X6 Rear Shock Question- Mtbr.com

Mar 2007

X6 Rear Shock Question

Hello all,

Been lurking here for a few weeks and joined this AM so go easy on me. Am interested in changing the X-Fusion rear shock on my 06 X6 and was wondering what some thoughts were on the RockShox MC-3.3. Have read what you were saying Jill about the Fox and was interested to see if anyone had any thoughts on this. I found one here in town and its a 165X38. Will that fit my 2006 X6? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Dan

Mar 2007
    Just answered my own question about the size, thanks to a Haro Bikes post a few pages back so ignore that part, any opinions of that shock though? Thanks

Dan

mtbr member
    The RockShox MC3.3 is a nice shock. It's an airshock, so it will save you a boatload of weight assuming you have the stock coil spring shock still on the bike.

Mar 2007
    Yeah I ended up going with the 3.1, evidently the 3.3 was either difficult to get in the 200mm version or according to some vendors no made (which contradicts the SRAM webpage). It should be here Monday so I will give it a beating and let you guys know. Thanks Jill for the response. Do you have any idea what the X-6 frame weighs? (2006 model 16")

Dan

mtbr member
    uber_johnny ,

How do you find the new shocks?good?

Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Deto
    uber_johnny ,

How do you find the new shocks?good?
    Well funny you ask, I got the shock dailed in for its first outing at the local trails and on Saturday I gave it a thorough beating. My first impressions are that its an amazing upgrade over the X-Fusion that my 06 had. It never bottomed out. When I was installing it I rode it around in the street and was amazed at how the motion control works for the pedaling. I started with the recomendations of 1/2 my weight (I weight 175 so I started with about 85lbs) for the air pressure and set it up running about 10mm of sag. I am not sure if this is the proper setup but its amazing how nice the rebound is not to mention how much lighter it is than the stock coil X-Fusion. I am running the frame in the 6" travel mode and its a great setup for where I have been riding. If anyone has any insight as for setting it up different please let me, I am a tad new at setting up my own rear shock.

Dan

Apr 2007
    I would like also to ask about the rear shck of the X6, when I purchased it, it is located in the 6", now I moved it to 5", what will be the effect of this on my ride.

Another thing, how to tighten the screws in te eyes of the shocks, should I tighten them that the shocks will not freely move, or shall I allow the shocks to freely move.

What I mean to freely move here is when I remove the opposite end from its attachement, I can move the shock up and down, if really tight, it will be hard to move it up and down.

mtbr member
    Well, you will have 1" less travel for starters. You'll also stiffen the spring rate up a little bit when you go from the 6" setting to the 5".

Torque specs for the rear shock bolts are 95 to 110 inch/lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    uber jonnhy,

how īs the shock holding up for now?

itīs been a while since you bought it, could you please share info about it?

thereīs a chance iīll get one mc 3.1 too..

and i have a x2 frame, same as x6...

do you do drops? if so does it bottom out alot?

Does the motion control fully open makes the shock feel the small bumps well, for descending?

i donīt really mind if it bobs a little, but what i donīt really want are shocks that dont absorb small bumps...

is the motion control really effective?

thanks in advance,

Pedro Marcolino

mtbr member
    Hi, I need some help on the air rear shock for my X1 (same as X6). What would be a good choice? My style is, generally, "All Mountain", I do uphills and some long trips (this is why I consider going for an air shock) but like shredding down the hill, do some jumps etc.
    I heard that air shocks tend to bottom out with this frame and it needs a big compression shocks.

I thought about Rock Shox MC3.3 or X-Fusion RLX. Which one would be better? If none, what should I look for?

Thanks in advance, I'd really appreciate some help

Members who have read this thread: 0