Oahu: Gravel bike rentals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Oahu: Gravel bike rentals?

I知 heading to Oahu at the end of the month and was planning to bring my Specialized Sequoia with me (I did this on my last trip and it was great). Unfortunately I have a new vehicle and the bike bag won稚 fit with the bike packed in it.

I can find plenty of road bikes, but they all come with skinny tires without any real off-road traction. I値l be riding on some dirt trails and some roads, so a mixed use tire is necessary.

Does anyone know of any shops that will rent a cross or gravel style bike?

Another option is to just pack it up my bike at the airport but that sounds like a huge PITA so I壇 like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Give a call to Bikeadelic Hawaii. I'm not sure if they have gravel bikes but it's owned by a friend Travis. He road bikes, mountain bikes and I believe he has participated in the local cyclocross. If he doesn't have one, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Awesome, thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Looks like The Bike Shop has Specialized Diverge rentals. https://www.bikeshophawaii.com/artic...ntals-pg70.htm

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yeah, I called them and it turns out they run slicks on them. Otherwise that would have been perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Alright, I think I'll just put the bike in the bag at the airport. Seems easier, particularly since we are staying in Ko Olina which is the opposite direction from the airport for most of the bike shops.

Hawaiian used to charge $50 for a bike, they've since doubled that to $100.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wish Hawaiian would get witg the program and do away with the charge.
    Where are you planning to ride? Granted much of the roads here are like offroad, thus why i want even fatter slicks on commutes. I did Ohana trail a couple times on my commuting slicks, that was hilarious.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It looks like there is a long set of railroad tracks with a decent path along side them. It runs right by the hotel and I can either ride up along the beach clockwise or the other direction and head into town. There are a bunch of roads around there too but I would prefer dirt. I値l be staying in the Ko Olina area for the most part. I get my rides in early before it gets too hot and while the family is still lazing around in the mornings.

My bike has 700x50 Soma Cazadero tires on it and I love them. They have a great center tread for roads and decent tread for dirt and even some mud. They worked well two years ago when I rode around the dirt paths on Maui and I知 hopeful they will be just as good this time around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
    It looks like there is a long set of railroad tracks with a decent path along side them. It runs right by the hotel and I can either ride up along the beach clockwise or the other direction and head into town. There are a bunch of roads around there too but I would prefer dirt. I値l be staying in the Ko Olina area for the most part. I get my rides in early before it gets too hot and while the family is still lazing around in the mornings.

My bike has 700x50 Soma Cazadero tires on it and I love them. They have a great center tread for roads and decent tread for dirt and even some mud. They worked well two years ago when I rode around the dirt paths on Maui and I知 hopeful they will be just as good this time around.
    Cool, i believe you can ride all the way to Pearl Harbor.