Justin Vander Pol

Oahu - Pupukea - thorns?

Are there problems with thorn flats at the Oahu ride spots, mostly Pupukea? It's really a tubless vs tubes question.

Heading out there in mid-Jan for a few weeks, and I'll be pedaling distance to Pupukea trails. I'm converting an old Transition hardtail as cheaply as I can back from commuter duty to trail worthy. Tubeless would mean scrounging up new tires.

I lived in Kapahulu area in 2000, but really only rode the St Louis DH trail in town. I'm not sure the Pupukea trails were even a thing back then, or at least I didn't know about them.

Whoever does trail maintenance at Pupukea, I'd love to help you throw some dirt or tune some stuff up while I'm visiting. Give me a shout and we'll connect up when I'm out there. I've got tons of trail building/designing experience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Pupukea (Sunset Hills, there is the old Pupukea aka cambodia trail, not yalking about that) is close to 0 thorn problems, havent seen any kiawe there. Kiawe tends to be a dryer area problem. Sunset Hills is well maintained, mostly smooth. Heck when i get my cross bike ill prob try it out there for SnG. I dont know how to get in contact with the builders there. At the least youll find rakes throughout the trails. Just stop and rake sections of trail When you find one.
    Hopefully its dry when u get here, they said its supposed to be a dryer than normal winter, but its sure not like that right now!

Justin Vander Pol
    Cool, thanks. Will be fun spot to dork around if it's dry and get a little exercise.

Reading about Kealia on TrailForks, I think I'll put on decent tires and actually bring a pack so I can do the full meal deal there. Looks like my kind of fun... we'll see how a crappy old Tora fork that a friend gave me for a 6-pack does there

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    Cool, thanks. Will be fun spot to dork around if it's dry and get a little exercise.

Reading about Kealia on TrailForks, I think I'll put on decent tires and actually bring a pack so I can do the full meal deal there. Looks like my kind of fun... we'll see how a crappy old Tora fork that a friend gave me for a 6-pack does there
    Dude, kealia is gnarly. Narrow, lots of rocks, exposure. Technical like the rocky technical stuff on st louis, but narrow. Dont fall off!
    Ride up sucks if tou take the Peacock flats access road, steep and hot. Did i mention its hot? Incline wise it like rising up Tantalus in half the distance. Otherwise going up kealia will be hiking with you bike.

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Dude, kealia is gnarly. Narrow, lots of rocks, exposure. Technical like the rocky technical stuff on st louis, but narrow. Dont fall off!
    Awesome, now I really want to hit it. Getting up there definitely sounds like a slog, but gotta pay to play.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    Awesome, now I really want to hit it. Getting up there definitely sounds like a slog, but gotta pay to play.
    Ok, just so you know what youre into! If you like how it sounds, then i think you’ll love it, and all the hikers will look at you in amazement. Im not kidding about dont fall off, its a narrow switchback up steep face.
    I still remeber back in the day participating in a hell race there. Ride up the access road, hang on down Kealia, in a full ridgid! I actually did better than i usually did.