Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Last edited by alexbn921; 10-02-2018 at 08:13 AM.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Dropshot Champ!
    As someone who'd been shopping for a highball, this hits the spot.

mtbr member
    The geo is dated for a trail bike. Long chainstays, short reach, slack STA. It's like a 2014 bike with modern looks.

mtbr member
    If it were SS-able, I would have sold a few bikes and bought this!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    If it were SS-able, I would have sold a few bikes and bought this!
    I was thinking that too. But also thinking a chain tensioner like a Surley Singulator could be the ticket to converting to SS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    The geo is dated for a trail bike. Long chainstays, short reach, slack STA. It's like a 2014 bike with modern looks.
    I thinks it's great we have at least one company isn't just throwing long and slack at every model they make. Right Tool for the job and all that.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gravity View Post
    I was thinking that too. But also thinking a chain tensioner like a Surley Singulator could be the ticket to converting to SS.
    I can't go back to a tensioner! LOL.

Man, half the price of a Pivot Les!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Are hardtails usually set up similar to full suspension? Ive never shopped for one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I thinks it's great we have at least one company isn't just throwing long and slack at every model they make. Right Tool for the job and all that.
    The XL frame isn't even average length. I'd need an XXXL size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The XL frame isn't even average length. I'd need an XXXL size.
    I ride larges and the large still fits me fine. Define Average
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    I ride larges and the large still fits me fine. Define Average
    466.5mm

mtbr member
    Put my order in today. Looks like a week out still.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Wonder how it'll compare with a Rocky Mountain Vertex.. been thinking about picking up a Vertex until this came along.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    466.5mm
    You pulled that from where?
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I don't know if I'd say it has long chainstays. SC Chameleon is 430 and this is 439. Reach at 422 might be a shorter than a number of bikes out there, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I find the Esker Hayduke more interesting.

mtbr member
    I would too if I needed a steel hardtail. But since I already have plenty of those...the carbon Ibis is more interesting in this context.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    I don't know if I'd say it has long chainstays. SC Chameleon is 430 and this is 439. Reach at 422 might be a shorter than a number of bikes out there, though.
    The stays aren't crazy long but 439mm is what I want on an enduro bike. For a trail hardtail I want 425mm or less.

Formerly of Kent
    The stays aren't crazy long but 439mm is what I want on an enduro bike. For a trail hardtail I want 425mm or less.
    Why do you keep calling this a trail bike?

This is about as XC as it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

Are you looking at the 120 mm option with 29x2.6 tires? Sorry, it just isn't "as XC as it gets" in that version, which is the cooler option of the two.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Stays are long and it will need a 60-90 stem. not modern geo, but not bad either.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Stays are long and it will need a 60-90 stem. not modern geo, but not bad either.
    It looks like a bike designed for going fast both up and down. Given the reason it came into being, this should not shock anyone.

Death from Below.

mtbr member

Definitely not as XC as it gets. From Ibis "The DV9 is our lightweight carbon do-anything, go-anywhere hardtail."

Formerly of Kent
    Definitely not as XC as it gets. From Ibis "The DV9 is our lightweight carbon do-anything, go-anywhere hardtail."
    And?

The greatest gifts arent bought, theyre built. Thats the story behind our carbon hardtail, the DV9. Inspired by his high school XC racing daughter, Lili Heim, Ibis Partner and CEO Hans Heim set out to build a bike that could own race day, devour singletrack, explore the backcountry, and it had be affordable enough that she could pay for it with a summer job.

Thats what an XC bike does.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    It's defiantly not going to be a do-anything go anywhere bike.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    It's defiantly not going to be a do-anything go anywhere bike.
    True. There is no such thing.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb View Post
    Put my order in today. Looks like a week out still.
    A week? good luck on that.

When my ordered Ripmo showed up at my LBS they forgot to ship the wheels. Ibis emergency overnight shipped them and it took 8 days...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My favourite part about it is probably the inspiration itself...
    As someone who coaches young people in mtb I really like the idea of the accessible boutique nature of this bike...a wonderful step up for people getting into the mid range market and a great gateway bike for the rest of the Ibis range down the line...
    Very clever indeed

mtbr member

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail

Quote Originally Posted by danoiz View Post
    I find the Esker Hayduke more interesting.
    Love my Hayduke! V2 looks even better!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    My favourite part about it is probably the inspiration itself...
    As someone who coaches young people in mtb I really like the idea of the accessible boutique nature of this bike...a wonderful step up for people getting into the mid range market and a great gateway bike for the rest of the Ibis range down the line...
    Very clever indeed
    Is this the bike they need? Or do they all want full suspension.

Keep on Rockin...
    Nice bike. I'd buy it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I tell my students to learn on a hardtail if they like - its much easier to teach body position & principles of traction with a hardtail - and then its an easy move into the appropriate full suspension.

mtbr member
    And?
    And I regret wasting my time.

mtbr member
    I ordered the NX build. Looking forward to riding this machine.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I love my Tranny, and as far as the geometry goes, they just tweaked the little things that I would probably have wanted tweaked in the DV9.

My only sadness is that they took away the easy single speedness of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by exodus1500 View Post
    ... My only sadness is that they took away the easy single speedness of it.
    What would be the solution to running this SS? Singulator type chain tensioner? Eccentric BB like a few of the Niners have probably wouldn't fit.

I'd probably prefer this bike in the NX build with gears but it's nice having versatility for SS. Just don't know exactly the options with this frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just found out about this for comparing bike geometries. The Ibis DV9 was recently uploaded

https://geometrygeeks.bike/

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ibis absolutely nailed it when it came to price point. Its inline with what a lot of companies have their aluminum hardtails prices at. Well done bringing out an affordable carbon race bike!

I think the geometry is right in line for XCO racing. However, I think downcountry might be more marketing. I think more something like the Kona Honzo or even a GG Pedalhead when I think of downcountry and an all day trail bike. This fits more in line with what Scott has for their World Cup XC bikes, nothing cutting edge here. Thats not to take away from what it is: a really versatile race bike. Fortunately, modern XC bikes are way more enjoyable for trail riding than endo machines of the past. The ability to go from 2.6 tires for comfort and fun for training, or even really rough courses in lieu of suspension, and then throw on some 2.2 race tires for going fast is pretty dang awesome. Hell, in a place like Santa Cruz where I dont remember seeing a rock on the trail, the 2.2s could probably stay on all the time.

May not be the bike Im looking for these days, but for those looking for a versatile race bike, it seems pretty cool.

Keep on Rockin...
    Something else Ibis nailed...

Seat tube diameter that fits most proper dropper posts.

Been looking at carbon HT's for years and most brands have foolishly stuck with a 27.2 sizing.

mtbr member
    Even assuming you need a steeper STA on a full suspension bike, you certainly do not need it on a hard tail.

The only reason we see slightly steeper STA is because on long travel 29 bikes (i.e. enduro 29 bikes) it can become difficult to keep the front down on a uphill. A steeper STA allows to move the seat a bit more forward and might help in that regard. Of course that depends also on your body geometry. There are plenty people who might end up needing a step back post on a steeper STA frame because the seat is positioned too forward ...

But the point is: on a hard tail there is none of that front wheel meandering. There is no need for a steeper STA. All it would do it to put you in an uncomfortable position when riding anywhere else but on the steepest of uphills ...

By the way: great looking bike, it makes me regret that my body cannot really take a hard tail on a trail any longer!
    Last edited by Davide; 10-02-2018 at 01:23 PM.

I should be out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat View Post
    Ibis absolutely nailed it when it came to price point. Its inline with what a lot of companies have their aluminum hardtails prices at. Well done bringing out an affordable carbon race bike!

I think the geometry is right in line for XCO racing. However, I think downcountry might be more marketing. I think more something like the Kona Honzo or even a GG Pedalhead when I think of downcountry and an all day trail bike. This fits more in line with what Scott has for their World Cup XC bikes, nothing cutting edge here. Thats not to take away from what it is: a really versatile race bike. Fortunately, modern XC bikes are way more enjoyable for trail riding than endo machines of the past. The ability to go from 2.6 tires for comfort and fun for training, or even really rough courses in lieu of suspension, and then throw on some 2.2 race tires for going fast is pretty dang awesome. Hell, in a place like Santa Cruz where I dont remember seeing a rock on the trail, the 2.2s could probably stay on all the time.

May not be the bike Im looking for these days, but for those looking for a versatile race bike, it seems pretty cool.

Yeah, when I saw the pricing I was hoping the geo would be that of chameleon, honzo or vanquish. I'm after more of an AM hardtail that can do XC racing instead of an XC racer that can do some trail.

Love the price point though. I'll bet they sell out quick. Hopefully this will pressure others into competing at this price level.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I applaud Ibis for the $999 price tag for the frame. Its about time that we see some price competition in this market.

But I'm disappointed with the marginal geometry changes . . . reach is still too short. I didn't expect anything ultra-modern like a 500mm reach in XL and 77deg seat angle, but at least something sort of middle-of-the-road by contemporary standards so I wouldn't need a 110mm stem on an XL as if its 2009.

And I'm disappointed that they dropped the slot machine / Tranny feature (although admittedly that's trade-off to the $999 price). I was hoping Ibis would have a Tranny update that could match the versatility my Timberjack, but given the DV9 announcement I think we can safely assume that there won't be another Tranny.

Natural body armor
    Just pulled the trigger on the L frame.
    Been waiting for a Tranny successor, and while a bit bummed about lack of single-speedability (not impossible tho) everything else is spot on.
    I actually think the geo is fine and striking the right balance.
    And 2.6 tires, seat tube diameter, threaded BB... not to mention black/orange combo.

One week lead time, stay tuned!

ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Just ordered my large frame in black. Going to do a GX eagle build w/XT brakes, 34 Stepcast fork, DT Swiss XMC1200 wheelset. Should be fun and fast.

mtbr member
    The frames are at IBIS. QC checks and then out to me. At least that is what I was told by LBS.

Do you know a different story?

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'm 5.9 and typically go with Med frames but I think dv9 Large will be fine with me. The geo of Large is what most other "modern" bikes push in Med nowadays. I believe 50mm stem and the saddle forward all the way will compensate the longer ETT. 19" seat tube is oddly tall but I can actually fit a seatpost with a low stack height (OneUp reduced to some 125mm-130mm), if it can be inserted all the way down.

Does anybody feel the same way? Or am I missing the point of this frame as an XC race machine? I think Med will be good with 60mm stem and a saddle in the center/back position but the reach seems to be too short. I also expect Large will be overall stiffer / less compliant which is a minus.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Nice! Yeah, I don't care about carbon. V2 numbers are legit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KVV View Post
    I'm 5.9 and typically go with Med frames but I think dv9 Large will be fine with me. The geo of Large is what most other "modern" bikes push in Med nowadays. I believe 50mm stem and the saddle forward all the way will compensate the longer ETT. 19" seat tube is oddly tall but I can actually fit a seatpost with a low stack height (OneUp reduced to some 125mm-130mm), if it can be inserted all the way down.

Does anybody feel the same way? Or am I missing the point of this frame as an XC race machine? I think Med will be good with 60mm stem and a saddle in the center/back position but the reach seems to be too short. I also expect Large will be overall stiffer / less compliant which is a minus.
    If I extrapolate the size of my tranny to the DV9 I think L would be ok. I'm 5'7 and have a medium Tranny. 70mm stem and seat positioned slightly back on the post.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Some of you crying about singlespeed should do some actual research.

trickstuff exzentriker
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had to cancel my order. Really liked the frame, but I paid attention to all the numbers but STL.

I will have to say IBIS went backwards here. It's set up for an internal dropper but 19'' is just too long on a large. Unfortunately being carbon this isn't going to change. Really not understanding this. They fixed it on the Ripley

Canfield made this mistake on the Riot, but being AL they made a change on the second production run.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What is your inseam?
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What is your inseam?
    Sorry, forgot to add that. 31"

Nov 2015
    I had to cancel my order. Really liked the frame, but I paid attention to all the numbers but STL.

I will have to say IBIS went backwards here. It's set up for an internal dropper but 19'' is just too long on a large. Unfortunately being carbon this isn't going to change. Really not understanding this. They fixed it on the Ripley

Canfield made this mistake on the Riot, but being AL they made a change on the second production run.
    How long of dropper do you need on an xc race bike? Comparing it to a canfield riot shows you have the wrong idea about this bike. Its not made for 60 stems and 170 droppers. Not all 2.6 tires are super knobby, and most xc racers need a 100mm dropper and 100mm maybe 120 fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    How long of dropper do you need on an xc race bike? Comparing it to a canfield riot shows you have the wrong idea about this bike. Its not made for 60 stems and 170 droppers. Not all 2.6 tires are super knobby, and most xc racers need a 100mm dropper and 100mm maybe 120 fork.
    I don't have the wrong idea the point just went over your head. Canfield insisted that a 19'' seat tube was fine on a large bike. Well after customers got their bikes, it was interesting that the next batch had shorter seat tubes. So the point you seemed to have missed- easy quick change on AL frame, not so much on a carbon frame.

At 5'11'' and 32'' inseam, I'd have to use one of my old 100mm command posts with a shim. None of the 125mm droppers I have would fit the frame. Again I get the bike, but if you're saying race it then rail it and offering it with a 120mm fork, I don't think expecting it to fit a 125mm dropper is out of line.
    OG Ripley v2

Dropshot Champ!
    I don't have the wrong idea the point just went over your head. Canfield insisted that a 19'' seat tube was fine on a large bike. Well after customers got their bikes, it was interesting that the next batch had shorter seat tubes. So the point you seemed to have missed- easy quick change on AL frame, not so much on a carbon frame.

At 5'11'' and 32'' inseam, I'd have to use one of my old 100mm command posts with a shim. None of the 125mm droppers I have would fit the frame. Again I get the bike, but if you're saying race it then rail it and offering it with a 120mm fork, I don't think expecting it to fit a 125mm dropper is out of line.
    I'm about your same measurements, and I don't mean to question you, but it looks like a 125 ks lev and a reverb *should* both fit. What's your rail to bb height?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am 58 on a medium tranny and I am using the 150 fox transfer, something doesnt seem right.

Nov 2015
    [QUOTE=TwoTone;13837843]I don't have the wrong idea the point just went over your head. Canfield insisted that a 19'' seat tube was fine on a large bike. Well after customers got their bikes, it was interesting that the next batch had shorter seat tubes. So the point you seemed to have missed- easy quick change on AL frame, not so much on a carbon frame.

At 5'11'' and 32'' inseam, I'd have to use one of my old 100mm command posts with a shim. None of the 125mm droppers I have would fit the frame. Again I get the bike, but if you're saying race it then rail it and offering it with a 120mm fork, I don't think expecting it to fit a 125mm dropper is out of line.[/]
    It fits a 125, watch the video on youtube. Also you can order a 125 when purchasing it, and they say it can fit 150. Something isnt adding up. You shouldnt buy an xc bike based on dropper length fitting anyways. Thats a tiny percent of the people who would buy something like this. A carbon honzo or transition sentinel would be better choice. They are around 465 reach in large, take a 50 stem, and use a 170 dropper, short chainstays, slack hta, blah blah.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'm 5.9 with an average inseam. My other bike has 460mm (18") seat tube. I have 125mm post with 60mm stack height (9.8 it is, and Lev is the same) and it's raised above the seat tube by some 5-7mm.

60mm stack 125mm dropper will be ~15mm too high for me on 482mm L dv9.
    I recall 9.8 can be reduced internally.
    Now OneUp is 37mm stack height and easily reduced by a plastic shim. I can get away with ~130mm travel with it.
    Crankbrothers Highline seems to be 47mm stack height. Could be 2mm high but close
    I'd definitely go with OneUp since it allows infinite tuning between 100 and 150.
    Also Revive I recall will be just right. Also any 100mm post, but I want 125.

I made some measurements on the frame images. The one posted all around on the marketing page seems to be L, and the one with the CEO on the picture is M (unless it's a preproduction sample). You can see how much they extended the seat tube above the top tube on L, compared to M. It looks like L is just a scratched M with a taller seat tube. This explains why standover numbers are the same.

I'd say L does not look ugly at all. I wish it was 16.5 "- 17" or at max 18", but I can fit 125mm post anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Some of you crying about singlespeed should do some actual research.

trickstuff exzentriker
    I've seen that thing. Can you confirm if it's compatible with the Ibis? Bottom bracket is SRAM GXP XR (NX build) or SRAM DUB BSA (GX build)

mtbr member
    I've seen that thing. Can you confirm if it's compatible with the Ibis? Bottom bracket is SRAM GXP XR (NX build) or SRAM DUB BSA (GX build)
    LOL what makes you think this dude can confirm anything?

Someone would have to get the frame and verify that there's enough clearance between the driveside chainstay and the BB shell to run one of these. Looks like there is a pretty big bump there that might get in the way of the oversized EBB driveside cup.

Edit: Would also suck to have to use a half-link as well.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It seems to be some clearance with the 2.6 tire in the pictures at the Ibis site, but can someone please measure the distanse between the seatstays and chainstays approximately 350 mm from axle?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Phil Wood Philcentric would work, no?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Perhaps if you had more knowledge, you would understand why IBIS selected the geo.

Thank you, IBIS, for taking my advice & knocking this one out of the park. I may have to pick up an XL just to show my support.

Smart smart frame...and I have to say, a bit unexpected!!
    **Merry Christmas**

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by klasse View Post
    Perhaps if you had more knowledge, you would understand why IBIS selected the geo.

Thank you, IBIS, for taking my advice & knocking this one out of the park. I may have to pick up an XL just to show my support.

Not questioning you or being a dick (I already ordered my frame and showed my support ) but I've been hearing so many people bitch about seat tube length and lack of reach, that I'd love to hear your perspective.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Not questioning you or being a dick (I already ordered my frame and showed my support ) but I've been hearing so many people bitch about seat tube length and lack of reach, that I'd love to hear your perspective.
    Don't feed the troll.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by klasse View Post

Dipshit, reading compression. Never questioned the Geo, actually like it. I don't like the new long. slack and steep STA bikes.

If you had more knowledge, you'd know the Seat tube at 19'' or 18'' doesn't change the geo.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hm, I must have missed something. Not trying to cause drama.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hm, I must have missed something. Not trying to cause drama.
    Klasse is an Ibis troll. Constantly making stupid posts on Ibis threads.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Ah, gotcha. I didn't realize people cared enough nor had the time in their lives to troll bicycle manufacturer forums.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Best to shoot a message to Ibis or give them a call. I would also encourage you to do a test ride if possible.

Dipshit, reading compression. Never questioned the Geo, actually like it. I don't like the new long. slack and steep STA bikes.
    Kind of begs the question: Well, why did you order it in the 1st place?
    Also there's no need to engage in name calling.
    **Merry Christmas**

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

When did the Ripley get 'fixed'? What was the change? Im going from a v2 to a v3 xl so Im legitimately curious.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    When did the Ripley get 'fixed'? What was the change? Im going from a v2 to a v3 xl so Im legitimately curious.
    V1 had a 19'' seat tube and the V2 went down to a 18.5''.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Anybody get their DV9 yet? I ordered my frame October 1st. Still not here.

I got the itis...growing impatient.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The XT build with a 100mm fork looks amazing...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Is this spec'd with a 51mm offset fork?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Is this spec'd with a 51mm offset fork?
    I just asked Ibis that question yesterday - reply was they use the 51mm offset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You can also deduce the offset is 51mm by back-computing from the trail spec.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Teaser

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post

By the way: great looking bike, it makes me regret that my body cannot really take a hard tail on a trail any longer!
    I'm really trying hard to convince myself that my old ass body can hold up to a hardtail again just so I can build one of these up. ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Short reach but remember it was designed for his daughter. Works for short torso riders.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Build in progress2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-56100307071__2ac61ff5-8e43-42e9-8fbd-d56e31e99ee8.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am using a mix of parts: xtr 985 brakes. Xx1 eagle shifter derailleur and chain. Thomson post (for now).
    Enve bar and stem.
    Wheels off an intense primer (mavic pro light maybe).
    Fork is off a 2019 blur: 110 mm travel with remote lockout.
    And a rockshox twistlok with the Fox fork.

Only issue I have had (so far) was the paint went over the hole for the hanger bolt. I had to cut the paint out with an exacto knife.

Should have it finished tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    I am using a mix of parts: xtr 985 brakes. Xx1 eagle shifter derailleur and chain. Thomson post (for now).
    Enve bar and stem.
    Wheels off an intense primer (mavic pro light maybe).
    Fork is off a 2019 blur: 110 mm travel with remote lockout.
    And a rockshox twistlok with the Fox fork.

Only issue I have had (so far) was the paint went over the hole for the hanger bolt. I had to cut the paint out with an exacto knife.

Should have it finished tomorrow.

Can you please measure the distanse between the seatstays and chainstays approximately 350 mm from axle?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    310 to 315 from chain stay to seat stay 350 mm from rear axle.

What is this measurement for?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks, but it was a really bad formulated question from me...

What i ment to ask about is the tire clearance between seat- and chainstays, measured about 350 mm from the axle.

Sorry 

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Its at least 3. I will put a caliper on it when I get home.

I have a 2.1 tire in the rear. I have about 5/8 clearance in the drive side and 1/2 on the non drive side and the tire is about 2 1/4 wide.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Almost done. Need to cut the stem and fix a rattle in the wheel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Looking good, you are way ahead of me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    Its at least 3. I will put a caliper on it when I get home.

I have a 2.1 tire in the rear. I have about 5/8 clearance in the drive side and 1/2 on the non drive side and the tire is about 2 1/4 wide.

Thank you

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Builds look awesome. Assuming both are medium?

Could you measure the maximum seatpost insertion, please?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Has anyone reveived a large or x-large frame yet and could share some pictures?

Wanna ride bikes?
    300mm BB height, seems low for a bike like this. I'm really considering this frame for an XC race bike which would be run with a rigid fork for ~50% of the time. (483mm A-C)

I measured my wheel at 370mm from the ground to the axle which means the BB drop is roughly 65-75mm depending on the tire. That seems too low for a frame with moderate chainstays and a short reach. Does that sound right?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Builds look awesome. Assuming both are medium?

Could you measure the maximum seatpost insertion, please?
    237 MM. it hits the upper screw for the seatpost water bottle mount.

I have a medium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Short reach but remember it was designed for his daughter. Works for short torso riders.
    I have a short torso 30-31 inseam but I have very long arms. 7'2" wing span. So do you think this bike would be a good fit. My current bike I have a Diamondback Mason Trail. Size large. I had to get a shorter stem 50mm, and 40riser handle bars to make it more comfortable. But I am thinking about buying the frame and switching my stuff over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does anyone have any ride reports on this sweet looking bike?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    This guy seems to like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=horapjjR46w
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Dude...

I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from. I'm 5'11", and almost always ride a large. Pivot is one bike that tends to run large and I've had both a LES and now a 429SL and ride a medium on both. Although I will say I would fit the large fine. The DV9 in Large has a reach of 16.7 with 120 fork, while the Pivot LES is 16.66. The DV9 large seems spot on to me. This bike is definitely a XC bike, and should be compared as such. Head tube angle is about 2 degrees slacker though, which definitely helps when plowing to keep the fork from flexing. I would say the numbers are about perfect.

Why would a large be stiffer? If anything I would think a smaller frame would be stiffer. I mean, if I have two identical sticks, but one is longer, which one will be easier for me to bend? Either way, carbon frames are stiff. If you want more compliance, get a 32mm sanction fork, and some nice flexy aluminum wheels. Problem solved.

At 5'9", I would think the large would be plenty long enough, as you stated.

Dude...
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    300mm BB height, seems low for a bike like this. I'm really considering this frame for an XC race bike which would be run with a rigid fork for ~50% of the time. (483mm A-C)

I measured my wheel at 370mm from the ground to the axle which means the BB drop is roughly 65-75mm depending on the tire. That seems too low for a frame with moderate chainstays and a short reach. Does that sound right?
    With 2.6" tires, it's actually 320mm. Compare that to a Ripley LS, with 2.6" tires that has 330mm. But that is before sag, which would make it much lower. I think 300 is probably just fine considering no shock sag. It's literally 1/4" lower than the Pivot LES. The bike probably rails turns!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Although the Reach seems short it doesn't take into account the seattube angle, which is slack. The ETT is on par for an XC bike (size XL @ 658mm).

Meaning: a Medium still fits like a Medium, a Large fits like a Large.

(For example a contrasting bike I'm familiar with, the Kona Honzo, has a reach of 510mm. Sounds impossibly huge on paper but in real life it fits like a normal XL. People should not size down on this bike because it looks different on paper. Don't single out any one number on a geometry chart and expect to know how a bike will fit. There's more to it.)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

first ride

Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    I rode it for the first time yesterday - in a cyclocross race no less. Now, the race was basically a mtb XC race, with two barriers, so it was a great way to test out the XC capabilities.

It's a great bike. How can I say that? After three warm up laps, I raced it in the old and slow category at a local cyclocross event. Not once did I think about the bike. It worked flawlessly.

It's been years since I rode a hardtail, maybe even decades. The instant acceleration made me feel like I was going faster. I certainly was going faster uphill. The bike was stiff. None of this stiff but compliant bs that you read about in magazines. Just simply stiff. If you want comfort, buy a full suspension bike. If you want to go fast, buy this bike.

I had zero issues with the handling of this bike. It was really well balanced. On my Intense Primer I have a 50mm stem. I rode with a 90mm stem on the DV9.

A Fox 110 mm travel fork with remote lockout (from a 2019 SC Blur) performs the duties up front. It worked amazingly well.

All in all seems like a perfectly good, lightweight hardtail. Built up with a carbon wheels, lightweight parts, it is 22.6 pounds. The only change I would consider is to add a dropper. Ok, who am I kidding, I am definitely adding a dropper.

Aside from paint in the hole where the derailleur binder bolt sits, there were no issues with the build. I did add an extra layer of tape to the chain stay because when the chain hits the stay it is really loud.

Highly recommend this frame.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast