X6 Adjustable Travel - who uses it?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2007

X6 Adjustable Travel - who uses it?

Just curious - what's the benefit of adjustable rear travel?

I can see lowering your fork for better climbing, but what situations would make you choose less travel in back?

(And on a related note - does anyone find that too much rear travel makes bunnyhopping more difficult?)

Thanks in advanced for any responses

Apr 2007
    Hi, maybe you should have just posted this in the Haro X6 thread, for the members can easily keep track of questions regarding the Haro X6.

mtbr member
    Generally speaking, people will set their X6 bikes on the 5" setting if they are using the bike in situations where they might be doing more climbing and trail riding. Less travel tends to be more efficient in cases like that since the bike has less travel to go through and it changes the leverage on the spring, making it a little stiffer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    X2 owner here...same basic frame.

I started riding mine in the 6" mode & switched it to the 5" for awhile. It felt snappier & climbed better.

But after switching to the 6" setting again, I've left it there & just tried harder on the climbs. 6" setting feels much more plush downhill that I'm willing to suffer w/ the loss in efficiency uphill for it.

Bunnyhopping can be a bit tough w/ this much travel. It does soak up a lot of your energy...not to mention the bike is well over 30 lbs. But if you practice preloading the suspension you should still be able to get the bike up fairly easy...at least I have been able to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Something to consider when chaning travel on a fixed pivot system... When you change the leverage ratio, you change the load as perceived by the spring in the shock. Using a 200lb rider as an example, that can mean almost a difference of 100lbs of spring-rate to achieve the same sag percentage.

The main reason I point that out is because I have heard people complain about the bike feeling better in one setting or another, and it may be partially attributed to it being setup with the proper spring-rate in one travel mode, then being under/over sprung when changed.

Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    on the x2 model = x6 the difference between positioning the shock at 5 or 6 inch is very noticeable.

i have it setup to the 6" travel.i think that for fr is the better setting. yet there are some that will enjoy the 5" because of the slacker angle. probably dirt jumpers...

for me to use the 5" mode it would require a new spring...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    You bring up an interesting point by mentioning the change in HA with the change in travel. If you're running something like a DHX, 5th, etc where you can use the shock to somewhat dial in some progressiveness, you can probably make the 5" mode feel like the same amount of travel as the 6" mode with the stock xglyde.

Jill,

Do you know if the head angle displayed on the various years of the X1/2/3 - X6 on the website was measured in 6" mode or 5" mode? If it was in 6", what is the net change in head angle by changing to 5" mode?

Thanks,
    Chris

Members who have read this thread: 0