$290- Worth the upgrade from Fox 36 Performance to Factory? New Ripmo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2018

$290- Worth the upgrade from Fox 36 Performance to Factory? New Ripmo

I am about to pull the trigger on my new Ripmo. My last decision is this. For $290 more, I can get it with the Fox Factory 36 with Grip 2. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade, for the price, from the 36 Performance?

Any input, experiences, advice, etc. will be appreciated. Thanks!

jrm
    mtbr member
    "Performance Elite forks retain the same adjustments, dampers, weight, and 7000 series aluminum upper tubes as Factory Series, but have black anodized upper tubes instead of Genuine Kashima Coat."
    https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m=bike&family=36

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I think it was worth it by what reviews think. I go by hey if your in it for this much $$$$ might as well get the best suspension possible!

I only got 5 rides in on my Factory so I don't think its broken in yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pretty sure the Ripmo comes with the regular performance fork and shock, which is inferior to both the performance elite and factory (different dampers).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ---

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    Pretty sure the Ripmo comes with the regular performance fork and shock, which is inferior to both the performance elite and factory (different dampers).
    The regular performance is still excellent. So excellent that they make the new Grip2 with it's damper design.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Factory level suspension has Kashima stanchions (between which I can't really tell a difference, and I bet you can't either) and all available adjustments. The Performance Elite level has all the adjustments sans the Kashima coating. The Performance level (which Ibis uses as stock) has no Kashima and much less compression fine-tune adjustment. These are the differences in their levels as far as I know, up to you which ones are important. If you're not a serious fine-tuner, the basic Performance might be better for you. Like I said, the Kashima is mostly for bling and IMO the black stanchions look better anyway.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    The regular performance is still excellent. So excellent that they make the new Grip2 with it's damper design.
    Exactly! This is why it is such a tough decision! Do you miss the loss of a lockout on the Factory?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lgmoto356 View Post
    Exactly! This is why it is such a tough decision! Do you miss the loss of a lockout on the Factory?
    I did get the factory and dpx2. And trust me on a Ripmo you will just leave it open all the time. I also don't dial in any lsc. I could have gone with the performance easily.

Now if you want my suggestion as far as the best value setup go with the performance fork, dpx2, GX drivetrain with a X01 shifter if you can and the 4 pot XT brakes and get upgraded 203's with them. I've got the i9 carbon wheels but regular carbon is fine for most. Those carbon wheels are the best upgrade you can get.

mtbr member
    Upgrading for grip2 damper later is no big deal. So if your not sure, you take the basic performance and upgrade later if you're missing some adjustment... I'm a set and forget guy for my suspension so went for the performance for my Ripmo that I'll get in spring.

On my current bike, I have an open-bath cartridge upgrade with LSC, HSC and rebound. My fork is a fox 2014 34 which was really bad so it really made a big difference. For the fox 36 2018-19 I don't think it would be that much difference at least for me...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    In my opinion, the real benefit of the Grip2 is independent HSR and LSR adjustments. The added adjustability of LSC and HSC is less of a benefit.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Now if you want my suggestion as far as the best value setup go with the performance fork, dpx2, GX drivetrain with a X01 shifter if you can and the 4 pot XT brakes and get upgraded 203's with them. I've got the i9 carbon wheels but regular carbon is fine for most. Those carbon wheels are the best upgrade you can get.
    I couldn’t agree more. I have a GX build with 942 carbon wheels, carbon bars and upgraded icetech rotors. I have been thinking to upgrade to XT brakes, but the 4 pot deore Perform well enough that I find it hard justifying the expense.
    The base performance fork is very capable as it is, and I would venture to say it is at least as good as my old Pike. Together with the DPX2, they make a fantastic “set and Forget” suspension system. I try to ride a wide variety of trails, and for me, the extra $250 will be better spent elsewhere.