Happy when not-last.

1x9 Mojo chain guide?

What are all you 1x9s running for a chain guide, specifically WITH a bash guard?

I'm using the Blackspire Stinger which just isn't cutting it. I'm thinking about modifying the "MRP 1x" to work with my bash guard (Salsa Tooth Fairy 32) or the "MRP System 3 Mini Me Partycrasher Chain Guide".

Thoughts? What's your guide?
    All your base are belong to ME.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    http://www.widgit.com.au/index.html

I stumbled across this a couple of days ago. It seems to be a good alternative to the standard bash guard jump stop option. I'm trying to decide whether I should go with this or an MRP 1.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am running an e*thirteen LG1+ on a couple of my XC bikes. It weighs a paltry 174 grams (about 100g lighter than the next lightest competitor), can take huge amounts of abuse, and was used by Steve Peat to win the DH World Champs.Not many parts that can dual duty for XC and DH but this is one of the few that pull it off. Also the e*thirteen XCX (top guide only) will be available in a couple weeks, it was raced to 2nd place at Worlds by Julien Absalon, and Geoff Kabush, JHK, and Mike Broderick also run them on the WC circuit.
    https://www.e13components.com/product_lg1plus.html

dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

DWlink Fanboy
    Dec 2006
    I'm running a "ghetto" guide - just a blackspire flat plate that together with the Salsa ring dinger sandwiches my chain onto the middle sprocket.

I have dropped the chain once in about 9 months of 3-5 ride per week riding. It is very inexpensive, and you can use the chainring of your picking.

IMHO, it's far better than the ring dinger, but a far cry from the e.thirteen suggested by Dave.

Albert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    I am running an e*thirteen LG1+ on a couple of my XC bikes. It weighs a paltry 174 grams (about 100g lighter than the next lightest competitor), can take huge amounts of abuse, and was used by Steve Peat to win the DH World Champs.Not many parts that can dual duty for XC and DH but this is one of the few that pull it off. Also the e*thirteen XCX (top guide only) will be available in a couple weeks, it was raced to 2nd place at Worlds by Julien Absalon, and Geoff Kabush, JHK, and Mike Broderick also run them on the WC circuit.
    https://www.e13components.com/product_lg1plus.html

Dave,

Does the LG1+ fit on the mojo? Any more rides with my chain flying everywhere and I'm going to wear through the carbon on the swingarm! For that matter, will my old SRS fit?

flow where ever you go
    The Gamut G25 at 190 grams is nice looking and looks worth a try - but I've not used it.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

MPI
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    The Gamut G25 at 190 grams is nice looking and looks worth a try - but I've not used it.
    I have Gamut P20 and have a problem with lower roller and chainstay. As a BB mount the lower roller sometimes rubs to chainstay. Especially then taking some hits from logs or rocks. So I am giving a go to the e13 SRS+ which have tunable lower roller positioning.

http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

OHV Gansta

https://www.widgit.com.au/

Theres a thread about it here. I've being using one for the past 4mths without issue, still on same chain and cassette.
    Get out and ride

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by MinskyBA
    What are all you 1x9s running for a chain guide, specifically WITH a bash guard?

I'm using the Blackspire Stinger which just isn't cutting it. I'm thinking about modifying the "MRP 1x" to work with my bash guard (Salsa Tooth Fairy 32) or the "MRP System 3 Mini Me Partycrasher Chain Guide".

Thoughts? What's your guide?
    MinksyBA,

I've been using the MRP 1.X for a while this year on my Tracer VP.
    Here's the problem with that guide: without a lower pulley/tension on the chain it can whip around and fall off the chainring on the outside. If you have your 1.X set correctly it can be a huge PITA to get the chain back on without removing or loosening the uppers on the 1.X. For normal XC there was no problem, but if the trail got really rough this happen more than enough times to get me torked.

Solutions. There are two and you already have half of one solution.

1. I now run a BB mount Stinger on the inside of the 1.X. In the case of the Tracer VP it does throw the chainline off a bit, but it's workable. However, come mid-December MRP is releasing a seat tube mounted 1.X which will solve that problem. The Stinger keeps the chain from whipping around in the rough and makes the drivetrail uber quiet. You may not have much of an issue with chainline as the BB on the Mojo is a 68mm as I do on the Tracer.

2. Modifying the 1.X to use a bashguard. This is quite simple but if you ever want to use it as it was meant to in the future, you'll need to go to the hardware store and spend a couple of bucks. Normally I now run my bike as explained in Solution #1 with either a 34 or 36 ring. But if I'm going to ride someplace where I'll need a bashguard the switch over is pretty simple.
    You'll just need to remove the outer half of the 1.X upper and use a bolt about half the length of the existing one to hold it to the backplate. Where the rear of the upper is held together by the other bolt you'll have a gap between it and the bashguard (I use a new E.13 SRS+). To fill that gap so the chain doesn't get stuck underneith the inner lip of the remaining upper plate, I've just used the existing bolt and an old Avid disk brake washer (one of the thicker ones used to hold/position the calipers). You'll just have to find something that sits close to the inside of the bashguard without hitting.

With this setup the chain doesn't have anywhere to fall and is held in place both by the Stinger lower and won't fall to the outside due to the bashguard. However, with only the inner half of the 1.X it's not very rigid and will hit the inside of the bashguard and make a lot of noise. To solve that I just wrapped the washer and bolt with rubber Framewrap which also cuts down on chainslap noise and is great for protecting your carbon chainstays.

If you decide to use the Stinger, which is a dual ring guide, I would strongly suggest taking a Dremel and rounding the inner lip of the pulley and taking the edge off it. Doing so makes a huge difference if you happen to backpedal and allows the chain to move more as it would if the Stinger wasn't there and doesn't force it over.

Problems with both setups: If you hit the Stinger it could spin and throw not only it, but the 1.X out of position. Once the new seat tube mount 1.X's start shipping next month that will be less of an issue.

I know _dw mentioned running an LG1+ or SRS+. I own an SRS+ and it's a great guide. However, the carbon tubes around the BB on the Mojo are huge. When I tried to run a DRS or any guide that had a flange on the inside of the guide, it required a lot of grinding in order not to gouge the carbon. Plus with either LG1 or SRS you'll have to use the ISCG adaptor which is really going to push the chain out away from the BB once you factor in that you'll have to use some BB spacers to clear the width of the frame tubes near the BB.

The mods above sound like a lot of work, but were actually pretty simple. The biggest time consumer was getting the two guides in the correct position and then keeping them positioned as you tighten down the BB cup. All said and done, without the chainring/chainring bolts this set up came in around $80.

Set up #1, opted for the XT crankset recently as it added a bit of stiffness to the single front ring set up:

How I had it set up earlier with an SRS+ and XTR crankset. Great guide but not an optimal chainline with the use of the ISCG adaptor:

And the first, early attempt with the 1.X:

Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 11-10-2009 at 08:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    E.13 SRS+ works well on my Mojo frame.

MPI
    mtbr member
    Same here! I just filed BB-mount a little to get proper fit as Slcrockymountainrider suggested.
    My frame is XL.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

Members who have read this thread: 0