What gear are you in, your chain does look too long, but it's hard to tell.

awesome fears mostly gone . Was listening to mtbyumyum who maybe just doesnít know as he weighs so little. I donít ride to insane anyway
    He has ultra light wheels and they have far more flex than the frame. Get the ibis wheels and you will be a happy camper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 215 before gear, haven't broken my OG Ripley, LS or V4 and love air.

Like others, love to see this thread with broken BB.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorXman View Post

Used to run one of these for years, before clutched RD eliminated the need. it might help with your situation if you don't get it resolved.
    https://www.amazon.com/B-Labs-C-Guide-Eco-Chain-Tensioner/dp/B00HZRCZBS

I have the earlier AL version.
    here's a reveiw of the original:
    https://reviews.mtbr.com/bionicon-c-...ongterm-review
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    May 2019

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    lol, like is suspected, a VS thread, where anyone would say anything just to prove their bike is superior.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    lol, like is suspected, a VS thread, where anyone would say anything just to prove their bike is superior.
    exactly
    i have seen or heard of dozens of pivots with broken BBs, its that easy. lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    No issues on my 34t. What gear are you in, your chain does look too long, but it's hard to tell.
    I'm in the 5th highest gear/smallest cog. Slaps way more than the GX on my Vanquish HT doing the same flat ground bunny hops. Here are some pics of how it looks on smallest and biggest cogs:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_3142.jpg  

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_3143.jpg  

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_3144.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    it honestly just looks to me like that cage doesnt give enough chain wrap. your 1st gear is REALLY tight if thats fully extended rear suspension. and obviously nowhere near enough slack in 12th gear. gotta love it...

Javascript Bicycle Chain Length Calculator

add about 20mm to chainstay length here to account for chain growth and use "large derailleur". this should get you close.

maybe the SRAM derailluer just has too much slop to shift well on a tight chain? i wouldn't know tho, as a shimano fan boy.

XT/XTR 12 works pretty damn good just saying!

mtbr member
    Well, the guy who said he cracked it himself is far from a newb and anyway does it really matter what is said? Most frame up builds will choose a bike their back wheel will fit Over the other, no matter how many broken bikes were reported.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    just depends on how you ride etc. probably will be ok. if really concerned, go santa cruz for the beefier/heavier frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    just depends on how you ride etc. probably will be ok. if really concerned, go santa cruz for the beefier/heavier frame.
    I was 235# when I first got my Ripley ls v3. The v4 is supposed to be stiffer. No issues in a year of slamming rocks, roots and multiple crashes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    200-210 and ride the piss out of my Ripley V3...not a problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    230 lbs and almost 10k on my V3 , only a few rides on my 4. Honestly though Iím not a jumper. No notable flex with either bike on long steep climbs.

mtbr member
    Any shorter riders of ~5'5" (165cm) ht care to comment on fit? Wifey has a small HD3 which is too compact. So, I don't want her to run a too small size but figure with the steeper SA a med will feel smaller than it is when seated.

I was also thinking of running a 140mm fork which would slacken the HTA and STA slightly and also decrease the reach a bit. The reach on a med is a whopping 39mm (1.54") longer than what she is on now. Intuitively the small Ripley looks better on paper to me but the numbers are telling me that it would end up being even more compact than the HD3 she is on now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone got any suspension settings front and back for their v4

Runing pike ultimate 130 front
    Fox DPR performace rear

I weight 170lb kitted up

Cheers

Oli

mtbr member
    175lbs naked:

Pike Ultimate 130: 1 Token instead of 2, 100 PSI. Compression open.
    Fox DPS: 220 PSI, bigger spacer (orange)

mtbr member
    May 2019
    For those of you that have gone up to 140mm fork. Has anyone been able to notice the slight bb bracket raise/reach decrease/hta change? I'd love to overfork on my new build but dont want to ruin handling characteristics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cheers. What are your rebound and compression settings. Shock PSI sounds high ?

mtbr member
    Well, all depends a lot on riding style and terrain, and in general I tend to easier bottom out shocks than forks.

Compression, fork: open, as mentioned.
    Compression: shock: open DH, middle lever setting on the up as long as the terrain is smooth (otherwise open)

Rebound: haven't counted it, dependent on personal preference. Opened it a little bit now with the lower autumn temperatures.

For those of you that have gone up to 140mm fork. Has anyone been able to notice the slight bb bracket raise/reach decrease/hta change? I'd love to overfork on my new build but dont want to ruin handling characteristics.
    Go for it! Your not going to ruin anything. Yes is will handle slightly different, but you will adapt to it in a ride or two and it will feel natural. It is well within the performance envelope of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Bought my V4 with a 140 pike so my only comparison is with test rides. I think the bike rides great...I did remove a headset spacer to get a bit more weight on the front. Not a big deal to swap a 130mm air spring back in if you don't like it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    So the Pike Ultimate comes stock with 2 tokens? When I got my bike there were 2 tokens in a bag...are these just extra or did the shop remove them? Any idea?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
    So the Pike Ultimate comes stock with 2 tokens? When I got my bike there were 2 tokens in a bag...are these just extra or did the shop remove them? Any idea?
    Mine did.

Just release air and unscrew top cap to check.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Bought my V4 with a 140 pike so my only comparison is with test rides. I think the bike rides great...I did remove a headset spacer to get a bit more weight on the front. Not a big deal to swap a 130mm air spring back in if you don't like it.
    Yeah... I assume most that have 140 bought it like that. That's a good idea on the headset spacer.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    I rode the stock 130 for about 250mi before going to a 140 fork. I dropped the stem 10mm (2 spacers) to compensate. Handling was slightly worse on perhaps the steepest of sections but nothing that couldnít be overcome with a slight positional adjustment on the saddle. I was thankful for the increased bb clearance on some technical descents today actually.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    I rode the stock 130 for about 250mi before going to a 140 fork. I dropped the stem 10mm (2 spacers) to compensate. Handling was slightly worse on perhaps the steepest of sections but nothing that couldnít be overcome with a slight positional adjustment on the saddle. I was thankful for the increased bb clearance on some technical descents today actually.

awesome thanks. Did the downhill or trail handling feel noticeably worse?

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    awesome thanks. Did the downhill or trail handling feel noticeably worse?
    Not that I noticed. Getting the new fork dialed in was a much bigger factor than any slight geometry changes. I was worried about it as well going into the fork change but it turned out to be trivial. Iím not shralping turns and railing berms like the dudes on the gram though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FloImSchnee View Post
    Mine did.

Just release air and unscrew top cap to check.
    I need the tool. My cassette ring removal tool has a centering rod on it that won't fit on the Pike...

mtbr member
    Ah right, I had to cut the rod off, only then it worked on the fork.
    Annoying anyway, that one needs a special tool for that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have had almost zero pedal strikes with the Pike at 140mm which is a vastly different situation with my Ripley LS that I continuously had pedal strikes even with 170mm cranks.

mtbr member
    Is everyone's downtube / bottom bracket protector holding up? It looks like an afterthought by Ibis. Is it removable and is there a better alternative out there?

mtbr member
    You should have seen two screws holding it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    Is everyone's downtube / bottom bracket protector holding up? It looks like an afterthought by Ibis. Is it removable and is there a better alternative out there?
    Mine seems fine, but the seatstay chain protector started peeling off and flopping around after a few weeks. I glued it back on and it has been fine. A bit disappointed in Ibis for this but otherwise the bike has been fantastic!

mtbr member
    Mine seems fine, but the seatstay chain protector started peeling off and flopping around after a few weeks. I glued it back on and it has been fine. A bit disappointed in Ibis for this but otherwise the bike has been fantastic!
    That's a little disappointing. I mean these aren't $500 frames. At $2800 is they're breaking it off in your a$$. Maybe give 3M a call.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I was going to buy a Ripley, but thought I'd try an SB130 first. So I just did 2 days of back to back riding with both a Ripley and the Yeti SB130. I rode with friends and we switched every loop or trail segment.

Both bikes climbed great. The SB130 was more efficient when out of the saddle and the suspension felt amazing when really hammering, but the Ripley was a bit faster during seated climbs.

The Ripley felt so light and nimble. It was really fun at slow speeds and when speeding up it felt like it would spring and pick up speed off every undulation in the trail.

**BUT, when the going got rough, the rear end was nowhere near as composed as the SB130. The Yeti felt glued to the ground in the back, whereas the Ripley would skip along with less traction. (Same width tyres on the rear with a bit less pressure in the Ripley)

QUESTION: I really wanted the Ripley, but can I make it feel similar to the SB130 or is it really the switch infinity that's giving me the better control?

I could also write for ages about the differences so if anyone has any questions while it's still fresh in my mind: Ask away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j0dan View Post
    I was going to buy a Ripley, but thought I'd try an SB130 first. So I just did 2 days of back to back riding with both a Ripley and the Yeti SB130. I rode with friends and we switched every loop or trail segment.

Both bikes climbed great. The SB130 was more efficient when out of the saddle and the suspension felt amazing when really hammering, but the Ripley was a bit faster during seated climbs.

The Ripley felt so light and nimble. It was really fun at slow speeds and when speeding up it felt like it would spring and pick up speed off every undulation in the trail.

**BUT, when the going got rough, the rear end was nowhere near as composed as the SB130. The Yeti felt glued to the ground in the back, whereas the Ripley would skip along with less traction. (Same width tyres on the rear with a bit less pressure in the Ripley)

QUESTION: I really wanted the Ripley, but can I make it feel similar to the SB130 or is it really the switch infinity that's giving me the better control?

I could also write for ages about the differences so if anyone has any questions while it's still fresh in my mind: Ask away.
    did you play with shock settings? hard to say without knowing how and what kind of trail you ride. first thing i would do is less rebound (faster). i run my rebound almost fully open on my mcleod.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2019 Ibis Ripley V4

The Ripley is a fast bike . I wanted it to feel more glued so I ultimately swapped out the DPS shock.

I have a CC DBAir IL and a Pike 140 on my Ripley and love it. The IL dramatically changed the feel of the rear end to be both plusher with more mid valve and more glued to the trail, so Iíd say you can get there. I also tried an Avy tuned DPS which also felt really good. Talking with both Avy and Vorsprung the consensus was it is very lightly tuned and either Craig or Steve felt they could get me where I wanted to with the DPS and some work, so also a cheaper option.

I wanted a 2 bike quiver for NorCal so the Ripley and a new Enduro combo worked well for me. I really liked the SB130 when I demoed it though and could of went that way for a 1 bike option. The yeti CS worried me a bit though as I love Ibis but my LBS has a good relationship with Yeti and was happy with their interactions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

i second the "fast rebound" recommendation. i am on mcleod as well, but even with stock performance dps i was quite fine. most of the time it feels like you want to slow the rebound down to get more traction, when in fact, speeding it up does the trick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    did you play with shock settings? hard to say without knowing how and what kind of trail you ride. first thing i would do is less rebound (faster). i run my rebound almost fully open on my mcleod.
    I sadly didn't. We tuned the front end of both bikes to be nearly the same, but didn't have time to do the back.

i second the "fast rebound" recommendation. i am on mcleod as well, but even with stock performance dps i was quite fine. most of the time it feels like you want to slow the rebound down to get more traction, when in fact, speeding it up does the trick.
    Wouldn't fast rebound get a bit pogo-stickie?

Also the weight of the McLeod looks interesting. And quite inexpensive.

Has anyone been able to order the frame with no shock?

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane_CA View Post
    I have a CC DBAir IL and a Pike 140 on my Ripley and love it. The IL dramatically changed the feel of the rear end to be both plusher with more mid valve and more glued to the trail, so Iíd say you can get there. I also tried an Avy tuned DPS which also felt really good. Talking with both Avy and Vorsprung the consensus was it is very lightly tuned and either Craig or Steve felt they could get me where I wanted to with the DPS and some work, so also a cheaper option.
    That's really interesting. The DBAir looks to be on sale for 50% off at Jenson right now. Does that make it the cheaper of the options? With that can I switch between jumpy and glued easily? The amount of options is incredible!

I was planning on doing the Pike Ultimate 140 too.

The yeti CS worried me a bit though as I love Ibis but my LBS has a good relationship with Yeti and was happy with their interactions.
    Funny how one of my LBS had a few bad runs with Ibis and now only stock Yeti. Both seem like top notch companies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did you need to get a specific tune on the CC DBAir IL?

Also what size do you need?

Did using this shock loose any of the efficiency of the Ripley which makes it such a rocket?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by olibluegoat View Post

Did using this shock loose any of the efficiency of the Ripley which makes it such a rocket?
    Itís the BAD2065 - 190/45. Itís the standard factory tune, 25x8mm and 14.9x8mm mounting hardware

No I donít find it loses anything in the efficiency at all. Itís still a rocket. PM me if you have any other specific ride or shock questions

- Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Awesime. Cheers. Will do. Just got mine now all built up. Will ride the fox and see how I get on but nice to have options

Quote Originally Posted by olibluegoat View Post

Cane creeks inline shocks don't have a base tune. You can set them up exactly the way you want. This includes matching the stock poppy style, but with better damping. You can also move a little closer to a balanced tune and loose very little pop while gaining a ton of feel on the DH.

I have a used a CC inline vs fox on a Tallboy 3 and have ridden the fox on a ripley vs X2 on a Ripmo. A dialed tune on a customizable shock can be better everywhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I sadly didn't. We tuned the front end of both bikes to be nearly the same, but didn't have time to do the back.

Wouldn't fast rebound get a bit pogo-stickie?

Also the weight of the McLeod looks interesting. And quite inexpensive.

Has anyone been able to order the frame with no shock?
    rebound is quite personal, for most riders it feels better on faster side, especially on chunky trails. go as fast as you can without it feeling like a pogo stick. but remember to match it with your fork rebound setting.

as far as mcleod, it is noticeably better than fox dps overall, especially as far as damping goes. fast rough descents are where i notice it the most. big plus is that it is easily tuneable without expensive tools and fully rebuildable without expensive tools. and i am not talking about air can seals but damper as well. not as easy with fox or other shocks. fox charges over $100 for rebuild that is fairly simple 20min job. once you have it open you can play with shim stack as well to fine tune it.

dont think you can get frame without shock. i felt like fox dps perf. that came on my frame is still pretty decent and i am keeping it as a backup, just in case.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A long time Ibis fan here and finally got my Ripley 4 XL frame.

Just got the bike built with components from my previous Yeti SB 4.5C and although the Yeti was a great bike which served me good for the last 3.5 years, Ripley 4 is even better!

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_20191202_142049__01.jpg

Some specs:
    Fork: 2016 Pike 140mm (51mm offset) with Luftkappe
    Wheels: Roval Traverse SL Fatties with I9 Torch- hubs and Sapim CX-ray spokes
    Cockpit: Race Face SiX 780mm + 50mm stem.
    Brakes: Shimano XTR
    Cranks: SRAM X01 + AbsoluteBlack 28t oval
    Cassette: Garbaruk 10-46
    Seatpost: Reverb 175mm
    Tyres: 29x2.6 Spesh Butcher for the winter & snow trails but will change to something lighter before the summer.

mtbr member
    May 2019

Please do write for ages about the difference between these two bikes! These are #1 #1a on our bike shopping list for this spring lol.

I do know there are a lot of differences between these bikes as they aren't really in the same category... Can't decide if wife and I will be overbiked with the 130 though, and if we would just have more fun on the ripley. + I think for a few hundred extra I can get Carbon wheels + onyx vesper hubs for what I can get a SB130 T1.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Please do write for ages about the difference between these two bikes! These are #1 #1a on our bike shopping list for this spring lol.

I do know there are a lot of differences between these bikes as they aren't really in the same category... Can't decide if wife and I will be overbiked with the 130 though, and if we would just have more fun on the ripley. + I think for a few hundred extra I can get Carbon wheels + onyx vesper hubs for what I can get a SB130 T1.

I too will encourage the ďwrite for agesĒ between the two.

@michaelandk2 that Ripley build you are thinking about with the carbon wheels and onyx vesper hubs etc seems amazing. I would be interested in knowing more about that entire build especially the wheel and hub build combo.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post

@michaelandk2 that Ripley build you are thinking about with the carbon wheels and onyx vesper hubs etc seems amazing. I would be interested in knowing more about that entire build especially the wheel and hub build combo.
    Yeah for sure .

I've had this build quoted for around 7000, here are the highlights. Might get a bit of a discount of we buy 2 obviously (wife and mine). There are few undecided's still but the rough outline is this.

7k~
    Blue Steel Ripley
    Fox Factory 34/36 140mm (also considering a pike)
    GX Drive Train (may upgrade to XT for 3-400 extra)
    Onyx Vesper hubs (was going i9 hydra, but after research, silent/no drag/instant engagement/nearly maintenance free is to good to pass, the only cost is a tiny bit of weight) - oh... candy blue color ;D.

Undecided on tires.
    Ibis s35 rims (I could go we are one union/agent, for a bit cheaper + lifetime warranty)
    Bike Yoke
    Carbon Bars (deity speedway perhaps, 35 riser)

Heres a 6-6.5k build I got also
    Fox Factory 34/36 140mm (also considering a pike)
    GX Drive Train
    i9 101 hubs
    Undecided on tires.
    We are one Rims (agent/union)
    Bike Yoke
    Carbon Bars (deity speedway perhaps 35 riser)

I'm pretty set on the hubs being vesper though personally.. cant deal with i9 noise, let alone torch/101 noise.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Also if you all are interested here is Ripley with my best guess on140mm fork geo compared to some others.

https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=i....LG|w.29|bb.38

You can see all these bikes are quite similar.

BB bracket up 3mm
    HT minus .4 degrees
    Wheelbase +6mm
    STA Minus .4 degree
    Reach minus 5mm.
    BB drop - I just arbitrarily put in 38 for all of them but the tallboy as none of the other people list it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Also if you all are interested here is Ripley with my best guess on140mm fork geo compared to some others.

https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=i....LG|w.29|bb.38

You can see all these bikes are quite similar.

BB bracket up 3mm
    HT minus .4 degrees
    Wheelbase +6mm
    STA Minus 1 degree
    BB drop - I just arbitrarily put in 38 for all of them but the tallboy as none of the other people list it.
    STA will change the same amount as the HTA, about half a degree.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    STA will change the same amount as the HTA, about half a degree.
    Was going off of geo changes from when I change fork spec on the offering. Thought it was weird they had it so high, guess what you said makes sense though.

Updated link: https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=i....LG|w.29|bb.38

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post

I do know there are a lot of differences between these bikes as they aren't really in the same category... Can't decide if wife and I will be overbiked with the 130 though, and if we would just have more fun on the ripley.
    Alright then.

So I've only been riding MTB for 1.5 years but I go about 3 times a week on average. 5+ if the weather is good. I'm in the PNW where even the "easy" trails can get pretty gnarly and I mostly ride unofficial trails. I prefer more XC riding, but because of what's near me I do a lot more downhill. I compete on Strava on the way up only. I'm 35 and don't want to get hurt at this stage in my life so I'm quite cautious when descending and am usually dead last when riding with anyone. Thankfully last on the downhill is usually only 20-30 seconds difference.

Most of my bike experience is on various XC style bikes in terms of travel and geo. These are the first long rides I've done on this category of "down-country" bikes. I'm currently on a Scott Spark with 100mm front and rear with 26" wheels and have definitely out-grown its capabilities.

I'm also not taking into account price when comparing these.

There are far more similarities than differences on these bikes and that's what makes it difficult to pick a winner. There were also no big downsides to either bike. Nothing to hate when comparing two of the best in a category.

Spec differences:
    Excluding groupsets, here were the key differences
    Our Yeti had the Fox Factory fork and the shock was the DPX2. The Ripley had the basic Fox Float Performance DPS.

Our Yeti had 2.5" Maxxis somethings on it (maybe the DHF?) and the Ripley had the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.6" up front and some 2.5" in the back.

I was also amazed at how much of a difference tuning the suspension made. The initial recommended settings just didn't work for me on the Yeti. I had time to play with the forks to get them dialed enough for comparison, but could have spent another 2 days just tuning the rear suspension for exactly the kind of riding I do. So my biggest challenge was I couldn't tell the difference between #1 the Switch Infinity vs. DW-Link #2 The different shocks, and #3 the tune.

Climbing:
    They both climb amazingly well. We never used lockout once during the two days we had the bikes. The SB130 is certainly more plush on the climb, but not really in a way that slowed you down. It somehow knew when to firm up and when to sink into the travel slightly. We couldn't tell if it was a function of the much nicer shock or the switch infinity system. There was a couple occasions where I *thought* I was on the Ripley, but looked down and it was the Yeti. It had multiple personalities where it seemed to know exactly how to act in a situation. Also, when sprinting out of the saddle, the Yeti didn't bounce around as much. It seemed to firm up instantly when you put down a ton of power--almost like invisible stairs were coming up to meet your feet. The Ripley with our setup had a bit of bob when sprinting so I would be tempted to use climb mode sometimes if this was my bike.

The Yeti was slightly longer and a hint slacker, but the extra length didn't cause any problems on technical climbs. The steering also felt slightly more responsive than the Ripley but I am attributing that to it having skinnier tyres as on paper it should have been the opposite. Just another example of how when everything is close, small changes can change how it feels.

Descending:
    At slow speeds, the Ripley was great. Our trails have lots of character here with little things to jump off and the Ripley was fun to manipulate. Even though with the build levels we had it was about the same weight as the Yeti, it felt like a feather when in the air. It would jump up in the air and then land with a nice firm cushion feel. The DW Link seemed to have a constant spring on the downhill and really small pumps would rocket the bike ahead. The Yeti had pop too, but it was more muted with the plusher suspension. The Yeti in these scenarios just felt more luxurious. Like comparing a Miata (Ripley) vs a BMW Z4.

As you sped up, the differences between the bikes grew. The Yeti was far more composed on the down with extra slackness being a benefit. On paper it's not much longer either, but it certainly felt that way. It gave a massive boost in confidence and felt safe far above my usual riding speed. The faster and more aggressive you went, the better the Yeti felt. I hit my limit much sooner on the Ripley and the Yeti could easily get up to speeds that I personally would consider dangerous.

On high speed descents with chunky rocks or roots the Ripley would start to lose rear traction and skip, whereas the Yeti would stay glued to the ground with absolutely no drama. Root hits were hardly even felt in the pedals which was amazing.

I'm not one for big hits with my skill/risk level, but a friend did a few large drops on the bikes and the Ripley's back end was quickly overwhelmed and had a couple rough bottom-outs out whereas the Yeti had room to keep going.

Conclusion: I'm not sure I would say the SB130 would be too much bike for anyone comparing these two. You should see the extra capabilities as an insurance policy in-case you make a mistake. The Ripley is playful, but comes at the cost of high speed stability.

I was about to start buying parts for a Ripley just now with Black Friday sales, but now I'm not sure anymore! Ugh..

Let me know if this helped or if you disagree with anything.

NedwannaB
    Alright then.

So I've only been riding MTB for 1.5 years but I go about 3 times a week on average. 5+ if the weather is good. I'm in the PNW where even the "easy" trails can get pretty gnarly and I mostly ride unofficial trails. I prefer more XC riding, but because of what's near me I do a lot more downhill. I compete on Strava on the way up only. I'm 35 and don't want to get hurt at this stage in my life so I'm quite cautious when descending and am usually dead last when riding with anyone. Thankfully last on the downhill is usually only 20-30 seconds difference.

Most of my bike experience is on various XC style bikes in terms of travel and geo. These are the first long rides I've done on this category of "down-country" bikes. I'm currently on a Scott Spark with 100mm front and rear with 26" wheels and have definitely out-grown its capabilities.

I'm also not taking into account price when comparing these.

There are far more similarities than differences on these bikes and that's what makes it difficult to pick a winner. There were also no big downsides to either bike. Nothing to hate when comparing two of the best in a category.

Spec differences:
    Excluding groupsets, here were the key differences
    Our Yeti had the Fox Factory fork and the shock was the DPX2. The Ripley had the basic Fox Float Performance DPS.

Our Yeti had 2.5" Maxxis somethings on it (maybe the DHF?) and the Ripley had the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.6" up front and some 2.5" in the back.

I was also amazed at how much of a difference tuning the suspension made. The initial recommended settings just didn't work for me on the Yeti. I had time to play with the forks to get them dialed enough for comparison, but could have spent another 2 days just tuning the rear suspension for exactly the kind of riding I do. So my biggest challenge was I couldn't tell the difference between #1 the Switch Infinity vs. DW-Link #2 The different shocks, and #3 the tune.

Climbing:
    They both climb amazingly well. We never used lockout once during the two days we had the bikes. The SB130 is certainly more plush on the climb, but not really in a way that slowed you down. It somehow knew when to firm up and when to sink into the travel slightly. We couldn't tell if it was a function of the much nicer shock or the switch infinity system. There was a couple occasions where I *thought* I was on the Ripley, but looked down and it was the Yeti. It had multiple personalities where it seemed to know exactly how to act in a situation. Also, when sprinting out of the saddle, the Yeti didn't bounce around as much. It seemed to firm up instantly when you put down a ton of power--almost like invisible stairs were coming up to meet your feet. The Ripley with our setup had a bit of bob when sprinting so I would be tempted to use climb mode sometimes if this was my bike.

The Yeti was slightly longer and a hint slacker, but the extra length didn't cause any problems on technical climbs. The steering also felt slightly more responsive than the Ripley but I am attributing that to it having skinnier tyres as on paper it should have been the opposite. Just another example of how when everything is close, small changes can change how it feels.

Descending:
    At slow speeds, the Ripley was great. Our trails have lots of character here with little things to jump off and the Ripley was fun to manipulate. Even though with the build levels we had it was about the same weight as the Yeti, it felt like a feather when in the air. It would jump up in the air and then land with a nice firm cushion feel. The DW Link seemed to have a constant spring on the downhill and really small pumps would rocket the bike ahead. The Yeti had pop too, but it was more muted with the plusher suspension. The Yeti in these scenarios just felt more luxurious. Like comparing a Miata (Ripley) vs a BMW Z4.

As you sped up, the differences between the bikes grew. The Yeti was far more composed on the down with extra slackness being a benefit. On paper it's not much longer either, but it certainly felt that way. It gave a massive boost in confidence and felt safe far above my usual riding speed. The faster and more aggressive you went, the better the Yeti felt. I hit my limit much sooner on the Ripley and the Yeti could easily get up to speeds that I personally would consider dangerous.

On high speed descents with chunky rocks or roots the Ripley would start to lose rear traction and skip, whereas the Yeti would stay glued to the ground with absolutely no drama. Root hits were hardly even felt in the pedals which was amazing.

I'm not one for big hits with my skill/risk level, but a friend did a few large drops on the bikes and the Ripley's back end was quickly overwhelmed and had a couple rough bottom-outs out whereas the Yeti had room to keep going.

Conclusion: I'm not sure I would say the SB130 would be too much bike for anyone comparing these two. You should see the extra capabilities as an insurance policy in-case you make a mistake. The Ripley is playful, but comes at the cost of high speed stability.

I was about to start buying parts for a Ripley just now with Black Friday sales, but now I'm not sure anymore! Ugh..

Let me know if this helped or if you disagree with anything.
    I would think the SB100 with 120 fork would be more comparable to the Ripley than the SB130. Just my $0.02 having ridden them including the Ripmo.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Isnt sb100 another solid step towards xc kinda like sb130 is a step towards enduro/dh? 100/120 travel vs 120/130(or140).

NedwannaB
    Isnt sb100 another solid step towards xc kinda like sb130 is a step towards enduro/dh? 100/120 travel vs 120/130(or140).
    I'd say SB100 is a solid step towards Agressive XC/Trail. If worried about "over biked" with an sb130, one could easily ride the same terrain on a 100 as the Ripley. I have one friend has a 130 fork on his SB100. XL frame so the 10mm increase doesnt affect it much. He rips on it.

mtbr member
    Correct. The Ripley is closer to the XC side and can be built that way, where as the SB130 is more comparable to the Ripmo. A lot of riders run 130 fork on the SB100 which makes it more comparable with the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    Correct. The Ripley is closer to the XC side and can be built that way, where as the SB130 is more comparable to the Ripmo. A lot of riders run 130 fork on the SB100 which makes it more comparable with the Ripley.
    So what if I see myself as an XC kinda guy, but want to down-country with my friends? Answer: You get a Ripley and build it like a Ripmo while wishing it was an SB130.

I just placed an order for some Ripley parts, but at the end of the day I will have spent as much as a fully loaded SB130.

Here's the build:
    Fork: Pike Ultimate 140mm
    Shock: Factory DPS
    Brakes: SRAM G2 RSC 180mm front & back centerline-X (was going to go Magura MT Trail SL but the bleed process didn't look that great and 15% off SRAM today)
    Drivetrain: AXS Eagle X01 derailleur and XX1 rainbow cassette. Quarq Zero Dub power meter & cranks
    Seatpost: AXS Reverb (stupid expensive, but oh so smooth)

Still deciding on:
    Bars: Either Ibis Hi-Fi or OneUp's Bar
    Seat: Specialized Power Pro Elaston or WTB Volt
    Tires: No idea right now
    Wheels: I want Onyx Vesper hubs, but the i9 Hydra Ibis are another option. DT Swiss XMC 1200 also look good but not my favorite hub for the money.

The wheel thing is really hard to decide on. How does one decide what width to use? I'll likely be running 2.4-2.5 in the rear, and 2.5-2.6 in the front depending on the season.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    deleted

Phil
    Jul 2010
    I have a new Cane Creek DB Air IL 190x45 shock and a Medium Matte Invisiframe kit for sale. Bought these for a Ripley build, but going in a different direction. Make me an offer if youíre interested. Both new and unused.

mtbr member
    PM sent asuprice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi folks. Any recommendations for a light weight bash guard and chain retention for the Ripley?

mtbr member
    Their stuff is lightweight and well made:
    https://77designz.com/en/13-crash-plates
    https://77designz.com/en/12-chain-guides

(I don't use it on the Ripley though, only on the enduro)

mtbr member
    May 2019
    So what if I see myself as an XC kinda guy, but want to down-country with my friends? Answer: You get a Ripley and build it like a Ripmo while wishing it was an SB130.

I just placed an order for some Ripley parts, but at the end of the day I will have spent as much as a fully loaded SB130.

Here's the build:
    Brakes: SRAM G2 RSC 180mm front & back centerline-X (was going to go Magura MT Trail SL but the bleed process didn't look that great and 15% off SRAM today)
    Drivetrain: AXS Eagle X01 derailleur and XX1 rainbow cassette. Quarq Zero Dub power meter & cranks

Still deciding on:
    Wheels: I want Onyx Vesper hubs, but the i9 Hydra Ibis are another option. DT Swiss XMC 1200 also look good but not my favorite hub for the money.

The wheel thing is really hard to decide on. How does one decide what width to use? I'll likely be running 2.4-2.5 in the rear, and 2.5-2.6 in the front depending on the season.
    Seems pretty close to what I want . I dont need AXS but other than that pretty close. I saw JCTrails video the other day and the silver pike on that looked pretty sick imo.

I just love the ripley frame, wish ibis had a true mid travel bike rather than a short travel and a long travel bike. I guess thats basically what your trying to do when you add a 140 pike up front. Maybe if Ripmo updates colors this spring I'll consider that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Seems pretty close to what I want . I dont need AXS but other than that pretty close. I saw JCTrails video the other day and the silver pike on that looked pretty sick imo.
    Yeah that blue silver combo was nice. I have black and black on order but itís tempting to change. I like being able to sharpie my bikes to fix the paint. Would be easier if I could see the silver in person.

I also noticed he swapped out the rear shock. That was my biggest complaint with the Ripley but since you canít but without a shock it seems silly to replace it right away.

mtbr member

Here's the build:

Still deciding on:

I was pleasantly surprised by the hydras. Much less drag than the DT's.

Money no option, I'd build vespers to S35 rims. The hydra/s35 combo is great and gets my nod next. I know the weight of the XMC 1200's peaked my interest, but they'd fall in last if I was listing them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I just ordered some We Are One Agents (30mm internal) with Hydras, I feel like the S35s belong on the Ripmo (I have 942s with i9s on my Ripmo), and I only run 2.5f/2.4r on my Ripmo on the 942s. I am going to run 2.35 Schwalbes on my Agents. I am definitely eliminating any crossover between my Ripley and Ripmo. My Ripley will be a XC/Trail orientated. I would have ordered my Ripley with S28s over the S35s if I went that route at the time i ordered.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I would think the SB100 with 120 fork would be more comparable to the Ripley than the SB130. Just my $0.02 having ridden them including the Ripmo.
    I'd say SB100 is a solid step towards Agressive XC/Trail. If worried about "over biked" with an sb130, one could easily ride the same terrain on a 100 as the Ripley. I have one friend has a 130 fork on his SB100. XL frame so the 10mm increase doesnt affect it much. He rips on it.
    I don't really agree with much of the above. SB100 already comes with a 120 fork in the factory configs and it feels light and racey and short compared to the Ripley. Capable for sure but definitely more XC than the Ripley. In the right hands, you could ride some savage trails to be sure. Geoff Kabush uses it in Tahoe but he's a freak. The Ripley sites squarely between the SB100 and the SB130 imo.

I've got the i9's on my Ripley and the regular Onyx on my hardtail. They are both awesome and I really like the instant engagement on both of them. There is something magical about the Onyx at the end of the day though - even spinning the cranks backward standing next to the bike and not hearing pawls clicking makes me giggle, and it just seems to spin and spin. That being said, no regrets with the i9's as they really seem to suit the character of the bike.

Regarding width, a lot of tires seem to be designed around ~i29 rims except for Maxxis whose WT tires are supposedly optimized for i30-35. Ibis recommends their i28 rim for tires in the 2.0-2.6 range and i35 for 2.35-2.8. I went for the i35 since I wanted more margin running 2.6s and figured that the trend in the sport has been increasingly wider tires over time.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I don't really agree with much of the above. SB100 already comes with a 120 fork in the factory configs and it feels light and racey and short compared to the Ripley. Capable for sure but definitely more XC than the Ripley. In the right hands, you could ride some savage trails to be sure. Geoff Kabush uses it in Tahoe but he's a freak. The Ripley sites squarely between the SB100 and the SB130 imo.

I've got the i9's on my Ripley and the regular Onyx on my hardtail. They are both awesome and I really like the instant engagement on both of them. There is something magical about the Onyx at the end of the day though - even spinning the cranks backward standing next to the bike and not hearing pawls clicking makes me giggle, and it just seems to spin and spin. That being said, no regrets with the i9's as they really seem to suit the character of the bike.

Regarding width, a lot of tires seem to be designed around ~i29 rims except for Maxxis whose WT tires are supposedly optimized for i30-35. Ibis recommends their i28 rim for tires in the 2.0-2.6 range and i35 for 2.35-2.8. I went for the i35 since I wanted more margin running 2.6s and figured that the trend in the sport has been increasingly wider tires over time.

Cool . All these people basically calling it a XC with a little bit of extra is my main concern. I really want just a pure trail bike that is best on flowy downhill stuff with the occasional small drops/jumps and moderate amounts of rock/chunk (Bentonville is our go to riding location ^^).

mtbr member
    Cool . All these people basically calling it a XC with a little bit of extra is my main concern. I really want just a pure trail bike that is best on flowy downhill stuff with the occasional small drops/jumps and moderate amounts of rock/chunk (Bentonville is our go to riding location ^^).
    You will be fine with what you describe. I look at it as a trail bike that can sway towards the XC side to do the ability to build it up light. Other trail bikes like the new Tallboy, Revel Rascal I see swaying more towards trail/All mountain side due to the burlier builds, weights,etc. None of these bikes will pedal/climb as well as the Ripley or can be built light enough for a XC type race like the Ripley can.

mtbr member
    The only thing in Bentonville on my V2 Ripley that I didn't like was Drop the Hammer at Coler. Otherwise, it was the tool for the job. I can only imagine the the V4 is that much better.

mtbr member
    I agree and thatís right where the bike sits. Adding a 130 fork to the SB100 will bring it closer to the Ripley, but it wonít be as forgiving when the trails get rough. Iím currently on the SB100, but wanting a little more without giving up much in the pedal ability, so The Ripley is my next best option. Just need to get along with the steep ST angle.

NedwannaB
    I agree and thatís right where the bike sits. Adding a 130 fork to the SB100 will bring it closer to the Ripley, but it wonít be as forgiving when the trails get rough. Iím currently on the SB100, but wanting a little more without giving up much in the pedal ability, so The Ripley is my next best option. Just need to get along with the steep ST angle.
    Ftr, I'm in process of building a v4 Ripley to comfortably span the gap and up my riding prowess from my OG v1.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Thanks for the opinion.

I'd definitely go Ibis S35 for the front, but if I'm never going above 2.5 in the rear, is there any benefit to the S35 in the rear?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I need the tool. My cassette ring removal tool has a centering rod on it that won't fit on the Pike...
    I put mine in a vice with the centering rod down and drilled out the rod, stopping every 10-15 seconds to dump out the metal shavings. It finally broke off - quick hit with a punch and it was out. Worked like a champ!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronner View Post
    I put mine in a vice with the centering rod down and drilled out the rod, stopping every 10-15 seconds to dump out the metal shavings. It finally broke off - quick hit with a punch and it was out. Worked like a champ!
    Clever, I just bought the Park tool on Amazon that doesn't have the centering rod...was like $8. Turns out my Pike Ultimate had just one token in it.

NedwannaB

Chainring clearance

Have similar post over in drivetrain, thought I'd cut to frame specifics here. Building up new frame with m8000 nonboost crankset and a little concerned. Wolftooth 30t oval ring. Anyone running non boost crankset with minimal clearance? Decided to switch to boost specific model? Pix taken low/high positions of ring.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis Ripley V4-20191204_101540.jpg  

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-20191204_101810.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I just placed my order for a Ripley! Size large, blue frame, factory upgrades on the fork and shock, and the 12 spd XT build kit. My last nice mountain bike was a 2003 Santa Cruz Blur. I sold that back around 2011 and since then Iíve just been riding a 26Ē hardtail that I built up as a commuter bike for school. Itís amazing how much bikes have evolved in the last 10 years. Iíve gotten back into riding lately and Iím super excited to get back on a nice bike again.

Have similar post over in drivetrain, thought I'd cut to frame specifics here. Building up new frame with m8000 nonboost crankset and a little concerned. Wolftooth 30t oval ring. Anyone running non boost crankset with minimal clearance? Decided to switch to boost specific model? Pix taken low/high positions of ring.

Thanks in advance.
    Way too close. Cranks are fine but you need a new boost ring

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Way too close. Cranks are fine but you need a new boost ring
    I'll disagree and say based on my experience you'll be fine. My Boost OG Ripley has been run with a non boost crank for years and the ring is closer- never had an issue.
    The chain ring on my Ripley LS is about the same and no problems.
    The crank/ring combo that's on my LS is the same I ran on the V4 and it was about the same as yours- ran it for a few months- never had an issue.

I'll post some pics for you tomorrow so you can see.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Thanks in advance.
    That's plenty of room. The 34t boost ring on my Ripmo is significantly closer and I've yet to have an issue.

mtbr member
    Anyone running non boost crankset with minimal clearance? Decided to switch to boost specific model? Pix taken low/high positions of ring.
    The chainring will flex, I wouldnít trust that clearance at all (top photo).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlong724 View Post
    I just placed my order for a Ripley! Size large, blue frame, factory upgrades on the fork and shock, and the 12 spd XT build kit. My last nice mountain bike was a 2003 Santa Cruz Blur. I sold that back around 2011 and since then Iíve just been riding a 26Ē hardtail that I built up as a commuter bike for school. Itís amazing how much bikes have evolved in the last 10 years. Iíve gotten back into riding lately and Iím super excited to get back on a nice bike again.
    Congrats...it will be quite a change from your 26" hardtail. How long is the wait?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    The chainring will flex, I wouldnít trust that clearance at all (top photo).
    I weight around 210-215 before any gear, I have yet to flex a chain ring and hit the stays. Have to ask what kind of rings are you buying?
    Ripley LS v3

NedwannaB
    I'll disagree and say based on my experience you'll be fine. My Boost OG Ripley has been run with a non boost crank for years and the ring is closer- never had an issue.
    The chain ring on my Ripley LS is about the same and no problems.
    The crank/ring combo that's on my LS is the same I ran on the V4 and it was about the same as yours- ran it for a few months- never had an issue.

I'll post some pics for you tomorrow so you can see.
    Thanks TT.

mtbr member
    I weight around 210-215 before any gear, I have yet to flex a chain ring and hit the stays. Have to ask what kind of rings are you buying?
    Absolute Black oval 30T on a XX1 Eagle GXP crankset. I just noticed a couple of weeks ago that paint chipped off from the frame where the teeth are closest. This is on my steel single speed so there may be more torque being applied but the same time the chainline should be close to perfect. So how did it come into contact without flex? Now it may not be the chainring itself that flexes, it could be also be the frame or crankarms. But flex can occur and I wonít run a chainring that close to the frame again. Why risk it on a beautiful new Ripley?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Congrats...it will be quite a change from your 26" hardtail. How long is the wait?
    I heard itíd be a couple weeks, likely before the holidays. But the shop already had the frame/shock I wanted on order, so they were able to just add the build kit to the existing order. Iím not sure how much time it would add if they had to place the order for the frame at this point. The weather has been no good here in Michigan, so Iím not in any rush.

While chainrings can flex it's usually the the frame that flexes and kits the chainrings.
    The ripley has a very rigid rear end and linkage design so it's not as bad as older bikes or other rear suspension designs.

That would be be to little clearance for me to feel comfortable with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Didnt bother with the LS since it has more clearance.

Here's my OG Ripley.

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-20191205_183240.jpg
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Has anyone here demoed the Rebel Rascal alongside the Ripley?

NedwannaB
    Looks pretty spacious

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looks pretty spacious
    assuming sarcasm?
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Has anyone here demoed the Rebel Rascal alongside the Ripley?

I did at Outerbike this year. I definitely preferred the Ripley. It felt more natural and lively. The Revel Rascal was fine but it felt heavy and not lively. I like what they are doing and could probably get along fine with the bike, but it didn't excite me. To be fair, I didn't take it on a very extended ride and nothing high speed or overly technical. Maybe it would shine more on harder terrain.

The Transition Smuggler is also in this category and it was a close second to the Ripley of the 29" bikes I rode. It was in its element going down and felt solid and glued turning and didn't give up too much going up. In the end, the Ripley was the best climber of the bunch and I liked the precise control it offered going down, the way it carved corners, and the way you could maneuver it through tech features.
    Last edited by bizango; 6 Days Ago at 07:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I had a chance to demo a Ripley a few weeks ago and coming off a carbon Smuggler as my primary MTB, it was interesting to compare the two. The Ripley was spec'ed similarly to the Smuggler with the notable differences being that my Smuggler has a 140 Lyric and the Ripley was set up with a 140 Fox 34, I've got a Topaz on the Smuggler while the Ripley just had the DPS, and the Ripley had some Rekons while my Smuggler has a DHF/Purgatory combo.

Even though both were almost identical geometry, they had very different ride characteristics. The Smuggler is definitely a lot more plush and as some reviews have noted, sits deeper in its travel while the Ripley tends to feel a lot more poppy and firm. The Ripley seemed to want to get up and go like a rocketship when getting on the pedals while the Smuggler definitely feels a bit more sluggish when trying to get up and hammer. The Ripley felt much more lively and poppy while the Smuggler tends to feel more planted to the trail in comparison.

Best way to sum it up was the new Ripley felt like 2 parts XC bike 1 part gravity bike while the Smuggler feels like 1 part XC bike 2 parts gravity bike. The Smuggler could probably eat up a bit more chunky/rowdy terrain than the Ripley but the Ripley is a beast when it comes to pedaling while still giving you the added confidence in the descents with its great geometry.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EastFallsShredSquad View Post
    I had a chance to demo a Ripley a few weeks ago and coming off a carbon Smuggler as my primary MTB, it was interesting to compare the two. The Ripley was spec'ed similarly to the Smuggler with the notable differences being that my Smuggler has a 140 Lyric and the Ripley was set up with a 140 Fox 34, I've got a Topaz on the Smuggler while the Ripley just had the DPS, and the Ripley had some Rekons while my Smuggler has a DHF/Purgatory combo.

Even though both were almost identical geometry, they had very different ride characteristics. The Smuggler is definitely a lot more plush and as some reviews have noted, sits deeper in its travel while the Ripley tends to feel a lot more poppy and firm. The Ripley seemed to want to get up and go like a rocketship when getting on the pedals while the Smuggler definitely feels a bit more sluggish when trying to get up and hammer. The Ripley felt much more lively and poppy while the Smuggler tends to feel more planted to the trail in comparison.

Best way to sum it up was the new Ripley felt like 2 parts XC bike 1 part gravity bike while the Smuggler feels like 1 part XC bike 2 parts gravity bike. The Smuggler could probably eat up a bit more chunky/rowdy terrain than the Ripley but the Ripley is a beast when it comes to pedaling while still giving you the added confidence in the descents with its great geometry.
    Good feedback but I really wonder how much of the perceived firmness is attributable to the "aggressive" Fox tuning recommendations and too much assembly grease gumming up the fork. Do you have any recent experience with Fox suspension otherwise?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Good feedback but I really wonder how much of the perceived firmness is attributable to the "aggressive" Fox tuning recommendations and too much assembly grease gumming up the fork. Do you have any recent experience with Fox suspension otherwise?
    I didn't have a ton of time to fully dial the suspension in. For the rear, it didn't fill aggressive or gummy and I felt like I went through the suspension quicker than on the Smuggler. Even with this, still felt poppy. For the fork, the shop I demoed it from had it apart themselves to put the 140 air shaft in and I don't think they over did it with grease. The fork felt firmer than the Lyrik for sure but I didn't get a chance to play around with the damping or tokens much since I only had a few hours for a ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EastFallsShredSquad View Post
    I didn't have a ton of time to fully dial the suspension in. For the rear, it didn't fill aggressive or gummy and I felt like I went through the suspension quicker than on the Smuggler. Even with this, still felt poppy. For the fork, the shop I demoed it from had it apart themselves to put the 140 air shaft in and I don't think they over did it with grease. The fork felt firmer than the Lyrik for sure but I didn't get a chance to play around with the damping or tokens much since I only had a few hours for a ride.
    Nice review. Does your Ripley have the Traction Tune shock? Is there a way to tell...a sticker on the shock or anything?

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Anyone really use the 3 open mode settings on the Fox Factory rear shock?

I'm considering just doing the regular one as there's a chance I'll swap it out anyway for a RockShox Deluxe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Nice review. Does your Ripley have the Traction Tune shock? Is there a way to tell...a sticker on the shock or anything?
    I don't think it had the traction tune, nothing indicated that at least. It was a size large that I think the shop had for a good amount of time already.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone really use the 3 open mode settings on the Fox Factory rear shock?

I'm considering just doing the regular one as there's a chance I'll swap it out anyway for a RockShox Deluxe.
    If I had to do over I wouldn't have paid for the factory upgrade. Mine is open for trail riding and closed for the road portion I have getting to and from the trail. Never found a need for the middle position.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    If I had to do over I wouldn't have paid for the factory upgrade. Mine is open for trail riding and closed for the road portion I have getting to and from the trail. Never found a need for the middle position.
    Are you talking about the normal switch or the open mode option dial thatís under the main one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mine is set to the middle position. If I am remembering correctly that is the same as a non factory shock.

Maybe it's the trails I ride or other people are more sensitive to it, but I don't see a huge difference between 1-2-3 in open.

I've had countless bikes with Fox factory shocks and I always end up on 2.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    From what I've read, only the new Ripley's in Small and Medium are coming stock with the Traction Tune. I have an early model V4 and had my shop send my shock to Fox and they didn't want to do the Traction Tune to it as they said it is too soft and would have to be serviced constantly. Instead, they did a lighter tune than the regular stock tune. Can I tell a difference? Not really sure yet.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Rebel Rascal review by someone who owned and rides a Ripley: https://youtu.be/7SqqI8NMqIs

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Lewis Buchanan the EWS Ibis rider rides a Ripley on his local trails looks quite capable in the right hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RONH...ature=youtu.be

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Got mine last week after a 4 month wait. Built it up this weekend. Size Large.

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_3016.jpg
    2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_3021.jpg
    2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_3025.jpg
    2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_3027.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Nice build! What frame protection is that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What length dropper is that, and how tall are you?

Iím waiting on my large to come in, and ordered it with the 185.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    RideWrap, and it's awesome. I've done Invisiframe on my Mojo and the RideWrap is in another league completely.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlong724 View Post
    What length dropper is that, and how tall are you?

Iím waiting on my large to come in, and ordered it with the 185.
    185mm, 6'

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

mtbr member
    Anyone have a pic of a blue ripley with the silver pike ultimate???

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by msv1 View Post
    Got mine last week after a 4 month wait. Built it up this weekend. Size Large.
    Are those Forekasters 2.6? do they measure true to size?

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by escrowdog View Post
    Looks pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb2ikmEYxps&t=402s

I did black with silver.

mtbr member
    Looks pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb2ikmEYxps&t=402s

I did black with silver.

Forgot about that vid/bike!! Looks good. Interesting comment regarding the RS shock...which was my feeling on my YT...super deluxe was a lot more supple over the small bumps. I was going to get the Fox Factory and try it with the "traction tune" and see how it feels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Forgot about that vid/bike!! Looks good. Interesting comment regarding the RS shock...which was my feeling on my YT...super deluxe was a lot more supple over the small bumps. I was going to get the Fox Factory and try it with the "traction tune" and see how it feels.
    Yeah I was surprised about that. Let us know what you think of the Factory. I just ordered the Performance one in anticipation of probably wanting the Deluxe Ultimate. I wish there was a better comparison online about the Deluxe vs Super Deluxe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have been riding avalanche modded Fox 34 and DPS since release. I ride mostly east coast single track with rocks and roots. Been riding The Shed recently which is gobs of rock gardens, square edge hits. Suspension needs to recover fast and be supple. Been spot on so far. Couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah I was surprised about that. Let us know what you think of the Factory. I just ordered the Performance one in anticipation of probably wanting the Deluxe Ultimate. I wish there was a better comparison online about the Deluxe vs Super Deluxe.
    An RC3 with the piggyback that would fit would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
    Are those Forekasters 2.6? do they measure true to size?

For what it's worth, these measure 2.4 at the carcass, and 2.35 at the knobs.

mtbr member
    RideWrap, and it's awesome. I've done Invisiframe on my Mojo and the RideWrap is in another league completely.
    I have no experience with ride wrap, but I was impressed with the quality of Invisiframe and donít really see ways it could improve. How is Ride Wrap in a different league?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

- Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I have no experience with ride wrap, but I was impressed with the quality of Invisiframe and donít really see ways it could improve. How is Ride Wrap in a different league?
    Much, much better coverage, and thicker, more resistant film. And it fit better too. Not apples to apples as the bikes were different, but I still think it's a valid comparison. I was rather disappointed in the Invisiframe, while the RideWrap impressed me.
    Last edited by msv1; 2 Days Ago at 05:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Much, much better coverage, and thicker, more resistant film.
    Does it make it any harder to clean? Will degreaser wreck it?

Also did you have matte or gloss?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Does it make it any harder to clean? Will degreaser wreck it?
    Easier. No.

Also did you have matte or gloss?
    Gloss on Ripley, matte on Mojo

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

For what it's worth, these measure 2.4 at the carcass, and 2.35 at the knobs.
    how do you like them? they seem pretty light, how do they handle. even 2.6 seem pretty decent weight.

mtbr member

Thanks Shane! Is that your bike??

I'm trying to decide on whether to just get the performance shock vs the factory as more than likely it's coming off for a super deluxe or sent off for a tune. THAT SAID, I'm curious how the performance shock is compared to the factory, if anyone cares to comment. I definitely like the plush vs. poppy feel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019

I'm trying to decide on whether to just get the performance shock vs the factory as more than likely it's coming off for a super deluxe or sent off for a tune. THAT SAID, I'm curious how the performance shock is compared to the factory, if anyone cares to comment. I definitely like the plush vs. poppy feel.
    Other than perceived improvements from a different color I canít see any options giving you more plushness.

Why not a Ripmo?

mtbr member
    Much, much better coverage, and thicker, more resistant film. And it fit better too. Not apples to apples as the bikes were different, but I still think it's a valid comparison. I was rather disappointed in the Invisiframe, while the RideWrap impressed me.
    I've found the fit and coverage with Invisiframe pretty good but it's not a tough film. Frameskin is much tougher but more effort and hair dryer action to apply. It's also 40% more expensive and ships from Australia but was one of the originals. Looked at the Ride Wrap and it's just slighter more $ than the Invisiframe. Might have to try this next.

mtbr member
    Other than perceived improvements from a different color I canít see any options giving you more plushness.

Why not a Ripmo?
    I'm riding a heavy AL Jeffsy currently and really being honest about what I'm doing on the bike these days...enjoying knocking down miles and longer days, etc. Really wanting go the other direction for this build and try an efficient bike. As for the suspension, just because I want something that's not a poppy jackhammer doesn't mean I need a longer travel bike, just means I'm seeking better performance for MY speed and goals. The suspension now days CAN be awesome for those who care to mess with it...I don't mind messing with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I've found the fit and coverage with Invisiframe pretty good but it's not a tough film. Frameskin is much tougher but more effort and hair dryer action to apply. It's also 40% more expensive and ships from Australia but was one of the originals. Looked at the Ride Wrap and it's just slighter more $ than the Invisiframe. Might have to try this next.
    Unfortunately Frameskin's Customer Service is horrible.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Unfortunately Frameskin's Customer Service is horrible.
    Yes, I used Frameskin for my OG Ripley and then was an unknowing guinea pig for wifey's small HD3. He sent a kit at full retail which turned out to be a guestimate based on the med frame and customer measurements. I then got dragged through a back and forth exercise of making measurements on tracing paper and scanning and emailing the results back in order to get a better fit. And then made to feel like a tool for asking for a discount on his kit with a less than optimal fit. He said I should be happy with a discount on a future order. I should have known better but I have to admit the kit on the OG Ripley was bomber.

The Invisiframe folks were much easier to work with when they sent me decals for a boost rear triangle when I ordered non-boost. I've used their kits on several bikes now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Mine is in transit, should be here Friday. Can't wait!2019 Ibis Ripley V4-2020-ripley-1.jpg2019 Ibis Ripley V4-2020-ripley-2.jpg2019 Ibis Ripley V4-2020-ripley-3.jpg2019 Ibis Ripley V4-2020-ripley-4.jpg2019 Ibis Ripley V4-2020-ripley-5.jpg2019 Ibis Ripley V4-2020-ripley-6.jpg
    2020 Ibis Ripley (Incoming)

2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yes, I used Frameskin for my OG Ripley and then was an unknowing guinea pig for wifey's small HD3. He sent a kit at full retail which turned out to be a guestimate based on the med frame and customer measurements. I then got dragged through a back and forth exercise of making measurements on tracing paper and scanning and emailing the results back in order to get a better fit. And then made to feel like a tool for asking for a discount on his kit with a less than optimal fit. He said I should be happy with a discount on a future order. I should have known better but I have to admit the kit on the OG Ripley was bomber.

The Invisiframe folks were much easier to work with when they sent me decals for a boost rear triangle when I ordered non-boost. I've used their kits on several bikes now.
    Somewhat similar situation, had his kit on a Black TBC V1. The 3M matte virtually disappeared on the frame. By the time I had my OG Ripley, he couldn't get 3M matte anymore and used XPel, but didn't say anything and the pictures on the site were still of 3M matte.

Xpel matte still has some shine to it. I started to put the kit on and as it dried, I thought he had sent a gloss kit, sent pictures and he sent new kit. Install 2nd kit, still glossy, so then he finally admits he changed films.

I point him to a source for 3M matte, stupid me assumes he'll send a new kit made from 3m matte- nope, when I asked he want full price if I remember correctly.

Invisiframe complete opposite. I emailed them describing what happened and if they used Xpel and they did. He admits that 3M matte was like magic fairy dust now, but still had enough to make my kit out of it- get this NO up charge.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    ...The 3M matte virtually disappeared on the frame. ... He admits that 3M matte was like magic fairy dust now, but still had enough to make my kit out of it- get this NO up charge.
    This explains a lot. I put a matte skin from a vendor that will remain nameless on my black Ripley and after the first time I took it out in bright sun I immediately peeled it all off. I hated the look because it wasn't even close to a decent match. Fortunately the vendor was reasonable after some back and forth and substantially refunded me. But I'll never get that long frustrating evening back that I wasted on the tedious painstaking installation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    This explains a lot. I put a matte skin from a vendor that will remain nameless on my black Ripley and after the first time I took it out in bright sun I immediately peeled it all off. I hated the look because it wasn't even close to a decent match. Fortunately the vendor was reasonable after some back and forth and substantially refunded me. But I'll never get that long frustrating evening back that I wasted on the tedious painstaking installation.
    Admittedly it's out of their hands now. If I had known then what I know now- instead of giving Frameskins the source I found, I would have bought all of their stock.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Admittedly it's out of their hands now. If I had known then what I know now- instead of giving Frameskins the source I found, I would have bought all of their stock.
    What does Ride Wrap use?

mtbr member
    Just a personal preference, but I think Frameskin looks awful with all those little cut outs every 10mm in some areas. It could be just the pics, but it appears that these frame raps blend in better on the gloss painted frames and not so much on Matte black.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Matte from invisiframe looks perfect on mine. Can't see it. Really don't know what you are talking about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Matte from invisiframe looks perfect on mine. Can't see it. Really don't know what you are talking about.

Good to know. Thankís Thatís probably why I wrote ďit could just be the picsĒ

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Yes that is my bike. I tried both in demos and find them to be identical. The shock is very lightly tuned. I sent it to Avalanche to be modified and ultimately went with the CC DBAir IL

- Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What does Ride Wrap use?
    No idea, as far as I know you can't get 3M matte any more.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post

Good to know. Thankís Thatís probably why I wrote ďit could just be the picsĒ
    Pictures right from the site show the sheen Xpel has. https://www.invisiframe.co.uk/ripley...y-ls-2016.html.

Maybe you've never had a 3M kit before, but the difference sticks out to me.

This isn't a slam on Inivisframe at all. Used them on my Mojo 3, Ripley OG, Tallboy 3 and Ripley LS.

Here is the Tallboy with 3M matte:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis Ripley V4-p5pb10653085.jpg  

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-p5pb10653089.jpg  

Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    How did everyone decide on a stem length?

I wish you could rent a selection of stems to try out before buying.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Iím coming from a very old bike, so I donít have a good point of reference for modern geometry bikes. I was also not able to test ride the bike before ordering. Iím 5í10Ē and ordered a large with a 50mm stem. I just based that on looking at what size stems are stocked on other bikes for that size and scouring reviews and forum posts. I donít know if 50mm will be the right size, but Iím confident that itíll be close enough that Iíll know what size to get if Iím not happy with 50. So, if needed, Iíll sell the existing stem and buy the correct size. I donít think thatíll set me back much.

mtbr member

There are a few benefits of purchasing a bike through an LBS. Lots to be said for getting properly fitted. Otherwise, in the DIY world you take an educated guess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

This is interesting stuff for me also as a fresh XL Ripley 4 owner And BTW I'm about 6' 3.5" with long legs and arms.

Originally based on what I had on previous bikes (85mm on a L Pivot 429C and 70mm on a XL Yeti 4.5C) I thought maybe 50mm would be good so just bought some cheap 50mm stem to try out.

But now after couple of rides I think I have to try also 60mm as the 50mm feels a bit cramped especially when having the seat up.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

My shop offered up that I had 30 days to swap stems if I wanted to. Not sure if online sellers off that, but you could ask. If not, it's not a huge cost.

edit: you might consider posting up your measurements and asking the forum for advice on stem length. Could help in narrowing it down a bit.

mtbr member
    Got my bike ordered! Need some feedback on tires. I'm in KC riding dirt and rocks primarily, some trips out west here at there. Currently on 27.5 bike, 2.6 DHF and 2.5 Aggressor combo, I run 20 front 22 rear or there about. No complaints other than it's a heavy combo.

This will be my first 29'er. Getting the new i9 101 enduro S wheels. Shop is suggesting 2.35 knobby nic / hans dampf combo?? I can get another set of tires at cost if I don't like these OR if I decide to keep them for an Epic race or something. Do I even want to mess with them?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Xizor1 View Post
    This is interesting stuff for me also as a fresh XL Ripley 4 owner And BTW I'm about 6' 3.5" with long legs and arms.

Originally based on what I had on previous bikes (85mm on a L Pivot 429C and 70mm on a XL Yeti 4.5C) I thought maybe 50mm would be good so just bought some cheap 50mm stem to try out.

But now after couple of rides I think I have to try also 60mm as the 50mm feels a bit cramped especially when having the seat up.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
    I'm the same size as you and my 55mm stem feels great, but everyone is different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessgeek View Post
    I'm the same size as you and my 55mm stem feels great, but everyone is different.
    Yeah, these are pretty unique things depending on the preference and physique. I kind of want a bit of that stretched out feel on my cockpit :-D

Also to be noted that I have the saddle all the way back and stem is slammed with no spacers and CC's Slamset- headset to increase the distance from the saddle to the handlebars.

mtbr member
    Got my bike ordered! Need some feedback on tires. I'm in KC riding dirt and rocks primarily, some trips out west here at there. Currently on 27.5 bike, 2.6 DHF and 2.5 Aggressor combo, I run 20 front 22 rear or there about. No complaints other than it's a heavy combo.

This will be my first 29'er. Getting the new i9 101 enduro S wheels. Shop is suggesting 2.35 knobby nic / hans dampf combo?? I can get another set of tires at cost if I don't like these OR if I decide to keep them for an Epic race or something. Do I even want to mess with them?
    Thinking maybe 2.6 Rekon's or Forekaster especially for taking delivery in the winter? The DHF/Aggresor combo has been bulletproof for me, just like to at least try a lighter combo still with the EXO casing on a lighter bike.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213