2019 Ibis Ripley V4 - Page 11- Mtbr.com
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 2,001 to 2,191 of 2191
    mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by olibluegoat View Post
    I thought yumyum had only reviewed the new hightower.* Cant see any tallboy stuff
    Ah, my bad. You're right. He talks about the Tallboy in the Hightower live chat. He's tested it, the video just isn't up yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using ****************android_app_mtbr

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lgmoto356 View Post
    Check out mtb yumyum's live chat about the Tallboy. He basically says that it descends much better than the Ripley, but that it climbs more on par with the Ripmo, which descends much better than the Tallboy.
    That's a great quote there. I remember watching all two hours of the yumyum Ripley live chat trying to soak up every morsel and detail since demos were a pipe dream at that point and I was itching to pull the trigger on mine. No ragrets!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ok I had 3 good rides on the Ripley 4, my buddy just got the Ripley a few months ago from my recommendation. We went with the Fox 34 at 140mm and the Ibis carbon 41mm external and 35mm internal Ibis s35 hoops.

Bogeydog is spot on with his feelings how the Ripley 4 compares to the Yeti SB100 and the Spot Mayham. I still have the Yeti SB100 and love it!! I feel everything the sb100 does the Ripley does better!! kind of this floating effect while peddling very smooth and comfortable and it also feels more efficient with the front end feeling more planted when cornering. The BB is higher...the bike feels more fun and poppy over jumps and logs.

Last night a guy in the group showed up with 2 demo bikes Yeti sb130 and the Ripley 4 so we made a chance to swap back-and-forth, I started out with sb130 since I was dying to ride one it was a large same as my sb100. I noticed right off the bat how big, slow and slacked the sb130 felt. It would rail on the downs but I really had to work while turning, climbing was night and day compared the the Ripley...after about 1 hour I was tired trying to keep up to my cat 1 friends.

Then the jumped on the Ripley it was a breath of fresh air, almost "road bike like" the bike just accelerates when putting the power down. Very comfortable on the downs with very precise steering...just like bogeydog said I feel I can ride this bike for hours and hours and not feel beat up or tired. It's a great bike, just maybe getting one soon!!! Anyone using the Pike Fork check out the Torque cap option, highly recommended!!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Just got my first rides in on my Ripley. I have a Ripmo too, so easy to compare. Ripley of course feels awesome. I put a 140mm-ish Pike on it, so they descend pretty comparably as long as it's not too rough, then the shorter travel of the Ripley is noticeable. Overall quite happy.

I've had the V1 and V3 Ripleys so knew what I was getting into in with the travel, really surprised at how the front end feels close to the Ripmo with the longer fork.

The Ripley has the 4 piston XT's with 180 rotors, the Ripmo as 2 piston XT's with 203 rotors. The Ripmo has waaaay more power in the brakes. Rotor size has a bigger effect on power than the additional pistons do. I blew a few corners already. May need to up to 203's on the Ripley to get similar braking feel on the bikes.

More thoughts to come for those interested.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Anyone using the Pike Fork check out the Torque cap option, highly recommended!!
    First I've heard of Torque caps. I did some quick reading and look like something I'll want. I hate fork flex, as I'm 220 lbs and rally pretty hard.

The Hydra hubs don't come with the Torque caps from Ibis correct? Which would make sense since they come with Fox forks. I put a 140mm-ish Pike fork on my Ripley. Looks like a worthwhile $30 upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredlyMcShredface View Post
    First I've heard of Torque caps. I did some quick reading and look like something I'll want. I hate fork flex, as I'm 220 lbs and rally pretty hard.

The Hydra hubs don't come with the Torque caps from Ibis correct? Which would make sense since they come with Fox forks. I put a 140mm-ish Pike fork on my Ripley. Looks like a worthwhile $30 upgrade.
    i run them on the ripmo with a lyrik and DT240 hubs. no complaints.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    i run them on the ripmo with a lyrik and DT240 hubs. no complaints.
    Are your hubs 6 bolt or center lock?

The Hydra hubs from Ibis are centerlock. From what I'm learning center lock is not compatible with Torque Cap at all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

2nd Demo Ride - Ibis Ripley V4

On a quest to find my next full suspension mountain bike. Been taking my time (since I bought a new hardtail last year). Demoed 18 bikes so far (I know - overkill). And my favorite ... the new Ripley.

Name:  Ripley-GX-Demo.png
Views: 174
Size:  226.9 KB

Here is a YouTube video of my 2nd demo on the Ripley:

https://youtu.be/5PplQ10UPac

Got to ride it on my home trail: Green Mountain - Rooney Valley Trail (green/blue with extended climbs, steep section climbs, rollers, and lots of turns). Great flow trail.

Also rode Apex Trail in Golden Colorado (blue/black with lots of tech climbing and fast downhill with roots, 1-2 foot drops/rolls, rock gardens, sharp rocks, and general mayhem. Great tech trail (toward the top of my skill level).

11 months ago, I OTB crashed and broke my collarbone (off a double drop - made the first one - fork failed on second). Had surgery and now have a metal plate in my shoulder with 9 screws and a teather cord and button. 5 months off bike recovering ... and gaining weight. Fun.

So I've been looking for a more STABLE bike (new geo, slack). But my background has been riding XC style light bikes (to climb our big hills). Riding for 20 years - first OTB and first broken bone.

Riding the BIG bikes, did not feel great. Too heavy, cumbersome, and difficult to move around.

I was at a demo event and wanted to ride the Ripmo. All out. Only had a Ripley left. I did not know anything about it (4v just released that month). So I took it. Was a blast.

The Ripley is light weight and a fantastic climber. Yet it has awesome geo for a very secure feeling on the downhill.

LOVE the long reach. I'm between sizes L/XL at 6'2". Usually size down to throw bike around. But now with stability focus, been sizing up on demos whenever possible. The XL Ripley with 500 reach is amaizng. Feels SO good. Can really move around on the bike.

Flash forward to my second demo ride.

On my home trail (flow), this bike railed the corners and was a blast on the rollers. I was concerned about turning radius (since this bike is so much longer than my hardtail). No problem. I believe it cuts tigher than my hardtail (which does not make sense on paper). I think it's because the longer reach creates more room up front and I don't hit my knee on the handlebar - so I can crank more.

Also, hand pain - not. I've been experiencing hand pain on my hardtail lately. Rode the Ripley for one hour (night ride), then 2.5 hours next day. Zero hand pain. Not sure why. Thought the steeper seat tube angle and longer reach would through my weight forward and cause more wrist pressure. Not. Might be carbon handlebar helped. Don't know why, but hands/arms felt great.

On the tech trail (Apex), I was scared after OTB. So I wanted to push myself and "test" the bike at my current limits. Glad I did. The Ripley gave me amazing confidence in the chunk. Rolled over everything well. Accidently rolled a 4 foot surprise drop. I freaked. Ripley smiled, stayed calm, and pushed through it. So cool.

If you are coming from a XC bike (hard or soft), the Ripley will feel awesome - yet give you so much more confidence and capacity. Love this bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just got my first rides in on my Ripley. I have a Ripmo too, so easy to compare. Ripley of course feels awesome. I put a 140mm-ish Pike on it, so they descend pretty comparably as long as it's not too rough, then the shorter travel of the Ripley is noticeable. Overall quite happy.

I've had the V1 and V3 Ripleys so knew what I was getting into in with the travel, really surprised at how the front end feels close to the Ripmo with the longer fork.

The Ripley has the 4 piston XT's with 180 rotors, the Ripmo as 2 piston XT's with 203 rotors. The Ripmo has waaaay more power in the brakes. Rotor size has a bigger effect on power than the additional pistons do. I blew a few corners already. May need to up to 203's on the Ripley to get similar braking feel on the bikes.

More thoughts to come for those interested.
    ShredlyMcShredface, thanks for info on the rotor size. How much do you weigh? Are you going to run 203 front and back?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Are your hubs 6 bolt or center lock?

The Hydra hubs from Ibis are centerlock. From what I'm learning center lock is not compatible with Torque Cap at all.
    centerlock DT Swiss 240. they work fine with torque caps...

mtbr member
    May 2017
    centerlock DT Swiss 240. they work fine with torque caps...
    Weird, I even called Industry Nine and they said they don't make one for centerlock hubs. I wonder if either Industry Nine doesn't do it, or the person I spoke with didn't know his facts.

mtbr member

2019 Ibis Ripley V4

Weird, I even called Industry Nine and they said they don't make one for centerlock hubs. I wonder if either Industry Nine doesn't do it, or the person I spoke with didn't know his facts.
    he is using DT hubs, maybe itís just something i9 doesnít have. I also have dt 240 centerlock with torque end caps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    yup. and the caps for DT are NOT CL specific. the same caps work for 6 bolt hubs as well. i really love the modular nature of DTs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lgmoto356 View Post
    Check out mtb yumyum's live chat about the Tallboy. He basically says that it descends much better than the Ripley, but that it climbs more on par with the Ripmo, which descends much better than the Tallboy.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using ****************android_app_mtbr
    I'd take that review with a grain of salt...his Ripley is top end XTR build with lightweight tires and probably carbon rims, vs. Tallboy GX build with Minions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    i hate to hate, but i wonder if the tall boy really does climb on par with the ripmo.

it's awesome that santa cruz has so many updated bikes coming out, but i don't know who the TB4 is really for? #dadbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    he is using DT hubs, maybe itís just something i9 doesnít have. I also have dt 240 centerlock with torque end caps.
    Yes certain manufacturers don't make them with center lock hubs like Onyx hubs for instance but they make them with 6 bolt!! I have gone through all the hubs on the market but now I just use DT Swiss 240, the lightest and easiest to work on with so many options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    After spending some quality time on a Ripmo AF with the DVO setup I got to thinking about some changes to my Ripley.

Mine has both upgrades to the Factory Fox, but being 230 loaded up, I am finding they are not quite suited well for my weight. If I dial them in for mid stroke and bottom out they are pretty harsh even with running more/larger spacers. Instead of getting them both custom tuned I figured I'd look into DVO after loving the ride on the Ripmo AF.

I emailed DVO about a shock & fork combination for the Ripley 4. They said they can reduce the stroke in their 190x50 Topaz T3Air to a 190x45 to match the Ripley.

The Sapphire 34 D1 already comes good to go with the 44mm short offset and can be user configured between 120-140mm.

Any thoughts from the experts here?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I am running a dvo diamond 150mm on my large ls v3 and love it. I was at 235 lbs. now at 215. Running Fox dpx2 on dear. Also better than dps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Anybody riding the NX build kit? Thoughts on weight, etc?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by rmanalan View Post
    First ride complete... only a 10 mile ride on my local trails (JMP in Oakland)... take with a grain of salt.

I'm coming off a Spot Rollik (27.5) which pedals and climbs really well -- so I had high expectations. In the first 15 minutes of the ride, I decided to tackle this rock face I've never been able to clear on my Spot or my hardtail (Trek Stache -- but maybe because of the XC tires I have on them). Either way, first attempt... cleared it. Easy. The front wheel was planted and the rear was very active as it climbed through the roots and rocks. Placebo effect? Dunno.

Other observations:

• Super supple -- my Spot (150/160 travel) isn't known for being supple so coming over to the Ripley was a pleasant surprise. It actually feels a lot more like the HD3 I used to have. I love DW-link bikes.
    • Slow front wheel steering at slow speed -- I know a lot of you have mentioned this, but honestly it never bothered me. At speed the steering is super stable but still nimble.
    • The new S35 carbon wheels look like the older 942s. Not sure much has really changed.
    • Playfulness -- a lot of you said this bike is super playful (i.e., wants to jump and dance around). While I did feel that, it's not as playful as my Spot, but then again, that's a 27.5. Also, maybe my rear shock needs more air. It's super supple... maybe at the cost of being playful? Dunno.

That's it. Can't wait to go on a longer adventure with it. This is a GX Eagle build with the S35 carbon wheels and carbon bars. Also opted for the Fox 34 Performance and DPS Performance. Weighed in at 28lbs and change with Kona WahWah pedals. I also opted for the DHF+Aggressor combo. While I like these over the NN+HD combo, I'm looking forward to putting on some XR4+XR3s on them when I wear these out. The DHF+Aggressor combo is pretty burly for where I ride. Oh... and I punctured the aggressor toward the end of the ride. It's been at least a year since I've gotten a puncture.
    So I'm currently in the market for a new bike and was actually looking at both the Ripley and the Rollik. Three months in, any further thoughts about how the two bikes compare? Relative strengths, weaknesses? If you could only have one?

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwbriss View Post
    So I'm currently in the market for a new bike and was actually looking at both the Ripley and the Rollik. Three months in, any further thoughts about how the two bikes compare? Relative strengths, weaknesses? If you could only have one?

I know you weren't asking me, but I am a little over 2 months in, with over 200 miles on my Ripley and I could not be happier. It is the perfect bike for my riding style. Climbs like an absolute beast, and it competent on the downhills. I have never felt overwhelmed on the downhills. I am considering upgrading to 4 piston breaks though. Other than that, its a quiver killer for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Are there any small females out there riding the new Ripley? Have a friend who is 5'1" and about 120 lbs and interested in a Ripley. Curious how this bike rides for smaller riders. No real chance to demo unfortunately...

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    Are there any small females out there riding the new Ripley? Have a friend who is 5'1" and about 120 lbs and interested in a Ripley. Curious how this bike rides for smaller riders. No real chance to demo unfortunately...
    Not female, but my son rides a medium and crushes with it. He is 13, 5'2" 95 lbs.

Technically he should be on a small, but at the rate kids grow I didn't want to buy him a new frame next year. The medium fits him just fine.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    yup. and the caps for DT are NOT CL specific. the same caps work for 6 bolt hubs as well. i really love the modular nature of DTs.
    hmm, I wonder if the i9 torque caps for 6 bolt will work on the CL too.... likely need to go over to the wheels or fork forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I am in the process from going from a large to an XL. My XL bike shows up today, so my large will be up for grabs if anyone wants a 2 month old, clean GX build V4.

mtbr member
    hmm, I wonder if the i9 torque caps for 6 bolt will work on the CL too.... likely need to go over to the wheels or fork forum.
    likely not, otherwise why wouldn't i9 sell it as a torque cap adapter for both? I'm guessing there is some difference in the hubs enough for it to not be compatible which is a bummer

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    likely not, otherwise why wouldn't i9 sell it as a torque cap adapter for both? I'm guessing there is some difference in the hubs enough for it to not be compatible which is a bummer
    Mystery is solved, as I was seeing the part for a torque cap for centerlock show up on a few webstores, but no one had them.

I contacted i9 again and this time they confirmed they just started making torque caps for the new Hydra hubs in centerlock. They are brand new, so not on their webstore yet.
    For those interested it's part# HKMA24.

I will have them next week.

i9 is a great company. Really for me it's either i9 or DT Swiss.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I know you weren't asking me, but I am a little over 2 months in, with over 200 miles on my Ripley and I could not be happier. It is the perfect bike for my riding style. Climbs like an absolute beast, and it competent on the downhills. I have never felt overwhelmed on the downhills. I am considering upgrading to 4 piston breaks though. Other than that, its a quiver killer for me.
    I read somwhere on MTBR, perhaps this thread that someone had a bike with the 4 piston and another bike and they felt that simply increasing the rotor size to 200 on 2 piston XT was a bigger improvement than the 4 piston calipers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    girlfriend is 5'2'' and 100. rides a small with no real probs. came from a 27.5 hardtail too. test rode alot of bikes, including orbea oiz and felt the most comfortable on this. stock shock tune is even good i think. IOW fox is underdamped for most and she even runs a 160mm bikeyoke dropper IIRC

she runs a ~40mm stem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

ripley and rollik are in different category. ripley vs mayhem 29 or hd3 vs rollik is what would be more apples to apples comparison and i can chime in on both. i didnt have rollik but i demoed it several times. spot hq is 5 min drive from me and their free demo program is awesome. i ended up buying mayhem 29 last summer (impulse buy) and eventually regretted it and sold it. the suspension design is probably love or hate thing for people. i liked it at the beginning but after a novelty wore off i really was not a big fan and more and more was reaching for my hd3 instead, eventually i would not ride mayhem anymore so i decided to sell it. maybe if they had different stiffness leaf spring so that user could swap and try it might work, but as it was, it was just too harsh and rigid no matter what i did. and i even had it set up for me with spot several times. i kept looking at the shock during the rides to make sure it is actually moving. end of this spring i got v4 and it is so much better bike, suspension feels so good and smooth. plus you can run big tires, and no ugly rear brake routing along the outside of the frame.
    but i was always dw-link guy, i have been on ibis bikes for past 10 years or so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This is my Yeti sb100 with my new Derby carbon rims they have been wet sanded then polished to get that finish, dt swiss 240 center hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes with Bontrager XR3 rear 2.4 with cush core XC insert in rear only. Front trying out 2.6 bonty XR4 2.6 tire for fall and winter.
    When I get the Ibis Ripley V4 frame only will swap over this wheel/tire combo to the Ripley and probably go Fox 36 at 140mm with 44 offset Grip2. Sram AXS 12 speed drive train.

Still thinking I need to demo the Ripmo 1st since I'll be keeping the SB100 and going 2 my lighter wheel set for the Yeti... any feedback appreciated.

Also anyone running a Fox 36 grip2 at 140mm/44mm offset on the Ripley?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_3935.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My wife and I love our V4's she is 5'3 120lbs on small, I am about 5'6 on med 160lbs.
    Anyone have a v4 with the new traction tune as I guess the small and Med have been shipping with that past few weeks? I am going to send our shocks in this winter for this. Thoughts out there ? Wonder what the weight cut off for this on V4. Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    This is my Yeti sb100 with my new Derby carbon rims they have been wet sanded then polished to get that finish, dt swiss 240 center hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes with Bontrager XR3 rear 2.4 with cush core XC insert in rear only. Front trying out 2.6 bonty XR4 2.6 tire for fall and winter.
    When I get the Ibis Ripley V4 frame only will swap over this wheel/tire combo to the Ripley and probably go Fox 36 at 140mm with 44 offset Grip2. Sram AXS 12 speed drive train.

Still thinking I need to demo the Ripmo 1st since I'll be keeping the SB100 and going 2 my lighter wheel set for the Yeti... any feedback appreciated.

Also anyone running a Fox 36 grip2 at 140mm/44mm offset on the Ripley?
    If you ever ride chunky, steeper trails (Sedona, Phoenix, etc), the Ripmo/SB100 combo might better suit you. I've had SB100 (sold to get Mach 4SL), now have Ripley and Ripmo. There's not THAT separation between the 100 and Ripley to just have those 2 bikes IMO. You'd cover more options with the Ripmo and Yeti. The Ripley is a PERFECT 1-bike quiver, but if you have more than one sled I'd recommend a little more difference between the two. And in case you take your bike somewhere, you can rest assured that either the SB100 or Ripmo are comfortable on just about any trail. That is, the Ripmo can be ridden and enjoyed on more XC trails, and the 100 can handle most "all-mountain" stuff, i.e. steeper, rockier.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamogal View Post
    My wife and I love our V4's she is 5'3 120lbs on small, I am about 5'6 on med 160lbs.
    Anyone have a v4 with the new traction tune as I guess the small and Med have been shipping with that past few weeks? I am going to send our shocks in this winter for this. Thoughts out there ? Wonder what the weight cut off for this on V4. Cheers
    i'm stirring the pot alot in the ibis forums on this, but don't waste the time and money. get a mcleod and run it stock or get a Deluxe and send it in to Vorsprung. don't waste your time on the DPS. please.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    In regards to the brakes questino 203 rotors will dissipate heat faster, but won't necessary make you stop faster, unless doing long continuous downhills where you are using your brakes constantly, like Whistler! 180s are fine for this bike, I have the 4 piston XTs on my Ripley and Code RSCs with 203s on my Ripmo, the 4 piston XTs are pretty damn good. I would upgrade to 4 pistons before rotor upgrade

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    i'm stirring the pot alot in the ibis forums on this, but don't waste the time and money. get a mcleod and run it stock or get a Deluxe and send it in to Vorsprung. don't waste your time on the DPS. please.
    How bout Avalanche? Mine works great

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    i hear nothing but good things about them. i inquired about working on a dpx2 one time, and maybe it was just communication style, but i didn't get a good feeling about what was *actually* going to be done to the shock. i think he'd definitely tell you the same thing i said about trying to work on a DPS though.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fillyo View Post
    In regards to the brakes questino 203 rotors will dissipate heat faster, but won't necessary make you stop faster, unless doing long continuous downhills where you are using your brakes constantly, like Whistler! 180s are fine for this bike, I have the 4 piston XTs on my Ripley and Code RSCs with 203s on my Ripmo, the 4 piston XTs are pretty damn good. I would upgrade to 4 pistons before rotor upgrade
    I am riding 2 bikes, both with XT brakes. One is XT single piston with 203's. The other is XT dual piston with 180's. The power of the single piston 203's is WAAAAAY more than the dual piston 180's.

A back to back test in a parking lot would be obvious to anyone which is more powerful.

mtbr member
    i think he'd definitely tell you the same thing i said about trying to work on a DPS though.
    A couple of years ago I was talking to Craig at Avalanche about getting a Fox shock modified, and asked him what was the best starting point for his work. This was when DPS was a fairly new product and CTD shocks were still available. He said to get a CTD over the DPS if I were buying a shock to send in to be modified. But these days I am just running a McLeod on all my bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    yup. can't go wrong with a mcleod if the air spring works for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Forgive me, cause I know this has already come up a lot...

I'm stuck between sizes and struggling hard to decide between medium and large - even after scouring through this thread.

I'm 5' 10" on a good day and have a 30" pant inseam. Huskier build.

Right now I ride a large Yeti SB5 LR with a 50mm stem. The reach feels like it couldn't be any longer, and my pedal stroke feels stretched to the max with a 150mm dropper.

The Ripley 4 reach is longer than the SB5, but I know the seat tube angle on the Ripley won't make that as noticeable.

I do like to get cheeky and toss/pop the bike around, and I haven't ridden a 29er before. So I'm wondering if the medium Ripley with a longer stem might be my best bet.

But then I see so many people with my dimensions saying they went with a large and haven't looked back.

Don't have access to demo. :/ Can you guys please help me? Any opinions are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I demoed the Ripley 4 for 2 days. It's a great all around bike, but they run small. I tested the XL and even with a 70 mm stem which they don't recommend I felt cramped. The XL Tallboy 4 felt much bigger. I had the seat pushed all the way back on both bikes. I would size up for sure. If you like Yeti definitely check out the SB100 and SB130 before purchasing. They pedal and climb better than anything I've ridden to date. I'm deciding between the TB4 and SB130. The SB130 is around 1 1/2 pounds heavier but more capable on the decent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    you'll be fine on a medium. you could do either technically, but with the color you've provided, you won't be disappointed on the medium.

the only caveat is: if you like to run a high stack, this will significantly reduce the effective reach. the ideal case for you is to run a 15mm headset cover and that's it. that will maximize your reach. you can run a 60mm or 70mm stem on the ripley and not dilute the experience.

the OTHER benefit to doing the medium is that the EFFECTIVE seat tube angle will be slacker than it would be on the large, both easing the transition from the 73.5deg STA on your yeti, and also providing a little more reach compared to what's shown on paper. at 30inch inseam, the Large will feel REALLY steep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebirds View Post

I'm stuck between sizes and struggling hard to decide between medium and large - even after scouring through this thread.

Right now I ride a large Yeti SB5 LR with a 50mm stem. The reach feels like it couldn't be any longer, and my pedal stroke feels stretched to the max with a 150mm dropper.

The Ripley 4 reach is longer than the SB5, but I know the seat tube angle on the Ripley won't make that as noticeable.

I do like to get cheeky and toss/pop the bike around, and I haven't ridden a 29er before. So I'm wondering if the medium Ripley with a longer stem might be my best bet.

But then I see so many people with my dimensions saying they went with a large and haven't looked back.

Don't have access to demo. :/ Can you guys please help me? Any opinions are appreciated.
    At 5'10" I would not even consider a medium. I am 5'8" and I believe I am in between sizes.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    4 Rides in and loving it. Also have a Ripmo. Don't lump me in the switched from Ripmo to Ripley club though they are definitely different rides. Both sooooo good.

Went with

GX shifty bits and crank
    I9 wheels
    Factory rear shock
    140-ish Pike fork (with torque caps)
    Rekon EXO+ rear tire
    Assegai EXO+ front tire
    Alloy Race Face Atlas Bar
    Grip Shift Shifters
    XT dual piston brakes w/ 180 rotors f/r
    Time trail pedals
    Rogue lock on grips
    WTB Pure V saddle
    Bike Yoke 185mm dropper
    Mirrycle Incredibell Bell (5th bike this has been on now)

Weighs........ the exact right amount of pounds and ounces

Love the bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_3641.jpg  

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_3642.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I am 5'10 with 30" inseam
    My neck started to ache after a couple of hours riding a demo large Ripley v4.
    The parking lot ride of the medium Ripley makes me think its a better fit.
    this is a lot of money to drop on clothes/shoes that don't fit.
    good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

5'9" here with 30" inseam @ 180lb ready to ride on a Large Ripley 4.

Great bike! Purchased it to complement my SC Megatower and to replace a Yeti ASRc.

Build:
    SRAM AXS X01 groupo
    Shimano XT 2 piston brakes 203mm front/180mm rear rotors
    Fox Factory shock and fork (130mm travel fork)
    Bike yoke revive dropper 185mm with plenty of room to move it in into the seatube
    Spank 160 saddle
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Ibis Al handlebar 780mm
    Syntace 40mm stem
    Ibis S28 carbon logo wheelset
    Maxxis DHF 2.5WT front, Ardent 2.4 rear
    25lb 11oz

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-img_8459.jpg

mtbr member
    I read through this whole thread and this bike and everyone seems to like it. How many purchased it with out even test riding it? I sold my mountain bike Wednesday and currently looking for something new. My LBS has a left over Tallboy 3 that Iím interested in. But a piece of me is telling me to just order a new Ripley and wait. Itís going to kill me not having a bike for fall, which is my favorite time of year to ride.
    2017 Surly Ogre

In Transit
    Nov 2009

I'm a little over 5'10 with a 30" pant inseam as well and a parking lot ride on a size L Ripley with the standard kit felt so insanely good that I pulled the trigger on my own. I now have almost 3" of seat post showing on my 160mm Bike Yoke dropper so I wish that my build kit would have come with a 185mm. I do set my seat height for proper, XC-style leg extension at full height though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I read through this whole thread and this bike and everyone seems to like it. How many purchased it with out even test riding it? I sold my mountain bike Wednesday and currently looking for something new. My LBS has a left over Tallboy 3 that Iím interested in. But a piece of me is telling me to just order a new Ripley and wait. Itís going to kill me not having a bike for fall, which is my favorite time of year to ride.
    I bought mine without a test ride, it was the first in the UK as I went to Boston to get it (random I know!).

I absolutely love the thing, it was exactly what I was hoping someone would launch with progressive geometry, the right amount of travel etc and itís turned out to be the perfect bike for me.

The TB4 was definitely in my sights too but at that point there was no saying when SC would launch it. Having read and seen what I now know, Iím still glad I went with the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gigero View Post
    Large Ripley 4
    Beautiful!

How many purchased it with out even test riding it?
    I did. No test bike was available at that time.
    (same story with the other four MTBs of the last years)

Love it, amazing, fun bike.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I didn't test ride it. I did own a Ripmo and a V1 and V3 Ripley, so I knew I was getting awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyman View Post
    I demoed the Ripley 4 for 2 days. It's a great all around bike, but they run small. I tested the XL and even with a 70 mm stem which they don't recommend I felt cramped. The XL Tallboy 4 felt much bigger. I had the seat pushed all the way back on both bikes. I would size up for sure. If you like Yeti definitely check out the SB100 and SB130 before purchasing. They pedal and climb better than anything I've ridden to date. I'm deciding between the TB4 and SB130. The SB130 is around 1 1/2 pounds heavier but more capable on the decent.
    Out of curiosity how tall are you?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyman View Post
    If you like Yeti definitely check out the SB100 and SB130 before purchasing. They pedal and climb better than anything I've ridden to date. I'm deciding between the TB4 and SB130. The SB130 is around 1 1/2 pounds heavier but more capable on the decent.
    My buddy's SB130 definitely doesn't climb better than my Ripley 4 and turns like a truck at low speeds but it IS more capable on the downhills, so I agree with that part.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I'm 5'5" (but longer torso, shorter legs) and demoed a medium with no adjustments made to the stem, seat, etc. and it's perfect.

I'm currently riding a v1 Bronson, small. Too small for me but according to the charts what I should ride. I should be on a medium.

In any event, I didn't take the Ripley down or up any tight switchbacks, but it was very nimble. I felt the Bronson was too twitchy for me, I could never dial in my turns, always oversteering, then understeering due to overcorrection. First ride on the Ripley and it was like a glove.

I will say, I don't know if it's the 29'er, or the 2.6 tires on 35mm rims, but if I leaned over too much the wheel would try to slip out. I think as I'm further away from the contact patch I needed to adjust my body a bit more. I'm not even talking a huge lean either. Just a little one.

I def noticed the shorter travel compared to 150mm for bigger hits. But on chatter, it was like butter compared to the old VPP which was one of its worst points.

Oh, and I'm loving 29 wheels. We climb a little bit here in So Cal and it just moves. I will say, the medium GX build at 29lbs with pedals was a bit much. That's 1lb more than my Bronson

I'd probably go ahead with a better crank, XT 12 speed drive train, a lightweight 33mm iw rim, and lighter tires. But my first time on 2.6 tires ... and I'm not sure if it was the DW Link or tires, but it felt so smooth. I loved it. If those changes knock it down to 25-26 lb I'd be real good. The wheels alone were 2.6lb more than my current wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Hello, I hope I'm in the right place. I've got a new mountain bike coming up. The Ibis Ripley sounds very exciting. But according to everything I read, a Liteville 301 MK 15 would also be an option for me. Can anyone tell me how both bikes compare? Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to test both wheels without further ado.

I ride for the joy of riding: (several days) tours and just as gladly technically uphill and downhill (S2/S3). So I imagine something like 13 kg/28,66 lb with 140 mm travel, 29" tyrers with 2,4" to 2,6" width.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How tall are you on a bad day?
    I parking lot rode a large then a medium and then the large again to make sure. The large had a longer than 50mm stem and felt way better than the medium with a 50mm stem. Iím 5í8Ē with a 30Ē inseam which is right on the border of both sizes. Sizing is tough and very personal for each individual. The best way is to try both thinking about your riding style and the trails youíll be riding. Working with a shop that has both sizes helps along with them sizing you appropriate to your needs.

Ride it, donít write about it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    4 Rides in and loving it. Also have a Ripmo. Don't lump me in the switched from Ripmo to Ripley club though they are definitely different rides. Both sooooo good.
    If you had to sell one, which would go?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    I'd be super interested to hear the answer to this as well!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Okay Yall, I wanted to offer you hardcore Ripley fans first an offer to buy my V4 Ripley before I put up for sale on Pinkbike. For photos, check out the Craigslist ad below.

https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/...988622192.html

$6000 for a
    2020 Ibis Ripley size large but fit my 5' 9" height.
    A custom V4 Ripley modified to be an actual baby Ripmo. Slacked out 64.5 degrees with a 150 mm of front travel this bike dominates the downhill, rips it on the flats and flies uphill.

I love this bike, but reality has kicked in, and I cannot afford it. So sadly, I am selling it. Buyer pays for Paypal fees, professional packaging, shipping, and shipping insurance. Included is the original 140mm air shaft and a standard Cane Creek headset. These parts will bring the head angle back to 66 degrees. The frame and fork are wrapped in helicopter tape. There is a superficial scratch on the handlebars and a light scratch on the fork shaft, not the stanchions. The hype for the I 9 hubs is real, these are the best hubs I have ever ridden, and as a bonus, the buzz sound alerts the hikers. The pedals are not included.

I have rated the condition of every part after each part listing.

Components:
    2020 Ibis black carbon frame with an upgraded Manitou Mcleod shock - 9.5 rating
    ---original performance Fox Float shock included.
    Noble carbon 33 rims with Industry Nine Torch hubs & Sapiam spokes - 9 rating
    Maxxis DHf 2.6 tire - 9.5 rating
    Maxxis DHr 2.4 tire - 9 rating
    2020 Rock Shox Pike Ultimate Fork 150mm 42mm offset 9.5 rating
    Works Components 1 degree slack headset - 10 rating
    Syntace Megaforce 40 mm stem - 9.5 rating
    Enve Carbon bars riser 780mm- 8.5 rating
    Grips ODI Ag1 V2 - 9 rating
    One up dropper post lever - 9.5 rating
    Fox Transfer dropper post - 9.5 rating
    Raceface Next Carbon cranks 170mm - 9 rating
    Race Face bottom bracket - 9 rating
    Absolute Black oval 26 teeth chainring - 9 rating
    XT m8100 Chain - 9.5 rating
    XT m8100 rear derailleur - 9.5 rating
    XT m8100 shifter - 9.5 rating
    XT M8100 50 teeth Cassette - 9.5 rating
    XT 4 piston brakes - 9 rating
    XTR 180 mm Rotors - 8.5 rating
    Last edited by JDCrais; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDCrais View Post
    Okay Yall, I wanted to offer you hardcore Ripley fans first an offer to buy my V4 Ripley before I put up for sale on Pinkbike. For photos check out the Craigslist ad below.

https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/...988622192.html

$6000 for a
    2020 Ibis Ripley size large but fit my 5'9" height
    A custom V4 Ripley modified to be an actual baby Ripmo. Slacked out 64.5 degrees with a 150 mm of front travel this bike dominates the downhill, rips it on the flats and flies uphill.

I love this bike, but reality has kicked in, and I cannot afford it. So sadly, I am selling it. Buyer pays for Paypal fees, professional packaging, shipping, and shipping insurance. Included is the original 140mm air shaft and a standard Cane Creek headset. These parts will bring the head angle back to 66 degrees. The frame and fork are wrapped in helicopter tape. There is a superficial scratch on the handlebars and a light scratch on the fork shaft, not the stanchions. The hype for the I 9 hubs is real, these are the best hubs I have ever ridden, and as a bonus, the buzz sound alerts the hikers. I have rated the condition of every part after each part listing. The pedals are not included.

Components:
    2020 Ibis black carbon frame with an upgraded Manitou Mcleod shock - 9.5 rating
    Noble carbon 33 rims with Industry Nine Torch hubs & Sapiam spokes - 9 rating
    Maxxis DHf 2.6 tire - 9.5 rating
    Maxxis DHr 2.4 tire - 9 rating
    2020 Rock Shox Pike Ultimate Fork 150mm 42mm offset 9.5 rating
    Works Components 1 degree slack headset - 10 rating
    Syntace Megaforce 40 mm stem - 9.5 rating
    Enve Carbon bars riser 780mm- 8.5 rating
    Grips ODI Ag1 V2 - 9 rating
    One up dropper post lever - 9.5 rating
    Fox Transfer dropper post - 9.5 rating
    Raceface Next Carbon cranks 170mm - 9 rating
    Race Face bottom bracket - 9 rating
    Absolute Black oval 26 teeth chainring - 9 rating
    XT m8100 Chain - 9.5 rating
    XT m8100 rear derailleur - 9.5 rating
    XT m8100 shifter - 9.5 rating
    XT M8100 50 teeth Cassette - 9.5 rating
    XT 4 piston brakes - 9 rating
    If this was a factory build I would be all over this but 150 mm fork is drastic for me.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JDCrais View Post
    I have to ask, what are the "ratings". Love the idea of a 150 fork on a Ripley, seems like a good idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If this was a factory build I would be all over this but 150 mm fork is drastic for me.
    He says he includes the 140 air shaft.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

After riding the Ripley all summer, I can say that I prefer the Ripley. But, they're really two very different bikes. The reason I wanted a Ripley was because the Rollik is often too much bike for where I ride. I thought that I'd use the Rollik for rowdier trails, but honestly, the Ripley handles it just fine. So, I'll likely sell the Rollik.

The Ripley is so much faster and smoother to ride than the Rollik too, but probably because it's a 29er.

Both are great bikes, but for me the Ripley wins.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by gigero View Post
    5'9" here with 30" inseam @ 180lb ready to ride on a Large Ripley 4.

Great bike! Purchased it to complement my SC Megatower and to replace a Yeti ASRc.

Build:
    SRAM AXS X01 groupo
    Shimano XT 2 piston brakes 203mm front/180mm rear rotors
    Fox Factory shock and fork (130mm travel fork)
    Bike yoke revive dropper 185mm with plenty of room to move it in into the seatube
    Spank 160 saddle
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Ibis Al handlebar 780mm
    Syntace 40mm stem
    Ibis S28 carbon logo wheelset
    Maxxis DHF 2.5WT front, Ardent 2.4 rear
    25lb 11oz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8459.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	461.5 KB 
ID:	1282217
    Mind if I ask what spacer you are using with the front brake setup? Looking to change my 2p XT front brake from 180 to 203 rotors.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_86_951 View Post
    Mind if I ask what spacer you are using with the front brake setup? Looking to change my 2p XT front brake from 180 to 203 rotors.
    Thanks!
    No worries.
    Depends on what fork you're using. But, if it's the Fox 34 then you'll need a 160mm post to 203 rotor adapter.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-F2...-Brake-Adapter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not sure how a manitou Mccleod is an upgrade.... it was designed around the fox shock....

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    LOL. DPS is garbage compared to the mcleod. "designed around" is just marketing at this level.

Elitest thrill junkie
    LOL. DPS is garbage compared to the mcleod. "designed around" is just marketing at this level.
    My McLeod is garbage compared to my DPS. My DPS dampens pretty nicely and isn't jackhammer harsh like my McLeod. With the ML, you are "hoping" that the standard tune will work, but like any suspension product, that may turn out well, or backfire big time.

In the big thread on the shocks/suspension page, they were comparing the ML to years old bottom-line Fox Evo garbage. Yeah, it's better than that, but it's not some revolution either. I think most riders are better served from having their chassis, whatever it is, monarch, DPS, ML, tuned by a professional tuner like Avalanche, Vorsprung, Push, etc. Then you aren't shooting in the dark hoping it will work, and a custom tuned-anything will significantly outperform the best OEM shock IME.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    or just have it revalved? you can do that with the mcleod.

they updated the piston recently with bleed holes. it made a big difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The Mcleod is an upgrade for the Ripley compared to the original fox shock. It is better in every way from the platform to the plushness of the shock and the consistent feel. However, the original fox float shock is included. The 150mm slackens it out a bit and gives it a bit more travel and a bit more bottom bracket clearance. However, as stated in the ad, the 140mm air shaft is available to be installed. It should cost less than $50 to install. BTW, the cranks are 170mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Good point. They are for the quality of the components since I bought it this spring I wanted to be clear as to what state the components are in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    My McLeod is garbage compared to my DPS. My DPS dampens pretty nicely and isn't jackhammer harsh like my McLeod. With the ML, you are "hoping" that the standard tune will work, but like any suspension product, that may turn out well, or backfire big time.

In the big thread on the shocks/suspension page, they were comparing the ML to years old bottom-line Fox Evo garbage. Yeah, it's better than that, but it's not some revolution either. I think most riders are better served from having their chassis, whatever it is, monarch, DPS, ML, tuned by a professional tuner like Avalanche, Vorsprung, Push, etc. Then you aren't shooting in the dark hoping it will work, and a custom tuned-anything will significantly outperform the best OEM shock IME.
    You had trouble with your setup, not on a Ripley, so you came here to mischaracterize that entire thread on the McLeod? Aren't you the same guy who couldn't figure out how to get the air can off of a McLeod?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    If you ever ride chunky, steeper trails (Sedona, Phoenix, etc), the Ripmo/SB100 combo might better suit you. I've had SB100 (sold to get Mach 4SL), now have Ripley and Ripmo. There's not THAT separation between the 100 and Ripley to just have those 2 bikes IMO. You'd cover more options with the Ripmo and Yeti. The Ripley is a PERFECT 1-bike quiver, but if you have more than one sled I'd recommend a little more difference between the two. And in case you take your bike somewhere, you can rest assured that either the SB100 or Ripmo are comfortable on just about any trail. That is, the Ripmo can be ridden and enjoyed on more XC trails, and the 100 can handle most "all-mountain" stuff, i.e. steeper, rockier.
    Thanks for your input, I'm sending my rear shock off to Ethan at the Flow Zone for tune and service on my sb100. I'm really liking the new wider Derby wheels with 2.6 xr4 tire on front with xc cush core in rear. Trying to find Ibis demo so I can ride the Ripley and Ripmo on the same day!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    You had trouble with your setup, not on a Ripley, so you came here to mischaracterize that entire thread on the McLeod? Aren't you the same guy who couldn't figure out how to get the air can off of a McLeod?
    I got the air can off just fine with a strap wrench.

I came here to set factorymatt straight, that the DPS is not garbage compared to the McLeod. I know you think that shock cures cancer, but it's extra harsh and does not work as well as a DPS. I let that thread go it's course in the suspension forum and I am generally very unhappy with the shock, I may go back to it at some time to do the king-can thing, but it's hard to justify spending more money on something that has worked so poorly. I could just leave it at that, but I'm not so narrow-minded that I believe that applies to every situation, like factorymatt. In other words, it's a gamble. It may work, it may not. Depends on what your bike needs, your riding and those assorted factors as far as tune. Fox can be revalved too, and yes, I have the "special" piston in the McLeod. The DPS is no magic shock either, but to say it's garbage compared to the DPS is ridiculous.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member

I came here to set factorymatt straight, that the DPS is not garbage compared to the McLeod...
    Right, after you ranted about an imaginary problem with the McLeod aircan design.

I don't know why you had so many problems with your McLeod, but you claimed that the McLeod thread was all about comparing it to the old CTD Evo which is complete fantasy, too. There are volumes of posts about success stories replacing various Fox CTD and DPS shocks, and RS Monarchs and others, throughout the 2500 posts in the McLeod thread and in other various forums. Enough, even, to convince you to try one it seems. The McLeod, or any shock, is not perfect, but it's unique combination of versatility, tunability and serviceability plus solid performance and reasonable pricing make it a popular if slightly under the radar choice for many people. Just because you can't or haven't bothered to sort yours out is no reason to post disinformation in a thread on a bike you don't even own. There are multiple people here who have already had success with it on the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Any chance you two girls can keep this thread on topic?
    Thanks
    2017 Surly Ogre

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    MRP Ribbon SL vs. Fox Performance Elite
    Any thoughts?
    MRP more user friendly, adjustable negative spring is nice. great folks to deal with - excellent support and CS.

the damper, although very good, is not tunable and you may find the high-speed compression circuit to be a bit harsh. low speed adjustability is good.
    Bumping these quotes from May because Iím seriously considering testing a Ribbon Air or Ribbon SL on the front end of my Ripley since my Fox 34 hasnít worked right from the start (I now suspect factory grease sitting in the negative air chamber). Anyways, has anyone in the interim ridden a Ripley with a Ribbon?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

I came here to set factorymatt straight, that the DPS is not garbage compared to the McLeod. I know you think that shock cures cancer, but it's extra harsh and does not work as well as a DPS. I let that thread go it's course in the suspension forum and I am generally very unhappy with the shock, I may go back to it at some time to do the king-can thing, but it's hard to justify spending more money on something that has worked so poorly. I could just leave it at that, but I'm not so narrow-minded that I believe that applies to every situation, like factorymatt. In other words, it's a gamble. It may work, it may not. Depends on what your bike needs, your riding and those assorted factors as far as tune. Fox can be revalved too, and yes, I have the "special" piston in the McLeod. The DPS is no magic shock either, but to say it's garbage compared to the DPS is ridiculous.
    what was your problem with mcleod really quick? i have about two weeks of riding now on it, replacing stock dps on ripley4 and i think it is way better, i dont see much of a advantage during climbing suppor twise, but it is much smoother off the top while climbing or riding slow, plus when the stuff gets rough and fast it does handle much better. when i started riding ripley4, i felt like this bike fels like it has more travel on descends than it really has (compared to my previous mayhem 130), but now that i have mcleod on it it feels i added even more travel. feels even more capable and more controlled.
    and i have not even started playing with tunes yet.

mtbr member
    Any chance you two girls can keep this thread on topic?
    Thanks
    I own a Ripley and I'm trying to keep misinformation out of the thread. What's your excuse?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    what was your problem with mcleod really quick? i have about two weeks of riding now on it, replacing stock dps on ripley4 and i think it is way better, i dont see much of a advantage during climbing suppor twise, but it is much smoother off the top while climbing or riding slow, plus when the stuff gets rough and fast it does handle much better. when i started riding ripley4, i felt like this bike fels like it has more travel on descends than it really has (compared to my previous mayhem 130), but now that i have mcleod on it it feels i added even more travel. feels even more capable and more controlled.
    and i have not even started playing with tunes yet.
    My bike uses a small air-can shock (DPS) and I thought given that, the "regular air-can" McLeod would be optimal. Mainly, I was looking for a backup shock with a decent lockout-like feature to use for races. I weigh about 170 and pumped it up to about 125 for an endurance race and got about 2/3rds of travel under the most extreme conditions, it was crazy harsh. Backing off the pressure to 85-90 at least gets it to the point where it's running normal sag and will get normal-travel, but it's extremely harsh doing so still. The rebound adjuster seems ineffective, it works, in that going two turns makes it molasses slow, but no setting actually makes the action controlled. This supposedly has the new piston according to the tech that sent it out after a hardware sizing issue. Supposedly, a king-can on the McLeod may help, but given that my bike is supposed to use a "small" air can, it seems that Manitou shouldn't really be selling these shocks with these small cans, as there seem to be very few situations where they are working successfully. That said, it's hard to pin this on an air-can issue, although that's what Dougal says "might help", as if you are getting normal travel usage, it's usually a damping issue, not an air spring issue. If I had to guess, over-damped in both compression and rebound high speed damping. It's incredibly frustrating to "tune" the shock trying to remember where the non-indexed adjuster is, having to turn it very slightly to try and effect slight changes. I used the shock before and after the 100 mile race trying to get it tuned, especially after, centering on air pressure that would at least work most of the time, but in the end the shock just doesn't work well with this bike without modification and I didn't want to buy something that I have to invest a bunch in hardware, cans, revalving ,etc. I wanted it to work pretty well out of the box, at least acceptable like the DPS.

It's great it worked for you, but buying a shock like this is kind of a shot-in-the-dark scenario. Hopefully your good experience continues. I got another stock DPS, this time one with a lockout, and sized-down the air chamber, and it works well. Note quite as good as my tuned DPS, but immensely better than the McLeod. It may even be that on this particular bike, the McLeod does work generally better, but the DPS is not "garbage" as Matt above indicates. That is just ridiculous and Velodonata knows this as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My bike uses a small air-can shock (DPS) and I thought given that, the "regular air-can" McLeod would be optimal. Mainly, I was looking for a backup shock with a decent lockout-like feature to use for races. I weigh about 170 and pumped it up to about 125 for an endurance race and got about 2/3rds of travel under the most extreme conditions, it was crazy harsh. Backing off the pressure to 85-90 at least gets it to the point where it's running normal sag and will get normal-travel, but it's extremely harsh doing so still. The rebound adjuster seems ineffective, it works, in that going two turns makes it molasses slow, but no setting actually makes the action controlled. This supposedly has the new piston according to the tech that sent it out after a hardware sizing issue. Supposedly, a king-can on the McLeod may help, but given that my bike is supposed to use a "small" air can, it seems that Manitou shouldn't really be selling these shocks with these small cans, as there seem to be very few situations where they are working successfully. That said, it's hard to pin this on an air-can issue, although that's what Dougal says "might help", as if you are getting normal travel usage, it's usually a damping issue, not an air spring issue. If I had to guess, over-damped in both compression and rebound high speed damping. It's incredibly frustrating to "tune" the shock trying to remember where the non-indexed adjuster is, having to turn it very slightly to try and effect slight changes. I used the shock before and after the 100 mile race trying to get it tuned, especially after, centering on air pressure that would at least work most of the time, but in the end the shock just doesn't work well with this bike without modification and I didn't want to buy something that I have to invest a bunch in hardware, cans, revalving ,etc. I wanted it to work pretty well out of the box, at least acceptable like the DPS.

It's great it worked for you, but buying a shock like this is kind of a shot-in-the-dark scenario. Hopefully your good experience continues. I got another stock DPS, this time one with a lockout, and sized-down the air chamber, and it works well. Note quite as good as my tuned DPS, but immensely better than the McLeod. It may even be that on this particular bike, the McLeod does work generally better, but the DPS is not "garbage" as Matt above indicates. That is just ridiculous and Velodonata knows this as well.
    Just for the reference, my riding weight is 185 and currently run 135 psi. This gives me the sag i want, roughly 25% and on the trails that have drops in 2-3 feet range this gets me within few mm of full travel. Just hammering through chunk will not get me to full travel which i think is fine. I do not use any extra grease or volume reducers in air chamber. Are you using it with ripley 4?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Had my Ripley for a bit now. Standard DPS and Factory 34 (set at 140). Love the bike. Feels great uphill, poppy, lands like a cat. The only thing I'd like to improve is a bit of a "harsh" feeling on repeated and bigger chop. Obviously there's only so much to expect from a 140/120 bike. Just thinking about a few options and wanted some opinions. Trying not to lose the light, poppy feel, but maybe make it a bit more plush on the bigger choppy stuff.

Fork options:
    1. Pike Ultimate or last year's RCT3 (42mm offset)
    2. DVO Sapphire D1 34 (44mm offset)

If I don't match up the stock 44mm offset would you go 42mm or 46mm?

Shock options:
    1. Avy tune the DPS
    2. DB Air IL
    3. McLeod
    4. RS Deluxe

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How are people finding the sizing on the Ripley? Currently riding a Large Yeti SB100 which fits me perfectly. Hoping a Large Ripley will do the same. Long legs / short torso kind of guy.

mtbr member
    ...It may even be that on this particular bike, the McLeod does work generally better, but the DPS is not "garbage" as Matt above indicates. That is just ridiculous and Velodonata knows this as well.
    When did I say any shock was garbage or even mention either FactoryMatt's opinion of the DPS or your retaliatory comment that the McLeod is garbage? You are both entitled to your opinions, my problem was that you made inaccurate claims about the experiences of McLeod users in an entirely different thread, here in a thread about a bike you don't own. At least FactoryMatt has extensive experience with Ibis bikes, which he shares here in the Ibis subforum. Now you are making huge posts about your experiences replying to people with Ripleys who then have to ask if you are even talking about using it on a Ripley.

mtbr member
    Tronner,

I am going through the same suspension component evaluation process for my Ripley v4 for the same reason (and I would like a similar outcome). As a starting point, I replaced the OEM 130 mm Fox Performance fork with a 140 mm DVO Sapphire D1 (44 mm offset). It was a very positive upgrade (smoother action and I really like the suppleness of the OTT feature) and I haven't experienced any downsides. Now that I have the front end sorted, I am evaluating upgrade options for the rear shock. I have read in these forums that DVO can modify the stroke of their 195 x 50 Topaz T3 but I have not confirmed that option will work. I am also considering your other options. For cost reasons, I am leaning towards the option of having Avalanche tune the OEM Factory DPS. Like you, I would love to hear recommendations from other riders regarding potential rear shock upgrades.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    Bumping these quotes from May because Iím seriously considering testing a Ribbon Air or Ribbon SL on the front end of my Ripley since my Fox 34 hasnít worked right from the start (I now suspect factory grease sitting in the negative air chamber). Anyways, has anyone in the interim ridden a Ripley with a Ribbon?
    so, i used to be a ribbon fan. it's a good fork, but has limitation in the damper that took me awhile to ascertain. it's well built (if not a bit tight), easy to service, and the company/customer service are fantastic. that said, it's still not a top tier fork as much as i'd like it to be. I know they're working on some friction improvements, but the harder you ride, the more apparent it becomes that the fork is a limiter.

as much as i really dislike SRAM, i have to say that you're better off with a Pike Ultimate than the Ribbon in most cases and/or if you're a damping snob. if you want a fork that does a pretty good job to set and forget, the ribbon is fine, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronner View Post
    Had my Ripley for a bit now. Standard DPS and Factory 34 (set at 140). Love the bike. Feels great uphill, poppy, lands like a cat. The only thing I'd like to improve is a bit of a "harsh" feeling on repeated and bigger chop. Obviously there's only so much to expect from a 140/120 bike. Just thinking about a few options and wanted some opinions. Trying not to lose the light, poppy feel, but maybe make it a bit more plush on the bigger choppy stuff.

Fork options:
    1. Pike Ultimate or last year's RCT3 (42mm offset)
    2. DVO Sapphire D1 34 (44mm offset)

If I don't match up the stock 44mm offset would you go 42mm or 46mm?

Shock options:
    1. Avy tune the DPS
    2. DB Air IL
    3. McLeod
    4. RS Deluxe

Thoughts?
    you really really want the new pike ultimate with the charger 2.1. can't speak to DVO.
    42mm if you ride open areas fast. 46 if you ride twisties. it won't matter too much though.

1- Vorsprung tuned Deluxe w/ Megneg & 4 neg bands
    2- Mcleod
    3-stock DPS until something else comes out (MRP? ohlins? DPX2 off a Pivot?)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    When did I say any shock was garbage or even mention either FactoryMatt's opinion of the DPS or your retaliatory comment that the McLeod is garbage? You are both entitled to your opinions, my problem was that you made inaccurate claims about the experiences of McLeod users in an entirely different thread, here in a thread about a bike you don't own. At least FactoryMatt has extensive experience with Ibis bikes, which he shares here in the Ibis subforum. Now you are making huge posts about your experiences replying to people with Ripleys who then have to ask if you are even talking about using it on a Ripley.
    yep, and he casually throws out the huge caveat that he's only tested one aircan (what's a "small aircan bike"?), with no further color on how he determined the "harshness" was due to the damping (and NOT the spring curve).

i grant my orig statement was a little hyperbolic, but shocks are supposed to provide damping, and the DPS really has very little, in either quality or quantity. it has a tunable negative air spring and a firm lockout (if that's your thing). that's about all it has going for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Tronner,

I am going through the same suspension component evaluation process for my Ripley v4 for the same reason (and I would like a similar outcome). As a starting point, I replaced the OEM 130 mm Fox Performance fork with a 140 mm DVO Sapphire D1 (44 mm offset). It was a very positive upgrade (smoother action and I really like the suppleness of the OTT feature) and I haven't experienced any downsides. Now that I have the front end sorted, I am evaluating upgrade options for the rear shock. I have read in these forums that DVO can modify the stroke of their 195 x 50 Topaz T3 but I have not confirmed that option will work. I am also considering your other options. For cost reasons, I am leaning towards the option of having Avalanche tune the OEM Factory DPS. Like you, I would love to hear recommendations from other riders regarding potential rear shock upgrades.
    the Ripley v4 uses a 190x45mm shock. Dvo has a 190x50 stock shock. The length is the same, with 5mm more travel, which is about 1/4Ē and shouldnít cause an issue even at bottom out unless your rear tire is overly tall. Iíd try it. I wish they had one for my v3 as my Dvo diamond fork is excellent.

that being said, I replaced the stock shock on my v3 with a dpx2 which was a substantial improvement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    According to DVO, Topaz 3 likely won't fit the small and medium sized with flipping and loss of the water bottle

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info---it is much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Itís my understanding that the Ripley will be getting the Traction Tune going forward. I have heard that we will be able to send our shock and fork to Fox for the lighter tune. Could this help smooth out the ott feel?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    pulling one or two of the negative chamber bands* that it comes with will help the OTT feel. there's not much damping there to begin with, so not much to change IMO. MAYBE reduced high-speed compression with the traction tune, but that won't help OTT either way.

*if you do pull bands, make sure and reduce the size of the positive chamber spacer.

Lightly salted
    Can anyone running a 175mm KS lev integra tell me if the dropper can fully insert into the Ripley seat tube? trying to see if I can get a 175mm lev integer to work of if I should go with a 150mm dropper.
    Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Can anyone running a 175mm KS lev integra tell me if the dropper can fully insert into the Ripley seat tube? trying to see if I can get a 175mm lev integer to work of if I should go with a 150mm dropper.
    Thanks for any help.
    ibis has the ks dropper on itís dropper size chart it should have all the numbers you need for the frame size, they show mim and max bb to rails measurement

mtbr member
    Well I got impatient and bought a trail429. Iím sure the Ripley will be the funner bike but I couldnít pass up the deal and spec was better than the nx1 build I was going to get. Not having a bike til November would of killed me.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Tronner,

That's great news because I just ordered a Sapphire! Curious what you weigh and what settings you're running on it?

I'm also leaning toward doing an Avy tune on the DPS. I like its weight and overall feel - if he can make it 10-20% better I think I'll be very happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It's a good idea if you have Avalanche tune your shock also tune the fork at the same time. Shock and the fork need to work together, to maximize suspension performance. Otherwise you may have the front-end and back-end reacting differently

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    so, i used to be a ribbon fan. it's a good fork, but has limitation in the damper that took me awhile to ascertain. it's well built (if not a bit tight), easy to service, and the company/customer service are fantastic. that said, it's still not a top tier fork as much as i'd like it to be. I know they're working on some friction improvements, but the harder you ride, the more apparent it becomes that the fork is a limiter.

as much as i really dislike SRAM, i have to say that you're better off with a Pike Ultimate than the Ribbon in most cases and/or if you're a damping snob. if you want a fork that does a pretty good job to set and forget, the ribbon is fine, though.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm too far down the rabbit hole to come back up to ground now. Pretty set on a Ribbon Coil and hopefully it will come with the Chocolux bits. Will pull the Fox 34 off the Ripley when the Ribbon shows up, and send it into Vorsprung for Luftkappe+Fractive so that I can run a comparison test. Winner will stay on the Ripley and loser will get put onto the hardtail or sold to fund a duplicate. This is turning out to be an expensive year of biking for me, ha.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    My '16 Mach 429 is still a favorite and I go back and forth on that and the Ripley V4. They are very, very close, with my Ripley having top end components, lighter weight, and stiffer frame. I have heard the trail 429 is a blast, and even better than the mach 429! Will be demoing them in Bentonville so will see!

Well I got impatient and bought a trail429. Iím sure the Ripley will be the funner bike but I couldnít pass up the deal and spec was better than the nx1 build I was going to get. Not having a bike til November would of killed me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Thanks for the feedback. ...
    let us know how it goes!

mtbr member
    Hola Tronner,

I weigh about 175 to 180 lbs without gear. I am running less air pressure in the Sapphire than my 140 mm Diamond (I use 120 psi in the Diamond)--right now I am running about 105 psi. I am not sure why there is such a large difference in air pressure but I am working through the issue. I will pass along my other settings when I get home tonight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When I didn't get along with the V4 I called Pivot because I thought the Trail would be a good compromise on Geo even though I didn't like superboost. Didn't end buying simply because of the bullshit with the cranks- Won't sell a frame without the super rare cranks that no one but they can get.

I guess they don't know about cranks that aren't rare and widely available with replaceable spindles that a lot of frame only buyers already have. Guess Knolly buyers are just smarter than Pivot buyers
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Bike fit---XL
    A few months ago I posted after riding a L at the factory and relayed how the flat terrain feel/cramped cockpit/and hand pressure all had me cross this bike off.

Today I stopped at a local LBS and they had an XL which I rode around a paved trail and it felt way more comfortable with the extra inch of cockpit. So I need to go demo but the factory demo is closed till 11/1 so need to wait.

In the meantime I also met a guy with a L TB4 this morning and I rode it just a bit---but instantly it was obvious the cockpit was way short like the L Ripley. SO next week I will demo an XL TB4 at the SC factory----be interesting how I feel on the XL on trails I know and the geo is pretty close to the Ripley.

The other bike considered is the Pivot T429----it's geo in a L is very close for dimensions to the XL Ibis/SC

I find this all surprising as the previous generation SC HT etc in an XL was simply too big--I never considered the new geo would work with the near 500 reach but maybe it is just the extra cockpit length helping.

I am 6 foot with a 34.4 inseam-------so very long legged and also fairly long arms.

Optimistic the Ripley may still be the bike once again

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    i'd be surprised if an XL ripley doesn't work for you at 6ft with that long of an inseam.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hola Tronner,

I weigh about 175 to 180 lbs without gear. I am running less air pressure in the Sapphire than my 140 mm Diamond (I use 120 psi in the Diamond)--right now I am running about 105 psi. I am not sure why there is such a large difference in air pressure but I am working through the issue. I will pass along my other settings when I get home tonight.
    Awesome - thank you JimmyC. Looks like I've got a 34 Sapphire coming in black. For those who are interested in that fork I went to DVO's site, and they have a few of them left in blue in their Clearance area for $600. I scored a black one for even less, but it appears they don't have those in there any more. I'm having them send it with a couple of volume spacers and a QR axle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hola Tronner,

Also, FYI I just looked at the DVO setup manual for their forks and at 185lbs it recommends 95psi for plush and 105psi firm for the Sapphire 34, so you might be just fine.

http://tech.dvosuspension.com/wp-con...GUIDE_fork.pdf

mtbr member
    Excellent info--thx Tronner!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronner View Post
    Awesome - thank you JimmyC. Looks like I've got a 34 Sapphire coming in black. For those who are interested in that fork I went to DVO's site, and they have a few of them left in blue in their Clearance area for $600. I scored a black one for even less, but it appears they don't have those in there any more. I'm having them send it with a couple of volume spacers and a QR axle.
    You got mine. After I ordered and paid for it I got an email saying someone else bought it first. Congrats.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by manitunc View Post
    You got mine. After I ordered and paid for it I got an email saying someone else bought it first. Congrats.
    Showed 3 available when I was ordering mine. I had them create the invoice the day before yesterday and paid yesterday morning. There was still one available yesterday, then I noticed this morning now there are GIANT blue ones available, but no more black.

mtbr member
    looking for chain guard but not sure what to get as there are several mounting options available. which one will fit? all i need is a guide at the top of the ring, no bashguard needed. i have 32 oval, not sure if that could be a problem. what is everyone using?

thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2019 Ibis Ripley V4

Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    looking for chain guard but not sure what to get as there are several mounting options available. which one will fit? all i need is a guide at the top of the ring, no bashguard needed. i have 32 oval, not sure if that could be a problem. what is everyone using?

thanks
    Using the Absolute Black one with their 32T oval ring. Works well

https://absoluteblack.cc/oval-chain-guide-iscg05/

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane_CA View Post
    Using the Absolute Black one with their 32T oval ring. Works well

https://absoluteblack.cc/oval-chain-guide-iscg05/

Thanks for the suggestion? What does it screw into though? I dont remember seeing any screw holes around bb area on the frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    there's an iscg05 adapter that mounts on the lobes around the BB shell. it should have come with your frame. if not, you caN order from ibis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion? What does it screw into though? I dont remember seeing any screw holes around bb area on the frame.
    Ibis makes an ISCG5 adapter for the bike. Should of come with the frame. If not, hereís the link in the Ibis Store

http://store.ibiscycles.com/mobile/i...ount-p264.aspx

- Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Ibis makes an ISCG5 adapter for the bike. Should of come with the frame. If not, hereís the link in the Ibis Store

ISCG 05 Mount ‚Äď Ibis Cycles Online Store

ok thanks all, thats why i was confused about i guess, it didnt come with the frame. the picture shown in the link is incorrect i assume though? it would not fit on the lobes with just the circular inside like this.

also, how will this affect my chainline? i have rf bb and next cranks, there is 2.5mm spacer on drive side if i remember correctly. will the adapter replace the spacer?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    If you buy a full bike the ISCG mount might not be provided, but with a frame only it should be.
    It's super simple to install and replaces a spacer under the BB cup. It should not affect your chainline in any way.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    ok thanks all, thats why i was confused about i guess, it didnt come with the frame. the picture shown in the link is incorrect i assume though? it would not fit on the lobes with just the circular inside like this.

also, how will this affect my chainline? i have rf bb and next cranks, there is 2.5mm spacer on drive side if i remember correctly. will the adapter replace the spacer?
    the adapter counts officially as a 2.5mm adapter. IIRC, mine only measured about 2.0mm. so be aware of that. chalk it up to Vietnamese tolerances i guess...

Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011

Did you get an answer?

Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    Wondering the same thing!
    Tidewater, VA is home - Eagle Rock, VA is base camp.

IG: @monstermikeoutdoors

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    If you buy a full bike the ISCG mount might not be provided, but with a frame only it should be.
    I bought frame only and did not come with one, had to order separately from Ibis.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dev_null View Post
    I bought frame only and did not come with one, had to order separately from Ibis.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
    Should have talked to your shop. As far as I know it should be included, mine didn't have one in the box- called the shop and they shipped one out free of charge.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Should have talked to your shop. As far as I know it should be included, mine didn't have one in the box- called the shop and they shipped one out free of charge.
    Kudos to your LBS. I ordered a frame and did not get one. I emailed "Chuck" Ibis and he responded they do not ship with the frames or bikes. One would figure if you drop this much coin, it would be thrown in. Oh well I love my Ripley so no complaints (maybe a little)

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'll look through my parts bin tomorrow, I may have an extra I can send to whoever needs it.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Both my Ripmos have come with the ISCG mount.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Anyone send their Fox shock/fork in to be re-valved for a lightweight rider? My son is 95 lbs or so and the lightest settings per the manual are not quite working for him.

Does Ibis offer a tune, or should they be sent direct to Fox?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    2019 Ibis Ripley V4-33b1d470-42a6-4b91-b7fd-8b970a2891d0.jpg

From Ibisí site...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What the pros / cons of the traction tune

mtbr member
    Iíve also been wondering this, does it mean the suspension is going to bob because one thing I love about my Ripley is the fact I run the shock open all of the time?...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Seems to say on the Ripley FAQs if you are over 160lb you should perhaps go for it but then says the traction tune automatically comes on the small and medium bikes where you would have thought rider weight would be lighter?

What the pros / cons of the traction tune
    Pro
    Gives a more usable range of adjustment so that lighter or less aggressive riders can find a tune without running out of clicks.
    Con
    None really. If you are over 250lb and huck to flat them you might run out of adjustments, but it has been my experience that this is an improvement with no down sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Iíve also been wondering this, does it mean the suspension is going to bob because one thing I love about my Ripley is the fact I run the shock open all of the time?...
    The suspension will be able to be set where it is now on almost all bikes with no change in feel if you like a very supported feel.

The upside is that most riders, including a heavy aggressive rider like myself on a Ripmo run HSC full open front and rear. There will be plenty of LSC range to keep you in the perfect sweet spot.

The suspension kinematics make for an extremely supportive rear even wide open. This anti-squat combined without the need to band-aid in a bunch of LSC makes for a great climbing bike that hovers up technical climbs and powers out of chunky corners.

Better suspension design that negate the initial ramp of the air spring and offer more mechanical mid stroke support don't need as much damping to counter pedal induced forces.

I prefer to run the largest negative volume possible and would remove all spacers from the negative side of the shock unless you are very light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey Alex, Are you still riding your Tallboy3? I'm considering a Ripley V4 to replace mine. I got my TB3 pretty well dialed with some advice from you on the forum about CC DB IL shock. Also added 130 air spring and Luftkappe, so it's pretty sweet, but that Ripley is very nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2MTB View Post
    On a quest to find my next full suspension mountain bike. Been taking my time (since I bought a new hardtail last year). Demoed 18 bikes so far (I know - overkill). And my favorite ... the new Ripley.

[...]

If you are coming from a XC bike (hard or soft), the Ripley will feel awesome - yet give you so much more confidence and capacity. Love this bike.
    Just wanted to thank you for this post! It's very timely and very helpful. I'm in exactly the same boat - the same exact background, same exact accident last year (except I have 13 screws in my collar bone after shattering it into 7 pieces), same height (so always between sizes), and also looking for a FS bike after 5+ years on XC hardtail. Want something more capable and stable, but don't want to give up too much speed and efficiency of my hardtail on our mostly flowy trails with roots, short punchy climbs and the same short (and occasionally steep) descents. No local demo events/bikes available, and 90% of local bike shops only carry Treks, Specialized and Giant, so I have to rely on YouTube and experience of others to help me chose my next bike (and more importantly the size).

While I really enjoyed by Tallboy 3, I sold it a year ago and got a Ripmo. Used the exact same build kit other than the fork and rear shock. Weight was within 1lb too.

Ripley build will be lighter, climb better, descend better and feel plusher. Frame stiffness will be slightly better too. I would also continue to recommend the Luftkappe.

Climbing Ripley>Tallboy 3>Rimpo=Tallboy 4.
    DH Ripmo>Tallboy 4>Ripley>Tallboy 3.

DW hovers of technical stuff, so If your tech climbing then the Ripmo would be better than the tallboy 3.

STA on the Ripley/Ripmo is a little to steep IMO and I have my seat moved all the way back to get a better balance on the bike. Also try to get a fit with a 50mm stem. Any shorter in the large or XL sizes will lead to a loss of front end grip.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    While I really enjoyed by Tallboy 3, I sold it a year ago and got a Ripmo. Used the exact same build kit other than the fork and rear shock. Weight was within 1lb too.

Ripley build will be lighter, climb better, descend better and feel plusher. Frame stiffness will be slightly better too. I would also continue to recommend the Luftkappe.

Climbing Ripley>Tallboy 3>Rimpo=Tallboy 4.
    DH Ripmo>Tallboy 4>Ripley>Tallboy 3.

DW hovers of technical stuff, so If your tech climbing then the Ripmo would be better than the tallboy 3.

STA on the Ripley/Ripmo is a little to steep IMO and I have my seat moved all the way back to get a better balance on the bike. Also try to get a fit with a 50mm stem. Any shorter in the large or XL sizes will lead to a loss of front end grip.
    Good info thanks. I'd probably go with Pike Ultimate 140 for the Ripley. I demo'd both Ripley and TB4, although the TB was in Sedona and Ripley was in So. Cal. so completely different trails and difficult to compare directly, although TB felt more plush but that could come down to it having a Pike fork perhaps? TB4 felt quite similar to Hightower V2, although again rode them on completely different trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Has anybody actually ridden a Ripley with the traction tune? I know it is just shipping now in the small and medium frames.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by C&L 1911 View Post
    Just wanted to thank you for this post! It's very timely and very helpful. I'm in exactly the same boat - the same exact background, same exact accident last year (except I have 13 screws in my collar bone after shattering it into 7 pieces), same height (so always between sizes), and also looking for a FS bike after 5+ years on XC hardtail. Want something more capable and stable, but don't want to give up too much speed and efficiency of my hardtail on our mostly flowy trails with roots, short punchy climbs and the same short (and occasionally steep) descents. No local demo events/bikes available, and 90% of local bike shops only carry Treks, Specialized and Giant, so I have to rely on YouTube and experience of others to help me chose my next bike (and more importantly the size).
    C&L_1911, glad the post was helpful.

I regret that I have to say: "Welcome to the club ... the OTBBCSMPAS club ... the Over The Bars Broken Collarbone Surgery Metal Plate And Screws Club. I hope no one else joins our club ... but fear our membership will expand.

Based on your riding desciption, I HIGHLY recommend the Ripley in size XL. It is a blast. Built to be a XC rider's Trail bike. Feels so much better than the enduro style bike with the floppy front wheel and heavy feel (for my trails and riding style). The Ripley blast up the climbs ... almost as efficent as a hardtail (DW Link is real). And steeper seat tube angle makes a noticeable difference.

For sizing, I'm 6'2" with long torso (maybe -2 ape index). Love stretching out on the XL. Very STABLE feeling ... yet fun and playful.

That said I do recommend you demo before buy (you'll appreciate how cool the Ripley really is). Or even demo similar bikes. If you absoutely can not, then go for a Ripley. Worst case, turn around a sell it. Hot bike right now. You will get a strong price. Best case, you get a dream bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What tye combos are people running on their Ripley. I was running the old Bonty XR3 back and XR4 front. Just killed the X3 and not liking the look of the new XR3. Doesnt look as capable for more varied conditions. Looks like a dry weather tyre. Any combo suggestions that keeps things light but capable.

mtbr member
    Why is it taking so long to get here?
    (I ordered an hour or so ago).

But seriously... I donít expect it to arrive until full on
    Ski season.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    BmanInTheD, hi. You own both the Ripmo and the Ripley v4. Why? How do they compare? Is the separation between them big enough for you to ride each for different reasons? Or is there a lot of crossover? (They seem so similar on paper.) If you could only keep one, which? Why? Thanks for your insight. - Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    What tye combos are people running on their Ripley. I was running the old Bonty XR3 back and XR4 front. Just killed the X3 and not liking the look of the new XR3. Doesnt look as capable for more varied conditions. Looks like a dry weather tyre. Any combo suggestions that keeps things light but capable.
    honestly, XR5 feels faster rolling to me than the XR4. give them a try if you're needing something for wetter weather. i'm running XR3 rear in dry stuff and it's fine for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2MTB View Post
    BmanInTheD, hi. You own both the Ripmo and the Ripley v4. Why? How do they compare? Is the separation between them big enough for you to ride each for different reasons? Or is there a lot of crossover? (They seem so similar on paper.) If you could only keep one, which? Why? Thanks for your insight. - Mike
    I own both because, well, I can't control myself. They are very similar in the way they ride, geo, etc. The Ripmo I bought first, for traveling to places like Sedona, Grand Junction, etc, where there's a lot of fast, rocky, ledgy riding. It pedals so damn well that you're not really penalized for the travel in smoother terrain. Then the Ripley came out. Loved my Rip LS, thought the new one would be even better. And it is, except on flatter, smoother trails. So I got it to replace my LS as my local bike. But with the "new" geo, it's not as good IMO for local stuff. But having sold my LS in the meantime, I got a Mach 4 SL for local Dallas stuff and the Ripley will be for rougher local stuff and traveling to smoother places. Had the Ripley in Park City, UT for a month this past summer and it was perfect.

If I could just keep one, it would definitely be the Ripley. It's the most diverse of all of them; you can pretty much ride it anywhere outside of a bike park and have fun. And it wouldn't be miserable in a bike park.

BTW, like your videos on YT!
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I own both because, well, I can't control myself. They are very similar in the way they ride, geo, etc. The Ripmo I bought first, for traveling to places like Sedona, Grand Junction, etc, where there's a lot of fast, rocky, ledgy riding. It pedals so damn well that you're not really penalized for the travel in smoother terrain. Then the Ripley came out. Loved my Rip LS, thought the new one would be even better. And it is, except on flatter, smoother trails. So I got it to replace my LS as my local bike. But with the "new" geo, it's not as good IMO for local stuff. But having sold my LS in the meantime, I got a Mach 4 SL for local Dallas stuff and the Ripley will be for rougher local stuff and traveling to smoother places. Had the Ripley in Park City, UT for a month this past summer and it was perfect.

If I could just keep one, it would definitely be the Ripley. It's the most diverse of all of them; you can pretty much ride it anywhere outside of a bike park and have fun. And it wouldn't be miserable in a bike park.

BmanInTheD, cool. Thanks for the excellent explaination. That Mach 4 SL is a great XC climber. And more stable on downhill than I expected.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Do you ride same size in both Ripley and Ripmo. I want a Ripley but only demo I can find in my area is a Ripmo. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    Do you ride same size in both Ripley and Ripmo. I want a Ripley but only demo I can find in my area is a Ripmo. Thanks
    Yep, both Medium. I'm 5'8" and run 50mm stems on both. Riding a Small Mach 4sl with 75mm stem.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Has anybody actually ridden a Ripley with the traction tune? I know it is just shipping now in the small and medium frames.

I'm curious how to know if you have traction tune? Is the shock labelled as such? Just put a deposit down on an XL and should be getting it in a week or so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
    I'm curious how to know if you have traction tune? Is the shock labelled as such? Just put a deposit down on an XL and should be getting it in a week or so.
    See: https://www.ibiscycles.com/news/traction-tune

quote: "The Rip*ley has been ship*ping with cus*tom-valved light-tune shocks on the small and medi*ums for the past few weeks. These shocks are iden*ti*fi*able by the ​ďlight tuneĒ decal on the shock canister.'

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hmm, so not clear if traction tune is not for XL sized bikes or there is a shortage of stock and they are prioritizing the smaller frames. Anyone know?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Now that the Rip V4 has been out for a while, what do folks think about it as an endurance or long distance bike? Would you want to ride this thing in a 50mi race?

mtbr member
    It's excellent for that, and I bought it exactly for that. (you'll find my rather light build somewhere in this thread)

One of the races I'll complete on this bike goes for 120km/3500m.

The steep STA makes for a very comfortable climbing position,
    the longer travel compared to a normal XC/MA bike makes descents more fun and/or more relaxing.

I enjoy it a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone recently take delivery of small or med that comes with the new traction tune ?
    Would be great to get your feedback and thoughts

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Could somone give me a fork stearer length on their Large Ripley. Im buying a second hand set of forks and what to make sure they will fit my new frame which is on order with some room for playing around with spacers. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Now that the Rip V4 has been out for a while, what do folks think about it as an endurance or long distance bike? Would you want to ride this thing in a 50mi race?
    I'd go with lighter wheels/tires then the stock 2.6's and I then I think it would do great unless you're trying to win the race. I tried mine with the 120 SC fork but BB was just too low. I think you can use a headset spacer to alleviate that but I chose to just run a 34 at 130 and take the couple ounce penalty.

I've done multiple 30-40 mile rides and don't really have anything negative to say other than BB is still a little low.

mtbr member
    Could somone give me a fork stearer length on their Large Ripley. Im buying a second hand set of forks and what to make sure they will fit my new frame which is on order with some room for playing around with spacers. Cheers.
    Mines around 180mm, I've got about 20mm of spacers in there now.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Mines around 180mm, I've got about 20mm of spacers in there now.
    ^same (~180mm/7in and four spacers)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Did 60 miles today on my V4, 9700 feet. Took me a while to get used to the STA. Mine weighs 25.3 pounds with dropper and pedals, size large.
    My only hesitation for an endurance race bike is the water bottle situation. Can't fit the b-rad two bottle adapter because of the downtube curvature. And the one in-frame bottle, a large, is difficult to put back in because of interference from my shoes; getting bottle out isn't an issue, putting back in with a sideloader, I've had it knocked to the trail. Still working on the timing of it all, ha. FWIW, I despise packs and would rather put a bottle in jersey pocket. YMMV.
    I didn't buy it for a 100 mile racebike, but it pedals well, the STA is helpful on nasty steep climbs; don't know if it'd be my first choice in the racebike category, but unless you're at the super pointy end, the V4 isn't the reason I'd win or lose.

mtbr member
    Second bottle, that's easy: I'll put one on top of the top tube then, using a Fidlock Uni Base.
    Looks a bit stupid, but works very well and the bottle is actually very comfortable to grab from there.

Did that for enduro-style races already:

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ^same (~180mm/7in and four spacers)
    Cheers folks. Just to double check this stearer length is on a large frame

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Yup - large frame. And to be precise, this is with four spacers under the stem and then another one on top of a Thompson X4 stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco83333 View Post
    Why is it taking so long to get here?
    (I ordered an hour or so ago).

But seriously... I donít expect it to arrive until full on
    Ski season.
    In all seriousness, what is Ibis' timeframes looking like for orders lately? I ordered my Ripley back in the beginning of August, and was told by my LBS that it was looking like December 10th would be the delivery date. Is there any reason to expect that date to slip?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yup - large frame. And to be precise, this is with four spacers under the stem and then another one on top of a Thompson X4 stem.
    What width are the spacers?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
    Did 60 miles today on my V4, 9700 feet. Took me a while to get used to the STA. Mine weighs 25.3 pounds with dropper and pedals, size large.
    My only hesitation for an endurance race bike is the water bottle situation. Can't fit the b-rad two bottle adapter because of the downtube curvature. And the one in-frame bottle, a large, is difficult to put back in because of interference from my shoes; getting bottle out isn't an issue, putting back in with a sideloader, I've had it knocked to the trail. Still working on the timing of it all, ha. FWIW, I despise packs and would rather put a bottle in jersey pocket. YMMV.
    I didn't buy it for a 100 mile racebike, but it pedals well, the STA is helpful on nasty steep climbs; don't know if it'd be my first choice in the racebike category, but unless you're at the super pointy end, the V4 isn't the reason I'd win or lose.
    Would a Camelback "Chase" or USWE minimalist type vest work? Just throwing it out there as I'm looking at them aswell.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Yes, Large.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone tried one of these shocks is available in a 190x45
    CANE CREEK DBAIR IL REAR SHOCK

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes. Been switching between an Avy modified DPS and CC DBAir IL for a few months. The bike rides great with the CC DBAir IL. DM me if you have specific questions.

- Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwntyOneTwlv View Post
    In all seriousness, what is Ibis' timeframes looking like for orders lately? I ordered my Ripley back in the beginning of August, and was told by my LBS that it was looking like December 10th would be the delivery date. Is there any reason to expect that date to slip?
    What color did you order?
    I was told that black frames were shipping quicker (by a couple of
    Months) than the blue. Maybe someone else here can confirm that info?
    (Iím awaiting a blue)

mtbr member
    What color did you order?
    I was told that black frames were shipping quicker (by a couple of
    Months) than the blue. Maybe someone else here can confirm that info?
    (Iím awaiting a blue)
    I ordered a blue as well. The wait is excruciating!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    It seems like it not only depends on the color but the size. For XL, it will be around mid November. Or as bad as 2/20 for a small blue. Most seem to be around December. This is according to the Ibis b2b site.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes. Been switching between an Avy modified DPS and CC DBAir IL for a few months. The bike rides great with the CC DBAir IL. DM me if you have specific questions.

What differences did you notice over the stock DPS with the Cane Creek?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ordered a large blue the end of September and was told it would be in by thanksgiving. It came in yesterday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    I ordered a large blue the end of September and was told it would be in by thanksgiving. It came in yesterday.
    So it came in like, two weeks? Wow, you must have gotten really lucky!

I wonder if it would be perceived as weird or annoying if I gave my LBS a call and asked for an update on my order.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would, youíre just inquiring about your purchase.
    Ride it, donít write about it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I just ordered a black XL XT build and the ship date from Ibis to my LBS is November 15th.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    I would, youíre just inquiring about your purchase.
    What if I call, like... every 15 minutes 😂

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have found that Ibis shipping delays are often caused by a back order on build parts. My Ripmo was delayed due to a lack of a available Lev droppers so I had Ibis ship it without one and put one on at my LBS. It's always worth a call to see if a change in your build might speed up delivery significantly

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    From my experience and I could be completely wrong- they don't have full control of the color and sizes coming from the factory.
    When I ordered a Large Red Mojo3. I was told in next container, the container would come in- no red large frames. Next container- same story, but that container had an unspoken for large black so I took it.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have one for sale that I purchased from another member on this site. He didn't use it but for a couple of rides. I didn't use it at all since I decided to get a different bike.
    $300 shipped in the US.

Image links:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/17851005/

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/17851010/

Reach out to me by PM through this site or the "pink" one of you're interested.
    Last edited by ryknown; 3 Days Ago at 11:07 AM. Reason: added quote

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    For those running the new Pike Ultimate fork with the 42mm offset how is it working out? I'm pretty unhappy with the Fox Factory 34. I'm 220 pounds it is is harsh and just always feels overwhelmed.

mtbr member
    So I called my LBS today to inquire about my order. The owner told me itís a funny coincidence I had called today, because he just checked yesterday on the statuses of my bike and the bike of another customer who had placed their order a month before me, in July. Their Ripley was originally expected to ship this month, but now has been delayed to December. Mine is also expected to ship in December, which was what I was originally told.

Iím happy that the ship date hasnít been delayed, but I have to admit that I had gotten my hopes up a bit that maybe Iíd have my bike sooner rather than later.

I ordered a Medium blue, for what itís worth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by scot45 View Post
    For those running the new Pike Ultimate fork with the 42mm offset how is it working out? I'm pretty unhappy with the Fox Factory 34. I'm 220 pounds it is is harsh and just always feels overwhelmed.
    I don't have experience with the Pike, but I am 220 as well and have finally gotten the F34 feeling pretty good.

4 spacers
    wide open compression
    3 clicks from fully dampened rebound
    85-90 psi

Mid stroke is still not great, but I use 85-90% of the travel and the lower pressure feels much better than the recommended 105psi.

I actually bought a DVO Sapphire D1 34 140mm 44mm to replace it with, but it is still sitting on my shelf for now after finally dialing it in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ryknown View Post
    I have one for sale that I purchased from another member on this site. He didn't use it but for a couple of rides. I didn't use it at all since I decided to get a different bike.
    $300 shipped in the US.

Image links:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/17851005/

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/17851010/

Reach out to me by PM through this site or the "pink" one of you're interested.
    This sold quickly!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Regarding the order times:
    It really depends on who you know and what you order.
    My story. ..
    Demoted the bike locally, then ordered online from jensonusa.com on July 1
    Delivery got pushed back to November!
    Called the LBS where I demoted it and while I was on the phone with them the owner got his Ibis rep on the other line. I was able to order my specific build right then (blue, size L, etc) BUT at this time (early August) the shimano SLX set had just become avavailable and the wait time for that was months (again November) so I ordered SRAM group set and had the bike in less than 2 weeks!
    Riding non stop ever since.
    Maybe its different if just order the frame but this is a small company and who you Know matters.
    My local bike shop is Olympic Bikes in Tahoe City CA and John there knows someone!
    If you want a complete build call them. I also saw the new Ripmo AF there before I even read about it. ...
    Thanks John and Olympic Bikes. And John's rep too!

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scot45 View Post
    This was the cause of a lot of the harshness on my Fox Factory 34:

2019 Ibis Ripley V4-382fc845-ae1f-42a6-ae71-2df6e857c415.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What's the difference between the dps performance and factory shocks. Is the factory worth the extra ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2019 Ibis Ripley V4

From the Fox website - ďThe Factory Series shocks feature an additional 3 clicks of low-speed compression adjustability in the Open mode.Ē

The performance shock has the Open, Med, Firm settings whereas in Open Mode on the Factory you can choose to be in 1, 2, or 3 for the LSC settings.

Wasnít worth it for me. Iíd ridden both on demo bikes and didnít notice a material difference. I also wanted the black performance shock look to match a Pike Ultimate and knew that Iíd eventually send it to Avy or Vorsprung to get re-tuned if I wanted more out of it.

What's the difference between the dps performance and factory shocks. Is the factory worth the extra ?

- Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Looks. No.

Longer answer: the factory obviously has the Kashima, which feels no different IMO (I've had several of each), and has 3 settings in "Open". I can't feel much diff there and leave it in most open when in open, anyway. If you want to "match" your fork or the Ibis logo on the head tube, ok, but otherwise it's not worth it IMO.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwntyOneTwlv View Post
    Iím happy that the ship date hasnít been delayed, but I have to admit that I had gotten my hopes up a bit that maybe Iíd have my bike sooner rather than later.
    Expected shipping dates look better (unless you ordered a LG Blue).

I'm going to stop looking now and patiently wait for a surprise call from my LBS to come pick it up. Hopefully will happen before the Ripley V5 is announced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis Ripley V4-screen-shot-2019-10-11-6.58.44-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Expected shipping dates look better (unless you ordered a LG Blue).

I'm going to stop looking now and patiently wait for a surprise call from my LBS to come pick it up. Hopefully will happen before the Ripley V5 is announced.
    I sold my V3 and figured that I would be waiting a few months until I would be able to replace it with a V4. On a whim, I called my LBS to check on lead times and to see if they could possibly have something coming in soon and was told that they had the large black that I was looking for hanging on the wall. He just had to make sure that it wasnít already allocated to someone and it wasnít. I was in the area so I ran over and grabbed the frame and a fork. While I was there I saw that they had at least 6 other frames hanging on the wall. Not sure what sizes they were.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by socaltrailrider View Post
    I sold my V3 and figured that I would be waiting a few months until I would be able to replace it with a V4. On a whim, I called my LBS to check on lead times and to see if they could possibly have something coming in soon and was told that they had the large black that I was looking for hanging on the wall. He just had to make sure that it wasnít already allocated to someone and it wasnít. I was in the area so I ran over and grabbed the frame and a fork. While I was there I saw that they had at least 6 other frames hanging on the wall. Not sure what sizes they were.
    Given your username I think I know what shop you are talking about. That large black has been on the wall for a few weeks, I was surprised. Ordered an XL from them and they should be getting it next week. Great shop. Congrats on the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Swapped my Factory 34 for a DVO Sapphire 34. First ride at National Trail on South Mountain in Phoenix - very rocky / harsh downhill in spots. The Sapphire felt VERY good. The OTT was really smooth in small bump compliance and felt great climbing (set a few PR's climbing up to the trailhead and from the trailhead to Mormon Widowmaker). Downhill was much more composed and seemed to handle successive hits better - felt buttery smooth. So far it seems like a definite upgrade! I found a black one in the Clearance section of the DVO site for a great price as well. Did make one really bad line choice and ate it pretty hard, but it was definitely my fault not the fork, and it was probably giving me too much confidence LOL. Next up is an Avy tune on the DPS and I think this bike will be so dialed!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    What day were you there? I rode SoMo on Saturday and it was ridiculously packed. Ended up riding Beverly to the fire road, then up Mormon and National up to the Waterfall. Turned around to head down and National was so packed, I ended up back down most of Mormon and rode Devastator (32nd St.) down the mountain.

I'm out there quite a bit; black Ripmo, tall skinny with sleeve tattoos. Holler if you see me; I was sorely tempted by the new V4 but didn't think it was quite enough bike and went with another Ripmo.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011