Pulling the trigger to make the move- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pulling the trigger to make the move

Looks like me and my wife are going to pull the trigger and move to Oahu in late June. My wife was born and raised in Kaneohe, and after 10 yrs here is ready to go home. Our relationship has revolved around MTB. Neither one of us wants that to change. We have both ridden the trails in Makawao forest on Maui. We have not had a chance to do much other than short hikes while visiting her family on Oahu.

How is the Mtb scene looking right now?

Decent shops to get parts and gear?

Any local groups or clubs to look into? I do like to dig....

Not looking for lowbrow hook ups on spots as I don't want to put places on blast all over the internet, just want to get a general feel for what's up on the Island.
    I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the neighbors.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bike factory is the shop. All the good parts.

If you are from mainland, the local trails are going to be east coast rooty and not much fun. Start with a trail by kaneohe call ohana. It will lead you to other things and the local riding group.

The other shops like Island Triathlon bikes and the bike shop are okay too.

mtbr member
    Pupukea has a lot of great trails as well, along with the north shore bike park at turtle bay / Kawela bay. The real fun is Laie and St. Louis, with Kailua hainge a few other hidden gems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys. Out of more curiosity, I was going to snag some tires and some other stuff spares before we move, cheaper here for sure. Curious what tire combos people are running in that area? I am on a mid travel 29.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Most of the time of year is about not having a lot of mud wedging against your fork and chainstays. Personally, I run very narrow tires in order to maximize my ride time. 2.1s and mud tires. No compact thread designs. Something like Kenda Small Block 8 is disaster.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 2obscura View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Out of more curiosity, I was going to snag some tires and some other stuff spares before we move, cheaper here for sure. Curious what tire combos people are running in that area? I am on a mid travel 29.
    People here ride the gamut. One in our group rides long travel 29, other 27.5, im still on 26. We also are older and dont ride when its wet anymore, most trails here are very high in clay and pack like mad wyen wet.
    Ohana is in Kailua/waimanalo, right in your wifes neiggborhood. That would be the go to to start. Its a new trail and built smooth. Past couple times i actually rode it on my cross bike with 700c slicks. You can blast it in an hour, or explore all the offshoots and spend a lot of time there.
    Sunset Hills in Pupukea is the other big riding spot. A maze of trails, can spend the day there. Also pretty smooth.
    Other trails are older school and will tend to involve narrower, rooty, rocky stuff. I honestly havent gone to any of the old trails in a while.
    Oh, St louis heights in town is our after work ride. Primarily a DH network.

mtbr member
    Sorry for the long reply. Been juggling work, shipping quotes and dealing with yahoos on Craigslist and other places to sell things. (Selling a lot of our possessions before we move).

Yep one of the times I rode on Maui the wet was an issue. Trails had just reopened from recent rains. I was warned about what they called "Hawaiian Ice". Clay sandy-ish soil especially on the roots and rocks its is super slick, but it is a hell of a lot of fun to get loose. I Miss that from my moto days. I appreciate the spots and info you guys are throwing to me. I will be checking those places in time........

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Post when you are on Island. I live right below Ohana and would meet you at the trail head and show you around. Ohana is a nice intro and the side trails are great for some faster or more technical options and allow you to really mix it up each ride. I'm riding 23. rear and 2.5 front Maxxis DHR and DHF on my 140mm 29r and the 2.3 on my 27.5 in the same model tire. I'f I only stayed on Ohana, mostly loose over hardpack I would go with a faster tire but I go with the more aggressive tire for the control on the side trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPHI View Post
    Post when you are on Island. I live right below Ohana and would meet you at the trail head and show you around. Ohana is a nice intro and the side trails are great for some faster or more technical options and allow you to really mix it up each ride. I'm riding 23. rear and 2.5 front Maxxis DHR and DHF on my 140mm 29r and the 2.3 on my 27.5 in the same model tire. I'f I only stayed on Ohana, mostly loose over hardpack I would go with a faster tire but I go with the more aggressive tire for the control on the side trails.
    Rad, Thanks for the invite. I will definitely get in touch when we get settle in. I run the same style set up 140mm 29" 2.4 / 2.35, good to know it will work.