SS 29er + Oahu = ??- Mtbr.com
    The perfessor

SS 29er + Oahu = ??

Wondering what trails to aim for when I visit Oahu next summer.......I took an old single-speed bike and rebuilt it nicely, and I'll send it to my buddy for riding and let him keep it when I'm finished (he'll be back in 3 years).......what trails might work best with this rig? - I'm 56, ride the foothills of the North GA mountains on an SS quite a bit but I'm no mountain goat for sure........appreciate any info - I've already studied trailforks elevation maps for some trails but the locals always know best!
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ride a 26 single speed hardtail whenever i m in town. I found that a large cog helps with momentum through the roots. I use a 21 rear cog.

Other than the roots, ss is fine for most trails i ride.

Manana, Mililani, st Louis, ohana flow. Ohana is actually awesome on single speed.

The perfessor
    - thanks, sounds like I'll be fine.......my ratio will be 30:21 so it's built to crank mountain trails but still careful about which uphills I crank - I'll ride anything either easy or moderate but am not afraid of single black diamond trails.........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_chrome View Post
    - thanks, sounds like I'll be fine.......my ratio will be 30:21 so it's built to crank mountain trails but still careful about which uphills I crank - I'll ride anything either easy or moderate but am not afraid of single black diamond trails.........
    Man, im an midaged guy who likes spinning, i cant imagine flogging my knees on the trails here on a ss. ohana prob not bad. For the most part Sunset should be good. Older Oahu trails tend to be steep climbs and decents with lots of roots. Maunawili Ditch is the beginner friendly trail that you couod practically sprint, but not many ride it anymore so its pretty chewed up by equestrians.

The perfessor
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Man, im an midaged guy who likes spinning, i cant imagine flogging my knees on the trails here on a ss. ohana prob not bad. For the most part Sunset should be good. Older Oahu trails tend to be steep climbs and decents with lots of roots. Maunawili Ditch is the beginner friendly trail that you couod practically sprint, but not many ride it anymore so its pretty chewed up by equestrians.
    - I didn't want to ship either of my best bikes to Oahu so I built this bike for this place; the gearing is easier than I normally push by 2% so warming up will be necessary for most rides......years of land surveying (carrying heavy equipment) and backpacking have kept my legs in really good shape so I don't mind a bit of "flogging", but it's good to get an idea of what I would probably find best for riding - I've already decided no black diamond trails (yes, I've ridden a few on my nice SS) based on the trailforks profile maps but I don't mind attempting either green or blue diamond trails......hopefully, I'll have drier conditions available when I ride but I can deal with slop pretty well - we just had our second wettest year on record since 1889 here in GA - and I'm used to lots of roots / rocks..........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_chrome View Post
    - I didn't want to ship either of my best bikes to Oahu so I built this bike for this place; the gearing is easier than I normally push by 2% so warming up will be necessary for most rides......years of land surveying (carrying heavy equipment) and backpacking have kept my legs in really good shape so I don't mind a bit of "flogging", but it's good to get an idea of what I would probably find best for riding - I've already decided no black diamond trails (yes, I've ridden a few on my nice SS) based on the trailforks profile maps but I don't mind attempting either green or blue diamond trails......hopefully, I'll have drier conditions available when I ride but I can deal with slop pretty well - we just had our second wettest year on record since 1889 here in GA - and I'm used to lots of roots / rocks..........
    Hopefully weather works out for you, its been a pretty wet winter. Most of the trails here can be a mess when wet, high clay content. Unless you have big clearance, theresva good chance of getting packed up with mud.

The perfessor
    - clearance may end up tight on the back; went with a 2.35, which is about max for this bike......but that's the good thing about single-speeds -- the drivetrain doesn't get mucked up too bad to ride.......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Its not the drivetrain thats a prob, my bike chainline is so close to tire that if it gets any kind of muddy the chain and deraileur becomes mud balls and still works ok, its that you get beehives around the chainstays and forks and your tires simply get jammed. You get off and walk and soon youre shoes are a couple inches taller, and everything is like 10 pounds heavier!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    There are a few trails to avoid during muddy days. Waimanalo ditch trail and mililani. Rain days my default ride is manana trail and st louis downhill ridden in the uphill direction.

Also, i ran 1.95 tires. I guess 2.0 these days. During mid summer i will put on something wider. As Root said, some trails will literally put a haul to your wheel.

The perfessor
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    There are a few trails to avoid during muddy days. Waimanalo ditch trail and mililani. Rain days my default ride is manana trail and st louis downhill ridden in the uphill direction.

Also, i ran 1.95 tires. I guess 2.0 these days. During mid summer i will put on something wider. As Root said, some trails will literally put a haul to your wheel.
    - surprised they let you ride the trails if muddy; most of ours get shut down.....I have played in the mud, don't get me wrong, but with the volume of riders around here, our trails would get weathered / eroded quickly if riders were on 'em......instead, I sometimes find the jeep & motorcycle trails to ride when possible but even those are becoming rarer......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yup. They shut fown two popular trails. Aiea loop and tantalas mountain. Those were fun. Mud is just a way of live. You will get use to it, no riding if you wait til is dry.

The perfessor
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Yup. They shut fown two popular trails. Aiea loop and tantalas mountain. Those were fun. Mud is just a way of live. You will get use to it, no riding if you wait til is dry.
    - no doubt; it always looks like Whistler, B.C. is always wet, I imagine Hawaii isn't much different other than location.....got to imagine keeping the trails in decent riding shape takes a bit of work.......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL

The perfessor
    Ok, assuming it doesn't break the bank to send this bike over to Oahu, this is the bike I'll send.......I'll spend a bit of time riding to insure there are no problems (I don't expect any), then send it on.......SS 29er + Oahu = ??-img_20190216_160227-copy.jpg
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Look at Turtle Bay. It's mostly flat. Ohana is fun if you're a complete animal. I have one friend that does it on a SS, but he's nuts. You're honestly better going to Sunset Hills. The climbs are longer, but not as steep with the occasional break. St. Louis is fun down but you'd really have to catch the bus back up. Kaena point would be a good option too.

Don't ride in the mud. A bit of tacky wet is fine, but with the nasty clay soil we have here it gums up the works something fierce and absolutely destroys the trail.