Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    I rode it for the first time yesterday - in a cyclocross race no less. Now, the race was basically a mtb XC race, with two barriers, so it was a great way to test out the XC capabilities.

It's a great bike. How can I say that? After three warm up laps, I raced it in the old and slow category at a local cyclocross event. Not once did I think about the bike. It worked flawlessly.

It's been years since I rode a hardtail, maybe even decades. The instant acceleration made me feel like I was going faster. I certainly was going faster uphill. The bike was stiff. None of this stiff but compliant bs that you read about in magazines. Just simply stiff. If you want comfort, buy a full suspension bike. If you want to go fast, buy this bike.

I had zero issues with the handling of this bike. It was really well balanced. On my Intense Primer I have a 50mm stem. I rode with a 90mm stem on the DV9.

A Fox 110 mm travel fork with remote lockout (from a 2019 SC Blur) performs the duties up front. It worked amazingly well.

All in all seems like a perfectly good, lightweight hardtail. Built up with a carbon wheels, lightweight parts, it is 22.6 pounds. The only change I would consider is to add a dropper. Ok, who am I kidding, I am definitely adding a dropper.

Aside from paint in the hole where the derailleur binder bolt sits, there were no issues with the build. I did add an extra layer of tape to the chain stay because when the chain hits the stay it is really loud.

Highly recommend this frame.
    Awesome! Thanks for the ride report sounds like just what I am looking for its kind of what I always wished my old Tranny 29er should've been. Longer Reach and front center without being too long like my Honzo, also room for 2.6 tires is awesome and a slacker headtube angle than the Tranny. Glad you like your bike just ordered a Black/Orange frame cant wait.

Wanna ride bikes?
    On my Intense Primer I have a 50mm stem. I rode with a 90mm stem on the DV9.
    What size frame?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Size medium.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Size medium.
    I'm a little under 5' 10" and thinking the large with a 50mm stem (maybe 60mm) looks like a good fit for me - I prefer a bigger bike. How tall are you?

Thanks for all the info so far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    I'm a little under 5' 10" and thinking the large with a 50mm stem (maybe 60mm) looks like a good fit for me - I prefer a bigger bike. How tall are you?

Thanks for all the info so far.
    I am 5í8Ē. 6 4 with the Afro.

I think a large would be fine. This has a ton of stand over. The rails of my seat are about a foot over the seatpost clamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anyone know what the bb drop is on this frame with a 100mm fork? Looks awesome.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdownthehill View Post
    not exactly, some rough calculations put it at 58-60mm
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdownthehill View Post
    Got it right from the horses mouth today...

"60mm with 100 fork, 53mm with 120"
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Here's my build...

Just picked it up today. Doing something a little different with this one. Going for 27.5+ build as 2.8's fit with room to spare. I can't wait until the build is done.

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_1316.jpg

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_1315.jpg

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_1317.jpg

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_1318.jpg

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_1319.jpg

More pics to come.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by phattruth View Post
    Here's my build...

Just picked it up today. Doing something a little different with this one. Going for 27.5+ build as 2.8's fit with room to spare. I can't wait until the build is done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1316.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	1221119

Name:	IMG_1315.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	1221120

Name:	IMG_1317.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	1221121

Name:	IMG_1318.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	1221122

Name:	IMG_1319.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	1221123

More pics to come.
    Awesome, even more stoked to get my frame today should be at my door when I get home.

mtbr member
    Here's my build...

Just picked it up today. Doing something a little different with this one. Going for 27.5+ build as 2.8's fit with room to spare..
    Was wondering about that, keep us posted!

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay View Post
    Was wondering about that, keep us posted!
    Wondering, too. The already low BB will be too low even with 27.5x3.0 tire and way too low with 2.8. If you try to compensate this with a significantly more fork travel, head angle will be probably be still acceptable (65-ish is almost normal nowadays, and a lot of sag will compensate it), but the seat angle will be somewhere at 70 that is too slack. I can imagine a reversed offset seatpost which actually offsets the saddle towards the handlebars, and probably going with the larger frame size to keep the reach. Crazy things.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KVV View Post
    Wondering, too. The already low BB will be too low even with 27.5x3.0 tire and way too low with 2.8. If you try to compensate this with a significantly more fork travel, head angle will be probably be still acceptable (65-ish is almost normal nowadays, and a lot of sag will compensate it), but the seat angle will be somewhere at 70 that is too slack. I can imagine a reversed offset seatpost which actually offsets the saddle towards the handlebars, and probably going with the larger frame size to keep the reach. Crazy things.
    According to the specs the 100mm has a bb height of 300 mm, and the 120 is 320mm.

if 27.5 lowers the bike 0.75"/19mm and he runs a 120 fork, that puts it back to 299mm, plus what ever the extra volume tires add(4-5mm?). Or am I missing something?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by exodus1500 View Post
    According to the specs the 100mm has a bb height of 300 mm, and the 120 is 320mm.

if 27.5 lowers the bike 0.75"/19mm and he runs a 120 fork, that puts it back to 299mm, plus what ever the extra volume tires add(4-5mm?). Or am I missing something?
    The geometry chart notes that the 120mm geo numbers are also with 2.6" tires, not the 2.x tires used for the 100mm geo chart.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Good catch. I was think that it was a lot of BB change just for changing the fork out. And thinking rationally about it, adding 20mm up front wouldn't raise a BB 20. Lol.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Good catch. I was think that it was a lot of BB change just for changing the fork out. And thinking rationally about it, adding 20mm up front wouldn't raise a BB 20. Lol.
    It's a lot unclear about the geometry. I can guess they measured 300mm with something like 2.2 tires and low a/c fork (F32), and 320mm with NN 2.6 (said to be ~751mm diameter) and higher a/c fork (like F34 or maybe even pike that is taller). Still the 20mm delta does not fit exactly.

Anyways, I can be wrong. Internets say that NN 2.6 is like 751mm external and a typical 27.5x2.8 is like ~716mm external. So the height difference is only ~17mm. Hopefully it'll work fine. Consider there will be also more sag in 2.8 tire.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    It is safe to assume that BB will rise by a hair more than 1/3 of that, like by 7mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It's a lot unclear about the geometry.
    Its pretty clear to me. Ibis notes the c-to-a of 503.7mm for the 100mm fork case and 530mm for the 120mm fork case. They also note 2.6 tires for 120mm and we can reasonably assume 2.25 tires for 100mm since that is what they spec for builds.

Bottom bracket will rise by CS/WB * c-to-a increase. So for case of medium frame, 439/1126 * 26.3 = 10.26mm. If you take tire size at face value, tire "stack" increases by 2.6-2.25 * 25.4 = 8.9mm.

By this math, BB rises 19.16mm which is reasonably close to the 300-->320mm spec'd in their geo charts.

mtbr member
    I suck at math.....can you please plug a 140 fork and some 650b plus tires into that formula and see what it actually does to the BB height? lol
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I suck at math.....can you please plug a 140 fork and some 650b plus tires into that formula and see what it actually does to the BB height? lol
    Thanks!
    I asked Ibis about running a 140 mm fork and they said the headtube will be over stressed.

mtbr member
    Easier to ask forgiveness afterward......

Wanna ride bikes?
    Easier to ask forgiveness afterward......
    I'm confused, if you want a 140 hardtail why don't you buy a frame that's designed as a 140 hardtail? There's lots of them out there.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I'm an Ibis snob....
    Care to list the carbon hardtails that take 2.6 or Plus tires, are Boost, take a 140 fork, and under $1K?
    I ride an EPO now. Looking for similar but updated..... Transition Throttle maybe...

Wanna ride bikes?
    What can I tell ya, spend more money or buy an aluminum frame.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just got my frame and was wondering if anyone that has already built theirs noticed how crooked the derailleur hanger looks? I haven't started the build yet still waiting on parts and such, but can anyone confirm or deny this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    Just got my frame and was wondering if anyone that has already built theirs noticed how crooked the derailleur hanger looks? I haven't started the build yet still waiting on parts and such, but can anyone confirm or deny this?
    Always check RD hangers even if new.
    OG Ripley v2

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    All hangers need to be checked on every new bike.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    The 2.8's look great and the clearance works. The bottom bracket comes in close where the 100mm fork XC setup is at 12". I'm running Maxxis Recons. Now if I can beet this cold, I'll actually get a ride in.

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_1321.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1321.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	1221502

mtbr member

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail

The 2.8's look great and the clearance works. The bottom bracket comes in close where the 100mm fork XC setup is at 12". I'm running Maxxis Recons. Now if I can beet this cold, I'll actually get a ride in.

Name:	IMG_1321.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	1221502
    That looks very low 11 7/8Ē. I had a Scott 710 Plus hardtail (ran 27.5x2.8 tires) with a 12.4 BB height and got some pedal strikes. I ran 13f/18r psi I weight 165lbs. Do not underestimate the amount of tire sag and compression you get with 2.8 tires.

If I was going to build a DV9, I would run 942 (35mm) with 29x2.6 Forekaster tire. I like the 27.5x2.6 better the the 27.5x 2.8ís which I ran for 3 years. My Mojo3 is on them now.
    Last edited by RSAmerica; 10-22-2018 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    So the stock BB height with 29er XC tires and 100 fork is 300mm or 11.8.
    So its the same with 650b?
    Good news if so!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My new dv9, I sold my Santa Cruz tallboy frame and used the fork and wheels, and handlebar the rest I had to buy. Just waiting on a dropper and it should be complete... also going to put bigger tires on rode it to work this morning as a shake down ride and its a rocket. Hope it will give me some motivation to get back into xc this next season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-2-dv9.jpg  

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-3-dv9.jpg  

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-1-dv9-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Finally got all the parts in for my build. Will start assembling today after work.

Fox 34SC 120mm, XX1 Eagle, DT Swiss XMC1200 wheelset, KS Lev Ci carbon dropper, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_4532.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Finally got all the parts in for my build. Will start assembling today after work.

Fox 34SC 120mm, XX1 Eagle, DT Swiss XMC1200 wheelset, KS Lev Ci carbon dropper, etc.
    That's going to be a sick build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My new dv9, I sold my Santa Cruz tallboy frame and used the fork and wheels, and handlebar the rest I had to buy. Just waiting on a dropper and it should be complete... also going to put bigger tires on rode it to work this morning as a shake down ride and its a rocket. Hope it will give me some motivation to get back into xc this next season.
    That be some serious seatpost.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    I have long legs for my height I guess. I am 5'10" this is a large frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Also the set back thompson gives it a longer look, its what I had I really need a zero set back seatpost. That should be in next week. Sorry to freak you out LOL

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Also the set back thompson gives it a longer look, its what I had I really need a zero set back seatpost. That should be in next week. Sorry to freak you out LOL
    No freak out, I wish the I had the leverage long femurs bring to cycling. I'm short (67") with short legs (29" inseam on a good day). I realize there is a seriously sloping top tube also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have long legs for my height I guess. I am 5'10" this is a large frame.
    Do you mind sharing your saddle height measurement and cycling inseam? Thx.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    33" inseam, not sure on saddle height I would have to measure it when I get back home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    33" inseam, not sure on saddle height I would have to measure it when I get back home.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Ok, here it is with the 27.5+ tires mounted on Revin carbon wheels. The frames an XL and the dropper is a 125mm KS Lev. I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and it fits great. I sat on a large at the LBC and it felt a bit small. Typical Ibis. I rode it around the hood and the BB does feel a touch low. I think a 130 fork would fix it, but I may just put the wagon wheels back on it.

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_1328.jpg

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_1329.jpg

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_1330.jpg

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_1331.jpg

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_1332.jpg

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Ok, here it is with the 27.5+ tires mounted on Revin carbon wheels. The frames an XL and the dropper is a 125mm KS Lev. I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and it fits great. I sat on a large at the LBC and it felt a bit small. Typical Ibis. I rode it around the hood and the BB does feel a touch low. I think a 130 fork would fix it, but I may just put the wagon wheels back on it.
    Will the frame fit 27.5x3.0?

mtbr member
    Will the frame fit 27.5x3.0?
    It might depending upon the tire, but I wouldn't recommend it. It would be too close of a fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Mine is already an extremely tight fit with an 29x2.6 Bontrager XR2 out back. I can't even install/remove my rear wheel without deflating the tire first. Will definitely be installing some sort of frame protection behind the seat tube before riding this thing. 22.42lbs with dropper, pedals, sealant, etc....very happy with this weight considering the 120mm 34mm fork and 2.6" wide tires. Really blurring the lines between a race and trail bike. First ride will be tomorrow evening, will post more pics and a ride review soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_4552.jpg  

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_4561.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If it were full suspension I might agree, but its not.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012

I love the pic of the parts spread across the bed. Thatís what I would do too ó if I werenít married. Looks like a sweeet bike in the making. Let us know how much it weighs in at.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    I love the pic of the parts spread across the bed. Thatís what I would do too ó if I werenít married. Looks like a sweeet bike in the making. Let us know how much it weighs in at.

Above he says it weighs 22.42lbs

mtbr member
    While I do like a 27.5+ tire setup, the BB was just too low. I ended up putting the 29er wheels back on. I would have needed a 130 fork to pull it off. Instead I managed to work a deal where I was able to get an NX eagle group and I have to say I love it so far. I'm not sure if Ibis is going to offer the groupo on the DV9, but it's a great combo.

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_1357.jpg

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_1358.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    They do offer the DV9 with the NX group. $2,100 and change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    They do offer the DV9 with the NX group. $2,100 and change.

They don't offer the 1 x 12 eagle version. It's just NX 1 x 11.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Putting a boat anchor group like NX Eagle on a bike like this makes no sense anyway. Either bump up to GX or live with NX 11 Spd until you can afford to upgrade or it drives you nuts.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Putting a boat anchor group like NX Eagle on a bike like this makes no sense anyway. Either bump up to GX or live with NX 11 Spd until you can afford to upgrade or it drives you nuts.
    Kind of ironic, looking at your sig.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Kind of ironic, looking at your sig.
    If this was a 38lb fatbike it wouldn't matter. As it's a carbon XC race bike, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Plus I'm ironic.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    If anyone is looking for a mint condition large DV9 frame, I'm selling one in the classifieds for $750. I loved the bike, but my lower back issues have been getting worse and trying to be fast on a hardtail wasn't helping. It only has 60 miles on it.

Dude...
    If anyone is looking for a mint condition large DV9 frame, I'm selling one in the classifieds for $750. I loved the bike, but my lower back issues have been getting worse and trying to be fast on a hardtail wasn't helping. It only has 60 miles on it.
    Link

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wow, just over 2100 for the NX build is an unbelievable price. Was thinking of buying a set of Industry 9/942 wheels for my Ripmo but decided to pick up an entire bike (DV9 NX) instead.

default title
    Mar 2008
    I keep waiting to hear someone has put a Whisky #9 fork on this frame..

My vassago bandersnatch is now old and crusty enough that it would be expensive to upgrade but I dig the 29er rigid for light mtb/gravel/road rides (commutes, wet winter rides).
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have this bike and it rips! Have about 6 rides on it thus far.

I too was considering a bling wheelset upgrade, then decided to look at a different bike to fit between my long travel 29er and gravel bike. At first I was looking at the SC Chameleon and Kona Wozo. This bike came out and I pulled the trigger rather quickly. Went with a large white GX build, the large NX wasn't available in white and both of my other bikes are orange and black. Changed the bars/stem and installed a 125 dropper. At 5'10ish the 50mm stem and 125 dropper are perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No one cares what you think Sand Yeti, especially me

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    For anyone who has this bike already (in 120mm / 2.6 tire build), does it feel true to fit? Does a large fit as a large should? I'm considering one and I'm 6'1" so I would be on the large. Also, how goes the geometry feel? From the geo charts it looks like somewhere between a XC and all-mountain feel. Somewhat slack head angle, etc. The NX build looks like really good value

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail

This bike is super fun, Iíve done an 80 mile epic ride and a bunch of short tech rides on it and I just keep smiling. It is super fun, it feels a lot like the Ripley, it almost feels like it has suspension with the 2.6 tires. The geometry is awesome, itís super poppy and fun to jump.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks MTBMILES for the pictures. Regarding running the 2.6 tires....Do you have to deflate the rear tire to get it on/off the bike like another DV9 owner said he has to do? That doesn't seem right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No I donít, that seems strange to me.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I thought it strange also. Sure would not want to have to do that. It was matt.s67 post on this thread awhile back.
    "Mine is already an extremely tight fit with an 29x2.6 Bontrager XR2 out back. I can't even install/remove my rear wheel without deflating the tire first."
    Thats what got me concerned regarding the 2.6 fit. Good to know a Schwalbe 2.6 will fit with out deflating.
    This bike is moving to top of my list for this springs new HT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Iím stumped to what his issues were. I just came out of my garage after looking at my bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nothing is perfect. If I need to let a little air from a tire (2.6 29er at that) to replace it, not a big deal. Man must be tuff to design bikes these days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Does the tire buzz the frame at all? Can you send more pics of the clearance? What is the id of those rims? I really want to use those tires on my upcoming build on Stans MK3.
    Thanks!

Mine is already an extremely tight fit with an 29x2.6 Bontrager XR2 out back. I can't even install/remove my rear wheel without deflating the tire first. Will definitely be installing some sort of frame protection behind the seat tube before riding this thing. 22.42lbs with dropper, pedals, sealant, etc....very happy with this weight considering the 120mm 34mm fork and 2.6" wide tires. Really blurring the lines between a race and trail bike. First ride will be tomorrow evening, will post more pics and a ride review soon.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    The Rear drop outs are angled forward on most bikes. If you are running a max size tire there will not be enough room for the tire to slide forward and down. It happens on a lot of bikes when you push the limit of tire size.

On several bikes I've had to spread the rear so the hub end caps clear the frame slots. There is usually enough flex to do this without hurting anything.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Does anyone that has time on a dv9 also have time on bikes like a honzo or chameleon?

I currently have a SS el mariachi, and a Jeffsy 29er. Iím looking for something light and fast to use on in town trails that is still a blast to ride. My main concern is that the dv9 wonít be playful enough, but the HTA looks solid with a 120 fork, so I guess itís the STA and chainstays that have me thinking. Iím the kind of guy that doesnít care a whole lot about numbers as long as it feels right, and ibis usually does that well. So any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm currently building one up but have test ridden one a couple times on trail. I felt like it was very playful. Enough so that I'm probably going to sell my stache outright and just keep the DV9.
    I've owned an El Mariachi for years too and it's a great bike, but this DV9 is so damn light and fun. I had to get one after riding it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Ah, nice. Thatís what Iím hoping to hear! I want a lightweight option for playing in town, and endurance events that have tons of gravel climbs like the sm100. I might have to make a trip to test ride one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Does anyone that has time on a dv9 also have time on bikes like a honzo or chameleon?

I currently have a SS el mariachi, and a Jeffsy 29er. Iím looking for something light and fast to use on in town trails that is still a blast to ride. My main concern is that the dv9 wonít be playful enough, but the HTA looks solid with a 120 fork, so I guess itís the STA and chainstays that have me thinking. Iím the kind of guy that doesnít care a whole lot about numbers as long as it feels right, and ibis usually does that well. So any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I own both a 2014 Honzo and a DV9, I have also owned a 2017 Honzo Ti. The DV9 feels pretty stable on the front compared to my older Honzo with the 120 fork I don't feel the need to get back over the rear axle as much as I do on the Honzo. The rear end isn't as planted as the Honzo is but that's probably weight difference and tire difference, as I run a 2.4 Aggressor on the rear of the Honzo and a 2.35 Ardent Race on the DV9. At high speed descending they feel similar the Ibis is easier to pop up and over rough sections the Honzo just plows a bit better. Climbing isn't even fair the DV9 climbs WAY better than the Honzo. The Ti Honzo I had I never really jived with, it was just too flexy in the front and rear for my fat ass.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hahaha, thanks for the description! Sounds like the dv9 could be exactly what I'm looking for. I just want light and fun so damn badly... also rocketing up climbs is high on my list.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just got my DV9 size large with the 120mm and 2.6 tire build and I can confirm on mine there is zero problem getting the wheel/tire off with the high volume Schwable Nobby Nic 2.6. I don't even see where or how someone else mentioned they had to deflate the tire in order to get the wheel/tire off the bike. There's plenty of clearance wheel installed and once you start pulling the wheel/tire off there's even more clearance because seatstays and chainstays naturally expand outward

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Same weird hanger angle

Did you get any info out of ibis on the oddball hanger angle? Same observation with my new dv9 frame. Bad batch of hangers maybe? Or intentional? Building it up and no wheels to test yet. Maybe itís normal

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by beesee View Post
    Did you get any info out of ibis on the oddball hanger angle? Same observation with my new dv9 frame. Bad batch of hangers maybe? Or intentional? Building it up and no wheels to test yet. Maybe itís normal
    It seems the wheel axle did the alignment, after I put the wheel in and tightened the axle it all lined up. It's good to hear someone else saw the same thing as I did. I always align the derailleur hanger during a new build but the angle was soo far out I was concerned. And others in the thread just tell you what you already know without being able to see how far off it was LOL! But yeah the wheel being in the frame and tightening the thru axle remedied the awkward angle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    I'm currently building one up but have test ridden one a couple times on trail. I felt like it was very playful. Enough so that I'm probably going to sell my stache outright and just keep the DV9.
    I've owned an El Mariachi for years too and it's a great bike, but this DV9 is so damn light and fun. I had to get one after riding it.
    You're in Austin, right? Does Cycle Progression have one to demo, or did you borrow the bike from someone?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjammin View Post
    You're in Austin, right? Does Cycle Progression have one to demo, or did you borrow the bike from someone?
    Not anymore. I moved to Kerrville 2.5 years ago. A buddy bought one and let me borrow it a couple times. I'm building mine up this weekend. I'll post pics when it is done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Post up your opinions, sherpa, I'm interested in this bike as well.

Hope the hill country is treating you guys well.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Will do. I'm hoping to take it to RPR on Sunday assuming we don't get totally hammered with rain today.

The Hill Country is pretty amazing. It's been a fantastic move for the family. I miss the immediate access to an amazing trail system, but all in all it has been worth it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My final build on my dv9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-dv9final.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How does it ride??

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    How does it ride??
    It rides great, I am coming from a 2014 Honzo and a Ibis Tranny 29er, and the DV9 is a great mix of the 2. I like the Tranny 29er for smooth xc riding it was light and climbed well but the lack of tire clearance was a bummer also I always wished for a little slacker head tube. the Honzo rips on the dh but it is a super heavy bike and was always a slog on the uphills. the DV9 with its light weight climbs great and I have plenty of room to fit tires I want also on the dh it rips just as well as the honzo, it feels a little better in the front since the hta is about half a degree slacker than the honzo I dont have to get as far back on really steep stuff. Oh and did I mention it climbs great too . it is pretty awesome I really havent had a bike in a long time since my old Independent Fabrication steel deluxe 26" bike that felt as natural to me and my riding style as the DV9. Super happy with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It rides great...
    Thanks, very helpful! I'll be coming off a 26" Steelman hardtail I've had for 17-odd years. DV9 is on the short list.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    Thanks, very helpful! I'll be coming off a 26" Steelman hardtail I've had for 17-odd years. DV9 is on the short list.
    OOOO nice... I toyed with the idea of a steelman back in the day that a friend of a friend was selling. But at the time I hade my indy fab and couldnt justify it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well, I wanted to post some photos of my new Ibis DV9 including some tire clearance shots but this website's photo uploader pulls them in upside down each time. I tried turning them upside down in the folder on my PC and the uploader still somehow pulls them in upside down. Photos originally shot on an Iphone so maybe that's part of the problem. But the uploader or the posting tools should have a way to rotate photos before final posting. I didn't see any such functionality. Am I missing something? I can't be the first person with this problem because I've seen other photos posted sideways in other threads. Other people probably just gave up like I did

Wanna ride bikes?
    Don't have an answer but if you just post the photo's one of us can flip them right-side-up for you.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Finishing up my wifes DV9 build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-20190111_133144.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gravity View Post
    Well, I wanted to post some photos of my new Ibis DV9 including some tire clearance shots but this website's photo uploader pulls them in upside down each time. I tried turning them upside down in the folder on my PC and the uploader still somehow pulls them in upside down. Photos originally shot on an Iphone so maybe that's part of the problem. But the uploader or the posting tools should have a way to rotate photos before final posting. I didn't see any such functionality. Am I missing something? I can't be the first person with this problem because I've seen other photos posted sideways in other threads. Other people probably just gave up like I did
    Before attempting to load a photo (which loads upside down or sideways), rotate the photo around 360 degrees until it sits in the correct position and than save the photo. This should solve your problem. You can do this on your desk top; it doesn't require photoshop or something like this. Remember that MTBR also has image file size restrictions as well! Good luck and lets see the photos!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone know the weight on the top of the line DV9?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Mine is 20.5 and with an 11 speed 1195 cassette, xt brakes, xtr shifter and derailleur, RDO post and bars. Aluminum i9 trail wheels and 2.35 tires. Could easily loose a pound still.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mine is 20.5 and with an 11 speed 1195 cassette, xt brakes, xtr shifter and derailleur, RDO post and bars. Aluminum i9 trail wheels and 2.35 tires. Could easily loose a pound still.
    Thatís impressive. I am at 23 even. Xx1 Eagle. KS Lev dropper. Carbon wheels, handlebar, stem. 2.3 tires. Xtr pedals. Size Medium. Step cast 34 fork. RF cranks.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by woodthegreat View Post
    Anyone know the weight on the top of the line DV9?

Thanks!
    Yeah, it's heavy. Like really horribly unridably heavy. Got to be in the 33lb range. You should probably go to the nearest Specialized dealer and buy the first $8k bike you see.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I am a high school NICA racer looking to upgrade from my Trek X-Cal to a higher-end hardtail and investigating two intetesting bikes: the Santa Cruz Chameleon and the Ibis DV9. Both bikes satisfy a few things for me...

-Lightweight hardtail
    -120-130mm front travel front suspension
    -SRAM Eagle drivetrain
    -A mix between XC and trail geometry
    -Priced around 2K

Not sure which bike is going to be best for me. I ride a fair amount of rocky, moderately technical trails with a fair amount of climb and descent around Austin TX for fun. On weekends I race on the mostly flowy XC single-track courses on the Texas NICA circuits. As such, Iím looking for something that will serve both purposes well. Iíve been able to get on a Chameleon at my local bike shop, but canít seem to find a DV9 anywhere within a few hours of me.

Anybody had experience on either or both of these two bikes that could offer some insight and thought? Any other bikes you think I should consider? Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thatís impressive. I am at 23 even. Xx1 Eagle. KS Lev dropper. Carbon wheels, handlebar, stem. 2.3 tires. Xtr pedals. Size Medium. Step cast 34 fork. RF cranks.
    The difference is probably the 12 speed XX1 vs 11 speed X01, carbon post vs dropper, and SC32 vs 34 and its a small frame. If your wheels are wider, they are probably a wash. The i9 are the ultralight 24 hole trail ones. The 2.35 tires are rocket Ron liteskin, so they are pretty light as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Don't have an answer but if you just post the photo's one of us can flip them right-side-up for you.
    Here are some upside down photos of my DV9, 120mm build. Thanks in advance if someone can flip the photos right side up.

I went entry level NX build to manage cost. My first new hardtail in decades. My other full squish was feeling like overkill on my local trails so this is exactly what I was looking for, and a bike requiring less maintenance (theoretically). The only other changes since these photos was swapping in a different cushier saddle, Ergon grips, and night riding lights.

Nice bonus it comes spec'd with the high volume 2.6 tires. I've been running them on my other bike for over a year and I think it's the sweet spot in tires. While the photo shows massive tire clearance at the seatstays, I should say that it's tighter at the seatpost margin but still plenty of room for these tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_4151-3-.jpg  

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_4150-1-.jpg  

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_4153-1-.jpg  

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gravity View Post
    Here are some right side up photos of my DV9, 120mm build.

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_4151%2520%25283%2529.jpg

2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail-img_4150%2520%25281%2529.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    The Rear drop outs are angled forward on most bikes. If you are running a max size tire there will not be enough room for the tire to slide forward and down. It happens on a lot of bikes when you push the limit of tire size.

On several bikes I've had to spread the rear so the hub end caps clear the frame slots. There is usually enough flex to do this without hurting anything.
    Do you have to spread the rear drop outs on your Ripmo to get your wheel in? Mine is the first bike I've had to do it on, I can't get the rear wheel on without doing it (though it's very easy, flexes slightly and goes right in). I was just confused initially.

mtbr member
    Anyone build a DV9 up with 27.5"+ wheels? I have a set of good wheels that I am going to sell or build another rig. 2.8" tire on a 38mm internal width rim. I figure if it fits a 29'/2.6" it should fit but the BB may be a tad lower.
    Thanks for any input.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast