mtbr member
    Sep 2010

2011 Mojo SL Setup Tips

First - thanks to all on this forum - been lurking for quite a while and just became a part of the Ibis club with a brand new Mojo SL. The bike needs only one word to describe...incredible. I'm continually amazed at this thing...whether I'm actually on it or just in the garage looking at it.

The one thing I'm having trouble with is the setup of the front shock. Obviously the Fox manual isn't much help - as it's not written specifically for the Mojo. What is everyone running for the front shock pressure? I'm 6'0 and around 200 lbs. but even getting 20% sag takes a pressure down around the 60 PSI level - which seems way too low for me. I started at around 95 PSI and found that I was using only about 70% of the travel in some pretty aggressive riding. I'm curious to see if this particular geometry results in a slightly different pressure recommendation from Fox's standard. Any help is appreciated.

Other than that - any other setup tips, tricks, recommendations are appreciated - what have all of you done to get the most out of this thing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninety9TJ
    First - thanks to all on this forum - been lurking for quite a while and just became a part of the Ibis club with a brand new Mojo SL. The bike needs only one word to describe...incredible. I'm continually amazed at this thing...whether I'm actually on it or just in the garage looking at it.

The one thing I'm having trouble with is the setup of the front shock. Obviously the Fox manual isn't much help - as it's not written specifically for the Mojo. What is everyone running for the front shock pressure? I'm 6'0 and around 200 lbs. but even getting 20% sag takes a pressure down around the 60 PSI level - which seems way too low for me. I started at around 95 PSI and found that I was using only about 70% of the travel in some pretty aggressive riding. I'm curious to see if this particular geometry results in a slightly different pressure recommendation from Fox's standard. Any help is appreciated.

Other than that - any other setup tips, tricks, recommendations are appreciated - what have all of you done to get the most out of this thing?
    I've found adjusting fork pressure with sag difficult and inaccurate...I've dialed mine in by just riding it and tweaking. I'm 155lbs without gear and I run my Fox Talas fork at ~65, so for 200 lbs you might start at 85. Then take an ride w/ some good steep drops or jumps and if you don't get near full travel, try going down in 5 psi increments. You didn't mention which fork you have but also make sure your fork adjustments (low speed compression damping, etc.) aren't on the extremes. I'd start that at middle settings with everything, and work from there.

For your shock, assuming it's RP23, start with 25-30% sag.

Outside of that, if you don't have an adjustable seatpost, that's the first upgrade I'd get...nothing has improved my riding enjoyment (and ability) more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving
    I've found adjusting fork pressure with sag difficult and inaccurate...I've dialed mine in by just riding it and tweaking. I'm 155lbs without gear and I run my Fox Talas fork at ~65, so for 200 lbs you might start at 85. Then take an ride w/ some good steep drops or jumps and if you don't get near full travel, try going down in 5 psi increments. You didn't mention which fork you have but also make sure your fork adjustments (low speed compression damping, etc.) aren't on the extremes. I'd start that at middle settings with everything, and work from there.

For your shock, assuming it's RP23, start with 25-30% sag.

Outside of that, if you don't have an adjustable seatpost, that's the first upgrade I'd get...nothing has improved my riding enjoyment (and ability) more.
    Awesome - thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

Sorry - forgot to post the fork info - it's the 2011 Fox Float 32 (140mm). This is my first experience with the Float - previous fork (on last bike) was a 140mm Talas. What is max travel on the float? In other words - if I set the sag ring at the bottom of the fork, how far below the crown should it go with maximum travel? The highest I can compress it is to about 1-1.5" below the crown - is that right?

I'm with you on the seatpost - definitely my next upgrade. I've heard of problems with the KS and Joplin so I thought I'd wait until Interbike and see what's going on with the new Rock Shox post. Which one did you get?

mtbr member
    Let the air out of the shock and you will know how far it will compress, mine is about 3/8" from the crown.
    milesW

mtbr member
    What is max travel on the float? In other words - if I set the sag ring at the bottom of the fork, how far below the crown should it go with maximum travel? The highest I can compress it is to about 1-1.5" below the crown - is that right?

I'm with you on the seatpost - definitely my next upgrade. I've heard of problems with the KS and Joplin so I thought I'd wait until Interbike and see what's going on with the new Rock Shox post. Which one did you get?
    Full travel on my Talas does not go all the way to the crown...something like 1/4-1/2 inch below. Although I've had trouble getting full travel in real world conditions too. You could let most of the air out of fork and then push it down until it stops to check where yours is supposed to bottom out.

I run GravityDropper Turbo. It's kinda ugly, but has proven to be a lot more bullet proof than several of my riding buddies' Joplins. My buddy has order in for the Rock Shox, looks nice and can't wait to see how it holds up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm 6'0 and around 200 lbs. but even getting 20% sag takes a pressure down around the 60 PSI level - which seems way too low for me. I started at around 95 PSI and found that I was using only about 70% of the travel in some pretty aggressive riding.
    Get a revelation Fork and use your full travel ok maybe Fox fixed their travel in '11 (heard this was an issue). Seriously, I'm 205lbs and use 110psi and use pretty much full travel on bigger drops, otheriwse typically 90% of range. I may need to drop it a bit more - I never set 20% sag (barely any sag).

Rear shock on the other hand is 35% sag (I like it plush) at 125psi I believe....

+1 for the Gravity Turbo (just got one. read and met people with tons of issues on hydrolic ones. Keep it simple and mechanical (easy to service too) until someone who knows susension gets it right... RS ?

mtbr member
    #1 Ignore Fox's recommended pressures. They're well known to be on the high side. Start with sag measurement and adjust to feel and observed maximum travel

#2 Make sure you've got the lockout off and the LSC damping dialed all the way soft before measuring sag

#3 I haven't ridden one of the new Fox's, but there are reports of them changing significantly after the initial break in period...so it may improve after 10 or 15 hours of trail time

#4 Accept that you're not going to get full travel on a Fox in most cases unless you run the air pressure so low that you get excessive sag and mid-stroke mush. Again, this is reportedly better on the new forks, but my '08 Float 140 RLC never came close to full travel unless I lowered the pressure so much that the ride suffered in other ways. There's a mod you can do on the older forks to increase air volume and get a more linear spring curve... I was stoked to try it, but got a Revelation Maxle instead, so the Float is still laying around unchanged.

Members who have read this thread: 0