Thread: 12mm maxle

mtbr member

12mm maxle

So I just found out my Mojo HD frame is on its way! But I also realized that I probably can't use my 2009 Crossmax wheel set. The front is max 15mm and I am assuming I can't use the rear with the 12mm maxle. Are there any adapters for the rear? Anybody have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am not sure that the prior post applies to 2009 crossmax's, I have 2009 Crossmax SX and while the front can convert to a 15mm by removing the caps, the rear axle is removed with two allen wrenches which go directly into the axle, meaning no 12mm.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    i converted me rear 2009 to 10mm axle by inserting two bushes into the open axle ends - I think you can run it open to use a 12mm maxle.....not sure so please check.
    Nice frame BTW

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I converted my Crossmax SX rear wheel (the version with the white hub which I believe is the 2009 version) to run with the 12 mm maxle on the HD. The conversion is very easy -- basically involves removing the end caps on the hubs. The earlier version of the SXs (with the grey hubs) cannot be converted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So mine are black with yellow/white graphics, maybe they aren't 2009...

edit, nevermind, they are 2007's....ignore my earlier post.

mtbr member
    Well, as far as I can tell after mucho searhing, the ST rear hubs don't really have a way of converting to 12mm..

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tweezerGlint
    Well, as far as I can tell after mucho searhing, the ST rear hubs don't really have a way of converting to 12mm..
    You could always take your rear wheel and look at it too...does it have removable end caps, without them is it a thru-axle, is it 12mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13
    You could always take your rear wheel and look at it too...does it have removable end caps, without them is it a thru-axle, is it 12mm?
    Already did that. Also, I finally found a tech support number for Mavic and called... according to them, there is no way to convert the hub to 12mm. Argh. So, now I guess I will be buying a new set of wheels. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep them around the same weight (1600-1700g), but I can't spend $800+...

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Got my eyes on these, well under $800, tubelss, and light

Or custom wheels (Hope or Nuke Proof Hubs laced to 823s)...
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Members who have read this thread: 0