Oahu: Gravel bike rentals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Oahu: Gravel bike rentals?

Iím heading to Oahu at the end of the month and was planning to bring my Specialized Sequoia with me (I did this on my last trip and it was great). Unfortunately I have a new vehicle and the bike bag wonít fit with the bike packed in it.

I can find plenty of road bikes, but they all come with skinny tires without any real off-road traction. Iíll be riding on some dirt trails and some roads, so a mixed use tire is necessary.

Does anyone know of any shops that will rent a cross or gravel style bike?

Another option is to just pack it up my bike at the airport but that sounds like a huge PITA so Iíd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Give a call to Bikeadelic Hawaii. I'm not sure if they have gravel bikes but it's owned by a friend Travis. He road bikes, mountain bikes and I believe he has participated in the local cyclocross. If he doesn't have one, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Awesome, thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Looks like The Bike Shop has Specialized Diverge rentals. https://www.bikeshophawaii.com/artic...ntals-pg70.htm

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yeah, I called them and it turns out they run slicks on them. Otherwise that would have been perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Alright, I think I'll just put the bike in the bag at the airport. Seems easier, particularly since we are staying in Ko Olina which is the opposite direction from the airport for most of the bike shops.

Hawaiian used to charge $50 for a bike, they've since doubled that to $100.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wish Hawaiian would get witg the program and do away with the charge.
    Where are you planning to ride? Granted much of the roads here are like offroad, thus why i want even fatter slicks on commutes. I did Ohana trail a couple times on my commuting slicks, that was hilarious.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It looks like there is a long set of railroad tracks with a decent path along side them. It runs right by the hotel and I can either ride up along the beach clockwise or the other direction and head into town. There are a bunch of roads around there too but I would prefer dirt. Iíll be staying in the Ko Olina area for the most part. I get my rides in early before it gets too hot and while the family is still lazing around in the mornings.

My bike has 700x50 Soma Cazadero tires on it and I love them. They have a great center tread for roads and decent tread for dirt and even some mud. They worked well two years ago when I rode around the dirt paths on Maui and Iím hopeful they will be just as good this time around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
    It looks like there is a long set of railroad tracks with a decent path along side them. It runs right by the hotel and I can either ride up along the beach clockwise or the other direction and head into town. There are a bunch of roads around there too but I would prefer dirt. Iíll be staying in the Ko Olina area for the most part. I get my rides in early before it gets too hot and while the family is still lazing around in the mornings.

My bike has 700x50 Soma Cazadero tires on it and I love them. They have a great center tread for roads and decent tread for dirt and even some mud. They worked well two years ago when I rode around the dirt paths on Maui and Iím hopeful they will be just as good this time around.
    Cool, i believe you can ride all the way to Pearl Harbor.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Good place for gravel ride is Kaena point. Is in your direction, or at least half way there already from town.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks. Rode up the coast a bit yesterday morning, ran into a bunch of stray dogs around the Kahe Point area so hopped on the road for a bit.

My morning is full today but I will probably head out in the other direction today along the tracks towards Pearl Harbor after lunch. Hopefully this wind dies down by then. There are a lot fewer houses over here up the side of the mountain. I was hoping to get some elevation in by riding the neighborhoods up the hills too, but that may be difficult.

Either way Iím just happy to get some rides in when itís not 40 degrees and rainy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Not sure how far you are looking to ride but 2 weeks ago a buddy of mine took me on a mountain bike ride in Makaha Valley. It's not suitable for a gravel bike but it parallels an access road that the Board of Water Supply uses that runs up into the valley and that would be perfect for a gravel bike. Makaha Valley is a bit far from you, about 11 miles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Good suggestion, and would be a great option but Iím trying to avoid needing to take the car so if my family wants to go somewhere they have that option.

Riding up along the beach I see what appear to be homeless camps. We have a lot of that back home in Seattle and it seems the situation here is similar. I ended up turning around and heading back to the hotel after coming across a pretty big encampment.

My dream of riding the tracks may not materialize as there were a bunch of Keep Out signs along the route. Strava heat maps show that the tracks get rides quite often but I try to respect private property when I can. I did find a way through to the Barbers Point area though, going from the Ko Olina boat launch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Good suggestion, and would be a great option but Iím trying to avoid needing to take the car so if my family wants to go somewhere they have that option.

Riding up along the beach I see what appear to be homeless camps. We have a lot of that back home in Seattle and it seems the situation here is similar. I ended up turning around and heading back to the hotel after coming across a pretty big encampment.

My dream of riding the tracks may not materialize as there were a bunch of Keep Out signs along the route. Strava heat maps show that the tracks get rides quite often but I try to respect private property when I can. I did find a way through to the Barbers Point area though, going from the Ko Olina boat launch.
    Oops, i neglected to post that the ride out west to Kaena Pt. Is scenic, but runs throught rough neighborhoods and yes, homeless encampments are a problem all over. Road conditions are marginal too.
    Was going to do a road ride this morning but i woke up really slugish, and those winds? Theyve kicked up more! All the rains have cancelled any plans for trail ride this weekend.
    Im not sure what the status of the path is. Theres a official bike path from Pearl to close to Kapolei but not sure past that how far its officially open. I dont live that side of the island so not so familiar.
    Its pretty sad the bike friendliness of hawaii/oahu is not great, theyre trying but its pretty fragmented. And honestly the ďprotectedĒ bike lanes they have put in i have to ride slower and be extra vigilant when using them because cars need to cross it to get in and out of businesses, and street parking is allowed side it which impeeds Views of the bike riders in the lane.
    Anyway, sorry the weather isnt the greatest right now, but this is winter in Hawaii. It cant be all blue skies and sunshine, we do need the rain too.
    Oh yeah, part of the rail line is ďactiveĒ. Every once in a while they run an old restored steam locomotive on a small section of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Iím from Seattle. This weather is excellent, and riding in the rain is a non issue for me.

Itís a bit drier over here, but the wind has been strong. I got in a 17 mile ride this morning, so no worries there. Iím just glad to be here. My wife grew up in Honolulu and we try to get back here every other year or so. Iím learning more about the bike conditions each time Iím here. I generally donít like road biking, I feel pretty vulnerable and texting drivers are everywhere it seems.

Anyhow, thanks for all the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Rode this morning, about 18 miles, from Kailua, up Old Pali Road and down Kaneohe side into Hoomaluhia. Was going to come back the same way but it started pouring so hard that I made a run for the coast and headed back by Kaneohe Bay Drive. Wind was real strong. It's a good gravel bike route, I did it on the mountain bike, trails are soaked on this side.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Iím going to just treat this like a blog for anyone else coming along later who might be looking for the same thing.

Rode over to the industrial area on Barbers Point again. You can cut through by the boat launch you go to the far left of the fence.

A group of riders caught up with me after following me through the fence. They were on real road bikes, Iím on my Sequoia with 50mm tubeless gravel tires so they dropped me pretty easily. I meandered around the area a bit before heading back. Rode up the beach a ways as well, the highway has a decently wide shoulder but I just canít get used to riding that close to fast moving cars. I donít know how you roadies do it.

side note, my wife grew up in the Alewa Heights area, we went and visited her old house. Those hills are steep and I saw a couple guys riding up them in the mid day heat. Ugh. If itís over 80 degrees in Seattle everyone basically stops riding. Haha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Iím going to just treat this like a blog for anyone else coming along later who might be looking for the same thing.

Rode over to the industrial area on Barbers Point again. You can cut through by the boat launch you go to the far left of the fence.

A group of riders caught up with me after following me through the fence. They were on real road bikes, Iím on my Sequoia with 50mm tubeless gravel tires so they dropped me pretty easily. I meandered around the area a bit before heading back. Rode up the beach a ways as well, the highway has a decently wide shoulder but I just canít get used to riding that close to fast moving cars. I donít know how you roadies do it.

side note, my wife grew up in the Alewa Heights area, we went and visited her old house. Those hills are steep and I saw a couple guys riding up them in the mid day heat. Ugh. If itís over 80 degrees in Seattle everyone basically stops riding. Haha.
    Yeah, lately if im road riding i leave at crack of dawn. I was late yesterday on the road atabout 740. I live East side so some decent routes. Kalanianaole from Hawaii Kai to kahala is good. The neighborhood is upscale and good roads, up around Diamond head, currently being repaved. Down through kapiolani park, then can go onto the bike path along golf course, or blast straight down ala wai. From there routes get more challenging though. Did a 40 mile ride yesterday of that approximate route, included Tantalus run. unfortunate that the stretch on the officiallyscenic byway designated from Hanauma bay to sandys is horrible for bicycles. Very scenic, i know some people who have ridden there, but very narrow shoulders, winding road with limited visibilty, zero bailout for much of it.