2017 Ibis Ripley OG... why such a steep head angle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

2017 Ibis Ripley OG... why such a steep head angle?

I was a bit surprised to see why this trail bike has such a steep head angle? My anthem sx 2015 which has 100 rear travel + 120 front travel is slacker at 68.5... at 69.2 I feel this might a bit too steep for steep and technical DH vs my anthem despite the additional travel? The seat angle is almost the same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yup impossible to ride one. You're comparing a number between a 27.5 bike and a 29er, more to it than just that.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well comparing to many shorter travel 29ers is still also quite steep... including the newer Ripley and the Giant Trance 29er off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    Well comparing to many shorter travel 29ers is still also quite steep... including the newer Ripley and the Giant Trance 29er off the top of my head.
    Horses for course and all that.

Here is even an article from the day where they preferred the precision of the old geo vs the LS.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 08-30-2019 at 05:22 AM.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    You're talking about a bike was released in 2013, and was in development for a few years while they dialed in the rear end. Things sometimes change fast, they didn't waste too much time coming out with the LS version although it was quickly left behind again. They seem to have taken a big enough step forward this time to not fall behind in the geometry flavor of the season for a while.

mtbr member
    Isn't the 2017 a V2 with the 67.5 HTA? For 2018 (which I have) it looks like Ibis just added a wider rear triangle to accommodate a 2.6 tire.

I think people need to stop fixating on one single number whether its HTA, reach, and as of late STA. I don't think a single geo number really dictates on how a bike rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Isn't the 2017 a V2 with the 67.5 HTA? For 2018 (which I have) it looks like Ibis just added a wider rear triangle to accommodate a 2.6 tire.

I think people need to stop fixating on one single number whether its HTA, reach, and as of late STA. I don't think a single geo number really dictates on how a bike rides.
    That's the LS, the OG didn't change, just went boost.

Hell its a miracle I managed to control this old beast on a street going slow according to everyone on the forums today. Look at the stem- impossible to ride.
    2017 Ibis Ripley OG... why such a steep head angle?-sworks-3-.jpg
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Now...2019 moving into 2020...you will automatically endo just getting on a bike with anything less than a 65 degree HTA.

I remember drooling all over that bike when I first saw it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Now...2019 moving into 2020...you will automatically endo just getting on a bike with anything less than a 65 degree HTA.

I remember drooling all over that bike when I first saw it.
    Funny story, went camping with another couple, stopped in a a bike shop and saw it and it was on sale. Buddy and I test rode it and drooled over it, I told him to get and said I couldn't afford it. Well the new owner of the shop knew what his was doing. As soon as he realized we both were seriously interested, he call the other location, had them close the store and bring it's twin over. Friend was finishing up buying his when the van rolled up with the second one. We were twins on the trail for years. He still has his, wish I never sold mine.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Great post and video TwoTone!! Some people need to quit worrying about the numbers and angles and spend more time on bikes.. My wife has been on the OG Ripley since 2015 and rips harder than many dudes I ride with.. It's all about riding technique and experience. Although we just picked up her new V4 and it's a shred machine!!
    2017 Ibis Ripley OG... why such a steep head angle?-drop.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Iíd still be riding mine as my main rig if I hadnít ridden an HD3. The OG rips Singletrack that is too chunky. I never found it lacking in steep terrain.

aka dan51
    I was a bit surprised to see why this trail bike has such a steep head angle? My anthem sx 2015 which has 100 rear travel + 120 front travel is slacker at 68.5... at 69.2 I feel this might a bit too steep for steep and technical DH vs my anthem despite the additional travel? The seat angle is almost the same.
    That steep HA was f#$%ing miserable. I have an OG V1 Ripley, and it was miserable on any technical or steep DH. I changed the headset out for a -1* and it totally transformed the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    That steep HA was f#$%ing miserable. I have an OG V1 Ripley, and it was miserable on any technical or steep DH. I changed the headset out for a -1* and it totally transformed the bike.
    I added a -1 as well and it did ride a lot better. Have to admit that.

mtbr member
    What where they thinking when they made the HA of the Bow Ti 71d and the SA a slack as phuck 72d. Donít get me started on the 24Ē top tube on the XL... surprised I am still alive

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This was my old ripper! Still can't beat some of my old times. Yes I rode it with a 90 stem..eventually got down to a tiny 70 with a 700 bar.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Ibis-Mojo-HD-Tested.html

2017 Ibis Ripley OG... why such a steep head angle?-p5pb8813642.jpg