Xeon Rear Shock Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Xeon Rear Shock Help

I'm a proud owner of a new 2008 Xeon Comp. I've just finished setting the sag and rebound for the fork and will start setting sag for the rear shocks. The bike came with a Rock Shox Monarch 3.1 rear shock.

A problem I encountered with setting the sag is that I can't seem to access the swivel air valve of the shock to check the air pressure.. There is no room for the valve to swing freely into its open position. The valve comes into contact with the frame. It seems that the only way i can access the valve is to remove the shaft eyelet from the frame, remove the shock, open the air valve then return everything. Or is it possible to invert the shock so I can have free access to the air valve?

Am I doing something wrong? I'm doing this all by myself with only the manuals as reference.

Thanks very much.

mtbr member
    It sounds like possibly the factory (or maybe even the shop) mounted the rear shock backwards. The can of the shock should face the rear of the bike with the adjustments pointing up. You can refer to the photos on our website to show you the correct position. Granted here in the US, the bikes come with Pearl shocks, but the placement is still the same.

Just flip the shock around; the shock bushings and spacers are the same size on both ends.

Just let me know if you need more help with this. If you feel like you're over your head with it, don't be shy about taking it back to the shop for help. Since you bought it from them, they shouldn't charge you much (if anything) to flip it.

Keep us posted on how you like your Xeon!

Feb 2007
    Just wanna comment on the thread started by raz. I supplied him the unit so I should be responsible for anything that would involve with this rear shock issue. Anyways, I've consulted with my Distributor yesterday and there seems to be a simple solution to this predicament. It's as simple as unscrewing the shock bolt on the CAN side & turn the swivel of the valve outward. But as you do this be carefull and make sure the rear triangle is secured so it won't swing all the way or else the you would get your FD cables whacked. Anyway's to give you an idea of what sir raz is encountering.I'll post a photo of the rear shock as mounted on the new 08 Xeon Comp.

As you can see on the photo. The valve should be sticking out the shock and not tucked in.. So there you go.I hope this would help solve the problem.
    Cheers & ride hard,

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    @ downhill jill

The rear shox is mounted the same way as in haro's website. the problem, as pointed out and shown by nemra above, the valve is tucked in instead of flipped out. I followed nemra's solution above and have been able to set the sag for the rear shox. Everything is now well with my Xeon.

I was suppose to take it out on a trail ride this weekend, unfortunately my wife's grandmother died today so I have to postpone my ride. I will post some comments on the bike once I take it out for a ride. But in terms of looks, its just screams bad-ass. The bike's all black save for the fork and i'm thinking of calling it "Venom"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    @ nemra

Thanks for the advice. Till the next upgrade.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the pics. That help clarify things; it initially sounded like the shock may have been installed backwards. Looks like the factory didn't turn the valve up before installing the rear shock. I'll advise them that this has to be turned up before installation.

Damn, that bike looks awesome. Be sure to set up the sag with your compression open and with no more than 12mm. Once you get that, you can dial the compression to where you want it. As long as you set it up that way, the bike will ride as sweet as it looks. Be sure to give us a full ride report!

Members who have read this thread: 0