X6 - Basic Upgrade Questions (Thru axle, etc.)- Mtbr.com

Apr 2007

X6 - Basic Upgrade Questions (Thru axle, etc.)

X6 - Basic Upgrade Questions:

Any reason (frame limitation, etc.) that the rear axle couldn't be converted to a 12mm thru axle?
    (I'm assuming I'd need a new wheel, or at least a new hub.)

Any problem w/ changing chainrings to 3-ring setup? (Not sure that I'd do this, but I'd like to know that I had the option)

Any problem changing out 8spd cassette for a 9spd? Would this require a new (rear) shifter?

What's rear tire clearance like? Would 2.5's fit?

Lastly, is there any place that sells the X6 (or X7) as frame-only?

Thanks in advanced for any input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    X6 - Basic Upgrade Questions:

12mm thru axle? i think the x7 has a 12mm thru axle, but has diferent droputs.
    i think the x6 has 9 mm qr dropouts, i guess 10mm can be fitted.

i guess no problem, but of course u must loose the bash ring.

No problem changing out 8spd cassette for a 9spd.

Would this require a new (rear) shifter? yes if it is a 8 spd one....

What's rear tire clearance like? Would 2.5's fit? maxxis high roller 2.5 fits, but kenda 2.5 i dont think so, or at least if your wheel bends a little itīll touch the sides. depends on tire brand, 2.5 sizes vary...

Lastly, is there any place that sells the X6 (or X7) as frame-only?

in portugal, yes, ciclo coimbroes...

mtbr member
    Standard to 12mm....don't recommend it. Like Marcolino said, the DO's are totally different. I have heard scary tales of people filing out their DO's to accomodate oversized axles, but don't advise it. Not to mention the fact it voids your warranty.

2 rings to 3...no problem. You'll need to remove the bash guard and re-adjust your front derailleur to shift up to the big ring.

8 to 9 speed...again, no problem but it will require a new right hand shifter, new cassette, and possibly new chain at least. Since I don't know what other components you have (is this a stock bike? What year?), you may also need new derailleurs and chainrings.

2.5's will fit fine.

We didn't offer the X6 as a frameset only but did sell a limited quantity of Werx 7 (X7) frames. We are sold out, but dealers may have some on their floors.

I hope that helps!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Standard to 12mm....don't recommend it. Like Marcolino said, the DO's are totally different. I have heard scary tales of people filing out their DO's to accomodate oversized axles, but don't advise it. Not to mention the fact it voids your warranty.

2 rings to 3...no problem. You'll need to remove the bash guard and re-adjust your front derailleur to shift up to the big ring.

8 to 9 speed...again, no problem but it will require a new right hand shifter, new cassette, and possibly new chain at least. Since I don't know what other components you have (is this a stock bike? What year?), you may also need new derailleurs and chainrings.

2.5's will fit fine.

We didn't offer the X6 as a frameset only but did sell a limited quantity of Werx 7 (X7) frames. We are sold out, but dealers may have some on their floors.

I hope that helps!
    Can I use double crown forks on X6 frames? What are the differences between X6 and X6LT Frames?

Shop *****
    I have an X6 frame for sale (W/ X-Fusion shock) 2006 model, if you wanted to buy it... I had a dual crown on it, so it works, yes, but sometimes feels a little raked out with over 170mm travel. PM me if you're interested int he frame...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenjoyrosana
    Can I use double crown forks on X6 frames? What are the differences between X6 and X6LT Frames?
    There is no difference between the frames; they are identical. Only the part spec between the two is different.

You can run a dual crown fork, but just as an FYI, it will technically void your warranty. Depending on the amout of travel on the fork you choose, your head tube angle will slack out quite a bit.

Apr 2007
    On X7, is it just fine to use a dual crown?

mtbr member
    Same deal. Neither of those bikes have been designed around dual crown forks and the stresses those types of forks place on the headtube. People do it (I ran a Boxxer on my X7), but we don't recommend it because they really need to have some beefed up gussets in the headtube area.

Apr 2007
    How long is the warranty period for the 07 X6 frames? I purchased the Haro X6 here in the Philippines via Hans Gee, my friends also wanted to purchase but they want to know the warranty period and warranty coverage, if it is frames only or all of the components attached to the bike.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    All of our full suspension frames come with a limited 5-year warranty against defects in workmanship and material. Exclusions do apply such as abuse, normal wear and tear, etc. Parts on complete bikes are subject to each individual parts manufacturer's warranty policies.

Apr 2007
    Where can I register my bike or can you check my bike serial number if it is under your warranty coverage?

So if my frame has a defect, can I have Hans Gee Philippines replace it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by glenjoyrosana; 05-11-2007 at 09:03 AM.

mtbr member
    We don't require bike registration for warranty coverage; your proof of purchase (receipt) is your "registration".

If you need warranty service, your local Haro dealer will be your first point of contact; they will in turn contact Hans Gee.

Members who have read this thread: 0