Maui 8 days, bring my bike or rent (a roadbike)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Maui 8 days, bring my bike or rent (a roadbike)?

I just read through Bortis Yelltzen's thread from last December and am now leaning towards bringing my own bike, but I'll ask anyways.

Wife, son, and I will be in Maui (staying at the Marriott in Wailea) next week, Monday to the following Tuesday. I'll be in meetings Wed, Thu, and Fri, and with the family the rest of the time.

After reading a thread on another board, I got to thinking I'd like to bike up Haleakala from the ocean. I have an S&S case that I can get my Turner Flux into and carry the bike for free, but was thinking it'd be more convenient to rent a road bike there for the week instead. For the Turner I figured I'd put skinnies on the wheels, lock out the shocks, and pedal (I've got a Jones H-bar, so might be able to do it comfortably).

I can't spend too much time away from the family, but if I can find something for them to do, I can get away for a couple hours here and there.

Should I bring my own bike? Abandon the idea of riding 30 miles uphill and leave the knobbies on instead?

Thanks!

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    I just read through Bortis Yelltzen's thread from last December and am now leaning towards bringing my own bike, but I'll ask anyways.

Wife, son, and I will be in Maui (staying at the Marriott in Wailea) next week, Monday to the following Tuesday. I'll be in meetings Wed, Thu, and Fri, and with the family the rest of the time.

After reading a thread on another board, I got to thinking I'd like to bike up Haleakala from the ocean. I have an S&S case that I can get my Turner Flux into and carry the bike for free, but was thinking it'd be more convenient to rent a road bike there for the week instead. For the Turner I figured I'd put skinnies on the wheels, lock out the shocks, and pedal (I've got a Jones H-bar, so might be able to do it comfortably).

I can't spend too much time away from the family, but if I can find something for them to do, I can get away for a couple hours here and there.

Should I bring my own bike? Abandon the idea of riding 30 miles uphill and leave the knobbies on instead?

Thanks!
    Unless you're really strong forget about climbing Haleakala in a couple of hours, especially on a locked out mt. bike. The record time is 2:38 by Jonathan Vaughters and the average time is over 4 hours. It's 36 miles and 10,000' up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Unless you're really strong forget about climbing Haleakala in a couple of hours, especially on a locked out mt. bike. The record time is 2:38 by Jonathan Vaughters and the average time is over 4 hours. It's 36 miles and 10,000' up.
    Understood on the duration. I suggested to my wife that she could drop me off at 7am, go back to the hotel and hang out at the pool, then meet me at the top at about noon.

This is the page that got me considering the ride:
    http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/haleakala.htm

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    Understood on the duration. I suggested to my wife that she could drop me off at 7am, go back to the hotel and hang out at the pool, then meet me at the top at about noon.

This is the page that got me considering the ride:
    http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/haleakala.htm
    It's a workout for sure. I did it in 4:09 and Airwreck was closer to 3.5 hrs. I did it during a "Cycle to the Sun" event a couple of years ago and if I'd beat 4 hours I probably wouldn't ever even think of doing it again. There are lots of nicer rides on the island (plenty of mountain biking and the road to Hana is hard to beat for a beautiful road ride) but it is a destination "I conquered the mountain" type of ride for most who do it. If that's the only ride you're going to do, I'd leave your bike at home and try Go Cycling Maui and see if they're running a tour up there. I'm not sure if they rent bikes outside of their tours, but they have all new Lightspeeds and Donnie Arnouldt (the ex-pro owner) is a great guy.

mtbr member
    I took my MTB to Maui a few years ago and did one day of road and one day of dirt riding. If I didn't have to socialize with the non-riders I was with, I would've explored more. I did some research on trail reviews for Hawaii before my trip. I found a cool little ride at Polipoli State Park. I got a map from a local MTB/surf shop close to the airport. The ride was pretty cool. You actually ride in elevation (approx 8000') among pine trees and lava rocks and, of course, beautiful views of the ocean. The climb was on a fire road and the descent was on flowy singletrack on lava and dirt that twisted around the pine trees. At that time, there was only a short loop, 7 miles (maybe), but they were in the process of creating more singletrack. I would definitely check out that ride or contact some locals.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiva
    I took my MTB to Maui a few years ago and did one day of road and one day of dirt riding. If I didn't have to socialize with the non-riders I was with, I would've explored more. I did some research on trail reviews for Hawaii before my trip. I found a cool little ride at Polipoli State Park. I got a map from a local MTB/surf shop close to the airport. The ride was pretty cool. You actually ride in elevation (approx 8000') among pine trees and lava rocks and, of course, beautiful views of the ocean. The climb was on a fire road and the descent was on flowy singletrack on lava and dirt that twisted around the pine trees. At that time, there was only a short loop, 7 miles (maybe), but they were in the process of creating more singletrack. I would definitely check out that ride or contact some locals.
    That's out of the question right now. Three weeks ago a 7000 acre fire destroyed pretty much all of those pine trees and the area will be closed for quite a while.

mtbr member
    Please PM me and let me know how it turns out if you ride the mountain. I plan to rent a Cannondale R5000 from West Maui Cycles and ride the mountain while I am out there in late March.
    Have at it!

Members who have read this thread: 0